Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Putrid Grin posted:

Seems that The Impossible Project is realizing that they can get only so far on PR alone, and is shutting down most of its worldwide HQs in order to "concentrate on developing new emulsions and cameras".

I wonder why they have decided to get into the camera business so early in the game, as there is no shortage of working polaroid cameras out there.

Where did you see this??

Musket posted:

New camera means the possibility of proprietary film. Which means locked into their new system for film an accessories.

This would mean the death of them.

It would have to be a camera/cameras that are mind blowing awesome for this to work. The Polaroid cameras out there right now are so goddamn good that it would be a miracle for them to surpass them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

ape posted:

I'm really hoping somebody figures out a way to market a cheap adapter for the belair instant back so it can be mounted on less terrible cameras. Some guy on flickr managed to adapt one to a graflok back.

There is a guy who has adapted the back for the Polaroid 600SE and Mamiya Universal. I have one. Need to modify my 600SE to use it. Will be modifying a Polaroid Big Shot to use it as well.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Shot with Instax film and a Polaroid 600 camera. It is a mother fucker but it will work and image is flipped. Will be working on this more in the future.

This is Impossible B&W for SX-70 shot with an SX-70 Alpha & an Alpha 1.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

I may try this.

Have an instant photo.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Pukestain Pal posted:

Are those refurbed polaroids that impossible project sell worth a poo poo?

If you want a Polaroid let me know. The prices they sell those cameras for is LOL.

ansel autisms posted:

Hopefully they don't require impossible film (it's garbage)

The ONLY Impossible Film I would recommend is the B&W for the SX-70 cameras (I haven't used the 600 B&W film). It actually develops quickly and it looks pretty good. I posted a few shots a few posts up. If it was $8-$12 cheaper I would shoot the poo poo out of it.

Spedman posted:

Don't buy polaroid branded film, it's too old these days.

I have had good luck with Polaroid film with expiration dates of 2008 & 2009. Also you can transfer old Polaroid film into new Impossible film packs (the battery is built into the pack). Just make sure you only do 8 frames at a time.

JHVH-1 posted:

There are people on eBay now putting some of these polaroid cameras up at higher prices with buy it now instead of auctions. Those people seem like dicks and I don't think they sell anything. I also saw listings where people put the word hipster in the title of the auction. Maybe I like hipster things sometimes, don't judge me eBay listing. I am old enough to actually remember some of these cameras being used by normal people.

I sell Polaroids and I make drat good money doing it. I don't give a gently caress if you are a hipster or a nazi. Just throw money at me.

JHVH-1 posted:

What a deal!

I sell these for $150 if they are in great - excellent condition. Only way that is worth that much is if it is BRAND NEW in original box.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Gargladdy posted:

Thanks! It looked too cool to pass up. Only paid $30!

I have yet to snag a good garage sale / thrift store priced polaroid camera that can do manual controls. I'm trying my hardest to hold off getting one on eBay haha.

How the camera is supposed to work normally:
When you press the shutter it will fire and shoot the same image twice on one piece of film. It has a fixed shutter speed (boo) and a fixed focal range of a little under 4 feet (also boo). Since it was made to do one job I guess that's why it's so rigid. The only adjustment you get is aperture (F/11 - F/64) I really want to figure out what the shutter speed is but I haven't found a way to do that yet. (possibly shooting it next to my dslr and comparing the sounds could get me close)

Good find for that price. I love my Miniportrait 202 and 203.

If I remember correctly the Shackman has a 1/60 shutter.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

Do you need to use the cold clip with FP-100c? Does peeling the film too early result in overexposed photos, or underexposed? I can't seem to get images to come out nice using my Colorpack II, but it's only 10C out right now, so that might have something to do with it. Most of my shots come out overexposed

Nevermind, I wasn't letting them develop long enough. I heard FP-100C was self terminating but for some reason I didn't believe it. I let some shots sit for 10 minutes before peeling them, and they came out perfect.

Yeah FP-100C hates the cold. I just put it in my pocket and peel it later. I've let it sit for hours without issue

Be careful with using the Colorpack II (and other similar cameras) in extreme cold. I've had 2 break and fall apart due to the cold.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

This is the Polaroid digital library:

There are repair manuals for many Polaroid cameras here:
https://www.everythingretek.com/PRDLibrary/LIBRARY8/LIBRARY/REPAIR/

Here are film data sheets, user manuals, training materials, ads, movies, etc...
https://www.everythingretek.com/PRDLibrary/LIBRARY8/LIBRARY/

Enjoy.

Another Place for manuals.
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/polaroid.htm

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

Went to the photo fair, picked up some more expired film, and some kentemere to try out in 35mm.
I also got a polaroid film back for my 500cm, super cheap couldn't pass it up.
Forgot to buy instant film :sigh:

Next step is to get an actual instant film camera that covers the whole film area.

