Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tunga posted:

For what it's worth I think Awful (Android) looks kind of silly on the default theme. Sort of childish somehow. The blue and white gives it a kind of edutainment look. And those iOS screenshots have the same effect on me.

That's how I feel about iOS UI in general. The blues and whites feel childish and 2005 to me.

FWIW, I'm with LastInLine. I don't understand why you'd devote so much screen space to something as relatively unimportant as thread tags.

That being said, the only reason I said anything was so he didn't feel lonely, otherwise it's not important enough to me to have even brought it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spankmeister posted:

I'm having issues opening this thread in the app: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488991

The thread used to work but no more, when I open it I get the loading bars which appear, fill up and then disappear quickly, and the screen remains white.

I've cleared the apps data but it didn't help.

You won't be able to view that thread unless you're a mod or admin.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Basically, any time you have a bug you should send Sereri your device or an identical one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

OK, I think Sereri gets it. You all can stop piling on the poor guy who made this free thing for free.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

You can get the HTC Zoe app now . I don't know what it works on, but the play store says it's incompatible with my Moto X.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

XIII posted:

Wrong thread?

Wow, i'm a terrible mod.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mustache Ride posted:

That platform that had the huge security flaw when it was installed in the Starbucks app last year?

Oh okay then....

Sorry about the screenshot, fixed.

No, that's not a flaw with crashlytics, it's a flaw with the Starbucks app.

Starbucks chose to log that data in a plain text format. That doesn't have anything to do with Crashlytics other than the fact that that happened to be the logging platform Starbucks used.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 22, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

pinegala posted:

The new update is pretty spiffy but it suffers from the same bad trends that Google seems to have started and won't stop. Why is there so much white space everywhere?

This is a nerd affliction where they see space without text in it and go "but I could have words there!". This totally disregards what a century of UI design has taught us...white space improves readability.

Of course, you could make the argument that white space is misused, but that's a different complaint that no one has yet made.

New update looks great all around.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sentient Data posted:

Seriously, I work in software and know how big of a deal a complete refactoring is which it seems to be is the case here, but the new app is completely UNUSABLE on an older phone.

Works fine on a Galaxy Nexus.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

I'm using the latest version from Google play. There's a thread where only two posts show on the latest, penultimate, and third most recent pages. Also, several threads still won't show the new content that was posted to the threads.

Maybe you should share which thread it is?

Also, I'm not sure if this is an Awful-specific issue. There's an SA bug where sometimes you can't see any recent posts in a thread unless you make a post in it yourself.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sometimes when I enter a YOSPOS thread from my bookmarks the YOSPOS theme applies, and sometimes it doesn't. If I had to guess I'd say it's 50/50 applies/doesn't-apply.

edit: when I made this post it just gave me a blank view with the page indicator showing 52/51. Clicking refresh fixed it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

baka kaba posted:

Got a link to a page that does it?

I'm not positive about this, but I think it only happens on the bookmarks view. I get this happening all the time.

Of course, now that I'm trying to report on its behavior I can't make it do it, but it does it multiple times a day.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Father Wendigo posted:

Is there any way to disable the omnipresent blue quote/pencil button? It's got a deceptively big hitbox on my small phone.

Settings > Device and Navigation > Disable FABs

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Kommando posted:

is the "loading failed" message that shows up all the time a known issue?

yes

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Jehde posted:

Since the android games thread has been archived, I figured it would be best to ask here. Are their any good ports of Lemmings for android? Been having the itch lately and a smartphone seems like the best way to play it. Spirits is alright, but doesn't quite scratch the itch.

This is the thread for Awful, not general Android apps.

You want to go here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444891

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mine shows my username.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

notZaar posted:

I read GBS on this app a lot and sometimes people like to post or quote obnoxiously long posts. Would be nice if there was an easy way to collapse a post or a quote.

Thanks for posting this. I always think of it when there's an obnoxiously long post or quote and then never think to post in this thread about it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I can't even remember if I'm on the beta or not. Probably be nice to have some indication in-app of that.

Today, I entered a YOSPOS thread from my bookmarks, and it didn't get the YOSPOS theme. Then the next several threads from my bookmarks, which was not in YOSPOS, did get the YOSPOS theme. After 2 or 3 threads, it fixed itself.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why wouldn't you care about one of the most basic features of using a forum along side making posts and looking at the forum.

