Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Snowden's permission to asylum in Russia is dependent on him not upsetting the Russians too much. But that's to be expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gorilla Salad posted:

Snowden revealed the atrocities of a government which disappears people and tortures them for years and people wonder why he ran for it?

People are wondering why he ran for it to two countries that had been known to do that even more (and hadn't managed to plan how to get to similarly sheltering countries that did not have such blatant records, indeed why he hadn't seemed to plan at all).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Man those ceilings were claustrophobicly low in the WTC. Did that particular office just drop its suspended ceiling way too low or were they all only 8' or so? There's something about the huge wide horizontal space with a low ceiling and narrow windows that makes for a pretty horrible looking work environment. Is it even 8'?? Looks barely a few inches about a door frame on the right there.

There was a good 11 feet between the structural floor on each level and the bottom of the floors on the next level up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The best part is people who accept that the classic pyramid shape is the best way... and then state this means aliens had to tell them about because how would they know. As if there aren't tons of failed and bent pyramids out there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

chairface posted:

Hasn't HAARP been turned off and shuttered anyway? Or is that just what they want us to think?! :tinfoil:

HAARP is inactive most of the year regardless, because the experiments and tests done with it are only viable during certain times of the year and space weather conditions. Some of the things are even sensitive to certain times of day.

But yeah they're in a temporary shutdown of major functionality because contractors are being changed, although limited work continues on.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gen. Ripper posted:

What does HAARP do anyways?

(Anyone who answers "Summons natural disasters on behalf of the Zionist Illuminati" will have a muffin thrown at them. And it will be pointy.)

Shoot a bunch of radio energy into the ionosphere to try to trigger auroras and influence ones that show up on their own. It's abasically a research facility for the aurora.

Doing this helps research the ionosphere because it's hard to otherwise measure due to it not being practical to measure that layer of the atmosphere by way of balloons (it's too thin for most of them to be practical) or satellites directly inside it (there's still too much gas around to keep stable orbits unless you were firing off rocket engines to boost up every few hours).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duck monster posted:

I seem to recall it also had something to do with radio communications. SOMETHING to do with super low frequencies, in the tens of hertz at the most which can penetrate the ocean and let the US govt maintain radio contact with subs.

Sure its secret, but not because its some sort of crazy mindcontrol jewbeam

We use a bunch of different radio masts all over NATO countries, Canada, Australia, and other allied nations for the various radio systems to reach subs.

Halloween Jack posted:

How rich and powerful are the Rothschilds, anyway? Like, compared to the Marses or Waltons?

They used to be very wealthy, and like other extremely wealthy families would have strong influence on national governments and large businesses by being able to lend large amounts of money. These days, better central banking systems have taken away that whole huge slice of the family business, the lending to nations. And since there was the whole Jewish heritage thing to them, they lost a lot of stuff during the course of World War II even though they managed to get some of it back after the war. So the current ones just run successful private banks that have been around and stable a long time.

There's a lot of branches of the family of course, it having been a few hundred years, so they don't like, all work and operate together. One of the branches is even mostly about wine rather than banking.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
A burger is a healthy meal. Yes even a fast food burger there aren't magical bad food demons inside them.

A quart of soda and a pound of french fries with it isn't.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hypation posted:

OK. Who came up with the link between aliens and 9/11?

The first alien believer who saw 9/11 happen. :rimshot:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A rare instance of it being used correctly

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

katlington posted:

Hobby Lobby seriously don't use barcodes or whatever? Wow.

Yep! It's like taking a time warp back to 1973 when you go to check out in one of them. They also primarily play Christian music over the instore speakers (but no Christian rock because rock is evil!) and refuse to open on Sundays. They've also refused to carry crafting items related to any non-Christian religions or holidays.

Basically the company is literally run by the kind of people who believe Jack Chick tracts are 100% truth.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm a little shocked they haven't dropped UPCs for QR codes as the new satanic horror. Although to be fair to the Family International, they haven't quite gotten back onto their feet since their prophet lost his mind and killed a bunch of their leadership for raping him as a child.

