Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Bundt Cake posted:

Its too bad this isnt a bigger deal because eventually its going to happen to someone people know. Weight cutting in mma has gotten to a bad point, and I don't think people understand whats going on. Literally a room full of fighters with IVs in their arm giving them liquid straight into their system after weigh ins

Unfortunately I'm not sure what UFC/athletic commissions could do to curtail so much weight cutting. People are always going to look for every advantage they can get and size is one of the easiest ones to go after.

And then you have guys like Gleison Tibau that make monstrous cuts every fight but they look to be doing fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

LobsterMobster posted:

this Saturday's World Series of Fighting card will feature the return of Kalib "Running Man" Starnes.

This, precisely, is why Ben Askren refused to sign with the promotion.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I love me some Ben Askren and have been aboard that train since before he was champion, but even I know that UFC doesn't need him at all. He's a cool guy, an advocate against PEDs which is nice, and has a unique style, but UFC has several popular welterweights to keep that division going.

And I don't see how Ben going to One FC would kill him from ever making his US debut in UFC. UFC did just snatch up 3 guys from One FC, or tried to anyway.

Look I wanted Askren vs Fitch and Askren vs Palhares as much as the next guy but I'm also like eh whatever the show is gonna go on. What you can take away from this is Viacom Bellator hosed up, again, and it was funny.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Well that Victor Cui guy, the dude who runs One FC, saying he had a "big announcement" to make later this week pretty much made Askren going to the promotion official. It's alright. It would be great if Ben Askren ran through their entire 170 division in a year, which he totally could no problem.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

ChampRamp posted:

NBC will air two WSOF shows in 2014. That's pretty cool.

This is good and makes me wonder why Askren didn't take the WSOF deal if they possibly mentioned this to him. He'd be a lock for at least one of those cards, probably as co-main but hey, that's still network TV.

WSOF owns and I hope Zuffa is secretly funding them and funds them forever

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

What's great about that is not too long ago, it was Bjorn Rebney who was trying to pester a bigger B-league promotion (Scott Coker & Strikeforce) about putting on a superfight PPV. I can't wait to see which company tries to make a PPV with WSOF in a few years.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I do but it's not going to be available on the web until this weekend and I'm torn on whether I'd rather have a nearly 10 year old reel that isn't HD or roll the dice on the other replies for pro bono work being able to shore up a new one.

Right now I'm more focused on finding people who need me more than I need them so AMCP and the Salaverry Gym might be aiming too high, I also mentioned that the offer is open to any individual fighters or trainers who needed video work. Salaverry's youtube page hasn't uploaded anything since 2011 or something though so there might be a chance there.

Basically I'm trying balance my degree and willingness to relinquish rights to footage against my dude-off-the-streetness in order to get a camera on something that isn't going to put me to sleep, even if it isn't MMA related.

Is it possible to rent cheap equipment or borrow a camera from a friend and ask any jiu jitsu/MMA gym in the area, even the smaller crappier ones, if you can just film there for a day to update your reel? That way you're not there offering services, instead you're just a film dude off the streets who has a passion for MMA and would like to update his portfolio with footage that matters, instead of the usual film school bullshit.

And if you can make a decent "MMA reel" from that, you could take those to the bigger places and see if you get any takers. And you never know, those smaller gyms might like what you do and ask you to do some work.

In another life I would love to make MMA documentaries with my film schooling too so I'd love to hear you succeed. That's my advice unless you can do like Willie said and make real friendships at those gyms.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I think you absolutely should do it because there isn't really a glut of MMA documentaries. Yeah you have some guys trying to do video blogs on their own but most of them aren't very good. It's probably the one area of MMA that isn't saturated and needs talented people.

I'd say start small on purpose and really get good at it. Your passion for MMA will take you far with the small stuff, and then sooner or later an opportunity will present itself. It always does.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

end of an era

RIP 363 days of being her manager

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

beating a 4-6 guy isn't bad, but going to a decision with a 4-6 guy is kind of bad.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I'm shocked that happened

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

MMA is a lovely business. Vinny is a chinny fighter, but I believe he was asking for $24,000 to fight in WSOF since he made 8/8 in UFC. I don't think that's super unreasonable. They should have worked out something closer to 12/12 but hey what are ya gonna do other than go on twitter and put everybody's business out in the open?

For the record Dana White has been saying nice things about the Burk Man so I hope he ends up back in UFC.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

manyak posted:

Im convinced there will basically never be an striking performance like TJ dillashaws at the equivalent weightclass in female mma.

why's that? never is a long time

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I don't disagree and it's no secret that WMMA striking has a long ways to go. I just imagine that there will inevitably be a decent grappler that takes an affinity for striking under the right instruction, and then there will be a standout striking performance in a women's weight class like TJ/Barao. Might not happen for 5 years or 10 years depending how much of an impact Ronda really has at attracting female athletes to MMA. Ronda may even be that person but as you said she doesn't have much incentive to work on it. The female 115 division might shake things up too.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

That's why I'm interested in seeing what happens when Ronda does retire or her star fades or whatever. Dana said Ronda is already one of the top paid UFC athletes ever and that's only at 3 fights, and I'm not sure if that even factors in the pay she's getting for starring in multiple Hollywood movies next year. If she continues being a success that might change public perception that women shouldn't fight each other, and with the huge rewards that might get more women interested. Now there's not going to be a large pool of talent because fighting is something you either want to do or don't, and most people don't, but WMMA could be greatly improved in a few years.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

TheReverend posted:

3 fights, homie.

n/m: you're sneaky.

