Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

My custom dark theme looks like it got blown away. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

I just had an interesting experience on the market version of the app:

I caught up on the last 4 or so pages of a fast moving thread. When I got to the end of the last page, I pulled to refresh to check for more posts. For whatever reason, the app kept sending me to the middle of the page's old posts, but they were still colored as though unread. The posts at the top were properly colored as read.

Eventually I scrolled to the last post and manually marked it as last read, and hopped back over to my bookmarks. When that loaded, I saw that the thread I was just in had -20 unread posts. When the bookmarks page reloaded, everything was fine again.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Do either of you have posts-per-page set to anything other than 40 on either app or forums?

Not me.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

A couple things about the market version of Awful:
1. Immersive mode is amazing :coolfish:
2. I keep triggering menus when trying to swipe up or down to exit immersive mode. Can menus be suppressed if the result of the touch is exiting immersive mode?
3. I'm in a thread, and swipe up from the bottom to get access to the home button. This triggers the jump to page pop-up. I hit home to exit the app. I click the bookmarks shortcut to launch the app later and I get the bookmarks page properly, but the jump to page pop-up is on top of everything.
4. Bolding letters in the middle of words seems to have a space inserted when viewing in the app. On a browser, it looks as expected. Example: goldeen

Market Awful on stock unrooted Kit Kat Moto X.

Edit: and now there is no space. Wtf.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Is this also fixed?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

When I click a link in a post that goes to another thread, what's the way to get back to the post that contained the link?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

LastInLine posted:

The Back button doesn't do this?

Looks like it does, but I need to get out of immersion mode for it to show up first apparently. Swiping left to right takes me back to bookmarks rather than the previous thread.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

CHiRAL posted:

I had ABP (and it was off, I also killed the process a few days ago) but uninstalling it didn't help

Just throwing this out there, but you mentioned you hadn't used Awful for a really long time. Are you still running Ferg's original app?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Shanakin posted:

I stared at that page so many times trying to find it and apparently I'm just blind. Thanks.

I had to look twice even when following the instructions. :shobon:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Did we lose the popup to display images as inline? I have images turned off when not on wi-fi, and when clicking the links today I got the brower opening automatically instead of the popup we had before.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

I'm using the current market version of the app and I've found that I can't click the link on a quote to jump to the person's quoted post. Is anyone else noticing this?

Stock unrooted Moto X, FWIW.

Edit: And now it works. Nevermind.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 9, 2014

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Sereri posted:

If you're hiding previous post it can't jump to a hidden post on the same page. I patched it in the last version but for some reason it still only works some of the time. Goddamn webview.

I wasn't. My best explanation is missing the link with big dumb sausage fingers or something.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

hooah posted:

There's an option somewhere that will let you decide what to do when you tap on links.

It took me forever to find the option. Here it is:
Settings->Posts->Always Open Links->Uncheck
It threw me when I couldn't find it in the Images section.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

How do I reset the pop-up we get when clicking images? I accidentally double tapped and now images I click are automatically opening in a browser instead of prompting me for what to do.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Sereri posted:

Wrong thread, it's settings -> posts -> Always open (all the way down)

Thanks!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Can anything be done to prevent exiting immersive mode when activating the drop-down menu on the thread view?

Similarly, on the post composing screen.

2012 Moto X, stock unrooted, Kit Kat.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Poetry.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Just sent in a crash report. Using the market version of the app on a stock unrooted Moto X (2013) running Kit Kat.

Clicking the read posts by user link causes an instant crash.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Wizard of Smart posted:

Just want to say I appreciate the way the menu bars on the top left morph into the arrow.
That is nice, but in my opinion: The only thing in this app that ought to spin in circles is the frog.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

notZaar posted:

I didn't know we even have search on these forums, I thought it was one of those permanent hosed features since Lowtax seemed to stop caring a few years ago.

Radium's Enemy got nuSearch up and running.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Is there a way to delete private messages through the app? I play forums mafia here and occasionally need to delete my inbox to make room for more, but couldn't do it without turning off the app as default for web browsers and deleting them through chrome.

