Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

How do you guys scan your instant photos so well? If I use a scanner I get a dark mess. If I photograph the photo, I get reflections....
Halp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

It is a very easy mod, that will save you money in the long run.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I cant get a hang of framing accurately with my Mamiya at minimum focusing distance, and a fast lens. Practice and burned money makes perfect.

img011 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

img009 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I'm surprised how well the instax photos using flash look. Mine just nukes everything.

Meanwhile I am still digging the FP-100c

img015 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

img020 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Anyone had experience with having their FP-100/3000 film x-rayed at the airport? Documentation states that it shouldn't be put in checked in baggage, and needs to be kept in a carry-on, but that stuff gets zapped as well....

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

There go my savings....

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

It was always my understanding that underexposing FP-100c turns everything green or blue, and I still see blue/green tint sometimes in shadows when shooting in difficult conditions. I always thought that it was just how the film responds.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

image by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

My wallet is crying.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I dragged my mamiya to Hong Kong. I definitely need to get into a rhythm with that camera, as I took way too many photos with the dark slide in. Each time I do that my wallet cries. But I got a few ok photos in the end.

img046 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

img044 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

img041 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

img043 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

img037 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

img042 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

My vertical shots safe always off center as the rangefinder on my camera is off center as well. Something I need to work on more is recomposing after focusing, but with aperture of 2.8 its not always feasible.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Thanks! Indeed I use the Universal.

Here is an attempt at negative reclamation from an underexposed FP-100c.

_DSC4571 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Completely insane question just to satisfy my curiosity, how complex is the mechanism of black-and-white peel apart packfilm, and could someone theoretically reload spent packs with their own materials and reagent? I'm just getting into instant stuff to do emulsion lifts and I have a taste for stupid pointless DIY bullshit, so I was curious as to how impossible this would exactly be.

Quite impossible, considering that the aptly named Project Impossible still can't make an emulsion worth a drat.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Hong Kong by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

My question to those that shoot on the streets, and reclaim their negs: how do you store the peel aparts after shooting? These things take forever to dry in my experience, and having the alkaline residue touching anything can create some very unfortunate effects.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I've tried putting the "negs" in the box, but then the moist negative sticks to the side of the box or another negative and the contact area in my experience creates... these splotches that look like this:

_DSC5673 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Now this is a clean negative with the alkaline side washed and the backing completely bleached out.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

_DSC5671 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

The new type 55 project seems to be still in very early stage, so I am wary giving them any of my money. But if they could make it work, it would be fantastic.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

8th-snype posted:

I shot a shitload of 3000b in the last 6 months.

That looks like few thousand dollars worth of 3000b. Especially at todays prices.

img096 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I just ordered a pack of Project Impossible "Instant" Film.
Morbidly curious if it is as lovely as it seems.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Musket posted:

With the money you wasted on that, you could have gotten a lovely colorpack and 5 boxes of FP100c.

Where are you getting fp100c so cheap?

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I'll turn into a slightly effeminate hipster with poor speaking skills?

Fair enough.

Yeah, I hear that the film is not as much poo poo as it used to be, but its still poo poo. The IP PR team is amazing to be able to sell it in quantities it does.

But I am still curious enough to have this film inflicted upon me, at great monetary cost and loss of my street creed.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I have a Polaroid One step talking camera I got for 5 bucks on craigslist.
And it seems that my grand project impossible experiment is a failure, because it looks like the flash on my camera is burned out, and this beast seems to want to use flash for everything.

Will have to take it out in the sun or something and see how that works out.

I did like that I could see on the horribly underexposed photos.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

That's a bummer. You can actually fire these cameras WITHOUT the flash. If you look at the shutter button there is another button right behind it. It sticks out on the bottom. Press it and the flash will not fire.

So it looks like I need to hold that button on my camera down, in order to fire the flash.
Thanks for the heads up, this saved my pack of film from certain doom.

So despite what people might have gotten across from my posts, I was a big opponent of the Project Impossible. Its expensive, nowhere near "instant", and has major issues with the emulsion.

Now after fooling around with a pack, I loving love it.
I feel like a big part of my infatuation is the camera. I like the squareish format, it lets me shoot closer than any of the large instax cameras or the polaroid folders, and the flash is extremely soft and complementary to the skin. The exposure seems to be always spot on, which is more of a gamble with the instax.

The film itself has pretty nice tones, especially when it comes to skin. But I cannot for the life of me get a shot that doesn't come out brown. Brown tint is apparently caused by light hitting the film after it gets spit out of the camera, but I shoot it straight into a box that I close, so I don't know what else I could do to avoid that.

