Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

I have been told, but cannot confirm, that an "InMail" from anyone you aren't a contact of costs a whole :10bux:, which they get back if you reply to it.

You'd think they would be more careful to who they send said "InMail" and with what. It surely must be worth it to spam it like that, landing a hire in 1000 probably covers it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Fil5000 posted:

Recruiters are such a mixed bag, I've had terrible ones and ok ones. My new job is from a cold approach by a recruiter for a role the company didn't even have on their jobs page yet, and they did all the salary negotiations and I'm getting a 20% increase. That kind of thing is when they're worth it.

I have had a couple of good ones. I sent one agency my CV as a PDF, and they pretty much just replied saying "Your interview is at this place and time", and I got the job. Another one cold called me, listed some well known places he was recruiting for which I immediately was interested in, and just sent me Teams links for the interviews with the places.

Good ones are out there, but it's a 1:50 good to bad ratio.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Once you find a good recruiter, you latch onto them like a headcrab until the day either of you die.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

vanity slug posted:

Once you find a good recruiter, you latch onto them like a headcrab until the day either of you die.

Every time I do they get burned out almost immediately and quit lol

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Rexxed posted:

HP Spectre Folio 13

I couldn't believe how silly those were when I first saw one. Well made at least.

You'll want to be looking at the touch controller itself usually. It's generally going to be close to the screen connector or it may have its own connector. Probe around making sure it's getting power, clock and that nothing's knocked off.

Also I think the controller is on the board, not the screen but didja try swapping cables yet?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

down1nit posted:

I couldn't believe how silly those were when I first saw one. Well made at least.

You'll want to be looking at the touch controller itself usually. It's generally going to be close to the screen connector or it may have its own connector. Probe around making sure it's getting power, clock and that nothing's knocked off.

Also I think the controller is on the board, not the screen but didja try swapping cables yet?

Of the two units I have, I've swapped most of the hardware around between them to figure out the issues. The client's laptop won't read any SSD plugged into the M.2 port on the mainboard, and I received it with a dead SSD. The ebay one I got won't work with touch. Both of these problems travel with the mainboard to the entirety of the other laptop's hardware. I did find some mainboards on Aliexpress for $208 but I don't think it's worth it to fix it to the client since they still also need an SSD and there's labor costs with everything. I'm just going to keep the one without working touch when I get it all back together.

I suspect the client's one had the SSD die or something on the pci-e bus die or both, one as a result of the other. I tried switching the internal cables and hooking the secondary M.2 slot that the ebay one came with into the client's laptop as well, with the plan being to try to boot it from a B-Key M.2 SSD in that secondary M.2 slot as a last resort, but it doesn't see that either.

I suspect the ebay one killed some component on the mainboard when the original screen broke. Someone replaced the screen later and did a really bad job of it, marring up the case and whatnot, but the touchscreen issue seems to be on the mainboard and not the touch controller board, oddly. Maybe it killed the internal usb hub or whatever hardware is used for that. Anyway, the problem travels with the mainboard to the good touch screen hardware of the client's machine.

Since both laptops have a mainboard with some onboard problem, there's no real way to get a perfectly working laptop from the two of them. If we'd have purchased a mainboard the client's one would probably be fine, but I don't think they're going to do that.

Perhaps HP only made these leather folio laptops for one year because they had some design flaws, or they didn't sell well, or they overheated. I don't know what killed the client's disk but it shipped with a Samsung PM981 NVMe disk which are usually alright. The CPU is a i7-8500Y which is a super cut down dual core with HT with a 5W TDP because there's no fan in the laptop.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Hughmoris posted:

That sucks. :smith:

These opportunities that are ghosting you, are they remote or onsite? By all appearances, the IT job market is in a rough state except for some extremely talented wizards with loads of work experience. I think the remote-job market is even worse off since everyone and their sister wants to work remotely, and every posted opening immediately receives hundreds of applicants.

One of them finally got back to me, they hit budget problems. The recruiter is disappointed too but they're referring me to other roles. The good news is there is still IT work out there, I'm getting interviews, doing well and people want to hire me.

I've got three interviews scheduled next week. :toot:

Hughmoris posted:

Are you involved in any IT groups or communities? I'm trying to get my foot into the SQL Server and Postgres communities, in hopes I can leverage that network into a job when the time comes. It seems a good path if you don't mind people.

I've been thinking of the ways to improve my situation beyond just getting endlessly watching YouTube Videos about how OAuth works or getting another cert like the SC-300 or MS-102. I started going through the more advanced Cloud Resume Challenge parts for fun but know little about containers but time to learn!

https://x.com/forrestbrazeal/status/1767190221689422295?s=20

klosterdev posted:

I wouldn't move to the Bay for work rn, tech companies have been laying people off en masse for the past two years and guess where most tech companies are situated or have a presence in.

