Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

The World cup final and the super bowl on a single day?

truly a Ford Barclays Pepsi Al Jazeera Super Sunday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Puseklepp posted:

If anything's good gonna come out of this world cup fiasco, it's gonna be raised awareness for this issue by media.

top draw banter this

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Bacon of the Sea posted:

In terms of money, stadia, ability not to kill footballers during a summer tournament and it being an emerging market who've not hosted it before, the following probably get on the list:

China, India, Canada, Australia, Indonesia, Turkey, Holland and Iran.

A world cup in India would be the most beautifully unorganized mess ever OP

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Defending Qatar this month – European Club Association head Karl Heinz-Rummenigge: "After visiting Qatar for our last general assembly we had a good feeling about a World Cup there." Also last week: German tax authorities fine Rummenigge a reported €250,000 for failing to declare two Rolexes received as gifts during the trip.

this is becoming a parody of itself

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

lmao "The Guardian is just lying" hes like Murdoch on crack

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

I blame Murdoch who in turn I blame on Maggie

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Real Name Grover posted:

Please be true

the executive committee or the natural gas company lmao

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Scott Bakula posted:

You're only a slave in Blatter's eyes if you play for an English club

his and that American's from the finance thread

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

his mission to kill football?

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Blue Screen Error posted:

Platini wants a 40 team world cup and Blatter wants less European places

I want both of these to happen

Imagine a USA, Australia, Korea, and Qatar group of death

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Total Meatlove posted:

This but England

except excluding all western european teams

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

did no one give Amnesty a rolex?

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

He sounds too good to be president of FIFA. Apart from his 'orange card' proposal which won't go down well itf everything else he's said is pretty much bang on the money.

"We need a different Fifa," he said. "More democratic, more respected, which behaves better and which does more."

"More often than ever, matches are being marred by unacceptable scenes of players surrounding and haranguing the referee," he wrote in a document first published in March 2013.

(BBC)

Also, he says all FIFA salaries should be made public, and FIFA presidential candidates should participate in live televised debates. That would fuckin own.

this dude would be so much better than blatter or platini

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Thats Nepalling

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

By 2026, the USA might actually be able to get to the quarter finals again.

because Jozy will have died during triple bypass?

e: in 2026 they'll be hosted in the Caymans or something hilarious

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

alright lads calm down this is not the alex salmond sponsored banter zone

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Jose posted:

England are probably never hosting a football tournament again because its too expensive to bribe FIFA unlike the IOC

England would never make it tax free (like Australlia) either

also wouldn't need to build poo poo so no way for Sepp's construction buddies to get contracts

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Troy Queef posted:

Suddenly the Neymar transfer makes more sense.

didn't realize he had connections to nike Brazil at all

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

The Mash posted:

What would correct international football politics procedure be if Russia were to announce that the 2018 WC final is to be played in Sevastopol?

well Old Dave would definitely put his foot down and freeze some assets and maybe not even go to the G8

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/25/panini-world-cup-sticker-heist

and they said it would be expensive to complete my album

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

vyelkin posted:

If he hasn't completed his mission yet in 16 years, what makes him think he's qualified to complete it now? That is more time than Franklin Delano Roosevelt got as President of the United States, and most people would say he completed at least one of his missions.

His mission is to collect all the money. It's never over.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

You're all being a bit melodramatic about this, presumably corpus is white so nothing bad will happen

Yeah I was thinking this bad things don't happen to White white collar people

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

I'm hoping it goes to court tbh, it's so hosed up it defies comprehension but when you're Sepp and anyone on the FIFA executive committee I guess you can't help but think you can do absolutely whatever the gently caress you want. You don't even need to hide it, just be as corrupt as you want and escape all repercussions, forever

I feel like the broadcasters will step in. Murdoch didn't pay three billion pounds for a winter break.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

They also didnt pay ridiculous sums for world cup rights to have it not be the centre attraction of the summer and instead compete with loads of other sport.

Serious question: what other sports are in Asia? While the American market is obviously flooded with tons of others and we have rugby we all know the money is with the Asians. When's the cricket season for example?

I guess the Japanese have base ball and the Chinese basketball right? Do they watch MLB, NFL, and NBA at close try what the watch football?

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

vaginal culture posted:

Do it in February like the Winter Olympics. Perfect time to be TV viewing.

Lol it's going to clash with the winter Olympics isn't it

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Funky Koval posted:

I wouldn't be so sure. They've proven time and time again that guerrilla warfare isn't their strong point. There are plenty lesser nations that can put up quite a fight and deliver a potential upset.

Idk America is pretty good at funding guerrilla warfare world wide

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Just fly me out to Qatar and give me a Rolex I'll even defend you in D&D

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

advanced statsman posted:

Actually the Qatari officials are all cool buff dudes and they didn't really need to pay me to convince me that Qatar is, in fact, the best choice for a World Cup, cementing a new route to connect East and West and unite the world through Football.

This post sponsored by

they're the kind of guys you can have a beer with

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Scotland/Catalonia Euro 2018 because 5 stadiums is probably enough

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Fluo posted:

British human rights investigators disappear in Qatar, after being followed by plain clothes police
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ce-9709804.html

:wtc:

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

ephex posted:

I dont really know where to put this but Platini wants to ban Ribery for three UEFA matches for every fixture of the French national team that he doesn't show up to.

:psyduck:

while I agree he retired early its 100% up to him

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Surely at this point he will have pissed off enough people by promising to stand down and then not that he wont win again?

lol

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Hes going to be president for the next 20 years isnt he.

hes literally going to die in office because if anyone else takes his seat theres going to be a big investigation and he'll go to jail have to live out his life in the Caymans or something

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

I'm not even sure he's ever going to die

they're going to replace his blood with oil money and his heart will just be a bag of mr potato crisps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Redczar posted:

http://www.espnfc.com/league-name/story/2025540/headline?ex_cid=espnapi_internal

So Sepp has this to say about Uruguay holding a World Cup

Qatar with it's noted large tracts of land however is good to go

can't wait for FIFA's official 420 drugs sponsor