Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Ok 3000b really is as cool as everyone says it is. I've had three packs sitting in my closet since Christmas, and I finally got the nerve to bring it to a shoot.

img001
by LargeHadron, on Flickr

img002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ape
Jul 20, 2009
I made a 4x5 pinhole camera this weekend out of a lightbulb housing, cardboard, felt and tears. Only one fp-3000b shot came out decent so far. I need to stock up on more before the price gets crazy. I think I want to make a wider focal length one next, maybe out of a cigar box or something.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Northwest, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Seems that The Impossible Project is realizing that they can get only so far on PR alone, and is shutting down most of its worldwide HQs in order to "concentrate on developing new emulsions and cameras".

I wonder why they have decided to get into the camera business so early in the game, as there is no shortage of working polaroid cameras out there.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Putrid Grin posted:

Seems that The Impossible Project is realizing that they can get only so far on PR alone, and is shutting down most of its worldwide HQs in order to "concentrate on developing new emulsions and cameras".

I wonder why they have decided to get into the camera business so early in the game, as there is no shortage of working polaroid cameras out there.

New camera means the possibility of proprietary film. Which means locked into their new system for film an accessories.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Putrid Grin posted:

Where did you see this??

Musket posted:

New camera means the possibility of proprietary film. Which means locked into their new system for film an accessories.

This would mean the death of them.

It would have to be a camera/cameras that are mind blowing awesome for this to work. The Polaroid cameras out there right now are so goddamn good that it would be a miracle for them to surpass them.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

Where did you see this??

https://blog.the-impossible-project.com/a-letter-from-impossible-s-ceo

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
It seems like they've realised they need more engineers and less hipsters to be viable, as they can't survive on PR alone when their films are pretty sub-par and expensive.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Musket posted:

I doubt they're going to make special film since they already have film branded "For Impossible Cameras", and it's just 600 film without a battery.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
IMG_0008.jpg by Ashade76, on Flickr

IMG_0005.jpg by Ashade76, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Rumor has it that Fuji is working on a new Instax Wide camera to be released in 2015.
I am cautiously optimistic.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I hope it looks even uglier and stupider.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

try it with a lime posted:

I hope it looks even uglier and stupider.

I hope the viewfinder is even farther to the side of the lens

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I hope there's even less exposure control.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

I hope the flash is always on. Like even when you're not taking pictures, it's just perpetually emitting blinding light.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Um, I hope it looks even more like a Fisher-Price product?

I actually am cautiously optimistic too.

ape
Jul 20, 2009
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/press/news/display_news?newsID=880646
:saddowns:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

What the hell is even different?

quote:

INSTAX Wide 300 key features:
Uses Fujifilm INSTAX Instant Color Film (sold separately)
Film Size 86 mm x 108 mm
Picture Size 62 mm x 99 mm
Move in/out type lens, 2 components, 2 elements, f = 95 mm, 1:14
Real image optical viewfinder, 0.37x with target spot
Motor-driven focusing, 2-range switching (0.9 m - 3 m/3 m - ∞) (normal mode: 0.9 m - 3 m, landscape mode: 3 m - ∞)
Programmed electronic shutter release, shutter speed: 1/64 sec - 1/200 sec.
Automatic Exposure Control, Interlocking range (ISO 800): LV 10.5 - LV 15. Exposure compensation (Lighten-Darken Control): ±2/3 EV
Built-in automatic electronic flash. Charging time: 0.2 seconds - 6 seconds (using a new battery), Flash charging indicator (LED lights in red), Fill-in Flash Mode, Effective flash lamp range: 0.9 m - 3 m
Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) indicates exposure counter, Lighten-Darken control, Flash Mode
Uses four AA 1.5 V alkaline batteries
Film pack confirmation window, close up lens
Tripod socket
W:188mm x D:96 mm x H:121mm / 612g (without battery, strap, film pack and close up lens)

Oh man a tripod socket for a camera that can't expose for longer than 1/64th of a second

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I saw the new Instax mini camera in classic brown. I really like the look of it, no so crazy about the quality of the film output (as far as I can tell from youtube videos). What's your guys' opinions? Is there any similar product in similar price blanket I should look into?

