Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

WetSpink posted:

So does the fact that there's a new thread mean that it's no longer blocking people from making new characters on goon server, queues are gone and crashes are cleared up?

No, Yes, and Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

bigmandan posted:

I got to 31 BOT last night and I'm still alive somehow!

I'm 46 and the satisfaction from sending people Kidragoras is the only thing keeping me alive at this point.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Grondoth posted:

Is there a horrible dark side where they cast people out and they turn into bandits because there's no other way to survive?

I think that is exactly what Ala Mhigans are? Except they're also dicks who tried to invade Gridania so it's understandable?

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Cabbit posted:

Probably because the US/EU servers might be down, and you're probably on a Japanese server.

http://www.arrstatus.com/ ??

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

LibbyM posted:

The game mentioned something about a tab where I can check out recommended quests I could do right now, and I can't seem to find where that is. Not a big deal at the moment, plenty of quests around, but I'd like to know for the future.

It's in the lower right if you're on PC, one of the red icons, it's under Duty -> Recommended.

Shinjobi posted:

In any case, I'm sure the artifact armor will be eclipsed by something new in the next year or so. Just bare with it for another 12 months.:tipshat:

AF is eclipsed by Darklight stuff from what I've read. So that's like, right now.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Nightwatcher posted:

Is it worth it to play around with different classes when first starting out?
I am almost 15 as a Marauder and am enjoying it, but I am interested in both Warrior and Bard for Jobs ultimately.

I would say at the very least stick with one class until you unlock a Grand Company and can start earning seals. You'll probably be doing some FATEs to level other classes anyways, you might as well be getting seals for them.

Also it gives you a nice buffer for your armory bonus (+50% xp when playing a class under your highest level).

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

City of Heroes taught me to drag them into the nearest dumpster.

But only after gathering up at least a hundred first. Stop loving up my herd I'm not done yet.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Apathetic Panda posted:

Ah, you must be on Balmung! I actually run an RP/progression guild there (Neither of those people are in my guild, though).

You have no idea how deep that rabbit hole goes.

I've been curious about FFXIV RP, because of the day/night/weather cycle, do you stick to that when roleplaying?

"I've been making copper ingots for 85 hours straight without moving from this spot. Please end my life."

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Unless they're just slow on updating it, their big post they keep updated says it should be open.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/80cd4583bf743600105b947d6906d0909189e479

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Platypus Farm posted:

The beiber thing actually happened or the guy said that on the LS? Either way it's believable.

edit: Cactuar earrings NOW!!!!

Beliebable*

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

If you're on Excalibur I will queue with you as a healer.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Cabbit posted:

I am, but I decided to put it off until later in order to engage in a bout of navel gazing re: whether I should reroll as a different race and/or level up arcanist or thaumaturge first. This is a constant quandary I'm faced with.

With how often the server is closed for creation, the answer is usually "No" and you can switch the other thing whenever.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

I'm pretty pleased with it, but the grass is always greener on the Lalafell side.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Excalibur just won Cactuar Earrings.

Please Look Forward to them after maintenance.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

I dunno I'm 40 on my main combat job (White Mage) and I've never really hit any huge gaps yet.

I do go back and heal dungeons for basically anyone who asks though so maybe that helps more than I think.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Shantotto FATE & Minion

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Got my first level 50 class tonight, spent WAY too much on this directly afterwards, but it feels so good.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Francis posted:

It's a level 34 fight, so you shouldn't need a level 35 spell to succeed at it. That part checks out.

Yeah, you barely need to even heal during it to be honest. There's like one damaging attack he does to the tank, and one he does to everyone. Everything else is just dodging stuff, and if you don't dodge it, you probably failed, or need to cast an extra cure.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Nephielle posted:

I am going to have to suggest that everyone who is able to use THM abilities to level it up for Swiftcast. Summoner, Scholar, you get Swiftcast and you can instantly raise in a boss fight, which can be a necessity at times, or you can instantly raise your pet. CNJ, it's to the same effect. My god. I'm glad that my main is BLM because I frequently use Swiftcast and it is such a lovely ability to have.

CASTERS: Get Swiftcast! It is very important that you do.

I was also wondering what Botanist is like to level up. Is it acceptable fun to an extent? Or am I going to fall asleep while playing it?

I'm trying to get Swiftcast for my WHM right now after particularly tough experience trying to DF Cutter's Cry 2 nights in a row, and finally succeeding by the skin of my teeth by running around and Aero spamming the Chimera myself to finish it.

Anyways, Botanist is like, you know how when you're first starting out you kinda just kill the same little group of 5 guys in a circle for your beginner quests or hunting logs or whatever? It's like that, for 50 levels.

Pretty much just use a controller and watch tv or listen to music or a podcast and zone out while you chat with friends or something.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Until you get to like, Outer La Noscea.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Grondoth posted:

Hey I got a question. If you're in a party outside of a dungeon, can you use your limit breaks?

Yes

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Every time I see someone on the Goobbue mount I get mad partially because I will never have it, but mostly because it is obscuring like 200% of my view of everything else holy poo poo I can't even see where I'm going I just wanna do FATEs.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Chucat posted:

Also if you're really getting into the HQ leve thing, don't be afraid to use the market board if you're making anything that requires materials from mining or botany.

Since a ton of people are levelling these two professions, you're able to get really, really cheap HQ mats on the Market Board (at least on Excalibur), and due to that, it's a lot easier for you to actually make the HQ stuff, and rather bizarrely, because you're getting a lot more gil, you're actually going to generate gil, or at worse, break even.

