Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can't. Use a browser.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It "infuriates" you? Good lord. Find some perspective in life.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Release Date: May 2012

Ooof

Get a new phone. That poo poo is ancient.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just really feel bad for people that subject themselves to old devices. I get it, we're not made of money and you want to get what you've spent out of a device. But something from like 5 years ago is just cruel. Spend $150-200 every couple of years and get yourself something that isn't insecure, running an old OS and APIs, and isn't god-awfully slow. Something like the G5+ or even some random BLU phone. It'll be so much better than your S3 from 5 years ago. I promise. Don't subject yourself to such torture. $200 every 2 years is well worth it for how often we use our phones these days.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

site posted:

I use an s3 and tweets load fine. Maybe techbros saying lol get a new phone scrub are jumping the gun

You should still get a new phone, hth

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Stupid techbros and their opinions about technology. I bet you go to the actual doctor for your medical advice, what a scrub.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Techbros are less doctors and more like that one disturbingly veiny guy at the gym who has his own secret juicing regimens

I'll let the techbros know that they hosed up when creating anything that has a flashy light.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bad Llama posted:

why cant i post with this app yet, what the gently caress

Did you make the in-app purchase?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think it has something to do with web view or some shared library, because Twitter has a similar feature which has a similar delay.

I've also noticed a ton of programs having a huge delay when opening them from the notification shade. It seems like Google broke something ~1 month ago.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I haven't noticed it having anything to do with posting. It seems somewhat random to me when clicking on the 3 dots next to someone's post. Twitter has the little down-arrow / chevron next to someone's tweets that often does the same thing. The menu it brings up looks very similar and I assume they are using a similar library.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It says you can't unignore them in the app. Warning you you can't undo what you're about to do.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It actually used to be pretty good. But it's been a looooong time since then.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We're taking it back. No longer will the nobel frog be a sign of tyranny. Frogs for freedom!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Been fine on Oreo on my 5x over the past week or so.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

taiyoko posted:

A pleasant surprise: I broke my phone trying to update it, ended up having to wipe my internal storage and reinstall android. On re setting it up, Google helpfully offered to reinstall my apps and apparently whatever backup thing they do included my cookies for Awful, so I didn't have to login again. Thanks, Google!

Just wanted to say I appreciated this as well, although it would be interesting to hear how it works on a technical level.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Google's backup saves apps' SharedPreferences files, which are often used as a light data store as well as actual settings. We stick the cookies in there

Cool! Something to learn about, thank you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

my phone is only three years old thats not ancient haha

3 year old phones that were budget phones at the time are in fact ancient. Get a new budget phone and plan to every 2 years.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

While we're asking for dumb features, can we make swipe right go to the next page? Got my XBOXHUGE 2XL and it's awkward making it down to the next page button 1 handed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

While we're asking for dumb features, can we make swipe right go to the next page? Got my XBOXHUGE 2XL and it's awkward making it down to the next page button 1 handed.

Nevermind, I'm a big dummy. I forgot there was a pull-for-next setting that I disabled ages ago and somehow glossed over it when I was looking for a "next page" gesture. Thanks Team Barry!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

All this over a frog icon? You people are crazy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Haven't said it in a while, so thank you all for making this awesome app. By far the most used app on my phone. Thank you very much for doing this in your spare time for no compensation.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thank you for the Imgur integration, it's super convenient and helpful.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

KillHour posted:

It happens every time I open the app switcher, and only does it with awful.

It's not awful. Your poo poo is broke.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

thechosenone posted:

No, don't even have images on. Do have Twitter embeds on, but emoticons, and others stuff are off. Mainly just text

It's at like 25 percent now, good grief

Newer versions of Android now include the app you have open's battery drain when your screen is on. Basically, it didn't used to factor in your screen drain when you had an app open. Now it does. So if you've been using the app for ~2 hours, it is going to account the battery that your screen is using to the Awful app. Are you sure that's not what's going on?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nothing you can do except brightness. I can't tell if you're talking about LED or OLED, but it is OLED that saves battery on black pixels. LED is going to be less energy efficient.

A new phone is also likely still figuring out how much battery it has, so the estimates will be inaccurate. I would give it a few days before stressing about it.

That being said, if it's a new phone and you're already super concerned about battery use you might want to consider another device with better battery life.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Feel free to submit a pull request.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

site posted:

Welp if its android side rip my phone guess its time to see if there are any custom roms still floating around for the s3

By all means, barge in and be a dick and then don't even say thanks for the help.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

site posted:

This started because tviolet confirmed it was happening long after my original post and all i did was respond to a non devs (as it turns out) false claim that support had been totally cut for older phones so im not sure what yall are trying to get out of rezzing a convo from three days ago to gaslight me

I'm not sure why either. It's a total and complete mystery. One we may never fully solve.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How do I get my cut of the bitcoins?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

:kiss:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sereri posted:

I'll take a look.

Just for another data point, the same thing happens on my Pixel 2 XL. There seems to be a bit of play horizontaly in a thread, so when I'm scrolling the page can move left or right just a tiny bit. Not something I was going to mention, but since someone else beat me to it I figured I'd chime in.

Thanks again for the constant improvements with the app. Been my most used app for years now at this point.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My "thread has horizontal play" feedback in on the Default theme, so I don't think it's just the dark theme.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sereri posted:

Ah, I see what's going on. Apparently the menu button on the post break the layout when your font size is bigger than the default 16px.

Proving once again that settings are a mistake.

Will work on a fix.

Thank you!

Y'all are the best.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't know how many years it's been but this has always been my favorite and most used app. Thank you!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's literally the name of that UI element. Next you're going to tell me you hate it when people call them radio buttons.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Whoever added the history tab to the emoji selection is a champ.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

Put a new post button but it actually just adds replies to this thread

Beautiful

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please change the app so that it only breaks for forums poster "other people," thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I demand to speak to the Awful app's manager!

Maybe the Apple store can help?