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 10, 2014

ape
Jul 20, 2009
I'm really hoping somebody figures out a way to market a cheap adapter for the belair instant back so it can be mounted on less terrible cameras. Some guy on flickr managed to adapt one to a graflok back.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

whatever7 posted:

So I saw the new Instax mini camera in classic brown. I really like the look of it, no so crazy about the quality of the film output (as far as I can tell from youtube videos). What's your guys' opinions? Is there any similar product in similar price blanket I should look into?
Are you referring to the Mini 90? I kickstarted the Lomo'Instant, I'll check in when it arrives (November/December?) but Lomography isn't famous for their image quality either.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

ansel autisms posted:

Oh man a tripod socket for a camera that can't expose for longer than 1/64th of a second

uh... so they only changed the casing, and called it a day?
And it doesn't even look better than the Fisher -Price original.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rastor posted:

Are you referring to the Mini 90? I kickstarted the Lomo'Instant, I'll check in when it arrives (November/December?) but Lomography isn't famous for their image quality either.

The link is dead

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

whatever7 posted:

The link is dead
It works for me? :confused: Try going directly to the Lomo'Instant page? If all else fails, despite the apostrophe you can Google for Lomo'Instant.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

ape posted:

I'm really hoping somebody figures out a way to market a cheap adapter for the belair instant back so it can be mounted on less terrible cameras. Some guy on flickr managed to adapt one to a graflok back.

There is a guy who has adapted the back for the Polaroid 600SE and Mamiya Universal. I have one. Need to modify my 600SE to use it. Will be modifying a Polaroid Big Shot to use it as well.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

ansel autisms posted:

still no loving self timer?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The new display / controls sound like they adopted those from the Mini 50S, so who knows, maybe a future version will adopt those from the Mini 90. Sure would've been nice if they had jumped to that point with this one though.

Edit: actually, the Mini 50S has a self-timer, so it's not even to that point then.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rastor posted:

It works for me? :confused: Try going directly to the Lomo'Instant page? If all else fails, despite the apostrophe you can Google for Lomo'Instant.

OK I finally can see it at home. So it just use Instax mini film? Any reason why I should pick this over the Instax mini?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I haven't used either, so can't give a first-hand opinion. The Lomo'Instant does not exist in production form yet. Both use the same film packs (Instax Mini / Polaroid 300).

The Instax Mini 90 seems to be a bit "tighter" or more "professional" unit, uses a modern rechargeable battery, has a digital display, etc. It can do multiple exposures, but only up to 2. It can do long exposures, but only up to 10 seconds.

The Lomo'Instant seems to be the more "creative" unit. Uses 4 AAA batteries. Has physical levers / controls instead of a digital display. Can do unlimited multiple exposures. Can do unlimited length exposures. Has more optional lens attachments. Likely to be even more "plastic-y" than the Fujifilm camera. May not have as high of a lens quality. Lets you do painfully hipsterish things like attach a fisheye lens and an orange color gel.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Have a cartridge and a half of instax 210 film if anyone wants it, just pay postage (if its even worth it) my camera drowned in beer in china. Shoot me a pm.

ape
Jul 20, 2009

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

At Play 1 by TheJeffers, on Flickr

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Sorry for the dumb question but are you cropping? I only ask because my square instants aren't using as much negative space as this.

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

Is there a particular back that I need? Shooting on a Hasselblad 500 C/M btw.

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 9, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

pootiebigwang posted:

Sorry for the dumb question but are you cropping? I only ask because my square instants aren't using as much negative space as this.

The Mamiya RB and RZ have an ~8x8cm opening for the back. Your Hasselblad can only expose 6x6.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

pootiebigwang posted:

As MrBlandAverage notes, the Mamiya RB and RZ, the latter of which I use, both shoot large squares on Polaroid (6.9cm, according to the manual). The weird corners are a result of the rotating back setup. Here's the camera/back:

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 9, 2014

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

img001-3a

The left one looks pretty cool as a negative:

img002

Which brings me to a question: How do you keep your FP-whatever negatives from looking all grimy? Mine always have water spots and other marks on them. Is that just the name of the game with this?

LargeHadron fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 15, 2014

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

In 4x5 sleeves.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

ansel autisms posted:

In 4x5 sleeves.

I mean, right after I take them. They are all wet, and then when they dry they have all kinds of marks on them.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

LargeHadron posted:

I mean, right after I take them. They are all wet, and then when they dry they have all kinds of marks on them.

I let them sit out until they're dry. If you're hoping to save 3000b negatives they'll just get solarized and turn to poo poo, I haven't found a good way to prevent that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

ansel autisms posted:

I let them sit out until they're dry. If you're hoping to save 3000b negatives they'll just get solarized and turn to poo poo, I haven't found a good way to prevent that.

Yea there is no real way to store the 3000b negative that wont allow it to stop decaying. Scan it the same day and throw it away. Its not going to last like the FP100c negs.

Deep Throat, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Bar Culture project is coming along.

• Locked thread