I thought the same but I've got a few legit companies reaching out to me. Granted, it's definitely East Coast TZ biased. I'm more on the IT/DevOps side than Software Development with a lot of experience. They have however made it clear that I would need to relocate and be physically in the office on certain days. Or else.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 17, 2024

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm currently doing the "what's your salary?" "what's your budget?" infinite loop with a third party recruiter for a job I don't even want, in a different country. I have nothing better to do with my employer's time TBH.

I have been told, but cannot confirm, that an "InMail" from anyone you aren't a contact of costs a whole :10bux:, which they get back if you reply to it.

InMail pricing is different depending on your plan, and usually recruiters are using the recruiter plan anyway

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Rexxed posted:

Of the two units I have, I've swapped most of the hardware around between them to figure out the issues. The client's laptop won't read any SSD plugged into the M.2 port on the mainboard, and I received it with a dead SSD. The ebay one I got won't work with touch. Both of these problems travel with the mainboard to the entirety of the other laptop's hardware. I did find some mainboards on Aliexpress for $208 but I don't think it's worth it to fix it to the client since they still also need an SSD and there's labor costs with everything. I'm just going to keep the one without working touch when I get it all back together.

I suspect the client's one had the SSD die or something on the pci-e bus die or both, one as a result of the other. I tried switching the internal cables and hooking the secondary M.2 slot that the ebay one came with into the client's laptop as well, with the plan being to try to boot it from a B-Key M.2 SSD in that secondary M.2 slot as a last resort, but it doesn't see that either.

I suspect the ebay one killed some component on the mainboard when the original screen broke. Someone replaced the screen later and did a really bad job of it, marring up the case and whatnot, but the touchscreen issue seems to be on the mainboard and not the touch controller board, oddly. Maybe it killed the internal usb hub or whatever hardware is used for that. Anyway, the problem travels with the mainboard to the good touch screen hardware of the client's machine.

Since both laptops have a mainboard with some onboard problem, there's no real way to get a perfectly working laptop from the two of them. If we'd have purchased a mainboard the client's one would probably be fine, but I don't think they're going to do that.

Perhaps HP only made these leather folio laptops for one year because they had some design flaws, or they didn't sell well, or they overheated. I don't know what killed the client's disk but it shipped with a Samsung PM981 NVMe disk which are usually alright. The CPU is a i7-8500Y which is a super cut down dual core with HT with a 5W TDP because there's no fan in the laptop.

Do you do component level work at all?

A lot of times for HP machines, the schematics get released after a year. You can try searching for the board number + schematics in Google. The board number is printed on the silkscreen usually, and for Folio machines is usually in a LA-XXXX format. You really shouldn't waste time on this thing but if you want to anyway you can pm me.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

down1nit posted:

Do you do component level work at all?

A lot of times for HP machines, the schematics get released after a year. You can try searching for the board number + schematics in Google. The board number is printed on the silkscreen usually, and for Folio machines is usually in a LA-XXXX format. You really shouldn't waste time on this thing but if you want to anyway you can pm me.

No, I don't really have the equipment or experience for doing repairs on the pcb itself. I've watched a lot of microsoldering and electronics board repair videos on youtube and it seems neat but I can't really get in there with my pinecil soldering iron and cheap microscope webcam thing (it's one of the like $30 ones). I did solder the pins back on the connector I broke disassembling it but they mostly pulled away from the solder on the pads cleanly so it was just kind of getting flux in there and a little dab of new solder and then of course the customary removing of the accidentally bridged pins. If I feel like getting more into it I'll send you a PM, but I will likely leave this stuff alone unless the client leaves their laptop with me to take to e-waste in which case I'd probably consider messing with it more.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Raymond T. Racing posted:

InMail pricing is different depending on your plan, and usually recruiters are using the recruiter plan anyway
Does it still cost per message then?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pissing me off: People who seem to be dead set on typing as few words as humanly possible, leaving what they want/need extremely ambiguous

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

klosterdev posted:

Pissing me off: People who seem to be dead set on typing as few words as humanly possible, leaving what they want/need extremely ambiguous

Why write words when word works?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Arquinsiel posted:

Does it still cost per message then?

Think so, but LinkedIn recruiter gives like a bunch a month

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
Had a user call me today - locked out of their account. No bother, just use the self service account unlock I enrolled you all in recently.
Another user calls - locked out. Strange, but use the self service tool.
Yet another - also locked out. Okay this is getting weird.
Check the event logs for the DC - find the account lockout entries. Seems to be coming from the firewall.
Open up the traffic monitor - constant connection attempts on the SSL VPN with non-VPN usernames and random passwords.

Oh poo poo.

Disable the SSL VPN to have some time to think. Surely there is an option in the firewall config to IP block invalid auth attempts before they lock the AD account out?
Cannot find it so raise a ticket with the firewall vendor.

Nope, sorry. That feature doesn't exist.