QR codes are just double barcodes so they don't need to come up with extra stuff against them, other than that they are clearly satan squared.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's really bizarre because the Dungeon and Dragons and Harry Potter hysteria comes off the presumption that magic is real and has very serious consequences.
If spells were being published in mainstream books you can get off of Amazon I'm pretty sure it'd make national headlines and DnD would be the most popular hobby ever instead of something weird nerds who don't bathe do. Think of the military and scientific applications.

The wizards are covering everything up with their mind spells, fortunately the light of Jesus allows the righteous to fight back in limited ways.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Centripetal Horse posted:

This is discussed, but, if we assume there are huge numbers of intelligent species out there, it's statistically unlikely that we just happen to be the oldest/smartest/most advanced.

But we could easily be those things within a certain volume of space.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

made of bees posted:

So what's actually going on at the Bohemian Grove? It's just a bunch of rich old men getting drunk and naked right?

It's literally old powerful people going to the woods to play summer drama camp every year. And you can get in just by wearing a suit and looking like you belong.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Not only that, I've had someone try to prove to me that they perform a yearly human sacrifice to a giant metal owl using some grainy Alex Jones youtube video. Said person also believed the WTC was hit by missiles or empty planes or some other stupid poo poo.

They do do this. Except it's a theater dummy and it's done in the context of the yearly play they perform, where the first few acts are written anew each year (because the charter of the club mandates having a bunch of bay area artists as members who attend), and the last act with the cremation of the effigy of Care is the same.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Well holy poo poo, they were marginally less crazy than I thought.

Jon Ronson went into the Bohemian Grove the same days Alex Jones did. The difference was Jon just walked in and acted like he belonged, and went around actually talking to the people there, while Alex Jones spent most of his time hiding in bushes and poo poo.

He writes about it in his book "Them" and he also discusses it in part 4 of the TV miniseries "The Secret Rulers of the World".

Basically it's a bunch of mostly old, mostly white rich people who camp out with some California artist types for a weekend and do a big high school theater crew type performance at the end of it (although it's a high school theater performance with major city orchestras and high end lighting and tech equipment available).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SocketWrench posted:

Somehow none of this has any surprise or shock value to me, not after watching people worship, praise and kiss the feet of a cardboard image of George Bush.

Well they started doing it because it's what a group of overgrown fraternity bros thought would be totally rad and spooky back in the 30s/40s.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zeno-25 posted:

Socially acceptable schizophrenia.

I like the part where they claim Thundercats is evil because of Hinduism, and also where they claim Smurfette was created by a male Smurf transforming into female (which proves all the Smurfs are gay).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think by far the dumbest 9/11-related thing I heard was from a supervisor at a place where I was doing odd jobs. He said that he had watched a documentary that proved that Bush set up the strike on the World Trade Towers so he could get at some gold that was hidden under the base of one of the structures. As crappy a president Bush was, I refuse to believe that he was puppy-kickingly evil as to throw away hundreds of American lives just to make a grab at someone's gold. That's besides all the other ridiculous stuff (stealing is illegal, attacking the towers above ground to get at the base/foundation, storing gold underground like goblins from a fantasy novel, etc.)

Gold was stored under the WTC - at building 4, the low rise building that housed the New York Board of Trade (a set of commodities market trading floors and associated offices), Deutsche Bank (obivously, a major bank) and the main entrance to the WTC mall concourse. They weren't secret vaults though, just ones where you needed a good reason to be on that floor.

It wasn't very much gold though! And even after the twin towers and collapsed and WTC 7 caught fire and burned, 4 WTC was actually still standing pretty much ok. It was only 9 stories tall, and it was the southeast corner of the WTC site which put it about as far from any damage as you could get in the WTC complex. It was damaged beyond repair with a honking huge hole in the roof and going out a top floor after the twin towers collapsed and the occupants had been evacuated.

So yes, they did store gold at the WTC, but it was under the building that was intact and standing structurally sound after 9/11 happened. So if Bush really did want to rob the vaults, he hosed up his targeting big time. Interestingly, the replacement tower for 4 WTC? A whole loving 74 stories tall. Now that's an upgrade from 9 (and I assume part of ensuring that the replacement facilities all around can hold about the same amount of office and retail leasable space as on 9/10/01)!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah, I think he was under the impression that it was just a hollowed-out pile o' coins, Smaug-style.