Nice. What camera are you looking to pick up?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

Thinking about a metal body polaroid land, if it's a good price

I have a ton of cameras. Send me an email if you want. natebolin at the email that starts with g.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

NOW ONLY $1.00

That's what the hookers said.

I have enough whiskey and dick covered Polaroids to go around! (Some have been covered in my own dick.)

bobmarleysghost posted:

Neat, what's your inventory like?

I have many packfilm cameras. Metal bodies - 100, 101, 250, 350, 360 - have accessories and bags for some. Also have MiniPortrait 202s and 203s with backs and without. Have a mint condition 600SE on the way with a 120 film back and regular back but it will be $$$$.

I have a poo poo ton of Integral film cameras. SX-70 One Step Rainbows, Prontos - have flashes, accessories and bags for some. 600 series cameras with and without flash.

I have film available for all. New and expired.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

8th-snype posted:

I just used my instax printer to leave a note on the windshield of the Subaru that scratched the hell out of my bumper. Feels good man.

So you took a photo of your rear end in a top hat and wrote the word you on it?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

How much for any of the packfilm ones? Also, how much for a pack of film? I'm seeing it online for about $10 in the US, but go to a .ca site and prices jump to $18 :(

Here's some test shots:

:nws: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/470/18517526826_1e9bc4f9d2_c.jpg

Nice shots.

Send me an email about cameras. Shipping to Canada will be at minimum $20ish. Man that sucks about film costs. :/

Pukestain Pal posted:

Anyone try the new generation impossible project products yet?

Still poo poo from what I see and read. If it was $8 - $10 id be ok with it.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

ape posted:

?

There were some packfilm cameras made for macro/dental stuff that you might be able to repurpose as well. Whitezombi has a few I think.

Tried a couple with my ipad and it just didnt work well. Im sure if i actually spent more than 5 min on it it may work but I dont care.

Edward IV posted:

While I thought about that, it only solves the problem of not locking out the camera. The whole printing process would take as long or probably longer since there is the added step of transferring the images to the phone and then to the printer which is even more cumbersome. Also, the line by line exposure is what ends up taking the most time in the printing process which Fujifilm rates at about 16 seconds. Even if I need to increase the exposure time to properly expose the film (unless there is a reason I shouldn't do that), it should be much less than 16 seconds.

This is kind of what I had in mind but with an Arduino or some micro-controller that drives and controls the screen. Though what's with a collapsible bellows? Does this use optics?

Initially, I wanted to make it like an add-on for an Instax camera but then I realized that there would be no way to make it a compact enough package. Especially if I have to work with the camera's existing optics. That's why I was thinking of placing the screen directly on the film's exposure area like in the SP-1 and described here so the whole package remains compact. I decided on an iPhone 4 screen since replacement screens are pretty cheap these days (about $30 on iFixit) and has roughly the same resolution as the SP-1 though it would be nice to have a screen without a touch-sensing layer and the front face of the phone.

EDIT: I discovered that there is a camera back that uses Instax film for the Lomography Diana F+. While the back costs almost as much as a Mini 8, at least using the back as my film handler will save me the effort of taking apart and repurpose a Mini 8.

I also found a project that's developing a controller board that'll send HDMI video to to various sneak screens including the iPhone 4. Unfortunately, it's still in development and I kind of wanted to have this ready in time for the New York Maker Fair. Maybe I can make a working, non-portable mockup with a larger, high pixel density screen that I can easily drive, such as an iPad screen, and showcase it with my Maker Space group.

I'm not sure how in the hell you are going to do a contact print with instax mini film and and iphone 4 in less than 16 seconds.

Just use an Instax camera and the SP1.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Edward IV posted:

https://impossible.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204378648-How-does-the-Instant-Lab-work

I see and that's with optics. (Although that is probably because the Polaroid film is a good deal larger than an iPhone screen) Perhaps that's why Fujifilm went with a line by line printing approach.

Good thing I caught this early enough to cancel my order for the Lomography Instant Back and a Wifi SD card. I'm still apprehensive about spending $80 for the Instant Back that I plan on hacking and modding which can become useless if this proves unfeasible. On the other hand, I'm not sure if trying to hunt for a cheap, used Mini 8 and then tearing it apart for parts is any better.

Fake Edit: I'm an idiot. That quote was talking about the time it takes for the film to develop after it's ejected. No matter since I'd rather get my facts straight before I start throwing money around.

Since I couldn't find a straight answer on their website, what kind of exposure times does the Instant Lab need? A screenshot in this review seems to indicate that Color ISO 680 needs 480 milliseconds of exposure. And the time from exposure to ejection in this video seems pretty quick to me. I'm not sure why everyone has been saying that a less than 16 second print time isn't feasible unless contact printing opens a whole new can of worms?

