Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Suing FIFA seems like a good way to never get awarded a world cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Russia must be so pleased that a worse country bribed FIFA at the same time as they did

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Scotland have been boycotting World Cups for ages it doesn't make any difference

Blue Star Error fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 26, 2013

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

euroboy posted:

Wenger thinks having the world cup in the winter is good idea for the security of the supporters. Have to say I haven't thought of the security aspect of it tbh. Another reason why giving it to Qatar just gets more and more bizarre.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-winter-world-cup-reasonable

Looks like the Qataris got to Wenger, wonder what they gave him

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Dravs posted:

Also, does anyone know why Platini has such a massive boner for hating the English league? It's like he goes out of his way to insult the UK and the FA any way he can.

He's French

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Spokesman for black people everywhere Yaya Toure says that black players might boycott Russia 2018. Thats going to hit African teams hard, and mildly improve the USMNT.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Platini wants a 40 team world cup and Blatter wants less European places

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Thats Nepalling

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

So that's nearly 1000 people in two years and there's another 8 years to go

Nearly 1000 people from the 38% of workers that are from Nepal and India. The actual figure is going to be a lot higher

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

Official figures confirmed by the Indian embassy in Doha reveal that 237 Indians working in Qatar died in 2012 and 241 in 2013. A further 24 Indians have died in January 2014.

These come after the Guardian revealed last month that 185 Nepalese workers had died in Qatar in 2013, taking the total from that country to at least 382 over two years.

The figures from the Indian embassy show that 233 Indian migrants died in 2010 and 239 in 2011, taking the total over four years to 974. Since the World Cup was awarded to Qatar in December 2010, there have been 717 recorded Indian deaths.

There are an estimated 1.2 million migrant workers in Qatar. Those from India make up 22% of the total, with a similar proportion from Pakistan. Around 16% are from Nepal, 13% from Iran, 11% from the Philippines, 8% from Egypt and 8% from Sri Lanka.

Assuming that the 717 Indian deaths since 2010 are a reasonable metric and Indians aren't just uniquely clumsy and accident prone, then you're looking at over 3000 slave deaths since the World Cup was awarded to Qatar.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

corpuscollossus posted:

More of a Catch 22. My employer is extorting me under the threat of deportation to work at half the market wage while I slowly bleed to bankruptcy with rising rent and school fees. Salaries are paid in bits and pieces. I can either head home with nothing or hope that the law changes and step into a job that pays more than double. I should probably just cut my losses.

Have you considered leading a slave uprising?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

You have my backing 100% I'll retweet whatever you need

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

You're all being a bit melodramatic about this, presumably corpus is white so nothing bad will happen

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I don't get it - can they take the 2022 WC away? Can we reschedule it or move it or give it to England to host or something reasonable? Or will it be in the middle of the desert in the middle of the summer gently caress the players and gently caress the fans?

Can they do it? Yes. Will they do it? Of course not.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

The Chinese love a bit of snooker

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Peanut President posted:

Well it depends, are we allowed to start our two strikers, Fat Man and Little Boy?

Yes you can start Jozy and Adu

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Iceland/Costa Rica 2026 then?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Chuck Blazer is a preposterous name I don't believe he's real

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28357058

quote:

Football Association chairman Greg Dyke will on Tuesday face questions from MPs over the awarding of hosting rights for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Members of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee will ask if Dyke would support the Crown Prosecution Service bringing a case against Fifa.

The organisation is in the spotlight over allegations of corruption in the bidding process for both tournaments.

The role of Fifa president Sepp Blatter is likely to be scrutinised too.

Following a series of financial and voting scandals football's world governing body has undergone a period of reform over the past three years.

Mr Blatter declared last month that the reform period was over and had been successfully introduced.

However, it is believed MPs will ask Dyke if the FA should withdraw from Fifa if further reform is not forthcoming.

Two Sunday Times journalists, Heidi Blake and Jonathan Calvert, are also due to give evidence to the committee.

Their appearance comes after their paper reported on leaked documents it obtained which they allege provide proof the disgraced Qatari football official Mohamed Bin Hammam made payments totalling US$5m (£3m) to football officials in return for their support for the Qatar bid.

Qatar 2022 vehemently deny any wrong-doing but with Tuesday's hearing subject to Parliamentary privilege - a long-standing right designed to protect MPs and witnesses from libel action - the committee could hear further allegations relating to the newspaper's inquiry.

