Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I just got a WebView update that seems to solve the issue, although I only tested for a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Meatgrinder posted:

Weirdly I am being logged out of the app, apparently randomly, on my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, android 4.4.2) since yesterday. It's fine on my phone. Anyone have similar experiences?

Can confirm, but this is fully updated Pixel 4 XL.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

For those not seeing any issues, how often are you tapping images and selecting View Image or tapping embedded tweets, going out to whichever Twitter app is handling it, and returning? It's those two actions which cause it with almost 100% consistency. I should note that if I'm going out to my Twitter app (in my case, Flamingo) that I'm always doing so in order to view pictures in the tweet. For me it seems like the common thread is the viewing of images.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

is this for the logout thing, or for the slow thing? Is the app restarting i.e. with the "Awful" splash screen, or is it showing the app straightaway? And if this is the slow thing, which part of it's slow - the splash screen, or the app itself displaying, or is the app loading (the main UI around the thread view) and the web view is taking a while to show up? If it's the latter, does the rest of the UI respond while you're waiting - swipe to other views, tap the menu and get a popup, etc

That was for the slow thing. Coming back from viewing a picture or tweet, the phone freezes for a good 3-5 seconds. It's fine otherwise. Everything works just fine until I view an image (the image opens right away usually) then I'll hit back and it just freezes. Sometimes it will actually get back to the thread and freeze there, like no scrolling or anything. Same thing with the tweet, if I'm going back from Flamingo it just locks up and usually never makes it back to Awful. In both cases it resumes fine after the freeze. There's no slow load, it's just not moving, then it's fine.

For the logout thing, there's no Awful splash. It goes straight to the dog, Every time I stop using the app and go back in, launching from the icon.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

App review:

Dev fixes "random logout" issues quickly.

The corporate devs of Honeywell's "smart thermostat" app apparently have been unable or haven't cared enough to fix a similar problem that's been in their app for years.

Awful app is officially better than Honeywell's app.

Let's be real here, Awful app is better supported than pretty much every third party app out there. I can only think of a handful that come close.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

YggiDee posted:

I have a compulsive habit of touching/highlighting text while I read

(incidentally this makes the reddit app a loving nightmare, it vanishes comments while I'm trying to read them and I hate it!!!)

My reading weirdness is that I always constantly scroll so that the line I'm reading is centered vertically in the display which means when I get close to, but not quite to, the end of a page in the app or in an e-reader I trigger the next page and I have to go back in order to finish the page.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Had the log in problem so downloaded the app and now post highlights aren't working

Mine are working on the new APK.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Well if it works for me and not for you, then you need to troubleshoot. Are you using an inbuilt theme and did you check to make sure the setting is on in the control panel of the forums and that the appropriate toggles are on in Settings > Posts?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Got the April Android update for my Pixel 4 XL, and the weird freeze issue went away :dance:

Can confirm.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

There's some kind of known issue when you visit a subforum that the app uses a custom stylesheet for, BYOB seems particularly susceptible in my experience.

Can also confirm, though it's YOSPOS that does it for me.

I gotta say I'm glad those drat freezes are gone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TheDon01 posted:

I now keep getting logged out when I close the ap, is this some setting I missed somewhere?

Update the app or grab the APK from just upthread

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TITANKISSER69 posted:

The forums feature being referred to is the # under your avatar.

That's not really a forums feature either so much as link to the post's URL. The app already exposes this in the overflow menu on a post (Copy URL). The problem I'd see with trying to make a bookmark system for this would be how would you tag it so it makes any sense?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

turd in my singlet posted:

i mean a basic system that seems like it wouldn't be too hard to implement i have no idea how programming works would just be a "bookmarked posts" tab accessible from the main app menu with an option to manually create folders and put individual bookmarks in them

So just a list of:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3571717&perpage=40&pagenumber=163#post504678682
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3571717&perpage=40&pagenumber=163#post504676838
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3571717&perpage=40&pagenumber=163#post504668280
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3571717&perpage=40&pagenumber=163#post504666570

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chronojam posted:

Thread name, poster name?

Awful.apk - I Can't Believe It's Not Beta!, LastInLine1
Awful.apk - I Can't Believe It's Not Beta!, LastInLine2
Awful.apk - I Can't Believe It's Not Beta!, LastInLine3
Awful.apk - I Can't Believe It's Not Beta!, LastInLine4

Of course you could always do thread title folder > poster name title too.

All of it seems like a lot of work for little reward to me but I'm neither the guy doing the work nor the one wanting the reward. If I were the sort who's not only into archiving individual posts but also ON THE MOVE I'd probably share the post URL to a note-taking app where I could curate them more effectively.

