Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Qatar is unlivable in the summer, it empties out June to August. Even the sea is too hot to swim in. Air-conditioned stadiums or not, there will be no entertainment outside of getting blitzed in the hotel lobby or cramming into the lovely malls here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

Is that even an option? I was under the impression you couldn't really drink in Qatar except for the special sections they're setting up for the WC.

Five star hotels all serve alcohol and as far as I know the lesser rated ones will for the world cup too.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Watching the jabulani ball soar into the 20th row to never-ending B-flat > USA 94

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Teddles posted:

It would be nice if some of the teams stepped up and refused to use any infrastructure/hotel/stadium that was built by this labour.

All unskilled construction labour makes between £150-200 a month, with most having to pay back a visa and loan shark for years after they arrive. Passports are kept by the sponsor and exit permits required to leave.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Ninpo posted:

Yeah and not just Qatar, the entire region isn't exactly a poster child for labour friendliness. If I recall correctly the UAE human rights record is atrocious as well.

Dubai kicked the abuse off on a major scale in the mid-90s. The entire GCC boom of the past 15 years has been on the backs of indentured labour, but Dubai and Abu Dhabi are hands down the worst of the bunch.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

julian assflange posted:

What fascinates me the most is the effort they put in to get the tournament. Why do they want it so much? How could it possibly be worth that much to them?

It's part of a powerful Renaissance mentality in the GCC right now. Qatar is the world's largest buyer in modern art, they're buying up high-end property in London, New York and other Euro cities. They spent tens of millions on the 2020 Olympic bid. It's summed up in part in the Qatar National Vision 2030, which talks about transforming from a carbon economy into a knowledge economy, which is what Qatar Foundation was created to achieve. Qatar in the 50s was a nation of 40,000 living in houses made of clay and coral. Today it's close to 2m with LED skyscrapers and gold plated Maybachs.

It's a golden dawn thousand year legacy mindset, not just a World Cup.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Defending Qatar this month – European Club Association head Karl Heinz-Rummenigge: "After visiting Qatar for our last general assembly we had a good feeling about a World Cup there." Also last week: German tax authorities fine Rummenigge a reported €250,000 for failing to declare two Rolexes received as gifts during the trip.

Sounds like that whore got Rummenigged

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Giving Fifa a lift after another tough month: the prompt conclusion of an inquiry into Qatari slave state allegations, led by Ali bin Samikh al-Marri, head of Qatar's national human rights committee. His verdict: "There is no slavery or forced labour in Qatar."

Again, you couldn't make this poo poo up.

This reminds me of the Abu Dhabi prince who had a thing for videoing torture seshs out in the desert where he'd ride over legs in his land cruiser and force feed sand and shoot an assault rifle round the head before adding it to his VHS stack for later, but after the video made the internet and the state department started huffing and gesturing they had a trial where it was adjudged that the torturee was fine with it, really.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Sounds like the Apartheid era pencil test. If the pencil drops he's def into the lads.

I work with a number of gays and Doha has a very active community. In Saudi it's even bigger due to the gender segregation: http://m.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/05/the-kingdom-in-the-closet/305774/

I'll be surprised if there's a thing to this.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Ex-Fifa executive Franz Beckenbauer: "I have not seen a single slave in Qatar. I don't know where these reports come from. I've been to Qatar and have a completely different picture of it. I think mine is more realistic."

I live in Qatar. Was he expecting emaciated men in loincloths dragging huge chunks of limestone over logs? They're more or less unmissable.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Well they may be harder to spot when a billionaire oil sheikh is carting you around in his limo and throwing massive bags of money at you all the time.

It's 100% obvious that all we're going to get from FIFA is paid off PR bullshit. Could there possibly be room for citizen journalism here? Maybe people who live there could document what's actually going on and how slavery actually totally is a loving thing. It might get traction and picked up?