Its going to be live on BBC Parliament at half 10

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For those of you who are, like me, gay enough to want to watch this thing: here is the stream

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Live coverage has moved off BBC Parliament and onto here.

So far its a waste of time, Greg Dyke is a retard, its no wonder the FA are such pushovers with him in charge.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Someone leak it ffs, I refuse to believe a FIFA report is more locked down than confidential US diplomatic cables and celebrity titty pics.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

It looks like the UK government are going to instruct the SFA to start criminal proceedings.

This will most likely get the FA banned from Fifa events due to governmental influences.

Good.

I reckon if you asked the English public whether they'd rather see England's best lawyers going after FIFA or England's best footballers dicking about for the national team, they'd choose the first option.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Mark my words this is the start of Football War II

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

I'm sure Coke's ethics division will get right on that once they've finished murdering all the union leaders

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

tbp posted:

they never face any reprecussions from any actions. it's ludicrous. why operate any differently? i have 0% expectation anything will come from current furor, and most of the ppl pocketing the money now probably plan to be dead by qatar so they won't even bother with the yelling that'll start up around then. and whoever is in charge at that time will reap the monetary reward bc we'll all watch it and the sponsors will be there and whatever lol

People will watch it on telly but gently caress all fans are going to want to actually go to Qatar, they'll have to hire North Koreans to fill the stands

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

We're all saying nothing will happen to fifa, but from the almost world wide laughter at this so called ethics report I actually think something may be done. If only to make it so Blatter cant step foot in any country that has an extradition treaty with the US to face his inevitable trial there.

Nothing will happen until major European nations (and England) tell FIFA to git tae gently caress

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Hegay posted:

It's loving retarded that a bunch of small islands no one cares about has as much power as UEFA.

but we invented the sport!

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Germany warns Uefa may quit Fifa if World Cup report not published

YES YES YES

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

You'd probably want Australia instead of USA really

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Money isn't everything

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Pook Good Mook posted:

You'd rather have a team that has only gotten out of the group stage once and has actually qualified for half as many world cups as the USA?

I mean poo poo if you just hate the United States I can't help you out but I have a hard time seeing why you'd want to pull Australia in instead of the US in our pretend replacement FIFA.

But if you could get Australia, Japan, and South Korea the Asian Federation would be pretty much dead in the water competition-wise.

Australia have more potential imo, they are proven winners in other sports

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Rugby league, rugby union, rugby sevens, aussie rules, test cricket, twenty20 the list goes on and on

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Daduzi posted:

Same reason China will inevitably win the World Cup.

Wait, no, it totally doesn't work like that.

Also I believe the USA have won things in other sports too.

Also, also, this is a really dumb argument.

What team sports have China or USA ever won?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

atomic gog posted:

The US have won 9 world cups: 5 in basketball and 4 in baseball.

This is like Japan winning at sumo though, or India at kabaddi.

American culture is too individualistic to ever succeed at team sports, unlike Australia where the harsh environment means they learn to love and rely on their fellow man at a very early age.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo, holy gently caress.

I do, you're just jealous of Australia

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

One vote per World Cup or World War won seems fair

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Gigi Galli posted:

They're literally the North Koreans.

I said this would happen months ago someone give me a medal

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Quasimango posted:

You know, generally the only reason things are redacted is for national security reasons or to protect the identity of victims. Has FIFA even bothered to make a bullshit excuse for redacting this, other than the unspoken 'We want to save our own skins.'

Its not even unspoken, thats literally their reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

I decided to have a look back at the thread for the day all this bollocks was decided, Russia reaction starts here, Qatar here.

quote:

How to win a world cup bid.

Not be a broke rear end nation with no money, massive deficits and a government that is at the mercy of it's banks.

Qatar and Russia were by far and away the best bids on the table because of all the promises made, they actually have the money and the economies to get it done and adapt to any extra parameters.

The rest will prolly still be begging off the IMF come 2018 and 2022 repsectively.

quote:

I don't see Russia asking for handouts from the IMF or neighbouring countries right now, do you?

I fail to see where Russia, supplier of most of europes energy resources currently, is going to become financially insolvent compared to the eurozone by 2018...

Ah the wisdom of Outrespective

Blue Star Error fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 20, 2014