Also I had one photo get detached from the white "frame", which leads me to believe that their manufacturing process might not be as robust as they might want us to think it is.

Anyways, it is definitely something that I would be really interested in shooting, once they lower the price a bit and figure out how to make the color film ... color, instead of brown.

And time will tell how stable the emulsion is. I know that previous versions had some trouble with photos fading away with time.

Putrid Grin fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 12, 2014

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

But guys, with the instant lab, you will never be able to replicate the result you get from this copying apparatus again...
Oh, wait...

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

This is Bob “Crocodile” Lile a really good artist/painter on Route 66 in Amarillo, TX. This guy is awesome. Will be drinking beer with him next time he comes to Albuquerque. He does a ton of work trying to preserve Route 66 in the USA.

Cool shots.

It's been my goal to drive down Rt. 66 and take some photos, but the logistics of it are daunting. Need more vacation time and money.

How do you like the 75mm? I have been hunting for one for a while for my Mamiya system to get something that covers the whole FP film area, but the prices are a bit silly at the moment.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Don't have a screen. My style of shooting doesn't lend itself to it that often, but it sure would be useful for portraits at minimum focus distance.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Musket posted:

Cover the light sensor and trip the shutter. This will tell you that it at least fires. Check bellows for damage and wear. Check rollers for corrosion or permanent crap on them. Check to make sure that the RF at least pretends to give you a good focus (you wont know until you put film in and try).

Check the battery compartment for corrosion and such. Camera needs batteries to fire, and if I recall correctly they use one of those goofy batteries that are not made anymore. It is easy to rewire the thing to accept regular batteries.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Whitezombi your big shot setup looks very interesting. If I wasn't all about portability right now I would be picking your brain about it because the results you are getting are sweet as hell.

Shellman posted:

Thanks for the tips, but didn't wind up buying it unfortunately--he knew nothing about the camera other than in his mind it was "worth something"--he'd picked it up cheap somewhere and wanted to make money. Didn't want to let me open it up and check the rollers because "the polaroid film in there is worth something" so I just said gently caress it. Guess I'll keep my eyes open for another to turn up.

Sorry it didn't work out. I have a 240 lying around. Not as nice as the 250, but if you are interested PM me.

And a reclaimed negative from my Mamiya running fp-100c:

_DSC5651 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

drat thats nice.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

Good stuffs. Love the SP-1.

TIME ZERO a documentary about Polaroid is now on Netflix.

http://timezeromovie.com/2014/08/04/time-zero-now-available-on-all-popular-video-on-demand-services/

Wow, this 90 minute advertisement for project impossible has it all: hipsters, emotionally unbalanced people crying over death of polaroid, neck beards, hyperboles...

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Seems that The Impossible Project is realizing that they can get only so far on PR alone, and is shutting down most of its worldwide HQs in order to "concentrate on developing new emulsions and cameras".

I wonder why they have decided to get into the camera business so early in the game, as there is no shortage of working polaroid cameras out there.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

Where did you see this??

https://blog.the-impossible-project.com/a-letter-from-impossible-s-ceo

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Rumor has it that Fuji is working on a new Instax Wide camera to be released in 2015.
I am cautiously optimistic.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

ansel autisms posted:

What the hell is even different?

Oh man a tripod socket for a camera that can't expose for longer than 1/64th of a second

uh... so they only changed the casing, and called it a day?
And it doesn't even look better than the Fisher -Price original.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Messing about with extension tubes and the Mamiya. Unsurprisingly it vignettes incredibly. Wish I had a "P" lens handy.

Pardon the poo poo "scan".
DSCF9477 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Gargladdy posted:

Just picked up this bad boy. Shackman multishot 102. Pretty excited can't wait to shoot more with it!

Sweet camera, and even sweeter work you are doing with it. Keep on keepin' on dude!

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

Here is the first photo from my Mamiya Universal that's worth a poo poo.

Untitled by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr
Nice but a bit soft.
Which lens did ya use? 127mm?
I have been thinking about picking up one of the two P lenses from the lineup, but the 75mm one is ridiculously expensive and hard to get by, and the 127 is too close a focal length to my 100mm 2.8 beastie.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Untitled by Maciej, on Flickr

My scan-fu is weak. Shadows get crushed and colors get all sorts of screwed up.
Do I need to shell out for one of those calibration targets on the off chance I decide to scan some instant film?

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

TheJeffers posted:

Thanks! Another:

Untitled by TheJeffers, on Flickr

Lovely shot Jeffers.

Anyways, vacation photos! Harpa in Reykjavik:

iceland fp-100c by Maciej, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

How long does the film keep when refrigerated?

• Locked thread