Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I was wondering if the was a way to shrink back down pictures you expand. If I click them again my options are to down load and other stuff but not minimize? Am I missing something?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for questions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Thank you for web search friend.

It works most of the time.. occasionally I'm asked if I want to define a word which for some reason removes the web search option but it's 99% better I love you

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

The new update has me laughing everytime I see the app icon update trying to match my 'grey' android theme to match my native google apps and lol i love it

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

I hope that becomes an option for icons

I mean I set my pixel 4a to use the gray icons or whatever at the system level, and after the latest update it turned into this and I love it and Im laughing my rear end off 😐

It was mentioned in the patch notes

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My main issue is that when I turn off the feature to only show new posts, it loads up poorly and places me towards the end of the new posts and I have to wait for it to load.. which takes 20 seconds and it doesn't land at the last post I read, but a later post and I have to wait for it to load then scroll back up.

Id be happy to post a video if your not sure what I'm talking about..

Still the best way to read the forums on my Android phone.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 27, 2022

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Thank you for your work! Genuinely love you devs

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I've not had any issues with Twitter embeds or videos, but gifs don't load anymore... It shows up with a big play button then if I click it out takes me out of the app and up view it on imgur it whenever it gives from..

I probably have some settings incorrectly configured. It used to work life 3 months ago. I bet I tagged something in settings

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Any work being done to allow creating posts from the app yet? Sorry if I missed something but the original post says no?

You can do it on iphones though?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol, thanks for the follow up, I appreciate it

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'm using the latest official release of the android app.. for the last... Maybe 6 months? Gifs show up to me like this.

Is there a setting to fix this or is it just not working for me?

I click the link and it opens the gif off-site at whatever address it was posted from in a firefox window on my phone.

It's driving me nuts!

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 6, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Yay! thank you both so much... it seemed to be that I had disable gif animation on.... usually i wouldn't mind but people keep posting static gifs and its frustrating as hell.

I'm still not sure what "settings > posts > always open links" i didn't see any change toggling that.

Anyway! thanks! this has made my app experience much more enjoyable!

I kinda just wish the GIFs would show in that previous post i made, but if i clicked it, it would load instead of loading offsite... but this works!

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 7, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

vortmax posted:

Yeah, this is a Twitter problem. I have to go to the site/app to watch them.

Same. It seems to be Twitter making GBS threads the bed further. Shocking i know.

If you don't want to open the link you can pay the video then touch the video and move it up and down slowly and it plays pretty well.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Sereri posted:

Update appears to be live for beta, fixing the two issues above

If there are no more issues, I'll push it out to the rest tomorrow

o7

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Pixel 5a latest update worked fine for me.. I am running beta app though

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

Everything is working on my old Google pixel 3. I do wonder why highlighting text sometimes gives me the option to "web search," sometimes "bing search," sometimes a search button with my preferred browser's logo on it, and sometimes no search option at all. Doesn't seem to be connected to a specific thread or forum. Not really game-breaking, just something I noticed.

I've noticed that too... And that also week I select with search sometimes it just loads an already open Firefox tab with our doing the search she's I have to go back to the thread, highlight the text she select web search again. Very strange.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Star Man posted:

I would love it if we could bookmark posts

... You can.. top left vertical 3 dot button

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Works fine for me

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Works for me?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Question:

Is my imgur account I share family photos from going to be found out if I login to the app and share a pic? I assume not, but maybe it's a good idea to create a new account anyway...

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

You have to give a phone number to make an imgur account now? Or am I missing something..

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Thank you for the update I love this app. I'm not a coder, but I do qa for a company and read pull requests daily as part of my job to see what has changed and how it will impact the rest of the code base.

I can read and understand code, but I'm very inexperienced in writing it.

The only thing I really do these days is taking already written SQL code and changing it to do what I need for my job to verify they didn't break something.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to maybe help me set up a dev environment on GitHub for this app. I would like to look at the code and maybe, take a swing at some minor updates.

I'd like to learn more but I'm not sure where to start.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My end goal is to get Twitter/x embeds working again and also give the ability to have them redirect to nitter.net while following the rest of the link so we don't have to sign in to view the stupidity and can avoid the ads from ol Elon.

But I need some experience before attempting that if it's even possible

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Okay cool. I had to create a GitHub account because my work migrated our repos to GitHub recently, but I'll definitely want to create a new account for personal use.

I do have PMs so I'll try following the readme and if I get stuck I'll reach out.

Thank you very much I appreciate it!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Umm.. 😳 what language is this written in? Java?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I viewed the page on my phone and it wasn't obvious... My brother learned to code with Java and he can probably help me a bit too.

Thanks everyone I'll follow the readme and try a setup tomorrow or this weekend depending on how busy work is.

I appreciate your support in answering so quickly this thread is usually pretty dead

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My brother and friends are excited I'm looking into starting to do dev. They all started a few years ago when we all got let go from my previous job.

How much space do you think I need to start an android studio environment for this project?

I got a spinner with like 250 gigs I assume that's plenty?

Or would it be better to use 40 gb on an SSD? I assume speed doesn't matter much for compile time anymore

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 15, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

If you're that limited on space, install the Android stuff to spinning disk but the project itself to SSD. The project itself is real small but you probably don't want to waste all the space on the Android garbage on your SSD.

My only thought was that it being on the expected directory of c:\program files\stuff would prevent configuration issues further down the line.

This is from experience years ago and probably isn't an issue anymore.

Android space failed to install anyway because my CPU failed it's VT-x virtualization check which my CPU is supposed to support according to my checks.

Is there a goon discord for dork stuff like this?

Nerds seeking nerds? I can share info on 7 year old fiber storage array hardware that doesn't exist anymore or tips on how not to implement app features

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 15, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I really doubt I need hardware acceleration through my CPU for this so I'm just going to continue

Edit: friend told me I probably just need to boot to bios and turn it on. My machine is old enough it probably shipped turned off.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 15, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a bios with vt turned on by default.

well, the install said it wasn't enabled and my CPU is supposed to support it... so its either disabled in BIOS or my laptop is broken yeah?

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 16, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Mantle posted:

There is a Cavern of COBOL discord here: https://discord.gg/9WuYBbhV

gracias!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I feel dumb as hell, but i tried looking up my forums ID # and i couldn't find it on my control panel...the discord wants me to share that to verify i am a goon.

I hope im not this useless at looking at code

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's weird that it doesn't show up when looking up your own profile, but you can get your forums ID number by clicking on the ? button underneath a post you've made in a browser and grabbing it from the url. It's kinda funny in context that you can also do that in the app, but it automates it enough that you can't see the account number :classiclol:

Lol thank you. I knew about the question mark at one point but I forgot.

Good news is my CPU did indeed ship with virtualization off

I enabled that and now I'm fighting windows 10 system control panel to enable hyper-v... the location and phrases seem different but I think i found it.

Progress.

Going to uninstall the install from last night and reinstall and see if it picks up the virtualization.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 16, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Yup got it and put it in the discord thanks, I had to find the be reminded of the question mark

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 16, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

always use the beta don't be a coward :)

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah it's happening to everyone free tech support said they would look into the cause
:love:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Uthor posted:

I've never used this. Guess it's time to learn.

It has 2000's era size limits on attachments that is the issue, not the ten bucks

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Oh ma gerd thank you for fixing imgur support for offline photos!

Have my cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I've never heard of the windows 11 app... This is the app for Android