Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Money
Will they give us a shitload? -- No -- No -- No -- No -- No -- YES -- YES -- No -- No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

So this is how football ends, not with a bang but with a board room.

I would argue that if they all mutually annihilate each other (as vyelkin so put it), football would actually be miraculously brought back to life.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

lol "The World Cup is really important!" is the best excuse

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's come to rooting for Wikileaks hasn't it?

It is kinda ludicrous that tens of thousands of secret government documents can be leaked but FIFA can somehow prevent the release of one.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Touche.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Thats the version of the report with all the names and anything incriminating redacted isnt it.

The :airquote: appropriate :airquote: form

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Peanut President posted:

the IFAF, International Federation of American Football, also has a world championship and the next one is this very year! It was supposed to be held in Stockholm (as in, Sweden), but they canceled so it's in Ohio instead. Qualified teams are: Sweden, Germany, Austria, France, USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, South Korea, Japan, Australia, & Morocco. Most of those teams were okay with the venue change but Sweden, Germany, Austria, and Morocco haven't said if they'll play yet.

edit: I know you were joking but I'm very serious about sports. (Also America always wins by like 50 points, england could learn a lesson here)

I thought this was a joke post but holy poo poo this actually exists :stare:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Blue Star Error posted:

Not that it makes much of a difference to your point but Kazakhstan are laughably enough, in UEFA.

Doesn't this still only allow them 2030 at the earliest? (edit; lol at post above me)

Not that a few lousy rules have ever stood in the way of bribes.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

lol "It is a disgrace that some countries in this world let their journalists act like journalists."

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Saw on Twitter that a traumatized Sepp Blatter is now carrying a mattress around everywhere he goes

lol

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

El Hefe posted:

Blatter to Florida State prison on a ten year contract for €150m please make it happen :pray:

I read something on goal.com that said Scott Peterson was lobbying him to come to San Quentin

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

What's that real bad super max prison, send him to that one

Gitmo?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Man, the last week has sure been a hell of a ride.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Healbot posted:

Russia hosting a World Cup is almost as bad as Qatar. Can't wait for the tidal wave of bananas thrown on the pitch whenever African teams or Wales play.

From a purely footballing perspective it at least makes some sense since they've actually been in World Cups before.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Waroduce posted:

If it happens during fall/winter like in the middle of the nfl season not many people will watch it

Also mls is utter poo poo, and is a pain to watch. Its barely a step above high school soccer.

Idk how the PL and real leagues will deal with the wc

tbf NFL games happen literally one day a week with a token game on mondays and thursdays

edit; that said, the final and a few knockouts would get upstaged so yeah, gently caress fall/winter WCs

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

It's Platini's time

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

lol the amount of stupid serious posting by people who have never posted in TRP before this thread is staggering

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

the glow posted:

England has plenty of water fyi. Just saying

do you have sandy beaches

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Goetta posted:

I would say England should get the WC but I am admittedly unaware of how the water table is looking there these days compared to historical norms so I retract my suggestion for now.

I hear Texas has a lot of water these days

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Sorry for discussing the biggest news in sports :shobon:

how dare you

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

It would be funny if they uncovered the obvious bribe adidas paid fifa to give the golden ball to one of their sponsored players in Brazil.

Wesley Sneijder will finally get his justice for not winning the Ballon in 2010

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Hegay posted:

Shame it can't hold more people, that's a crushing blow

boom headshot

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

none of the big stadiums are in the bumfuck prairies. they're mostly in the south.

if you're being expansive with your definition of prairie, there's five above 40k:

Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City -- which hosted WC match in 1994 iirc)
Kansas Memorial Stadium
Bill Snyder Family Stadium (Kansas State)
Gaylord Stadium (Oklahoma)
Boone Pickens Stadium (Oklahoma State)
Memorial Stadium (Nebraska)

You could also include Iowa and Iowa State's stadiums.

lol no one cares

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

Force Russia to play all their prelims there

e. round-robins, w/e

I like this

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Oakland Coliseum is one of the worst stadiums in the nation. The locker rooms routinely back up with sewage.