If you do this then you can spend all that gil you saved up on buying level 50 crafting gear and paying for those ripoff level 50 quests.

People who are leveling Mining/Botany are idiots and would rather just move poo poo out of their inventory than actually make any money off of it, from what I've seen.

One day there won't be anything listed for certain items, so you sell a few stacks at decent prices. Then people notice they're selling at that price and all farm it up and/or try to offload theirs in the nastiest undercutting wars you've ever seen until it reaches a point where the market is flooded and nobody cares and HQ poo poo is like 3 gil per item.

You would hope it would equalize but so far I haven't seen it happen, more of the cheap poo poo sells, and them more cheap listings get put up to replace them.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

What started out as some bored FATE grinders in N. Thanalan lining up their unicorns by height...

TURNED INTO A REVOLUTION

Until the next FATE popped.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Sorry to the story Garuda crew from about an hour ago, my internet just came back from it's random outage :(

Hope you guys finished!

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Cabbit posted:

Man, Conjurer is great. Why haven't I been playing Conjurer instead of Arcanist? I get to cure people, I get to hurl giant boulders at people, and later on I get an absorb shield and Regen. And best of all, no pet to manage.

Dude it's just getting started, Stone II is basically Fossilize from Earth Control in CoH, only bigger, and without the hold.

And then there's Holy, probably the best spell ever, once you get a bit into your White Magehood

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

There's some quests in weird places that open up in the 40s, one chain in Old Gridania by the Botanists's guild sort of at like 43 I think? And then some random 46-48 stuff in Quarrymill. Probably more spread around the world, makes no sense to me.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Lizard Wizard posted:

Where's a good place to grind FATEs at level 24?

Quarrymill, South Shroud

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

On the other hand, it is an MMO.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

hipster werewolf posted:

On the other other hand, I think we're well past the point where the first M should stand for "Mandatory."

I dunno I think it would have been very difficult to design cool, soloable story fights with the same impact as like, Titan and Garuda.

I'm only 49 yet but the group parts have been the most enjoyable for me, not the multiple "well kill these 3 adds and then 3 more will show up and by the time you're done with that the NPCs will have gotten the main guy down low enough for you to finish him off and feel awesome" solo encounters.

As a disclaimer I am a Healer so I don't get the hellish DPS queues, but, I have always tried to make myself available to anyone, DPS or otherwise, in the FC who need to complete a story dungeon or fight.

PUPPY PUZZLE fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 30, 2013

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

That sounds just as bad as making it solo.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

I just hit 50 on White Mage tonight yay.

And since it's relevant to the current discussion, I enjoy healing mostly because I feel like they have the least to learn, mechanically. Every encounter as a White Mage (that I've played so far) can be explained after the tank and dps mechanics/gimmicks as "you heal everyone while all the rest of that is going on and just stay out of red circles", and that's pretty much exactly my speed.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Chucat posted:

It's interesting since this is exactly why I hated healing in WoW, every encounter functionally felt the same since the healers were so far removed from any sort of gimmick, and half the fights that actually involved a healer gimmick were completely and utterly miserable.

Yeah, I'm just new to Real MMOs™ so this stuff is all still new and intimidating to me. I kind of dread the first run of every new dungeon because "what if this is the one that's different, where it gets hard?" and I have to like pump myself up to queue. That plus now that I'm 50 I'm in the "Everyone Knows" zone instead of the "Everyone's Learning" zone, so not having to have encounters explained to me will (I hope) be nice when people won't bother because you should already know, they've done this 50 times TODAY grinding for their loots and tokens.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm glad FF14 is going to start kicking me in the nuts @ 50. I'll agree pubbies are loathesome, and PS3 pubbies are even worse, but getting a good group of friends is and kicking down content and being able to show off to the pubbies is worth it.

EDIT: It felt good back in Vanilla WoW and TBC, and I'm drat sure it'll feel good now. Things like "raid finder" have diminished the accomplishments of the truly dedicated.

I don't think the duty finder diminishes anything.

In fact just being able to finish content with them is more of an accomplishment than doing it with your premade team would have been.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Which one of you motherfuckers is Aachu Achu?

I wasn't joking.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

It's prohibitively expensive though, we don't have limitless MP like you do and that poo poo costs like 500.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Haha, he asked if someone would gather him enough to go from 37-50 off Linen Hats, I said sure.

He didn't give me a number but I remember someone else said "thousands", so I started with one thousand.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Rotanee posted:

I'm curious how long that took you? I can do somewhere around 700-800 an hour.

As an aside, flax was selling up until this weekend for about 150gil each on my server (at times it was down to 85, but always went up), and there was almost no one else harvesting it. It sold really fast. Was nice while it lasted.

Sounds about right, a couple hours, but I wasn't just straight gathering or even at keys the whole time so I couldn't give you an exact number.

And yeah I had a similar situation on our server with Thanalan Tea Leaves, I was gathering it to level and there were only like 8 listed at all, I think I sold like 600 of them around 250-300 before more people caught wind and it crashed out.

I should probably be trying harder to gather unspoiled stuff but I'm kinda focusing on WHM for now, outside of any requests I notice in the crafting LS or something.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Pomp posted:

It's hands down the worst dungeons in the game, and nothing could ever make me run it a second time.

*clears throat*

Aurum Vale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Do you actually want to gather anything from unspoiled nodes?

• Locked thread