Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its funny that there were rumours earlier this week and last week Qatar were going to lose the World Cup due to something other than it being obviously loving stupid and then this story broke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bea Nanner posted:

I was thinking how this issue really highlights the difference between sports journalism and real journalism.

During the Euros, the Suns chief European journalist, not sports journalist, wrote articles about Rooney's hair care products and poo poo like that. None of them care

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The lack of giving a poo poo is fairly representative of lots of the media. And before anyone forgets the reason this thread was started, Sarkozy is one of the big reasons Qatar got the world cup so most politicians don't care either

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The US getting another world cup before everyone else going for it apart from Qatar would be a pisstake anyway

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Take out Qatar and the other bidding countries were Australia, Japan, South Korea, and the United States. Australia would have been the only one not to host for the second time so really that whole group was kind of underwhelming.

Even better, it makes Blatter's southern hemisphere comments make even less sense if Australia got it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I can't wait for the oval office to die

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

euroboy posted:

You never get that impression reading non-british media. He moans a lot yeah, but he seems more critical about the spanish league. There's no special bias against england from him, it's a myth.

You're only a slave in Blatter's eyes if you play for an English club

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Well they are old and quite fat, so in all likelyhood a significant percentage of them will die before the Qatar World Cup rolls around. Those will be fun days.

Reminder that Platini voted for Qatar and he is almost certainly going to be the next FIFA president

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Psybro posted:

Well I'd say a wider understanding of how things work in the Gulf is certainly spreading.

I agree. I had no idea it was hot there

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

FIFA hate the English. Going for IFAB leadership might have worked though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It'll work by FIFA ranking forcing everyone to suffer through more friendlies every world cup as every country tries to boost its ranking

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Asian federation $$$

Same reason they want to cut European spaces at the world cup. They don't give a poo poo about anything except the money. Its no wonder Platini has realised the more logical solution is just to add more teams so even more money but the teams people like are still there

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The only reason FIFA are even doing anything is because it turns out footballers are also stuck in Qatar and they managed to get word out

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Red card and penalty is a harsh punishment. Should only be red if its a reckless/dangerous challenge as well

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/20/jerome-champagne-sepp-blatter-fifa-presidency

Jerome Champagne is going to run for FIFA presidency. How long before he gets caught up in a corruption scandal so Blatter can run uncontested again?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I can't wait to see how much it costs looking as how much was spent on Sochi

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/18/qatar-world-cup-india-migrant-worker-deaths

India have confirmed 500 people have died since 2012 building poo poo in Qatar

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

England are probably never hosting a football tournament again because its too expensive to bribe FIFA unlike the IOC

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

To be fair, it'd be kind of ridiculous to say an olympics with a literal terrorist bombing in it was "the best ever".

The IOC and FIFA are both disgusting though.

Their competition to be more blatantly corrupt than the other is kind of funny

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I need to get a job at FIFA

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

You really should have quoted the best part

quote:

The money transfer to Mr Teixeira’s daughter, whose account is registered in Rio, is thought to have been made by Sandro Rosell. Mr Teixeira has had a long-standing relationship involving a number of reported business deals with Mr Rosell, who was previously head of Nike Brazil and until early this year was President of Barcelona Football Club.

The payment from Mr Rosell to Antonia was made on June 22 2011, when she was 10 years old. Sources close to the football club said they did not know about the payment. In December 2010, the Catalan club agreed a sponsorship deal with the Qatar Foundation, which developed into a three-year corporate sponsorship with Qatar Airways.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

Between him and Tokyo Sexwhale you have to wonder if Sepp is just making up names and giving them to his puppets.

Tokyo Sexwhale is my favourite name ever

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Ultimate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_(sport)

for some loving reason we had to play this sport in primary school, it was fun though

A name so dumb it could be any already existing sport

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/22/fifa-film-tim-roth-sepp-blatter

I can't wait until they're all dead

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Nobody is going to see the film so its not like it matters.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/02/fifa-ethics-head-michael-garcia-will-not-look-at-qatar-corruption-evidence

Like we expected anything else really

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/03/uefa-president-qatar-bid-bin-hammam

Platini is so corrupt I'm starting to think Blatter sanctioned this leaks because he knew he was safe

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/10/franz-beckenbauer-fine-fifa-investigation-world-cup

Beckenbauer might get fined by FIFA for refusing to help with the corruption investigation

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Peanut President posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Votes based on FIFA Rankings. Spain gets like 1, American Samoa gets 250.

lol FIFA rankings are a massive joke

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Blatter has dirt on everyone. There was an article I think on the Guardian recently about how he got to where he is, and lots of it was getting people to owe him favours so all of the dodgy stuff was done by other people so technically he's clean. Nobody at FIFA can touch him

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

I loving hate FIFA and Sepp Blatter.

It all started with Joao Havelange hating England and turned into this farce because of Switzerland. gently caress the Swiss

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hegay posted:

I HOPE HE DIES SOON FFS

I don't know, winning the next FIFA election as he becomes increasingly senile would be interesting

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its one of the reasons FIFA is hosed at doing anything important. Before he got caught bribing everyone Jack Warner had a ridiculous amount of power because all of the CONCACAF members did whatever he wanted giving him a huge amount of votes despite all being poo poo at football

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Reminder that FIFA forces all world cup hosts to make everything tax free for FIFA and their sponsors

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol i expected them to at least pretend it was real

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Akileese posted:

He remains in power because he's been in power so long. When you hold a position like that, you get dirt on everyone. I'm not convinced (from strictly a corruption standpoint) that Blatter is any worse than the rest of these fucks.

He got dirt on everyone by making them do all the dodgy stuff as repayment for favours over the years, so technically he's completely clean if poo poo ever hits the fan.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The 2022 world cup could be held at either the start or end of the year to make sure it takes place in winter. FIFA haven't decided which is easier yet

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Qatar are paying North Korea for a load of Koreans to help build the city for the world cup

Jose fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 7, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

What would it actually take for Qatar to lose the WC?

ISIS successfully taking over control of Qatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How many FIFA ethics investigators are there?