Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

e: I dunno, sounds pretty awesome to me.

More like Doctor WHY?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Undead Unicorn posted:

She went on a twitter spree explaining why TvTropes wrong.

Way to not get the joke, friend.

On that note - do you have a link to the tweets, preferably in a more readable, archivey form?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Cool, thanks for the information on that guys. Makes a lot of sense although I'm now sad that their absolutely gorgeous architecture may have been down to available resources rather than creativity and aesthetics. :v:

It takes creativity and aesthetic sense to make the most out of limited resources.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

In troperspeak, it's like this: take Evangelion. For the better part of 30-odd years, giant robot shows had been adventure and excitement - kid finds giant robot, uses it to save the day, everyone laughs. There were exceptions, but by and large, that was the formula. Then Eva comes along, takes everything about the genre and plays it straight. Kids piloting giant robots are closer to child soldiers, one false move can destroy half the city and the guys in charge aren't even remotely altruistic. That's the deconstruction, taking the individual aspects of the genre and showing what they'd be like in the real world.

Then comes Gurren Lagann. Made by the same company who did NGE, it's almost an apology for the earlier work. Same tropes, as the original shows of yore, but updated and played more triumphantly and heroically. That is a reconstruction.

Does it make any quantifiable sense on anything beyond an emotional level? Nope. Do tropers care? Hell no. Now let me tell you why Kamina is one of the greatest protagonists of any medium and why he shouldn't have died.

BUT KAMINA HAD TO DIE THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There's a Doctor Who radio drama where Laika comes back super-intelligent and decides to KILL ALL HUMANS!

It's pretty great.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Swan Oat posted:

"Very good at empathy" is really loving funny. Empathy isn't a skillset you dweeb it's a character trait! Also, all the "age: unknown" and "motivation: [redacted]" stuff reads like character descriptions on the back of action figure packaging. So mysterious!

Reminds me of that comic about Star Trek: TNG where it's all like, "Troi can understand how other people are feeling. This is her superpower."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Ratspeaker posted:

Which radio play is this? I'm just coming off the Space Dandy episode with Laika and this would make the greatest complement.

It's Big Finish Productions' 1963: The Space Race, starring Sixth Doctor Colin Baker. It's 12bux for a DRM-free download of the 2-hour full-cast play on BigFinish.com

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Ahhhhhhhh, Tzu doesn't even remotely rhyme with Sue. This is the worst thing TVTropes have ever done.

It's assonance, rear end in a top hat :colbert:

but yeah, it's really stupid.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Given the "Ann" pun in the username, I can believe it.

Her?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well the last "movie" they did was like two years ago, so it's all kind of a moot point now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

But half the Weasley family is named after Arthurian characters, so Ginny should have been obvious!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

goatse.cx posted:

Can I also mention that he has bad opinions politically

He actually has grown a lot in that regard in the past several years.

He's still a capitalist pig-dog, and doughy as hell, but he's not bigoted. Lightbringer is very old and he's largely renounced it as poo poo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Just gonna reiterate that apart from being a capitalist pig-dog Linkara's largely grown out of his lolbertarian leanings. He's really solid on gender rights and poo poo like that, anyway.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The old ones are certainly a better set of likenesses.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I do not like this, TVTropes. I do not like this at all.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Captain Mog posted:

I'm really beginning to suspect that certain authors just set up pages for their own works in an effort to make themselves look famous.

There was this "Whatley Universe" creepy fetish fiction thing that, for a while, was absolutely EVERYWHERE on TVTropes, and at the time I thought it was a much more popular thing than it actually was. This definitely happens.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I remember that one of the old Minecraft threads had a crazy fairy-torture-fetish guy in it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

purple_sammich posted:

That was OddOne.

Gee, thanks for that. When I mentioned that, I totally wanted to read all that again.

:negative:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

JackMackerel posted:

People are still mad JesuOtaku doesn't like TVTropes. Their anger is shown by copypasting some... novel.

That's Pride and Prejudice, you philistine.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Hammurabi posted:

That seems like an inordinate amount of work to put into vandalizing a wiki page.

It's probably a known-quantity text bomb - probably distributed as a .txt or PasteBin link, for script kiddies to vandalize with.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Do I want to know what Malatora is?

http://thefpl.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=118%3Aepisode-69-the-state-of-the-micronation-is-strong

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Kay Kessler posted:

Remember when they used to have a Statler and Waldorf joke at the end of every other page? That was one of the few things on that site that was actually good.

:stat::Yeah, that aspect of TV Tropes wasn't half bad!

:wal:: You're right - it was all bad!

:stat: DO HO HO HO HO :wal:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gimnbo posted:

(Undid revision 475644266 by 64.131.162.42 (talk) (gas all bronies)) (undo)
(Undid revision 476263771 by 112.198.83.67 (talk) The brony Holocaust will go unmourned.) (undo)
(BRONY RAUS!) (undo)
(shut up about ponies goddamn) (undo)

quote:

So, um. How exactly should "Popular Culture" here be worded so that nobody comes later and deletes it "because WP:Popculture"? - 89.70.239.244 (talk) 12:15, 11 December 2013 (UTC)

From the talkpage.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

watho posted:

So death of the author is just interpretations that weren't intentional?

"Death of the Author" is the concept in literary (+cinema, etc.) critique that an interpretation of a work cannot be invalidated just by statements made by the author(s) of the work in question.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Tropers don't understand context, subtlety, characterization, or censorship.

Film at 11.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Also, I couldn't stand justifying Voldemort's evil with the fact that "he doesn't love" and portraying that as a bad thing. I take personal offense to that and I don't feel that's an adequate explanation for the atrocities Voldemort has committed.

oh my god is this an "aromantic" screed it is isn't it

I'm pretty sure most people who self-identify as "Aromantic" only know about "love" from the perspective of mass media and don't understand their own emotions. Like a really fuckin' pathetic version of the "WHAT IF YOUR PURPLE IS MY GREEN, MAAAN" thing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

"I won't stand for this!"

:vince:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lovecraft would have been a Troper.

I know it's been said before, but it's true.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MechaCrash posted:

I'm curious how much overlap there is between the "ugh, why's everybody got to read gay into Korra and Asami's interactions" crowd and the "ugh, Korra and Asami's relationship came out of nowhere" crowd.

You know exactly how much overlap there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Postal Parcel posted:

Doesn't L&O:SVU basically deal with this every other week.

• Locked thread