Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

I wonder how much money I would need to convince FIFA to host an entire World Cup just in the city of Leeds. Various parks and 5 a side pitches around the city for the group games, Elland Road for the final. Is there some sort of bribe chart available for reference

Lookit this noob who doesn't know the real money is in construction kickbacks. When will Antarctica host a tournament? I have a plan to build hotels, airports, stadia and roads, who wants some action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

quote:

At least one bank in the Cayman Islands initially refused to process the payment amid fears over the legality of the money transfer. The money was eventually processed via a bank in New York – a transaction that is understood to have come to the attention of the FBI. A well-placed source said: “These payments need to be properly investigated. The World Cup is the most important event in football and we need to be confident that decisions have been made for the right reasons. There are lots of questions that still need to be answered.”

hahaha when your money is too dirty for even the cayman islands... ffs

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

quote:

The unofficial reason that Qatar alighted upon PSG lies in the already close links between the two countries and a much-discussed lunch between the then French president, Nicolas Sarkozy, Uefa's president Michel Platini and Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani, who has since succeeded his father, Hamad, as the Qatar's emir.

Platini has admitted that Sarkozy wanted the Qataris to buy PSG and secure his vote – and with it his influence in the looming World Cup vote over other members of the European bloc – but denies he was influenced by him. The Uefa president's son, Laurent, was subsequently offered the job as chief executive of Burrda, the QSI-owned sports clothing company, which Platini Snr says is completely unconnected to him voting for Qatar.

Sarkozy later became a passionate advocate of the Qatar World Cup and was one of the first to lobby for the football calendar to be changed to allow it to take place in winter rather than the searing summer heat.

"I totally swear that giving my son a job and having my president as a paid lackey had nothing to do with my otherwise completely inexplicable decision."

from: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/03/psg-world-cup-football-tv-rights-qatar

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Or when Bavaria put orange lederhosen in cases of beer in the Netherlands and then all the people who tried to wear them to the matches in Germany 06 had their clothes confiscated.

Ed: and weren't some models arrested in South Africa for all wearing orange dresses and sitting in the front row or something?

greazeball fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 19, 2014

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Just move the winter Olympics to summer jeez how hard can it be

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

White Noise Marine posted:

Can I get a link to the article with the Garcia quote.

only on twitter and the guardian's live blog so far: http://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2014/nov/13/fifa-world-cup-ethics-committee-report-2018-2022-live-reaction

Actually the story just went up: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/13/farce-fifa-michael-garcia-erroneous-ethics-report

greazeball fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 13, 2014

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Jose posted:

I agree with Marina Hyde, we should invade Switzerland

At least wait until after the state prosecution! We're the only ones whose authority they've submitted to.

Not that I really have any hope but give us a chance first.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Figo's unveiled his election strategy: Let's have a world cup with 48 teams!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

This is the best push notification I've ever got on my phone

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

https://vine.co/v/ehFYdqTv0rH

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

It'll be entertaining but not much use against other defendants. He's a completely untrustworthy witness that a jury will have a hard time believing.

I would be OK with him just rotting in jail for the rest of his days. They've got plenty of evidence on everyone else without his hyperbole I'm sure.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I too hope he dies

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

They did expose a cat loving santa lookalike

and killed him

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Also the Olympics is set smack in the late season push of the premier league. The world cup is in the off season for most leagues.

usually it is, anyway

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

They did, lol

'migrant workers from Africa and India with free tickets were being transported in to bolster crowds'

then attendances went down and organisers blamed the start of the "working" week

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

can't wait for my fifa corona email blast

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

poo poo's slowly dragging on for ol Sepp and FIFA in Switzerland: https://apnews.com/article/international-soccer-zurich-sports-europe-sepp-blatter-soccer-f682a9d6f83823d3dcb6bdc272970888

The latest is FIFA suing him for the hosed up deal he arranged with an insurance company to renovate their property for the football museum in Zurich and also pay them above market rent until 2045. Renovtion and rent add up to about $500m, plus the thing operates at a ridiculous loss and there was a $50m write off in 2016.

The new lawsuit is being handled in Zurich's courts, he's still involved in two in the federal courts for payments to Platini and Warner. The Swiss federal prosecutor had to resign after "forgetting" what he talked about in unreported meetings with Infantino, so none of this will ever end.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

So their own investigations found that these two took CHF23-30 million and they fined them one million. That'll teach 'em!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

freeedr posted:

SUPER LEAGUE

I am hype for all of today's action! Overall pretty good knockout results yesterday, now it's time for the semifinals

whoops wrong thread I guess

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Remember when FIFA made a movie?

They've not renewed EA Sports' license and starting in 2023 the FIFA video game will be made by FIFA.

quote:

In its own statement later on Tuesday, FIFA said it would be launching new soccer video games developed with third-party studios and publishers. Several non-simulation games were already in production and will launch in the third quarter of this year, FIFA added.

"I can assure you that the only authentic, real game that has the FIFA name will be the best one available for gamers and football fans," FIFA president Gianni Infantino said. "The FIFA name is the only global, original title. FIFA 23, FIFA 24, FIFA 25 and FIFA 26, and so on -- the constant is the FIFA name and it will remain forever and remain THE BEST."

Several non-simulation games are already in production! I'm sure it's gonna be great, and I'm sure we're gonna love EA Sports FC.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/4662729/fifaea-sports-to-end-video-game-partnership-game-to-continue-under-new-name

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

Presumably EA won't be able to put the world cup in their game but could they strike separate deals with entities like UEFA etc and still have all of the things like the Champions League and so forth? What does losing the FIFA license actually mean for them (besides the hilarious spectacle of FIFA trying to make their own)?

It's a good point, maybe EA did look at what FIFA were asking and decided they don't really need them. Thanks for the link in the other thread, btw. Didn't they already have to negotiate with all the individual leagues for their rights anyway? I remember ProEv got exclusive rights to Juventus one year so they were Turin FC or something in FIFA.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It'll be a VR "Go to McDonald's and buy a Coke with some player you might remember"

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

that's hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Asking for a friend, what's the best way to boycott the world cup and still watch the matches? Stream it? Is there any meaningful action that FIFA, sponsors or broadcasters would notice?