So you're saying it has great water metrics?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Attendance, ATTENDANCE, LOOK AT OUR ATTENDANCE!!!!!!

Won't someone think of the average attendances to our world cup that involved thousand mile trips to see more than one game.

You Brits will never understand how big of a fan boner you get paying $600 to fly 3000 miles to watch your team lose on rainy Tuesday

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This really isn't a big deal to Americans, admittedly.

I hear tell that not every team that plays in a WC is American though, in fact, I think the majority aren't. Not sure though, let me check the googles and get back to you

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite films

same OP

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Also Russia just cut like $500m from their WC budget

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/06/russia-cuts-2018-world-cup-budget-560m-150622100858799.html

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

I wasn't there to see it, but I hear Michel Platini started sobbing like a little girl when they took him away.

Blatter had no intention of going that quietly.

Get busy bribin' or get busy dyin'. That's god drat right.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Haha

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Waroduce posted:

Are they really going to interrupt the club schedule and all that poo poo to hold the world cup in December? Like....I just dont understand the logistics.

Do it anywhere in Europe or America. The US or UK could take it no problem.

I don't think anyone in FIFA is blind to the fact that there are various other countries around the world who are better equipped to handle a World Cup, but I also don't think they care. As long as they're making money, they'll do whatever they want with the competitions they oversee, and no amount of outcry from fans is going to change that. Player outcry maybe, but I doubt any players worth a drat would speak up against FIFA anyway.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Shoren posted:

I disagree because I expect to see a lot more dirty laundry being aired out regarding Qatar in the next couple months. The first thing the next FIFA president (assuming it's not Blatter again) is going to do is distance himself from the previous regime and call for a re-vote for the 2022 World Cup. I don't doubt there will still be shady deals made for large cash payments when the dust settles, but it'll be done with more discretion. Everything about the Qatar vote screams corruption and it's amazing it took so long for anything to happen to FIFA.

I guess I'm just pessimistic, but it's hard for me to expect a change in President will somehow overhaul an organization that has been corrupt probably longer than I've been alive.

That said, the one thing that could really get FIFA to switch things up would be if a ton of major advertisers start pulling the plug, and I can definitely see that happening should things continue to get worse and worse (which I suspect it will).

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Simplex posted:

You know what is kind of awkward? FIFA likes to promote this image of the World Cup being the largest party in the world. You have the big fan zones, an the open festival atmosphere, crowds of people everywhere watching soccer, even if they are not in the stadiums. How in the hell are they going to accomplish this in Qatar?

FIFA literally made Brazil suspend their law forbidding alcohol consumption in football stadiums so I'm sure they'll work something out.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I think USA and FOX would be against that because then we'd have no more commentators.

They'd have to keep Joe Buck away for sure, he'd never make it out alive.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

chuggo is BACK posted:

Joao Havelange has died aged 100

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/765532269750747136?lang=en

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Can you imagine the travel? Canada playing away to Chile or Argentina and then flying back to play at home 3 days later? That's farther than London to Johannesburg and back.

There's no way we combine with CONMEBOL.

Worth noting that Canada to Chile is a shorter distance than Australia to Iraq, which is a thing that is literally happening now in the WC 2018 qualifiers.

Not saying it wouldn't be dumb but don't think travel distances are going to deter FIFA from doing something insane.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 12, 2017

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

vyelkin posted:

This is pretty great though imo 5 seconds was too short

Yeah you basically only have time to get to the top of the box before you have to shoot

Was kinda surprised no one in that vid just lobbed the keepers, seeing as they came rushing out immediately every time

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

It's Oceania's turn, give us that Fiji WC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

There are also instances where teams themselves have some exclusive use of their rights outside of whatever their FA has control over. FIFA 23 is missing a few Italian teams (Roma and Napoli, for example); instead, they're replaced by generic names like Naples FC which have all the Napoli players and colors but a different logo and generic stadium.

Basically, poo poo's complicated. But good luck to FIFA on their basically International-only football simulator, I guess.