Oh well, SSL VPN stays disabled until Directors spring for the VPN MFA I asked for, or let me buy some hardware to give remote users site-to-site VPN capabilities.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that a SonicWall?

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

Thanks Ants posted:

Is that a SonicWall?

Nah Watchguard

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

klosterdev posted:

Some of us are unix type admins and have it ingrained that fewer keystrokes is always better.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
That's fair but you don't suddenly revert to a baboon when trying to communicate with someone else whenever you have an issue or something to explain (at least I'd hope you don't???)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Reoxygenation posted:

That's fair but you don't suddenly revert to a baboon when trying to communicate with someone else whenever you have an issue or something to explain (at least I'd hope you don't???)

It was mostly meant as a joke, I personally have an absurd ability to be concise while still conveying information.

Its still about minimizing keystrokes, but its still effective communication

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Its still about minimizing keystrokes, but its still effective communication

After all, you only have so many keystrokes left.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I hate that so much lol

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Also trying to communicate with people who will only read and respond to the first line of the email.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

That is amazing. I need to start saving my keystrokes.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Half you working day typing at full speed?

Nah

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm being roped into dealing with AI stuff and I'm mad about it. Waste of loving time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there any way to absorb as much money as possible on training while giving you an easy few weeks away from normal work?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Probably, but then after that I have to talk about, work with, and "sell" AI. I'm not sure it's worth the tradeoff.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Internet Explorer posted:

Probably, but then after that I have to talk about, work with, and "sell" AI. I'm not sure it's worth the tradeoff.

Sounds like somebody above you on the org chart has already been sold on it. Making you the scapegoat for the inevitable anger?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jokes on them I don't care

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Have the AI develop your "sales"pitch for you.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

yeah! make the AI write the plan about how to implement AI

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I wonder if I could deepfake myself so it did video and audio.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Internet Explorer posted:

A former colleague is using AI exactly as instructed and when he gets shat on in code review for what it produces he just asks if the guy forcing them to use AI wants them to stop trusting it. Zero effort trolling.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

^ I love a bit of malicious compliance.

Today I attended a meeting where the meeting organiser didn't know what they wanted to discuss. I'm going to start declining requests that come in without an agenda.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanks Ants posted:

Today I attended a meeting where the meeting organiser didn't know what they wanted to discuss. I'm going to start declining requests that come in without an agenda.

This is the way.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Sending off an application and not half an hour later I get an answer "What salary do you expect?" Guys, stop hiring the cheapest people. :( Also it depends on a lot of factors, like how many hours do you even want me there.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Arquinsiel posted:

A former colleague is using AI exactly as instructed and when he gets shat on in code review for what it produces he just asks if the guy forcing them to use AI wants them to stop trusting it. Zero effort trolling.

The latest version of a development IDE we use has just added a toolbar button labeled "AI Assistant". There's multiple meetings going on about how to enable it and if entering our source code snippets into it is legal under GDPR.

Meanwhile I just right-clicked the sucker and picked 'hide this'. :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
For source code don't worry about GDPR, worry about the AI using you code to train their model and violating copyright.

Happy Litterbox posted:

Sending off an application and not half an hour later I get an answer "What salary do you expect?" Guys, stop hiring the cheapest people. :( Also it depends on a lot of factors, like how many hours do you even want me there.
I had that dance a couple of weeks back and ended up just ignoring the recruiter. Turns out they didn't need it and put me forward anyway, but didn't tell me. I was very confused when some rando yank company demanded I give them an interview time in the next five days to start the 6-7 stage multi-week process with them.

So of course I told 'em I'm on holidays and have poo poo internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

[...]I had that dance a couple of weeks back and ended up just ignoring the recruiter. Turns out they didn't need it and put me forward anyway, but didn't tell me. I was very confused when some rando yank company demanded I give them an interview time in the next five days to start the 6-7 stage multi-week process with them.

So of course I told 'em I'm on holidays and have poo poo internet.
Wasn't even a recruiter. Was a direct application, which over here in Germany is way more common than going the way via recruiters. So it was HR of the company I applied at. Even tried the song of dance of saying that depends. But alas they want that number so I undersell myself (again).

Man another thing that pisses me of is actually the entire process of writing an application in Germany. It starts off with you better have a sexy(?) photo of yourself right at the top so they can filter out people whose look they don't like or dare to wear a headscarf. Followed by a whole page of writing about how you are the perfect fit for the company. In your CV it's not important what you actually did at your former jobs so it's never mentioned but you better not have any gaps. Also list your marital status and if you have kids there so they can filter out single moms. It is also customary to add all the reference letters of former employers, where they rate how well you did your work for em. So leaving a single employer on bad terms fucks over your entire career. It's all so archaic, pro business, in parts even illegal - but who cares - and I hate it.

At least businesses stopped requiring the expensive variant of snail mail and accept emails these days. Grudgingly.

Happy Litterbox fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 21, 2024