Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I don't know guys, this might be legit - Harry Potter didn't have Home Ec classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Henrietta Potter and the Mathgician, might as well rip of the Simpsons while you're at it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Well, poo poo, maybe linking threads was a bad idea; a thread I linked earlier got "nuked" despite not having had any posts in ages. Can someone explain what happened? Did somebody touch the poop?

When you browse into the abyss, the abyss browses into you.

There are tropers lurking this forum and their admin is paranoid as poo poo since the last "SA attack".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

The fact that they didn't give that trope page a one word title just speaks to their failure of imagination.

They used to have a lot of imaginatively named tropes, but it made it even harder to actually use the site so they changed a lot of them. Especially the ones using Japanese words to describe random concepts and the ones that were basically inside jokes at that point.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I note that I just picked out the most glaring highlights, and the overall troper assessment of this thing was neutral to positive.

Much like video game journalists, tropers operate on a narrow scale based on the high end of the normal scale. So what they call a 6/10, or neutral-to-positive, regular people would call a -5 or so.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Did they seriously name a fanfiction after a TV Trope named after a Firefly line?

They loving love that trope, so I have no doubt believing that they would name an entire serie of books, with a spin-off TV show and movie franchise after it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Whatever happened to wearing a simple ball cap? Oh right, because only those stupid jocks and sports players wear those, unlike *me*, who is totally classy.

A ball cap with a suit isn't much better than a fedora with jeans. It's all about context, which tropers can't understand because they break everything down to its core components.

Swords were cool in Braveheart ergo swords will be cool in my WWII alternate history (With aliens who don't go through puberty). That kind of things.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I like Afghanistan, Amerika, Samovar, Chechnya and... Well, all the other ones that English either borrowed or lent. Thank God we have a translation in two alphabets.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

(And did Buffy even have :tvtropes: in it? I must have missed that part.)

There was an attempted rape in the sixth season, and some guys tried to use mind control to make a woman sleep with them and she called them out as rapist in uh... I think the sixth season, too.

Why do I remember this :psyduck:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

poo poo Calvin's "girlfriend" from Calvin and Hobbes probably qualify.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I wanna know what kind of discussions the fandom for a movie about a ghost girl who comes out of your tv and drowns you was having that political leanings made a difference.

Unless you want to argue that TV-Ghost-Girl is a representation of the free market, or of the impact of mass media on the culture of mass consumption but... That doesn't sound troper like.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

As usual, Edit Banned/Suspended is a fine repository of people too weird/pathetic for even TVTropes.

For example, this guy:

Or this guy:

Or this lady:

Holy poo poo, that goes through the pathetic - funny - pathetic - cringeworthy curve really fast :downs:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

TvTropes 6: Oh my God, I'm scared of my vagina

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

JackMackerel posted:

Actual edit: Nate returns.

I'm not even sure what a namespace is but it sounds like Serious. loving. Business. :stare:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

quote:

This might be linked to the relentless positivity of modern-day Western "nice" discourse, wherein constructive criticism is taken to mean "praise of what deserves praise", (...) "if you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all" is the rule.

:irony:

Do they still have the "Don't say anything negative about anything" policy in place?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Welp that's just terrible.

quote:

Tales of MU is an online erotic prose fiction series. Originally described by the author as an experiment in using LiveJournal to promote her stories, it has since taken on a life of its own. The first four plotlines have been collected into self-published print editions.

The story revolves around the life of Mackenzie "Mack" Blaise, a self-hating half-demon student at Magisterius University, a college of enchantment in an alternate universe where Dungeons & Dragons-style fantasy and magic exist in place of modern technology. While not quite a deconstruction, it makes frequent joking allusions to common tropes of fantasy gaming.

The story, at least for the first half or so of the first year's chapters, frequently veers off into sexual territory, arguably at the expense of the plot, but usually by offering a different take on a difficult or sensitive topic. For instance, the second book offered Mackenzie's attempt to describe in first-person narrative her first orgasm, without her realizing that's what she was having. Overall, the sexual content has become much less frequent, but when it shows up, it does so with gusto.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Steampunk iPhone posted:

It got shut down because some guy started talking about his fetish for cooking and eating women.

It got shut down because it had become such a hug box that when a guy started talking about his cannibalism fetish, instead of "WHAT THE gently caress SEEK HELP", the response was "Have you tried incorporating ham into your sexy time?"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Geek social fallacy #1 is one hell of a thing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Holy loving poo poo, there's no way that's real.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Shut up about Rape and start talking about stupid tropers.

