Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Kurtofan posted:

Qatar really wants to become the sport's center of the world for some silly reason.

It's not like they can attract investment or tourist dollars by having any homegrown attractions or culture.

Honestly I have a feeling that the Russian World Cup is going to be such a corrupt and unfriendly affair that the federations might feel a bit more bold about being public with their criticisms by the time that wraps up in 2018.

I hope the Australian FA follows through with their threatened lawsuit over FIFA switching the dates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Guys, the new law is MUCH better. Now the migrant workers get to carry around a photocopy of their passport.

See!? Much better.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Jose posted:

I'm surprised China haven't had one yet but I suppose they'll throw all the money at it next time

I suspect they're waiting until they can get their national team into a somewhat respectable state and regularly qualify.

Unlike Qatar there would be significant local pushback if they just started handing out citizenship for sport purposes.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Top one Qatar, bottom Russia?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

oldman posted:

Might be old "the domestic league gets crap attendance, so they must not like the sport" excuse. Though CSL attendance has been rising if I remember.

The TV contracts, viewers, and merchandise sales in Asia of the European leagues (particularly the EPL) are astoundingly high, the local leagues lag a good deal behind in most fans' consciousness. Also, the Chinese national team is average at best. It's my understanding they're doing quite a bit of work and investing quite a bit of money to increase the national team's quality to at least be competitive with the other Asian powers (Japan, South Korea, and Australia).

Incidentally, if China ever does start qualifying readily for the finals expect to see an even larger call from the Middle East to get their own league. Especially if Australia stays in the Asian federation. Personally I'd be all for the Middle East getting a league if FIFA also requires that Israel be in it.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

This was a story I read back when they had the final teams qualify for 2014, there was an interview with someone in FIFA that if the AFC wasn't expanded then the middle east would seek their own confederation. What I took was, give us a better chance to qualify our rented players or we start spending our money elsewhere.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

JFairfax posted:

4k illegal internet streams ftw bring on 2022

You know drat well FIFA will spend millions to shut down one illegal online stream before they spend a cent in workers' conditions.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

oldman posted:

Well, at least this should make certain that the 2023 Asian Cup won't be held in the Middle East or Australia. :)

I hope the 2021 confed cup is held in Australia and they rub FIFA's faces in it the whole time.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'd not be against the USA having a world cup again. I'm assuming they can't gently caress it up worse than '94, of course, but I suppose anything's possible.

How was it a fuckup? Not enough civil unrest?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

FullLeatherJacket posted:

What if America had the Women's World Cup, and they just held it every year and did a monster truck rally at half-time?

That way Americans could use all of their terrible concrete garbage stadia and the rest of the world could do all of the useful adult things that Americans don't qualify for.

Flagrant public corruption?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

vyelkin posted:

lol just lol if you don't think America has flagrant public corruption

Ya if only America could be as pure as those shining European beacons of transparency like FIFA and the IOC. Or Russia and Qatar.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Redczar posted:

Sepp is worried Russia will do a racism

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31688474

Racism>dying Nepalese

Sepp shouldn't worry, the homophobia should drown it out.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

vyelkin posted:

lol

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32040304

England could consider 2026 World Cup bid - Greg Dyke

They're more than welcome to consider it, probably shouldn't waste money on a bid. Once a continent hosts that continent can't host the next two world cups. Europe won't be able to host a world cup until 2030.

And they wasted it on Russia.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

chaoslord posted:

I mean all the world cups were in Summer but then Qatar will happen so if they throw enough money at it who knows what will happen

England (and most of the west) will never be able to bribe like countries with less democracy and press freedom.

That said, maybe JK Rowling will suddenly decide she wants England to get a World Cup and takes it upon herself to bribe the poo poo out of FIFA.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Shoren posted:

Feeling a little self-loathing today?

In other relevant news, according to Jeffrey Webb regarding Russia: "We can't have a World Cup there under the current conditions." Just remember racism is bad, but fraud, lying, and bribery is good.

God loving damnit, we all knew this was a thing back when you voted for it but now they get to pretend to care and point to whatever token solution the Russians invent as progress.

gently caress FIFA

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Why doesn't any news org ever ask the obvious? Kazakhstan can't host until 2034, no one in Asia can.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

There's no evidence that the FBI is planning to ask for extradition, Blatter is clearly posturing to put pressure on the US FA (who wants the 2026 World Cup) to talk to the FBI and get them to back off.

Frankly, I think Gulati is probably so fed up with FIFA that it won't work, but then again I don't benefit from the millions in bribes nor am I campaigning to get awarded a World Cup.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

I'm so torn. On the one hand, this is just about the best outcome I hoped for in my deepest darkest fantasies.

On the other hand, they don't seem inclined to go after anyone other than North Americans so I feel like any positive long-term effects are going to be limited.

Oh, and the US is never ever getting the World Cup again. Course that was probably the case anyway, it's my sense that the western countries are finally getting fed up with bidding for the global sporting events and are happy to let the corrupt poo poo heaps of the world get it for as long as they're willing/stupid enough to pony up the dough/bribes.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

God drat. It's been too long since the US has been unequivocally the good guys in world affairs.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

CubanMissile posted:

All they had to do was not award the World Cup to the most obvious bribe country possible and these assholes could have made a killing for eons to come.

The best best case scenario for me is if FIFA winds up taking the World Cup away from Qatar and Qatar decides to spill the beans and take down the entire ExCo. At this point it seems like the US probably has dirt on each and every one of them but doesn't feel confident charging anyone but those with the most contacts actually in the US.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Honest Question:

So the Swiss Government has told FIFA's local workers (Swiss citizens, office drones?) they are not to leave the country and we all know they're doing an investigation into the 2018/22 bidding process.