As for getting an Instax camera instead to augment my SP-1, I am tempted but, given it has a single, fixed, wide-angle lens, it won't be possible for it to capture the same photos as my X-T1 without re-positioning and re-composition. On the other hand, maybe I'm other thinking it and it's unlikely I would run into a situation where I would need to shoot with a narrow field of view that a Mini 8 can't shoot and need to print it out quickly.

I wouldn't even consider the Instant Lab. Impossible film is absolute piss garbage, is very unreliable AND costs $24 for 8 shots. Also you have to keep the color film from ANY light for at least 30 min and the B&W is barely better.

I'm not talking exposure time. I asking HOW in the hell will you make a contact print with the Instax back and and iphone 4? Build a light tight adapter that will hold the iphone perfectly in place at the perfect distance for exposure and have a darkslide to keep from exposing the instax film???

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Pukestain Pal posted:

I'm pretty sure I read that the new version they have out now is much better and doesn't have the leaving in the light issue anymore.

They made a 2.0 version of B&W film so far. It is supposed to develop in 20 seconds and be sharper. It is available for 600 and sx-70 now. The color film is still garbage.

Edward IV posted:

Essentially though I was only planning on using just the iPhone's screen which will be semi-permanently fixed to the Instax back and have a light tight casing covering everything up. All controls and interaction will be done through a separate micro-computer and screen so the iPhone screen doesn't need to be removed during normal operation. I was also planning on controlling power to the iPhone screen so that it doesn't accidentally turn on and inadvertently expose the film until its commanded to when its time to print so it eliminates the need for a dark slide.

Goodluck. Please post photos and examples when you are finished making this.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 26, 2015

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

It shoud be fine. I shoot really old film all the time. It may come out a little more magenta than normal.

Here is some film from the late 80s or early 90s

Polacolor
by Nate Bolinger, on Flickr

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 28, 2015

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

Yeah, this is my experience with FP-100C that's been sitting in the holder for a year.

Also the chemicals may be really runny so be careful of that and the print will be more light sensitive.

Examples of the color. (I think this was 3 or 4 years expired)

door by Nate Bolinger, on Flickr

mountains by Nate Bolinger, on Flickr

bird by Nate Bolinger, on Flickr

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 28, 2015

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

alkanphel posted:

Ah ok, well I definitely wouldn't be leaving it in there for a year, maybe a few weeks to a month, so it hopefully shouldn't be too bad.

Shouldn't be an issue. Keep it cool and out of direct light.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

It is an SX-70. In fact ALL Polaroid cameras that aren't in the 600 series OR Spectra series are SX-70s.

Non - folding. http://www.polamad.com/polaroidshop-SX70box.html

Folding. http://www.polamad.com/polaroidshop-SX70.html

If you open it up it will say exactly what it is on the front.

If it works it is worth about $50-100 depending on the condition. If it doesn't work let me know and I can give you info on what to do.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

:negative:

:flaccid:

:emo:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

I don't know, but there are reports that you can freeze it.
http://figitalrevolution.com/2016/03/01/freezing-fuji-fp-100c-instant-film/

Do what you want but I would never put any instant film in the freezer.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

There's a change.org petition approaching 10,000 signatures to save FP-100C

Chances of Fuji actually giving a crap are about zero, you think?

There is a 100% chance that Fuji gives zero fucks.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Geektox posted:

Has impossible gotten better at consistency? I heard a lot of horror stories of like 2/3 of packs having heavy colour casts and poo poo.

Nope.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

loving amazing

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

unpacked robinhood posted:

Now that they've killed FP-100 there's no way to shoot old instant cameras right ? Except for impossible film I mean

You can get an custom Instax back for the Polaroid 600SE or the Mamiya Universal. Costs around $290. You have to modify your camera a little by removing a piece of metal that does nothing but was left over from manufacturing process. So currently I can shoot Instax Wide, Fuji FP100/3000 and 120 film on my 600SE.

Others have modified cameras like the 250 or 350 to shoot Instax Wide but its a bitch.

I've experimented with shooting Instax mini in Polaroid cameras but its just not worth the hassle.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

This has got to just be re-branded impossible film...
https://us.polaroidoriginals.com/products/color-instant-film-for-600

Wasn't the original 600 in 10 packs not 8? Plus its almost the same insane price, and they are selling old cameras just like the impossible site does.

It is The Impossible Project.

Unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Ashex posted:

Total shot in the dark, does anyone with a SX-70 have the ITT Magic Flash? I got one off eBay but it came without the battery cover so I'm not entirely sure which batteries I should connect, if someone could send me a pic of the battery cover that would be awesome.

Post a pic of the flash. I've dealt with a few different versions of these and I may even have one.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 16, 2018

• Locked thread