Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hey, I thought the new thread was supposed to come with a new app! I want my money back. All 0 dollars.

P.S. this app owns thank you for creating and maintaining it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I would just like to state for the record that I am extremely peeved about the removal of the spinning frog.

The update looks great though.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm having a lot of trouble with spoilers, most if the time when I tap on then they don't reveal. A lot of the time they'll flash blue momentarily (dark theme), but still not reveal. I'm trying to read a CD thread and I'm not able to see like half of it. :(

E: may only be on, my GNex, doesn't seem to be happening on my N7 yet.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 7, 2013

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

https://imgur.com/gtrVymi.png

Whenever I open the app. Something and the browser work fine. Naturally, I cannot log in.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sereri posted:

Have you tried what I described above?

My password is all alphanumeric.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

How do I make gifs animate? I can't find the setting and I feel stupid

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Advanced -> Device and navigation

Thanks. Would probably make more sense for it to be under image settings. This app is on GitHub right? I can do a PR today if that's a change people are okay with.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

JawKnee posted:

still does all the stuff I want it to :shrug:

well, like, most of the time anyhow

The simple truth is that developers do not spend time making sure everything is working on 3 year old Android versions. Because, frankly, Android was a pile of poo poo 3 years ago and it sucks to work on.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

the announcement notifications are meaningless because the notifications are meaningless. However they are totally unobtrusive so who cares lol

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The min sdk is at 21 right now (lollipop, 5.0). Depending on how the store page is set up (only sereri/baka know), old versions will still exist and be accessable all the way back to... whatever. But it'll be an old version and you'll miss out on any new development.

But really, if your hardware is running an OS that hasn't been updated in 4 years you desperately need something new.

KillHour posted:

I hate how unless you get a flagship device every couple years, you're stuck with old versions. My HTC A9 is only 2 years old and it's on 6.0

That is changing (slowly). A new system called Treble was debuted last year that drastically reduces the time and effort required for updating an OS on a device, and based on results this year it is starting to work. So the next time you buy a device, there's a significantly higher chance that you will get timely updates for a longer period. Still, software support should be a big part of your purchasing decision - if people pass on devices for not updating then carriers/manufacturers will start to put more money into making sure it happens.

bull3964 posted:

This fall Google is going to require apps that are updated to target 8.0 Oreo. That doesn't mean that they can't support a minimum API level that would accommodate much older devices, but it does mean it can get more difficult to support older versions.

Basically, think of it this way. An app that was targeted for 4.4 can keep doing things the 4.4 way even if the behavior was charged in later Android versions. That itself isn't changing. However if that app gets updated after Nov 1st, it will have to switch to the Oreo way of doing certain functionality on a device that supports Oreo (or, say, the 6.0 way of doing something if that hasn't changed between 6.0 and 8.0.)

At that point, the dev might be faced with supporting two different versions of the same functionality within the same app which can get costly. I'm not really sure if that will be the case with the Awful app, but it's something to be aware of when shopping for cheap devices on ancient Android versions.

That's not really true. It won't be any harder to support older versions than it is now, but now apps will be *required* to support functionality of newer versions of Android when applicable. For example, right now an app (like facebook) can target 21 and avoid handling granular permissions, so people can just accept literally all the permissions with one click. Come august, they will be forced to target 27. That means they will be unable to avoid handling granular permissions on devices at API 23 or greater - however devices that are lower than 23 will still work the way they always have - supporting them will not require changing anything.

Also, as baka kaba said, a big chunk of new functionality is backported via the support libraries so most of the time you can get new functionality on old versions of Android without doing custom handling. There are just a handful of exceptions with bigger features or system-level architecting - granular permissions being the most prominent example.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Would thread-specific modship allow devs to see the issue? It would also be nice for deleting posts etc for testing purposes.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Technically it's a violation of material design rules.

