Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
9 years between now and then for them to just scrap the whole thing which I'm sure will happen as sane minds and the untouchables prevail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Trying to figure out why on earth he's just holding up a piece of paper with FIFA on it.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Nostradingus posted:

I fully intend to enjoy the gently caress out of this World Cup because there won't be joy again until at least 2026.

I can't even remember the last piece of positive news about Brazil 2014.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Hardflip posted:

Qatar World Cup: '$5m payments to officials' corruption claim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27652181

Fifa is facing fresh allegations of corruption over its controversial decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

The Sunday Times has obtained millions of secret documents - emails, letters and bank transfers - which it alleges are proof that the disgraced Qatari football official Mohamed Bin Hammam made payments totalling $5m to football officials in return for their support for the Qatar bid.

There's also this NY Times part 1 or 2 article out today about match fixing, that Ibrahim Chaibou ref and that Singapore based Football 4U cartel and how FIFA is ignoring its own internal investigations into the matter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/sports/soccer/fixed-matches-cast-shadow-over-world-cup.html?_r=0

Pretty good read.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

vyelkin posted:

Blatter didn't want to hold the World Cup in Qatar anyway, apparently. So maybe he's just looking out for whoever bribed him more than the Qataris did.

It's like he realized that all the bribe money in the world wouldn't be worth the immense hassle of so transparently giving a nation like Qatar the World Cup.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

lol

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Well, Qatar's at least admitted that they actually have them in custody now.

quote:

Qatar's foreign ministry said on Saturday, in its first comment on the case, that the men were arrested and "being interrogated for having violated the provisions of the laws of the state of Qatar," according to a statement carried by the official Qatar News Agency.

The statement said that all actions taken against the men are "consistent with the principles of human rights" outlined in the laws of Qatar, and that British embassy officials have visited them to check on their situation.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/07/qatar-detains-humn-rights-british-workers

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Psstt, hey. Yeah, you.

quote:

Sepp Blatter has confirmed he will stand for election for another term as Fifa president.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

ukle posted:

The 2022 one kind of is, given Qatar is allegedly the biggest financial backer of IS.

Islamic State has directly threatened the 2022 World Cup in Qatar so I highly doubt that. It's definitely some Saudi scum.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm amazed he even has a twitter account. It's literally nothing but hatred, death threats and utter vitirol directed at him for every single one of his tweets. It's like he feeds off this poo poo.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Do you honestly think Blatter knows what twitter is? Those posts are made by a social media intern, probably making nothing but 'experience' instead of money

I'm aware of that. My point was more that this avenue of (indirect) criticism is even open.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Badger of Basra posted:

4000 people have already died but they're not real people I guess.

Clearly Qatar 2022 must happen to make sure that these people's great sacrifice for the beautiful game was not in vain...

...is probably what FIFA's PR people are going to try and spin it as in court.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

CubanMissile posted:

Jack Warner selling everyone out.

Didn't he already do this? I swear I have this memory of him completely spilling everything and even showing hard evidence to all the corruption going on but the media completely ignored him or something. Was it just a fever dream?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I thought Tim Roth was respectable.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I think I'll just stick to remembering Tim Roth as honey bunny and "Harry... I'm a coooppp"

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
ahahahaha

quote:

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke has said a men's World Cup could be played on artificial turf "sooner rather than later".

Valcke was responding to the criticism of FIFA's decision that means next year's women's World Cup in Canada will not be played on grass.

A number of leading women players have filed a legal challenge to the decision to play on third-generation synthetic pitches, and a major part of their argument is that men would not be expected to contest a World Cup on anything other than grass.

Valcke said FIFA understands that players want "the best conditions to perform well" but stressed any organiser of any of its tournaments is entitled to propose artificial turf.

The Frenchman insists FIFA would only accept pitches "of the highest quality", and added: "It could well be that sooner rather than later the men's World Cup will also be played on artificial pitches."