There are some sources that have picked up the issue, but until recently it was focused on Dubai. Dohanews.co is the most hard-hitting, but even they have to couch it in euphemism to continue operating. The fact is that if you step on toes, you could get your residency revoked and deported, and very few people here are willing to stick their necks out. There are some positive signs. One of the largest projects underway in the country came out today with a press release about improving the lot of its 14,000 labourers http://thepeninsulaqatar.com/qatar/260225-msheireb-will-have-several-new-features.html

Several multinational oil and gas companies are refusing to use contractors with lovely records. It's still finger in the dyke stuff, but better than nothing.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
haha Christ

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

trem_two posted:

Amnesty International has released a 166 page document covering the human rights abuses against migrant workers doing construction labor for the WC stadiums in Qatar.

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/sites/de...e_world_cup.pdf

Here are the chapter titles:

2: EXPLOITED AND ABANDONED: THE WORKERS OF KRANTZ ENGINEERING

3: ROUTINE ABUSE IN THE CONSTRUCTION SECTOR

4: CONSTRUCTION COMPANIES AND HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES

5: A SYSTEM THAT PERMITS ABUSE AND TRAPS WORKERS

The summary of their findings can be read here: https://www.amnesty.org.uk/press-releases/qatar-fifa-must-not-tolerate-human-rights-abuses-construction-projects-2022-world-cup

Thats some depressing reading right there

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

What incentive do qatar have to change seeing as FIFA has already said it's going to be held there no matter what??

Thing is Qatar is deeply invested in what people think. Damien Hirst just managed to fleece them of tens of millions because Qatar is dead set on being the modern art capital of the world.

There could be a real impact on worker's rights provided the pressure is maintained. The problem internally is removing the sponsorship system. Many Qatari citizens make their living as sponsors, both of companies and expatriates, and surveys show that the vast majority want the khafala system tightened, not relaxed, so it won't be an easy sell.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Just been listening to five live and they're discussing if the tennis in qatar will be called off due to temperature, in january

Its freezing here at the minute. I had to wear a jumper.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Its indentured labour, not literal slavery. See also: ephebophilia.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
I'm being extorted by my employer and forced to work against my will lol

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Jerome Champagne, the most Haraam name in football, has said he might strip Qatar of the hosting if elected:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2625217/French-FIFA-candidate-threatens-strip-Qatar-2022-World-Cup-succeeds-Blatter.html

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Changes to the Kafala system are to be announced in a press conference this afternoon.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Result of the press conference: Things will definitely change from the Kafala system to a new system that we call something else as soon as we get the committee to submit their recommendations to the cabinet for approval. Deadline to be confirmed.

I'm fuckd

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Was Taters posted:

If you wanted to watch the E:60 piece on Kafala, btw, it's up here: http://bluefoottv.com/projects/e60-qatars-world-cup/

I'll do that while indulging in some light cutting.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Are you literally trapped in Qatar?

More of a Catch 22. My employer is extorting me under the threat of deportation to work at half the market wage while I slowly bleed to bankruptcy with rising rent and school fees. Salaries are paid in bits and pieces. I can either head home with nothing or hope that the law changes and step into a job that pays more than double. I should probably just cut my losses.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Blue Screen Error posted:

Have you considered leading a slave uprising?

I hadn't OP

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Get out and never look back

Just as soon as I level up with the bank. Heh.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
A brief overview of the changes:

• The Qatar Chamber of Commerce (strongly opposed to any change) have to make recommendations and amends to the proposal before it gets approved by cabinet.
• Employers no longer issue exit permits. You apply for an exit permit on a government website, and your employer has 72 hours to block you leaving.
• The kafala system has been 'scrapped'. Now there's an employer/employee contract, where an employee can leave at the end of the contract. Employers are allowed to give open-ended contracts, in which case the employee can leave after 5 years.
• You are no longer banned from Qatar for 2 years after leaving employment.