I keep forgetting the McMann fight since it had no hype whatsoever, nothing compared to her first two. And that's my point even Rousey's least important fight is more successful than the entire UFC roster. So many male fighters have like 15 fights and have never come close to sniffing what Ronda has done in 3. I'm not sure if the next female champion will capture lightning in a bottle again since Ronda has the sex market value + novelty of being the first UFC WMMA champion going for her, but it's definitely not going to suck for the next line of female fighters either.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

That's gotta be some sort of record for most replacements in a relevant fight, right? Usually UFC gives up after 2 replacements.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Palhares/Fitch or Shields/Fitch or Shields/Palahares etc. would absolutely be a relevant fight if it were happening in UFC. Those fights are just going to be happening in a separate organization is all.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Jon Fitch is no longer on his weirdo vegan diet. He's back to eating meat every day. He's going to be a light heavyweight fighting at 170 again. Bring Back Jon Fitch

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Shalorus is World Class Wrestler

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

fatherdog posted:

Newell is a good fighter, it's just that he's now gotten to the point where he's fighting guys that are good fighters and also have two arms.

That's what I was thinking before the fight happened and Bas was going over all the advantages Gaethje has over Newell. He could have said "has more limbs" and left it at that.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

7 months ago I had only seen that happen once, now it's been 3 times in as many months. ay caramba

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Leonard Garcia is exciting in that he can take a punch and it's fun to watch better fighters show off their striking skills.

Also that version of Leonard Garcia you're thinking about peaked in the 2nd Nam Phan fight. His last 3 UFC losses were not fun, just sort of sad.

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 14, 2014

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Diego Sanchez used to be a decent fighter. I can't recall when Leonard Garcia was one.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Sports Illustrated cover went to his head.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Jon Fitch looked good in the Hallman fight but I'm still disappointed he wasn't able to get the finish even at a heavier catchweight against a man with a lot of miles on him.

Andrei Arlovski looked bad in WSOF and still got a UFC contract and what do you know his UFC return fight was trash too. All I'm saying is bring back Fitch.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

the most upsetting thing to me is Daniel Stittgen. He had one of the worst UFC debuts I can remember.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Agreed. Most of the good FYAD posters already follow this sport and post in these threads making funny posts. A FYAD-lite would just encourage even more unfunny shitposting and redundant MMA jokes.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I really have no idea how Gina would make more money with Bellator than UFC, and there's no way Gina is trying to get back into fighting as a career instead of a quick payday, so until there's an official press release I don't buy it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

fatherdog posted:

"I've confirmed that bellator has made an offer" is the sort of thing FRB loves to post because whether it's true or not it's unlikely to ever be proved wrong

Exactly. I don't doubt that Coker & Carano are still good friends and he might be trying to gauge any interest in signing Carano over, but that's a huge hill Bellator has to climb. The only thing I think Bellator could offer Carano is the 145 weight division, but everything else is inferior to UFC.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

fatherdog posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Bellator were negotiating with both of them, but it's a weird place to start with a women's division you'd need to build from the ground up.

I mean the general vibe of Bellator for a long time has been "quickly fix this sinking ship" instead of "build a whole new one" so signing Carano and Coenen to co-main the next Rampage PPV with no real plan in place is appropriate to me, but it's going to fail just as badly as whatever they're doing now.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I base all of my opinions on internet forums. According to them,

[we really need a new b-league thread. I'll do it myself if necessary but I can't vouch for the accuracy of it since I haven't watched b-league in months and there's no way I'm typing "what's Paul Daley up to?" into google.]

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

War Machine's been caught according to TMZ

According to an officer ... Dog the Bounty Hunter was also there.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Chael Sonnen @sonnench
I caught War Machine.

Lift the suspension NSAC.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Gregor Samsa posted:

TMZ's track record for determining whether a fighter is alive or not is spotty. Let's not bury coco just yet.

nah they got a photo of him in cuffs walking to the squad car. unless they beat him to death at the station He's Alive and Captured

that's what you get for betting on MMA warrants.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

omg chael crash posted:

I don't get it

Renaissance Faire, renfaire, henfaire gracie

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Also from that Scott Coker interview, Eddie Alvarez sounds like he's going through more negotiation hell. Basically, Coker doesn't plan on going back to PPV anytime soon and we can guess that Eddie's contract stipulates PPV fights, which is why the "lawyers are talking it over." It's a shame that Eddie should have/would have fought like 5 times over the last two years but instead it will only have been once because of all this other bullshit.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Letting Alvarez go is one thing, but if they're letting Michael Chandler go then they might as well not even have a lightweight division. So I'd wager it's nothing.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I doubt there's any bad blood between Dana and Bonnar over that. Bellator gave him an offer, Bonnar let UFC know exactly what was happening and they said sure, help us bankrupt this organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

fatherdog posted:

The UFC was fine with Franklin becoming the President of ONEFC while still under contract to them, and Dana still likes Coker as opposed to Bjorn, so this doesn't necessarily mean Bonnar is on the outs. Although if he wasn't I would wonder why he isn't just fighting in the UFC. Maybe he wants to actually win a title for once, or maybe he just wants to beat up Tito.

Yeah I was going to post about the Franklin OneFC deal. That is way more troublesome for UFC's global expansion into a territory they desperately want compared to Bonnar fighting Rampage Jackson on some indian reservation.

I'm guessing UFC doesn't want to give Bonnar a contract because they would prefer he stay retired and they don't want him hurting his UFC image more than the 2nd failed drug test may have already done, and Bellator will give him way more exposure than they would. Like in UFC Bonnar would be fighting St. Preux on a Fight Pass card, but in Bellator he'll be featured on the PPVs and main eventing Spike shows.

And as everyone brings up, Bonnar beating Tito is worth it.