Here's the question. So Switzerland will never under any circumstances divulge the details or contents of a Swiss bank account to another country, but are THEY allowed to look into them? I'd imagine the answer is yes because otherwise their police are pretty toothless. On the other hand, this is still Switzerland we're talking about.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

jyrka posted:

But UEFA doesn't want to postpone it anymore.

The European FA's and their leaders are all either corrupt as hell or scared little chickenshits about going against FIFA publicly. Or both.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Every country that has ever been to a world cup could vote against Blatter and he would still win.

FIFA isn't going to improve until you take power away from the tiny countries, and they aren't about to vote away their power and source of bribes.

This is the primary reason everyone should be paying more attention to the Swiss investigation rather than the US DOJ's. America just doesn't have the jurisdiction to go after the lovely corrupt African or Asian countries (they don't meet in the US first of all, and most funnel money through non-American banks). Switzerland on the other hand could potentially uncover all of those connections.

Otherwise the only the problem of the small corruptable countries gets fixed is if the big federations break off and form their own organization. Maybe that's possible if the US DOJ can really get to the top but I doubt it. The only way FIFA is part of a future where the lovely countries aren't voting is if the Swiss investigation blows the whole thing wide open.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

stickyfngrdboy posted:

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Says the man who couldn't wouldn't understand how RICO worked for 5 pages.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

PerpetualSelf posted:

That is a horrible idea and will only ensure that smaller nations can't develop football.

Sepp Blatter's account discovered.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

I see the brave delegates of UEFA caved on their threat of boycotting the vote. Shocking.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Tigey posted:

Ooh he mixed up PRC and Taiwan. Chinese gonna be pissed

Nothing that can't be fixed with a handshake.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

triple sulk posted:

this would own

Too bad it will never happen. Platini says this, but when push comes to shove the FAs will puss out.

So will Platini for that matter.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 29, 2015

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Oh we can host it on short notice. We have the facilities -- they don't have to be "soccer specific stadiums." Are we deserving? Not really, no. I don't think we'd be an ideal host either.

By this standard (soccer specific stadiums that are within "relatively" short distance to each other) there's only about 10 or so countries able to host world cups without pulling a Brazil and going billions into debt.

Of course according to Euro goons this is the point.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

oliwan posted:

I think the racism and homophobia is better in Russia tbh.

You're an idiot.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

I can't decide if Jack Warner is helpful to the DOJ's case or incredibly harmful.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

Well no that wasn't the only thing wrong. There was the whole everything they were going to do to mitigate the heat, like air conditioning open-air stadiums and creating artificial clouds, which were basically hilarious pipe dreams that they made up. You want to mitigate the summer heat? Build a loving retractable roof and wheel the grass inside. There are number of stadiums that already do this.

This is what never made sense to me about their move to the Winter.

Indoor stadiums with grass are not at all a new technology and with all the money they're wasting on everything else an indoor air conditioned stadium isn't some crazy untried theory.

gently caress, the city hosting the opening and final games in Qatar, Lusail, doesn't even exist yet. They not only need to build a brand new 85,000 seat stadium (which is NEVER getting filled again), they have to build a city to put it in first.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

MikeJF posted:

We pitched for it, we could do it easily. We've got more than enough large capacity stadiums and infrastructure. It comes up sometimes.

The other thing that no one mentions is that because Australia is in the Asian Confederation now, if Qatar actually does wind up hosting Australia won't be able to bid for the next two world cups that follow while USA/Canada/Mexico/S. America will still be able to bid for 2026 (assuming anyone still wants to play FIFA's corruption roulette at that point).

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Why should I stop posting my opinion on FIFA in the FIFA thread? Shouldn't you be in the debate disco wringing your hands about first world problems?

Because your opinion (by your own admission) is based on willful ignorance.

Put another way, no one can stop you from posting your opinion, but you shouldn't act so personally affronted when everyone points out how wrong you are.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Pick posted:

Yeah, that's basically what RICO is.

Not exactly. To qualify under RICO the government has to prove the person:

"through a pattern of racketeering activity or through collection of an unlawful debt to acquire or maintain, directly or indirectly, any interest in or control of any enterprise which is engaged in, or the activities of which affect, interstate or foreign commerce."
18 U.S.C. section 1962(b).

When they refer to "activities" they refer to crimes listed in section 1961. Basically, if you are the boss of someone who is convicted of a qualifying crime in 1961 you are guilty under RICO.

Basically for Sepp to be found guilty they will need to prove that: one of the people charged is guilty and they acted directly in accordance with FIFA directions/or alternatively that the organization knew of those activities.

So unless those charged have no interest in protecting themselves and don't testify against Sepp by saying that he at least knew of those activities (even if he didn't actively facilitate them) Sepp is going down.

*Of course, that assumes that Sepp actually DID know about those activities, which really can't be proven until the other guys go to trial or plead out.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 1, 2015

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Surprised no one linked the FIFA scandal movie that Ben Affleck and Matt Damon just bought the rights to: http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/ben-affleck-and-matt-damon-are-making-a-movie-about-the-fifa-scandal

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

It'll be entertaining but not much use against other defendants. He's a completely untrustworthy witness that a jury will have a hard time believing.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

It's almost certain that if the sponsors are linked at all they will sing like birds to the US DOJ in exchange for immunity rather than get sucked into a proceeding of their own. Hell the FBI would probably be jumping over themselves to give them immunity, the sponsors would have the best evidence of any corruption and conveniently located in the United States already.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Barn door, horse, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Note who he gave the interview to. His immunity is called "never going to a country that extradites to America ever again."

That includes Switzerland at this point.