It'd be a lot nicer if the "Copy URL" in the post overflow menu was actually "Share URL" like the icon would indicate so that such a workflow was a two-step process. Then you could just tap Share to Keep List "Cool LastInLine posts" and markup that share item at your leisure.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I feel dumb, I'm sure it's an easy answer but I just don't know - I switched to a new phone and the app is doing this. How do I get rid of the forum listing on the left side?

Switch it out of tablet mode

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Ever since I updated the app to fix the login issue, every thread page just loads up blank. The forums/thread lists show up fine and the unread post count updates, but the posts themselves won't show up on any thread. Already tried clearing data and reinstalling.

You don't have the post quality filter turned on, do you? This was a joke, I actually don't have any ideas.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I guess this is somewhere between an app question and a general android one, but I've been getting a fair number of instances lately where the app completely hangs on loading a thread and has to be killed manually. It's updated, Chrome is updated, and I generally sorta suspect it's more my phone than the app, but I know essentially nothing about tracking down these issues' root causes on phones compared to Windows. Is there a good way to look somewhere that helps me look at error logs or something to see if it's twisted to the app vs the phone just being lovely?

Usually when I see this it's due to Cloudflare or SA being generally unreachable.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Couldn't the kind of person who'd want to use F-Droid just pull the releases off of Github?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

xtal posted:

The app has become non functional for me on a recent update. Galaxy s20+ installed from play store. Constant crashes and hangs that can only be solved by force stopping. Took me 3 tries to post this.

Using a VPN or DNS for adblocking?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Party Boat posted:

It shouldn't update the "last read" marker unless you move to a new page in the same thread.

Huh it used to not do that but I just tested and it does now.

It used to be that if you marked a post last read and kept reading that it was the post you marked until you made it back to the thread list. That sucked because if the app never reloaded in the background then you could open it up and keep going not realizing that you left your spot back like twenty pages the next time you got to a computer.

Beachcomber posted:

Awesome. I've apparently been racing a non-existent timer. :downs:

I imagine though it must've felt nice to win every time :)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

What's hard about it? I just read this in the app no problem.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I'm somewhere between these two extremes(?). I didn't have too much trouble hitting the spoilered text with my thumb, but I did hit the above photos a few times, triggering the pop-up. On a Pixel 4 XL fwiw

Is that the problem the op is having? Hitting the pictures instead? I'm on a Pixel 4 XL and didn't have problems but more likely than small fingers or too large a phone it's probably that I keep the text size fairly large making a larger tap target.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

I think I intentionally set all taps to bring up the menu and I really like the menu, but a long press menu would be a good compromise.

The nice thing about this would be that it would eliminate the step I have where I long press the image every. loving. time. to bring up that menu and it never works.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maigius posted:

I'm getting an issue where trying to view threads is causing a crash. I have tried an assortment of threads and all seem to cause an instant crash. Chrome and the app are up to date and have were updated well before the crashes started. This is on a Pixel 2.

Edit: Clearing my Chrome and Awful cache did not help.

Android Web View?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Here you go

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah it's animating just fine for me as well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

How hard would it be to have an option for the app to follow the system with regard to light/dark mode? I can imagine that people might want to specify which theme they prefer for each if that's doable.

Also along the same lines, any plans to make adjustments to the current dark mode to make it align to the now official site dark mode?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's on Twitter's side. Fixing that would be super hacky.

I don't know anything about anything, but I'm assuming if you're taking a link to copy to the clipboard that it would be trivial to strip everything after the content link. How is it that I, a human, can easily do this when copypasting links but a computer cannot?

I'm also guessing the op is asking about URLs for link sharing but maybe I'm wrong and they're talking about something else?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jabor posted:

It's not always clear what is an important part of the link and what is just referral bullshit.

You can hardcode that logic for different sites I guess, and then you're fine until that site changes how it does things.

Is there a need beyond just Twitter and maybe Amazon?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Looks to me like you're going about this from the wrong direction. Try disabling the nav bar then switching back.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Huh, so it is. Has it been there a while? I feel like I've been using the various browser extensions to get that functionality for years, so maybe I missed when it became a part of the default forums.

Pretty new, only a quarter century old at the oldest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zil posted:

Good point, it's more of searching either the correct spelling or for searching something in a quoted post while editing your own.

I know extreme edge case, but I'm high and making questionable posts.

Spellcheck is obviously handled by the keyboard and, here's the thing, I think Gboard actually does have a search function built in for just such an occasion only I've never used the feature to tell you how it works. Researching now shows Google removed the feature in June. Sort of baffling why, it was tucked away in such a place that it wasn't intrusive but easily accessible though I never used it for the reasons YggiDee stated.

You can long-press > Web Search before hitting the quote button and, though inconvenient, save the reply draft and leave to go back and do the same after the fact.