Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

That shows up in the notification menu in the upper right though, I thought? I'm taking about a badge on the community's icon.
There is always a 1 badge on the Awful community for me. It's been that way forever despite no new posts since Nov 9, 2013. All other communities work fine for me with the activity badge so I just chalk it up to something being hosed up with that particular community.

Why don't you post something in there so the number will be bumped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

This has happened twice in the last week now. After reading the forums for 15-20 minutes, my phone will seem to do a sudden, hard shutdown (no warning, just black screen). When this happens, I notice that it's quite hot where I suspect the CPU is (towards the top, not where the battery is). The phone will be unresponsive for a few hours, then suddenly I'll be able to turn it back on (at least, I hope that happens this time as well). I have a Nexus 4 on 5.0.1. Any ideas what might be going on?
Honestly that sounds like a heat problem rather than an app problem. I would think the only way to verify would be to do something that pegs the CPU while keeping the screen on and see if that does it too.

The Nexus 4 when it launched had really intrusive thermal throttling. I seem to remember it not being able to complete benchmark tests because of it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Sky Force does heat up the phone pretty good, but I haven't had this problem with it. I'll try that later today. Anything that you know of that will for sure peg the CPU?
I'll admit that I don't but I would imagine gaming for a half hour would do it.

I mean, I'm basically talking out my rear end here but when a device just shuts down all of a sudden it's usually heat or a broken device and you mentioned it being hot...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My first thought is GIFs and how they just punish the CPU but I haven't seen that in a long time, especially not on Lollipop. I thought that was fixed at least in KitKat or one of the later Jelly Beans.

Awful has a lot of settings somewhere on this if I remember correctly. Maybe GIFs/avatars/hardware acceleration or some combination of them?

I know on Something I've never seen image-heavy threads peg the CPU but I've always used that on a Nexus 5 which is a lot better from a heat perspective. Still, it should be the same software so I don't know why Awful would do it and Something wouldn't since they should both be using the same WebView. :shrug:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Where do you get the idea of a questionable ROM? This is stock (albeit rooted).
It's an older device on the newest software after a major change to a lot of things. It wouldn't be too farfetched for it not to be properly optimized for the Nexus 4 at this point. Maybe bugfix releases or May's point release will make it more trustworthy but for right now I think "questionable" is as good an adjective as any even if some of us aren't seeing any issues with it.

Especially given the Nexus 4's historical... weirdness... surrounding Qualcomm SoC patches and radio behavior I think it's been amply demonstrated that it's easy to have it not work right even on stock software.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Weak.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

Well there's always this

It's from the guy that does various Windows and Windows Phone Awfuls.
If it was the best app in the world and Material as gently caress I still wouldn't use it because of that icon.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nokiaman posted:

Glad to hear that :)
The green is just too bright for me.

It's the one thing I wish Something did. I can live without an emote list and the stupid link-to bug where it goes to the page and not the post but I really wish I could choose AmberPOS without it being forum-wide.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Not that it should make much of a difference to the users in this thread but Something has been hurting for graphics assets for a while too. I can't check right at the moment but there's a list somewhere in the thread detailing just how many it needs.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frocobo posted:

Gotta agree with this. It feels really out of place. Would it be possible to add an option to remove it?

You mean like the one there is that has been mentioned over and over?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Elitist Bitch posted:

I just updated to 3.2.0.7 tonight, and noticed something strange. I love how the menu shows your avatar, but... This is my old avatar. I changed it 7 or 8 months ago too, so it's not like it was a recent change.

EDIT: Galaxy S4 running 5.0.1.

Clear the app's cache. I'd assume that would work.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Probably has to do with the expired SSL certificate.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FamousThomas posted:

Same on Galaxy S5

Again, the SSL cert is expired and the app only supports SSL login.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Hello. It is July 5th, and the issue persists.

Thanks for the update.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

richardfun posted:

Somewhat odd. I have the same problem logging in as you guys, but for me, it only started last night. The certificate has been out of date for longer than that, right?

Yes but it will only affect you if you log out. Prior to that the login cookie was allowing you in.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Maybe the Something app has/had that?

Nope.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Awful and Something are completely separate apps, they won't conflict with each other. The error's appearing because the forums are (at some point) throwing out a 'not logged in' response, I don't think there's anything a user can do to janitor it until the underlying cause is fixed

For what it's worth, I've never seen that error in Something.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I mean it can be useful - I was deicing a freezer the other day and I had my phone flashlight going, a bit longer than I probably should, and then it went off. Tapping the icon didn't work, it said flashlight on for a second and then went off again. It was a bit warm so I left it to cool, but still nothing - I thought maybe the bulb had burned out, which would suck

Anyhoo I looked at the device logs when I had it plugged in and I saw a bunch of errors about the camera device being unavailable, and sure enough that wouldn't work, so I rebooted and it was all fine. So you can sometimes get useful info in there about things, y'know?

This sounds a lot like the camera_daemon issue on the Nexus 5.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Try disabling embedded webm/gifv

If that's the fix, why not take it out and put out a beta version to see if it resolves things?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Manky posted:

I've gone back to using Something.apk, it's been flawless

I never stopped and yes, I've not had a single one of these issues.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wouldn't the preferred way to handle it be to use those weird pop out Chrome views?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Well poo poo, I think you might be right about accidentally pressing Next with my palm. That explains why I couldn't figure out the pattern. I have to accept that I have small Trumplike hands and stop trying to use this huge phone one-handed.