While I get what you're trying to say, you do realize that it's hard to do both at once, right?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

BTW, You cannot go to japan for longer than I think 14 days without having a business or university sponsoring you. And they are really quick to deport people.

90 days, as long as you don't receive income. Like most other countries, really.

I wish there was some sort of blog chronicling the adventures of weeaboos in Japan, every stories I've seen was hilarious.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

From the OP:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

He got into a page long argument with an actual US Army officer or something about the use of swords on the battlefield. Civilian Tom seems to think they're the ultimate weapon.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Why the gently caress are you people reading this poo poo?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Tardigrade posted:

While breaking my scroll-thumb trying to flick past page 150, I noticed the recurring reference to the Ahuizotl, an Aztec mythological creature. The page's history is a mildly amusing tale of bronies inserting a Pop Culture section and then getting it deleted. Over and over again.

At least Wikipedia has some degree of quality control. :unsmith:

The one good thing to come out of XKCD, Wikipedia's policy on "In Popular Culture".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Tropers can't understand that it's possible to have non-sexual relationships with other people.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Also because there was an article where an officer from I think the Toronto PD said that while not all Trekkies were pedophile, every time they nailed a pedo they had Star Trek poo poo in their place. I think one out of twenty was a Star Wars fan instead or something ridiculous like that.

That predated the aatrek scandal, for what it's worth.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

If we regretted that things happened because of terrible fanfic, we'd eventually end up regretting the invention of the written word.

After five TVTropes threads, I regret it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Basically, for the purpose of criticism, the author died the moment he finished his work.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

What would a T+ cup even look like anyway?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Spalec posted:

A google search for T cup bra led me to this:

:haw:

That's legit awesome, though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

Not Tvtropes but appropriate:

Please link a source :allears:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Gimnbo posted:

Google tells me it's from Ye Olde Reddit.

Best response:

Oh goddamn.

quote:

[–]UberMcwinsauce 33 points 1 month ago

I think you made a valid point, even if I don't exactly agree. You definitely created discussion, and yet you got downvoted anyway. I would like to remind everyone that he put effort into this post, and the downvote button is for people who put forth no effort or are attempting to derail discussion.

[–]Rockworm503"It's...a thing. A science thing. It hurts robots" 14 points 1 month ago

I upvoted all his posts... Because the downvote brigade is rediculous. Some people arguing against him don't even have an argument just because he's talking about rape. Its a game about choices. While I personally don't agree with it and wouldn't enjoy doing such a thing this shouldn't reflect on him as a person since it is after all still a video game and if we want games to be considered art and be taken more seriously it shouldn't be afraid to go there.

gently caress this planet.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

bucketmouse posted:

Is there a real not-tvtropes sociological name for a large group of people who identify as an interest group yet know nothing about what members of the interest group actually do or how they behave? Something that encompasses libertarians/bitcoiners/etc who think they're financial captains of industry, tropers that think they're academics, social justice warriors, that sort of thing? Charlatanism sort of comes close but doesn't really carry the hive-mind mass-delusion-echo-chamber connotation and calling them cults or quacks doesn't quite fit either.

Cargo cult, or, in the corporate world, middle management.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ungulateman posted:

I read (past tense) a lot of MLP fanfiction, but I absolutely refused to read FO:E. It's an abomination on an entirely different level from the rest of the chaff bronies produce.

Glad to see you have standards.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ungulateman posted:

Fun fact, my username predates my obsession with tiny technicolor horses; it's a reference to a Gary Larson cartoon. But that's neither here nor there.

I know you're going to dismiss anything I suggest based on the fact that it's A: ponies and B: fanfiction (and hey, as far as baseless generalisations go those are pretty good ones), but sure. The Demesne of the Reluctant Twilight Sparkle are probably the best horsewords I've ever read and the only story I don't feel completely stupid for recommending on its own merits.

(Yes, I know I'm digging a deeper hole by giving a serious answer. Don't bother trying to discourage me. Unless it's through another redtext avatar, I'd like one of those again.)

(Also, unlike some bronies I'd rather not talk about, I have precisely zero interest in loving horses.)

Why. Why would you type that post and hit submit? Why would you unironically use "horseword"? What went wrong during your childhood?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Notable for its high quality, yet hilariously error-filled, nature of the animation. The creator of the show, Lauren Faust, specifically picked an animation studio that could make the animation look like traditional, and was adept at animating four-legged animals. The movements look surprisingly natural, as opposed to the less natural movement that often plagues flash animated shows.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

We have a whole forum for anime.

It's not so much a subforum as it is a containment vessel though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Heh, I'd have bolded the numerous references to improper railway practices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

What the ever loving gently caress?

• Locked thread