So nothing has changed

e: http://dohanews.co/expats-express-disappointment-proposed-labor-law-changes/

corpuscollossus fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 15, 2014

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Koesj posted:

Stop posting about it here they're literally reading along over your shoulder in the Gulf m8

There's enough outrage and vitriol about this all over that this is fine (probably). Provided you don't name names or make threats you're ok. As for leaving, there's no way until my contract is up. Embassies won't help unless you're in serious poo poo (the British embassy wouldn't give any assistance to a mate who was arrested on completely spurious charges in Oman and had to sleep rough for two months), and besides being painted into a corner here I'm worse off back home. If I were single and childless I'd have left three years ago.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
As BSE said, I'm white and privileged, and besides my employer threatening me, forcing me to work for half of what I should be earning, the only threat I'm under is defaulting on payments. My situation is a walk in the park compared to most.

There are hundreds of thousands of expat families here and if you're making bank, life is really good. I, like everyone here, came to make easy tax free income. I got a little unlucky. didn't mean to turn this thread into my personal E/N.

Next week my situation will be clearer. If I can't negotiate an exit from the company, I'll be packing it in and leaving when my visa expires in July

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Hegay posted:

e: FIFA also wants the Brazil laws changed to make "ambush marketing" a crime punishable by up to a year in prison lol

I just read an article on this and I'm mad as hell

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Why hasn't anyone already done this? It's widely reported that Qatar is basically a slave state. Are India/Nepal too afraid to make a fuss?

India receives $70bn a year in personal remittances, a large portion of that from the GCC, and a full quarter of Nepal's GDP comes from remittances. These aren't countries that are likely to rock the boat.

quote:

Wasn't there some Brit who was stuck in Qatar recently?

I'm not British, and I am more or less free to leave the country, I'm just not able to move employers. I'm planning to cut my losses and get out as soon as possible, but I need to plan a soft landing elsewhere for my families sake. I wouldn't recommend a career here to anyone.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Dravs posted:

Who currently holds your passport? I hope you keep it in your back pocket all the time.

Isn't the Garcia report due today? Do we get to see how much money he was paid to say how wonderful and corruption free FIFA is?

It's due after the Brazil World Cup. I have my passport but require an exit permit and a bank clearance to make it past passport control :shepicide:

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

Not to feed on your personal misfortune but I would be legit interested in an "[Ask] me about being a prisoner working in Qatar" thread.

This would be a bad idea.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Dirk Pitt posted:

Qatar is a dry heat.

It's dry until the end of July, but the Shamal wind blows from May and can make conditions pretty unbearable. Dry heat without the wind can even be pleasant when you're used to it, but you just avoid outdoors altogether from August until mid October.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

quote:

we declare that there will be no World Cup in Qatar since Qatar will be part of the Caliphate

Much as I dislike living in Qatar, maybe its worth hanging about to see what living in Cali is like

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

advanced statsman posted:

Actually the Qatari officials are all cool buff dudes and they didn't really need to pay me to convince me that Qatar is, in fact, the best choice for a World Cup, cementing a new route to connect East and West and unite the world through Football.

This post sponsored by

corpuscollossus fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 2, 2014

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Byolante posted:

I have great faith in the humans rights codefied in law by a country that promotes slavery.

Qatar is perfectly safe if you stay off the roads and don't fall foul of the law, also that it remains out of the rapidly expanding Caliphate

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Playing at night in the middle of summer would make little difference unless the stadiums were fully air-conditioned. The only time you spend outdoors between the beginning of May and end of September is between the car door and front door. Even if the games can be moved to the evenings, you'll have millions of fans stuck round-the-clock in hotels. Winter at least will give people the option of the beach or outdoor fan venues.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Byolante posted:

Because they can't keep the grass alive in 40 degree deserts

actually

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

oldman posted:

I thought the North Korean labor contingents were well known already?

I've been indentured in Qatar a while and its news to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
The Emir has finally signed off on the new labour law, though no one knows the content of it yet:

http://www.qatarliving.com/forum/news/posts/hh-emir-qatar-approves-changes-labor-law

The business sector are supposedly 'really happy' with the proposal so it more or less guarantees that nothing fundamental will change.