Too many pm's going on between you and your scum buddies?
##vote The Ninth Layer

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

I'm having an issue with forum attachments.
I have the setting set to prevent displaying of images in previously read posts. This is usually fine and dandy, because for imgur stuff, for example, I can click the link that gets inserted and select "show image inline"

For forum attachments, the only options I get are to open or copy the URL. Is there a way that the app can detect a forum attachment URL and insert the "Show Image Inline" option?

An attachment for experimentation:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Here's what I see for the previously viewed attachment:

Clicking the link shows this:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

anthonypants posted:

Do you have the Settings > Images > Hide old images option turned on?

Yes, I mentioned that in the post right before that.
For other images, if I click the URL inserted for the hidden image, I'm given the option to display the hidden image inline.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

anthonypants posted:

If I turn on hide old images, then go to Bluedeanie's post, mark it read, and refresh the page, the attachment loads as an image. Your own posts are always going to be marked as read, so maybe you should give that a shot.

That's pretty similar to my current process, but that workaround is pretty annoying considering the functionality that is already baked into the app for other image hosts.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

oopsie rock posted:

I just got a hand-me-down Moto X and installed the Awful app on it. On this phone, if I swipe the app off the running apps list (which I often do) and then reopen it, the app opens up to the list of forums instead of my page of bookmarks. Is there a setting for this somewhere that I'm missing?

Bookmarks is a different shortcut. Maybe in widgets?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

oopsie rock posted:

Oh yeah! Thanks so much -- this is the kind of stuff I forget when I'm setting up a new phone.

You're welcome! I can never remember at first, either, and always have to hunt for it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Sereri posted:

He's talking about all the letters being scrambled. And yeah this happens to me too every few months, most recently like a week ago. I don't think it is Awful.apk specific as if seen my Nova launcher do the exact same thing.

Yeah, I've seen this multiple times including in my launcher, Apex. Probably your phone rather than a specific app.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Death Zebra posted:

I forgot to ask in my post last week. I have some threads bookmarked whose last post was in 2014. I don't have archives upgrade and yet I can read them. Am I meant to be able to or is this a fault with the app?

The archiving process shat the bed quite a while ago. I think threads are getting locked and added to the archives, but not removed from the live forums right now. Enjoy your free semi-archives.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Ticket opened:
Please add the ability to post new threads to awful.apk
Hardcode thread tag to BAN ME.
Thanks and god bless.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Same, stock unrooted Droid Turbo 2.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ah ok. drat, I actually loved that feature, but I think I'll be sticking with stock this time around.

Look in the widgets section. Bookmarks is in there.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh man, thanks! :toot:

Any idea why threads load up blank until I refresh (my first issue)?

No idea, but I've seen similar behavior. Typically it's when I task-switch away from the app while a thread is loaded and then jump back to it. It may have to do with the cached thread failing to load after the app was paged out of memory, but I've never looked at the code so this is just armchair theorizing.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Sereri posted:

- Fix for empty threadview when returning to the app

You're the best and I want to buy you a beer.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

logikv9 posted:

the new OLED theme is awesome but it doesn't really show if a post has been read before or not? :ohdear:

I miss this, too. And op post highlighting, though that's less necessary.

E: overall, I'm quite happy with the few minutes of use I've put in so far.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

The space is definitely present when the action button is disabled.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Toshimo posted:

I like the new grenade icon.

:same:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

lite_sleepr posted:

How do I post a new thread using the android app?

You need to activate the special mode for this. It's actually a hardware switch, you'll need to pierce your phone's battery with a screwdriver then you should be all set.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Sereri posted:

the next beta will have a watered down version of post previews.

Holy poo poo, yes. :peanut:

Nth Doctor posted:

Ticket opened:
Please add the ability to post new threads to awful.apk
Hardcode thread tag to BAN ME.
Thanks and god bless.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010