He told FIFA's website that Canada's decision to offer artificial pitches was "due to the extreme climate in the host country", a problem that looks set to also arise when the men's 2022 World Cup is played in Qatar.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter told German magazine Sport Bild the world governing body will listen to all pitch suggestions, saying men could play a World Cup on a synthetic surface "maybe even tomorrow".

Blatter said: "We are open to proposal from the local organisers, and this has been possible for years in accordance with the FIFA regulations. Artificial turf is the future of football."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9540324/fifa-considers-switching-to-artificial-pitches-for-world-cup

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Start following curling.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

Fifa vice president Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan will stand for election in a bid to oust Sepp Blatter as leader of football’s scandal-hit world governing body.

The 39-year-old Prince Ali declared his intention on Tuesday to stand as a candidate in the Fifa presidential election on May 29 in Zurich, where Blatter has pledged to seek a fifth mandate at age 79.

“This was not an easy decision,” the prince said in a single-page statement in which he pledged to run a positive campaign and did not specifically mention Blatter. “It came after careful consideration and many discussions with respected Fifa colleagues over the last few months.”

“The message I heard, over and over, was that it is time for a change,” said Prince Ali, who has been encouraged to run by Uefa and its president Michel Platini.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/06/jordan-prince-ali-fifa-presidency

Blatter's going up against royalty this time and this guy's (visible) reputation seems impeccable. I'm fascinated by what kind of skeletons Sepp is going to dig up for this guy.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

The parliamentary assembly of the Council of Europe has called on Fifa to rerun the vote to host the 2022 World Cup, claiming in a report that the original process was “radically flawed” due to bribery and corruption.

The report, following a series of hearings last year, claims that large sums of money that were paid to more than 30 African football officials by the Qatari former Fifa vice-president Mohammed bin Hammam helped secure the votes of the Confederation of African Football.

Before last summer’s World Cup, the Sunday Times published claims that Bin Hammam had distributed more than $5m in cash gifts, expenses and legal fees to officials. Qatar 2022 has “vehemently denied” wrongdoing and insisted the alleged payments were designed to build goodwill for Bin Hammam’s campaign to dethrone Sepp Blatter as Fifa president rather than win votes for its World Cup bid. It has claimed that Bin Hammam played no “official or unofficial role” in the bid.

But the report’s author, Michael Connarty, having examined the documents obtained by the Sunday Times, said he was convinced they provided evidence of corruption. “Given the structured action of this scale and the sums involved, there can be no doubt that there was a direct correlation between these flagrant irregularities and the outcome of the vote,” he said.

As well as examining the documents provided by the Sunday Times and questioning one of the journalists involved, Heidi Blake, the parliamentarians also heard from Fifa representatives.

Connarty said he had concluded “beyond all reasonable doubt” that the payments from Bin Hammam were designed to win the votes of the African members on the executive committee, thus allowing Qatar to eliminate two rival Asian bids – Australia and Japan/South Korea – in the early rounds of bidding.

“In these circumstances, Fifa cannot evade the obligation to hold a new vote under its new rules on the allocation of major events including the World Cup,” said the report. “The claim that Qatar does not have direct responsibility for Mr Bin Hammam’s dealings should not be allowed to validate a procedure so fundamentally undermined by illegality.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/27/world-cup-2022-qatar-fifa-vote-rerun-council-of-europe

:pram:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

Fifa has effectively admitted handing a lucrative World Cup television rights contract to Rupert Murdoch’s Fox network in order to head off the threat of legal action over the decision to move the Qatar 2022 tournament to winter.

Jérôme Valcke, the Fifa secretary general, said no rules had been broken in awarding the rights to the 2026 tournament to Fox and NBC-owned Telemundo in the US without a tender.

Fox had been among the most vocal critics of the decision to switch the 2022 tournament to November in order to avoid the country’s summer heat, because the new dates would clash with the NFL season and college sport. “We have done what we had to do in order to protect Fifa and the organisation of the World Cup,” Valcke said.