Because none of the many people who have volunteered their time on developing this app care about it and in fact people caring about it are pretty rare...it hardly ever gets brought up.

In the megathread-centric environment of SA, making threads seems to be pretty rare.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

site posted:

screw making new threads we gotta get dem embedded tweets!!!

I'm so jaded I thought this was a sarcastic post implying that new thread a-makin' was more important than stupid tweets.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The problem is that for some reason like 90 percent of the people who bring it up act like they're entitled and that the very idea of an app without posting is ludicrous.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Dieting Hippo posted:

you gotta admit its a little silly that an app you can post with can't make the main post. i mean its free with all work volunteered so i cant really demand anything, but it is odd.

No, I don't, because I don't think it's odd. Posting in a thread is both conceptually and technically different from creating a thread.

I mean, I get there's some percentage of people who do think it's odd, but the reason they get such pushback is because some portion of them act like it's obvious that it should be in and that everyone should think it's odd.

Would it be better if those who act entitled didn't make it harder for the more reasonable people? Sure. Is it surprising? No.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Dieting Hippo posted:

check out my new e-mail app, you can view and reply to e-mails with it.

what, you want to create an e-mail? uh just use a PC browser for that, duh.

That's not equivalent to the situation under discussion.

Regardless, it's not going to help this thread to belabor the point.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sereri posted:

Yeah. I wish you could stay at a single version like a library.

It seems pretty terrible that you can't. I mean, really, if updates can change the behavior and break things, it should definitely be able to be pinned at a certain version.

But then again, I guess you could end up with apps pinning at a version of the webview that has security issues...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I just had the app crash in me for the first time in what seems like years!

Pretty impressive compared to your average Android app.

(submitted bug report)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Willing to bet it was a giant-rear end picture what did it. That seems to be the only thing that crashes the app for me these days.

It was while I was making a post on this page: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751764&pagenumber=44

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Dave posted:

This is cute.

God drat, this is the literally the exact thing I was going to post.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

baka kaba posted:

No don't I'm painting it

I don't think painting your device is going to turn out well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Do it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The Material Frog is okay, though there's no circular asset for Pixels (the only thing that matters). It's definitely better than the really out of place old icon. That can't have looked right on anything past Jelly Bean.

On a completely different note, will it ever be possible to set up a list of subforums we'd like quicker access to? Something like, well, the Something app? I regularly switch between the two and by far the biggest pain point is having to dig into the enormous and always-collapsed forum list to check the three or four subforums I want to read.

I have to imagine most users are similar, seldom venturing beyond a few favorite subforums, but maybe I'm wrong?

I think I recall threads in the past coming to the conclusion that most users live out of their bookmarks, but I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering correctly.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Wizgot posted:

It infuriates me that you can't make threads. Justifying the absence of this feature to reduce shitposting just doesn't cut it for me. Has the developer stated at any point that this is the real reason for the lack of thread making?

This is the best post I've seen all day.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

JawKnee posted:

still does all the stuff I want it to :shrug:

except be secure.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Needs some settings to configure the settings.

(or maybe settings search instead)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

There used to be a Firefox extension I used that added all sorts of bbcode stuff to the right click menu or something... I'm a little fuzzy on the details as it's been many years since I last used it. I do remember I was really disappointed when it disappeared.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It still exists and was maintained as of last year, though I don't see any updates this year:
https://github.com/astral-sa/salr

There is a chrome version here but it's definitely unmaintained:
https://github.com/scottferg/salr-chrome

Sorry, it was a generic bbcode extension, not specific to SA. It had a lot more options and smarts for formatting.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

baka kaba posted:

It only pops up once for a couple of seconds!

WTF, how dare you force this poo poo on me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Make app always open to latest announcements thread. Thanks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Please add ability to block posts about announcements

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thread fixed I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Eiba posted:

Seems like a solid "maybe". Glad to hear it. Good luck!

And since I never had the occasion to track down the fine folks who made this app to begin with, thanks for making the app in the first place! Regardless of it works in the future, I've been very happily using it for years.

No. :colbert:

I'll get a new phone when this one fails catastrophically and not a day before.

Not being able to browse SA in a nice app is annoying, but not $100 annoying.

Just be aware you're using a phone that's full of security issues.