Yeah that's at several buildings on and near Wall Street that together are holding gold reserves under the administration of the New York Federal Reserve Bank, with the actual owners being something like 60 countries including the US.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

muscles like this? posted:

I stopped reading that part way through, does it address the fact that Prince Albert was 25 years older than Hitler?

That's why Hitler was going seemingly crazy later in the war (typical old guy senility). Duhhh

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

How loving sick in the head do you have to be to believe this? How much effort would it take to hide all the "clues" found in the theory given here?

“Ok, I want to hide a specific number as a clue, so find me a name based on a very loose system of coded math… then break it down till you end up with two digits. Then reverse those digits.. for no reason”

Still more plausible than 9/11 being done by space lasers and actors.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I take it you never saw the SJW thread where there were literally people saying that if you didn't hate cis people you weren't actually trans, including directing those comments at other trans people? Or that if you were actually trans and didn't agree with "transethnic" or "transspecies" people you were "truscum"? It's a real loving thing, and some of them send as many death/rape threats as the "cishet scum" they hate so much. The term "SJW" has gotten intrinsically linked with the screaming idiotic masses who co-opt actual oppressed minority struggles to try to validate their feelings of persecution whenever someone says "no, 'demiromantic' is a loving truism and not a special snowflake speck on the Kinsey scale".

Half of the terms you listed have already died out everywhere but parody blogs that idiots like you still think are real, because basically all of them are fad terms that people use for about a year or two before they move on to something else.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Smoothrich posted:

How is anyone an idiot for not staying updated on ever in flux anime justice crusade terminology. It sounds like poo poo a ten year old would invent. The words are fads and how dare we not be informed ? gently caress you.

You don't see why if you want to complain about people using certain words, you should check if the words are being used first?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

boom boom boom posted:

Is demiromantic or demisexual still a thing?

They seem to have all moved onto posting erotic fanfiction about Supernatural and the new Dr Who.

Miss-Bomarc posted:

No True Scot would ever call someone cishet scum.

Except people pretty much did stop doing it unironically years ago? It's like complaining that kids these days are so into N*Sync.

Like, there's still a couple weird people totally into N*Sync still I bet, but they're otherwise irrelevant.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vorpal Cat posted:

Yea in all honesty for a post apocalyptic Mad Max world, a 1978 Ford falcon is probably one of the worst posible car choices short of a Pinto or small Fiat. You want in order reliability, the ability to mount big scary machine guns, easily available spare parts, and fuel economy. A 70s American muscle car has a negative number of those traits.

The reason some good pickups were missing in the Mad Max movies was because they were all stuck in the lovely part of the post-apocalyptic wasteland, unlike other areas where everyone had been able to get their hands on durable pickups. Wake up America!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SocketWrench posted:

Unfortunately that's not what a lot of car manufacturers want. The more reliable the car, the less they'll sell or earn on spare parts and such.

Uh, you do understand that cars manufactured these days are a ton more reliable and stay in use much longer than older cars did right? Car manufacturers are already close to fully transitioned to the business model that reflects most people driving used vehicles.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

point of return posted:

Planned obsolescence isn't so much a conspiracy theory as a thing that happened...in 1924.

Right, the conspiracist thinking is in believing it's still being done to this day on a widespread basis.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There's also people who assume since you no longer have to do easy but frequent maintenance poo poo in cars, that it means the cars must be bad and impossible to repair. Maybe Ford should start introducing dummy carbeurators to please those people.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

StandardVC10 posted:

There are also cars being built with low cost and ruggedness as key concerns, it's just that many of them are mainly marketed in developing countries rather than the USA or Western Europe.

Well that's the thing, in nations where everyone who might buy a car already owns a car and the people newly eligible to own cars (teens and young adults) don't have much money; it makes more sense for car companies to focus on building simultaneously rugged and moderate-high cost new vehicles.And then rely on people to eventually buy a new car, years on, based on "hey this used Chevy I've been driving for 8 years was great, now I can buy a new Chevy!".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SocketWrench posted:

Eh, honestly it's what I believed. Couple cars I had from the 90's and others I knew lasted for friggen ever, till a few years ago to be honest. Everyone that swapped over to newer cars all I ever hear or see is them constantly putting them in a shop because something stupid went wrong including one that had a brake light that wouldn't shut off, so the computer always thought the car was trying to slow down and wouldn't allow the transmission to shift up.