Fox paid $425m for the rights to the 2018 World Cup in Russia and the 2022 tournament in Qatar three years ago when Fifa was still insisting it would take place in the summer.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/25/fifa-world-cup-tv-rights-jerome-valcke-fox-telemundo-legal-fight

Incredible. What a bribe.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Dang, that guys just taking chunks out of his fingers

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Pissflaps posted:

This is all so far removed from a bunch of a guys kicking a ball around a pitch jesus christ.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
lol revote

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Blatter is going to win

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

Sepp Blatter has warned that anyone who associates him with the recent scandal at Fifa “should go to jail” and insisted that “he will go to heaven one day”.

Fourteen senior executives of football’s governing body were charged with corruption on 27 May by prosecutors in the United States over bids for major tournaments dating back 24 years.

Blatter is due to relinquish his role as Fifa president at an extraordinary congress to be held between December and March. However, after speculation that he could yet remain in his role was dampened by Fifa, Blatter is adamant that he has not committed any crime and revealed that he has been relying on his string Christian faith to help him through the crisis.

“I have a clean conscience,” he said in an interview with German magazine Bunte.

“If somebody accuses me of being corrupt, I ask him whether he knows the meaning of that word. Whoever calls me corrupt will have to prove it, but nobody can prove that because I am not corrupt.

“I am open to correct or positive criticism. I can use that to reconsider if I need to change in the future. But if anybody calls me corrupt because Fifa is corrupt, I can only shake my head. Everybody who says something like that should go to jail.

Blatter added: “My faith has given me strength during the last week. I am a religious person and pray, too. I own a golden cross that has been blessed by Pope Francis. I believe I will go to heaven one day. But I believe there is no hell. I disagree with the pope on that.”

Blatter’s US lawyer confirmed on Tuesday that the 79-year-old will not attend the Women’s World Cup final in Canada this weekend “for personal reasons”.

:angel:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Whew, I can breathe a little easy now. I'd hate for these two guys to miss out on a World Cup that their organization helped so hard to build.

quote:

The suspended Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, and the Uefa president, Michel Platini, will be invited to the 2018 World Cup in Russia, the Russian sports minister, Vitaly Mutko said.

Blatter and Platini, the two men at the top of the world’s most popular sport, were banned by the world governing body for eight years in December over a spate of corruption scandals on their watch that, among other things, raised questions about Russia’s right to host the tournament.

Mutko told Russia’s R-Sport news agency that Blatter and Platini were appealing against their bans and still permitted to attend football events.

“Formally, the suspension prohibits them from any position in football. But on the other hand, how is it that an outstanding player like Michel Platini can’t go to the football?” Mutko said. “We will invite them, I see no problems with the events we are hosting.”

The Russia president, Vladimir Putin, has called Blatter “a very respected person” who had done much for the development of the global game, fostered it as a form of cooperation between countries and was deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/08/sepp-blatter-michel-platini-invited-world-cup-russia

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Kurtofan posted:

trump getting antsy about qatar, maybe the cup will be cancelled if he invades

It straight up is not happening if the situation remains as is.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Thread title should probably be changed to FIFA Qatarruption or something. Is Blatter even still alive? Seems like ages ago I even heard anything from him.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Christ, I love how the notion of "well see it's not something they adhere too anyway from a cultural standpoint" was resolutely shattered, too.

loving pieces of poo poo.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

I was in Canada last year and a child called me homeslice

lol

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
FIFA opened disciplinary measures against Russia cause of monkey chants towards black players: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/17/world-cup-russia-charged-fan-racism-france-friendly

If back in 2010 I knew everything that would transpire up to 2018 I'd be more shocked at the announcement of Russia getting the world cup than Qatar.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Zotix posted:

#CUM2026

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Was seeing that earlier and how a ton of athletes withdrew cause of the temperature and humidity lmao