I invoke the task switcher and keyboard changer regularly on my Nexus 5. It's easy to do when you use your device one-handed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I can get it consistently by
  • do a search in the Google homescreen launcher
  • click the search box in the results page
  • swipe backspace to select words to delete
  • nothing happens, hit backspace
  • cursor jumps to the start of the text
  • gently caress you

The 'haha for each letter you delete I will add a word!' bs is rarer but it still happens mostly in Hangouts for me. It's bad and yeah we got scroogled I guess

This doesn't replicate for me. Pixel XL, Pixel Launcher, latest GBoard.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CM6 is what? Gingerbread? I'm pretty sure when I sold my Nexus One it was running CM7 unless I'm misremembering. It's at least 5 years out of date, like way before they broke the WebView out of the system.

e: Holy poo poo, CM6 was Froyo, released in 2011.

e2: vv That makes a lot more sense although I was super impressed with your resilience there for a bit.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 22, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Material Frog is okay, though there's no circular asset for Pixels (the only thing that matters). It's definitely better than the really out of place old icon. That can't have looked right on anything past Jelly Bean.

On a completely different note, will it ever be possible to set up a list of subforums we'd like quicker access to? Something like, well, the Something app? I regularly switch between the two and by far the biggest pain point is having to dig into the enormous and always-collapsed forum list to check the three or four subforums I want to read.

I have to imagine most users are similar, seldom venturing beyond a few favorite subforums, but maybe I'm wrong?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

It's pretty circular though :colbert:

It's certainly close! I only mention it because I think apps are supposed to define a circular one in addition to the other.

Sereri posted:

The code in question was too unflexible until recently, now

However no time has been invested in that yet as:

I do a lot of moving via bookmarks but I know a few goons and all of them must be weird like me because they do about an equal amount of time going to a subforum to scan for new & interesting threads. If we're all out of the norm it wouldn't really surprise me, but on the other hand it kind of would? I mean it's not my time and effort so it's neither here nor there, I just find it strange.

As long as you're answering questions I have another:

Why no fixed width font on the YOSPOS thread listing? The colors already change when you go to it, why not the font too?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Well poo poo, dunno why webview never appeared in my update list

Longbaugh01 posted:

This is on an LG G2 running 5.0.2.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Toshimo posted:

I would donate to a GoFundMe campaign to never include making threads in the app.

This but also replies.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying there, Internet Explorer, but some people don't use their phones much.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

Yeah, it stopped doing that :iiam:

Clicking links opens in apps, not when I post it to address line

Clear the defaults for whatever opens when you click a link, then click the link again and select the app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Forum favourites! Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

So, has anyone tried the favorite forums functionality? What's the opinion?

Tried it and use it every time I use the app. I feel like it would nice to have a shortcut to them from the bookmarks screen (I feel like that's kind of what they are) but I can live with it the way it is.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

There is also a setting that makes it the default instead of the forums index. I forgot to mention that in the changelog and will add it for the next release.

Not gonna lie, the Settings in this app overwhelm me. I never would've found that on my own but it definitely makes it even better, thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Do y'all who want this use the full forums list much?

I'm tempted to say "Never" but I'll say "Rarely". (It's really never.)

baka kaba posted:

Forums in the thread view (bookmarks) sounds weird because you could have two forum lists open side by side (full and favs), and then opening a favourite forum would replace that view with threads. You'd have to go click something to replace them with the favs view again, so you couldn't just hop between forums quickly like with the dedicated forum list

(I also don't want to try it out because the forums switcher is simple and putting forums in the thread view and managing state oh god :skeltal: but it does sound kinda weird anyway, but if people think it's a good idea...?)

I understand what you mean. If the Bookmarks are just another forum (i.e. a list of threads) then it would be weird for it to have a dedicated button/UI to toggle between Favorites and Bookmarks. Mentally I lump the two together since that would be a list of the only things I care about ("These threads and these forums") but I can see what you mean by the navigation structure getting weird so yeah, don't put it there.

Now that I know about the setting that replaces the forum list with the favorite list, there's a persistent shortcut to them in the sidebar which is good enough for me. I think from a UI perspective it makes more sense to have dedicated buttons to both in the side bar but now that I know how it works it's the same thing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

How do you mean about the sidebar? You mean separate options to open the forums list and switch it to one of the two modes?

The way I think of favourite forums is that it's exactly the same as before - you can just filter out forums you don't care about

I guess my mental model is different, probably from using the other app so long. I think of the forum directory and the favorite list as two unrelated things when I'm conceptualizing, it wouldn't occur to me to think of them as the forums list and then a filter of them.

When pulling out the sidebar I'd expect to see common places to go to and since to me my favorite forums is a separate place from the forums list, I'd expect it to be there.

Maybe I'm weird.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Long pressing a forum generates a popup with the Oxford English popup: Set favourite (LOL)

It also has the forum picker button in the Favorites (American English) in the action bar which I didn't notice until now. I set everything using long-presses.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Uh yeah that wasn't meant to be rolled out, I thought Sereri had pulled it in so I was just trying stuff out. Are the forum titles randomly in red too?

Is everyone using the long-press thing? Gah

Yes, forum titles are red if favourited. I like that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It still exists and was maintained as of last year, though I don't see any updates this year:
https://github.com/astral-sa/salr

There is a chrome version here but it's definitely unmaintained:
https://github.com/scottferg/salr-chrome

That's the old Chrome extension. The current one is here:
https://github.com/MasterOdin/salr-chrome/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

Been using this forever, but finally decided to complain about my one gripe. I'm fairly sure that the time of all posts is off by an hour to my timezone. How do I adjust this?

On the website from a computer, User Control Panel > Edit Options, are these options set correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Personally, I would love a (canon) amber POS option that didn't also render the rest of the forums the same way.

Same, friend.