Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lol at the guardian's take

quote:

What has happened to the World Cup?
Well, it’s still there last time we checked, and next year’s tournament in Russia is going ahead as planned. But enjoy the compact, in-no-way-sprawling, 32-team month-long format for only another couple of tournaments. After a vote by the Fifa congress on Tuesday, it’s going to get a lot bigger.

How much bigger?

50% bigger. In 2026, 48 countries will take part in the World Cup and there will be 80 matches as opposed to the current 64 (the hosts are as yet undecided, but for argument’s sake let’s say it’s the Cayman Islands).

That’s a lot of teams
It is indeed. The first World Cup in Uruguay in 1930 comprised just 13 countries. But football has grown since then, you may have noticed, and Fifa currently claims 211 national football associations as members. Fifa’s expressed ambition for this expanded tournament is that it will allow less celebrated footballing nations – think China and India – to join “the world’s greatest party” or whatever they call it nowadays.

That’s nice

Isn’t it?

They then outline the format, which we know about so we'll skip...

quote:

OK … sounds a bit weird?
Well it’s one group game fewer per team than we’ve been used to. But we’ve also been used to a lot of dead rubbers in the past, or at least rubbers where both teams were happy to settle for a draw. Fifa believe this version of the tournament will lead to fewer such games. Indeed no less of an expert in scintillating football than José Mourinho declared last week: “I prefer groups of three. Two matches and then through to the knockout stages or go home. This way, the two group matches will be crucial.

More jokes about parking the bus etc and then...

quote:

Anyway, enough of all that, let’s get to the heart of the matter. Does it mean Scotland will qualify?
Current proposals, which look likely to ratified by Fifa, would mean Europe receiving three more places in the tournament, 16 in all (one per group). So I’d say there was still a strong chance of Scotland stuffing that up.

The proposed breakdown would comprise: Europe 16 teams (13 currently); Africa 9 (5); Asia 8.5 (4.5), South America 6 (4.5), Concacaf 6.5 (3.5), Oceania 1 (0.5), Host nation 1 (1).

That’s weird … Your figures suggest that South America, with nine World Cup wins, would have fewer places than the footballing hotbed of North America and the Caribbean.
Yes it does, doesn’t it. Maybe 2026 will be in the Cayman Islands after all!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/10/48-team-world-cup-fifa-plan-2026

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Its hilarious also that NZ gets automatic qualification too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah and that would widen the door for a US non qualification if they have to face some grown up opposition and FIFA wouldn't want that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alexeythegreat posted:

Back when there was a team from Vladivostok in the Russian PL, I always wanted them to qualify for UEFA competitions and get drawn with a team from Portugal or Spain, just for shits and grins. And whines.

Glad I'm not the only one who wanted this.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Most of the Australia squad is actually better off playing in Iraq than they are in Sydney, and not just because of the reduced risk of racial violence flaring up

The Asian Champions League was nuts for this poo poo when Australian club sides would have to travel to Kazakhstan. Which is apparently the worst because none of the connecting flights line up, and they don't have their own aircraft like the national side.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

oldman posted:

Your point stands about travelling to Central Asia but Kazakhstan is part of UEFA not the AFC. With the high travel costs and low TV and price money, the Asian Champions League is a total money pit.

gently caress, I'm the idiot that confused Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love the idea of getting rid of offsides.

Because football without offsides was really dumb, and people think "man, that sounds good!"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder what the process is if Qatar can't host it.

I thought they had a backup country ready to go, ie: a major european country with the requisite football infrastructure, but lol, who knows.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ninpo posted:

*Foghorn Leghorn voice*

Ahmad Ah say Ahmadding up these bribes son and they're just too small

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly don't see why letting a chinese team play in the equivalent of the Conference South (if that) is even that big of a deal?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ka0 posted:

I didn't know Chuck Blazer was dead. Wikipedia says he died of rear end cancer.

What about his cats are they still in their own apartment

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno, a champions league and premier league without both Manchester clubs sounds kinda cool and good to be honest

And honestly who would miss PSG I mean seriously.

edit: So we're clear this idea is stupid and poo poo and I hate it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Edward Mass posted:

I think you will find the World Invitational Tournament is a proud sporting tradition as old as soccer itself.

We joke but.... I would sooner have this then the 64 Team tournament or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Grimson posted:

its really funny how we got the 2034 mens world cup on lock while we still dont know which country is gonna host the next womens world cup in 2027

Australia again.