What's newer cars in this context? Honestly a lot of things that are going to go wrong are things that will happen within the first few years, typical bathtub curve. Especially if your first 90s cars were used from the start, thus meaning they lasted their first few years with someone else.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

moller posted:

On android your particular phone model eventually stops getting OS updates, and then applications stop working as they require/expect the newer OS.

Note that the phones where anywhere close to most apps no longer run are now 4-5 years old, and recent changes (placing much more of the apis into apps Google can update without upgrading the rest of the phone) will place the time period that will take longer in the future.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kit Walker posted:

If planned obsolescence is a conspiracy theory, it's the only one I can sorta buy. Like, have none of you used any computers or laptops long enough to see them break? You'd think we'd be at a point where we can make laptops that last longer than five years, but they all either start seeing the body break down (two of my laptops had the plastic around the hinges crack and break off despite gentle use) or the screen fall apart (another one had the lcd screen develop an internal crack out of the blue one day and by the end of the week was pretty much non-functional). Like, computer parts pretty clearly have a limited lifespan. Is it really a conspiracy theory to say that computer manufacturers are aware of this and continue to use such parts rather than develop ones which could feasibly last decades or more?

Like, I mean, if it's cheaper to use lovely parts and your competition is going to use lovely parts as well to make more money, then in a capitalistic system it's almost expected of you to also use lovely parts to make sure your competition doesn't get an edge on the profit-margin game. That you'd be selling fewer machines if computers lasted longer ties in pretty neatly to that, doesn't it? That's not a conspiracy theory so much as sensible business practice.

Computers used to generally last a lot less time, both in terms of being able to run "current" workloads and in physical design, while also costing much more. There are not really parts you can use that would last decades that would be suitable for installing in designs people want to use - if you need that sort of poo poo there's stuff like Toughbooks and other such hardened designs that can handle being around bomb blasts but are chunkier and not quite so fast for the money.

Also you probably didn't have the LCD crack out of the blue, something probably hit it at some point and it took a while to finally fail. Especially if you ever carried it in a bag with anything else. You want a computer that lasts a much longer time you should buy a desktop, which also won't move that much.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JFairfax posted:

It was the OSS and was called Operation Paperclip, but they didn't use Hitler to get the scientists out as he was dead in a bunker.

Even more so, the Brits, Americans, and Soviets were all grabbing scientists within their first invasion and then occupation zones just as soon as their troops were taking the land. Many of the "high value" people had already been grabbed before Hitler shot himself, and we know from multiple opposing sources that Hitler hadn't left the bunker property, let alone Berlin, for an extended time before he shot himself.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Literally The Worst posted:

As opposed to Android phones which are noted for always getting all the updates.

They actually do. Especially with the move to tying things to the app market system with the Google Services Framework.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

muscles like this? posted:

Anyway, one thing I remember hearing about Project Paperclip was that the reports on German scientists all went through a thorough white washing to remove any stain of Nazism. Instead shockingly enough every scientist just happened to be apolitical, especially Von Braun. Just ignore that whole "SS Major" thing.

Yeah this was done because plans had been put in place to staunchly refuse any nazis refuge and so on... before the military and others realized that they really wanted to grab all the researchers they could before those dang commies could.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

site posted:

Nah, we got hosed permanently because of the gas. Again speculation, but it seems pretty suspect how the generation that got massively leaded is producing the autist generation. That's a genetic effect that's not gonna go away soon, unfortunately.

You do understand that all reliable science indicates that's just an effect of how symptoms are reported, right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

site posted:

You did see the part where I prefaced that statement by saying it was pure speculation, right?

There's pure speculation and there's being ignorant of facts entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

site posted:

I knew the rabbit hole goes deeper, but took me a minute to remember how: The book's publisher, HarperCollins, is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.

That doesn't mean anything here. HarperCollins and its various imprints have minimal editorial control or philosophy inherited from Murdoch's krew.

• Locked thread