.... But those rules are frequently stupid as hell and contradictory, and this is one of those cases.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Is it? Not saying you're wrong, but they're pretty broad about the possibilities and they're big on reflowing layouts and animating those changes and the like. The only thing I can think of is accessibility with the button moving a bit (could fix that with a bigger touch target when it's the only button). Is there a bit that says "don't do this"? I try to follow the rules because I'm not designer :ohdear:

Yeah, it's supposed to go over the toolbar and status bar, if you follow official examples this is what you'll get. https://material.io/design/components/navigation-drawer.html

Personally I've always disagreed with it, although I've made apps following the guidelines... just because. It's especially funny to me because they have the awesome animating nav drawer button built-in but when you follow their pattern you never see it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It happens for me too on the store version. I notice it the most when the OS kills the app to free up memory.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hmmm, is there a way we could save the scroll position when the app is killed and restore it? I'm not super familiar with how the webview works though so maybe it's not possible

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Awful app is no longer updated on android versions below 5 (lollipop). Your devices are really old.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

A few months ago, I think. baka kaba can answer that better than me. I'm not saying you have to buy a new device, but supporting software that's been obsolete for 6 years is not really worth the trouble.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It's far more likely that something on the site changed that broke compatibility with the old version of the app. I'm not the person who does releases for this app, but afaik the last release for kitkat was several months ago, and unless you've been seeing the issue that long, it wasn't the app that broke. It's just really old so it's not being supported anymore because supporting 6 years of different software versions is Really Hard, especially the jump from Android 4 to 5 which was huge.

Software development is more complicated than you think it is, particularly when you have 2 separate pieces of software (the app and the site) that have to interact seamlessly. When one changes, it can break the other.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm not really, I just barge in occasionally and break things. :v:

You and Sereri do all the real work

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

site posted:

And I'm totally fine with and understand that. I just didn't think that asking to drop a line in the changelog acknowledging that to warn others would be some sort of crime against humanity :shrug:

There was nothing to put in the changelog about that, because the issue didn't come from an app update. It showed up months later from a change on the website, which the app devs have no control over, and is something that cannot be fixed on a version of Android that old. Why are you being so toxic after the reason it can't be fixed was explained?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I think it may be off by default? Settings > posts > embedding > tweets

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

YES CURES SINNERS posted:

Oh no, I made sure to toggle it first thing after I re-installed. It just randomly stopped working in a tweet-heavy thread I was reading, despite still being toggled. :shrug:

Forgive me if this has come up or is a dumb question, but could having a third party Twitter app (Flamingo, specifically) be mucking embeds up somehow?

Nah. Twitter stuff is all just html magic, other apps won't affect it. But, the html magic is outside of my wheelhouse so I can't help you further, sorry. :(

Sereri is the expert on that so maybe he'll show up and answer

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Actually, we're petitioning Lowtax to remove the thread creation feature from the desktop version as well.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Am I just on crack or are apostrophes showing up all weird as of today?

Test'ing

That post you quoted is all garbled but everything else seems fine to me.

Lots of apostrophe'd posts that are displaying just fine.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Probably the tablet. What version of Android is it?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Auto switching themes based on time of day detected by the location of your phone is cool as gently caress though.

it's a huge pain in the rear end to make too, thats why like 3 apps do it

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Why does copying a twitter URL from the app carry a bunch of poo poo metadata, but copying a twitter URL from the site doesn't?

I mean this stuff:

code:
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1093918971114467328?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1093918971114467328&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

It's for the embed I'm pretty sure, it's also how twitter knows where the source of the embed is coming from and is the cause of those rate limit errors to have it not show up sometimes. You can delete the querystring in a browser and it'll load normally.

It's from embeds in both cases. The URL loads fine either way, it's just annoying when I'm copying a link to share, either I edit it each time or send all that garbage each time.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LastInLine posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the devs tell you to gently caress off.

Reminds me waaaay back before I ever joined, I thought that it was a big inside joke that everyone talked that way. Imagine my shock when I actually made an account and realized that people were swearing! :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Seems like BNR is gonna be the most populous offshoot if nothing big changes here. It's been a while since I worked on the app, but a fork that works with that should be feasible without a total rewrite (still a ton of rewriting, to be clear). Depending on how things unfold I will probably work on something like that