Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

MrMoo posted:

LibreOffice supports Visio files pretty well now too.

Unsurprisingly SmartDraw does not have a book license, the same as Visio, your boss is breaking the license agreement and needs purchase one for every user that accesses the software.

http://www.smartdraw.com/support/smartdraw-perpetual-license.pdf

I love how for some people licensing software means doing the absolute minimum to get the installer and the keys and not have the software yell at you every 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

tomapot posted:

I was at a IT management seminar today at NY Interop, one of the attendees was bitching about funding at the university IT shop he ran. Fess up which one of you was it?

Haha, our network admin is there this week (and I have no idea why).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Agrikk posted:

Just as long as you give AD time to replicate changes between steps you'll be fine.

I did a migration like this in a hurry one time and things got a little hinky for a while because I didn't give AD enough time to propagate the "delete old server info" step before the "create new server as old server name" step.

Replication finally sorted itself out after a little bit, but during that time there were authenticated user access issues.

code:
repadmin /syncall

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I haven't deleted an email (other than automated alerts) so I've got 6 years of email. Gmail shows me as having 92k messages, and that takes up 1.11GB of space.

I literally don't know how I could function if email got deleted after 90 days. There's so much policy and procedure that lives exclusivly in email, if I wasn't able to look any of that up I think the whole organization would just fall over.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

I agree with that part, but the 'brick wall' in play is how BYOD often entails giving users an allowance or reimbursement for the device they want to use for work. So really, you're sanctioning the introduction of these devices to the environment while limiting the scope of support. As a result, you've got IT stonewalling users and citing policy as soon as they discover a problem is client-side, even though the company kinda sorta paid for the device. There is no amount of written policy in the world that will keep IT from caving and supporting those consumer-grade devices eventually.

Here's what really baffles, me though: I don't understand the logic behind handing a personal device setup sheet to Joe Sixpack and sending him off to buy a poo poo Compaq at Best Buy. Why am I doing that, when I can buy a pallet of Probooks at predictable bulk pricing with predictable useful life, and stage them all with a known-good config with a few mouseclicks? Where is the cost-savings with BYOD? Where is the labor savings?

I like to rant about this a lot, because I work at a University and BYOD in some capacity is huge (because students are already bringing their own devices). And then I get all philosophical.

When IT manages a computer, I believe there is an implicit social contract that says IT is taking care of updates and installing the software you need and generally managing the machine, in exchange for the user not being able to manage the machine. There's a tradeoff. We take away some power from the user on their machine in order to manage that machine for them. It's a two way street, and there be dragons if you go too far down in one direction. On one end you have the BOFH that won't actually mange the machines or install software, which prevents the person from doing their work, which is the whole reason they have that computer in the first place. But on the other end, it becomes cost prohibitive to give the same level of service to a machine when you don't know what's been done to that machine. The social contract has been broken.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Putty is an SCP client, you can't make a connect from another computer to Putty. So if you remember logging onto a device and making an SCP connection to your computer running Putty, you're misremembering. You can use Putty to connect to an SCP server and pull the data over, but you can't make an SCP connect to Putty and push the data.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm 27 and don't get Vine or Pinterest, but I do get Twitter.

But I can create a Vine or Pinterest account and figure out how to use it, meanwhile my wife of the same age can't even handle Twitter, or really anything that isn't Word and Facebook.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Paladine_PSoT posted:

So are we doing a SH/SC secret santa?

Couldn't we all just buy ourselves a nice bottle of booze and save the postage?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

nitrogen posted:

Customer logic:

Customer did not want us to source redhat cluster for them. They said they would provide the software and entitlements themselves. Contract states this.

Contract was signed.

The customer is now FURIOUS that I am asking them to provide their entitlements so I can install this software.

"Why in fact, no, I do NOT trust you."

My favorite part of being caught in this is the disparity between the banality of the request and the rage of the recipient. Like, I'm just trying to do my job like it says here, I have no idea why you're freaking out at me.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well clearly iOS and Android. That was easy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I think a rack lost power, and with it brought down our web server and mail server. Since we have almost no monitoring I ended up having to just stumble into it before I called the on-call person to let them know.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And yeah, it's purely for software that's licensed per CPU rather than per core.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My boss was confused in a meeting this morning about how the local profile on his laptop which isn't on any domain had nothing to do with his domain profile.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Helushune posted:

What does your company use for antivirus? We're currently using Sophos but I'm pulling my hair out because it thinks that everything is some sort of trojan bent on taking over your computer. It's blocking WSUS and pushing packages over SCOM/Systems Manager from working. It's even been blocking Windows 7 SP1 and any updates to the Sophos program itself, constantly claiming everything's a trojan. I can't believe we pay a subscription fee to keep this thing around. :psyduck:

Are you on System Center 2012? If so you've already got Microsoft Endpoint, just use that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
System Center is licensed as a single product in 2012, if you have any component you've got them all. So see if there's anything in there you want to start leveraging. That goes for everybody.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Gonna be 25 below, half the state is shutdown tomorrow, including my office!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I work at a University. One my coworkers wears jorts in the summer, and the same blue button up work shirt every single day (I assume he has many).

When I interviewed for my first job here as a student, the person that interviewed me was wearing sweatpants and a hyper color t-shirt.

There are a large portion of people that work here that look like axe murderers.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Isn't it better ergonomically to be looking down at your monitor, rather than up?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I currently have... 42.75 sick days. They never expire and I don't get sick much so they just sit there accumulating. I should really be sick more, because if I get a promotion they all just vanish.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think if I accumulate something like 400 hours then for every hour of sick time I earn, a quarter of it goes to vacation and 3/4 goes to sick. Then I think at 600 it's half and half, and at 800 3/4 of each sick hour go to vacation and only 1/4 goes to sick.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You can now email your Google+ contacts without knowing their email, that's it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Look at all these chumps not eating the Dannon Light & Fit 6oz 4 pack.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I had nearly zero problems with my 8>8.1 upgrade. I had to reinstall AnyConnect, but I think that's it. 8.1 is agood OS, I'd give it a chance.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Maybe you should lie down? Are you getting a fever?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

stevewm posted:

Wow....

Trying to price out some new business desktop machines. I really like Lenovo's "tiny" (m72 Tiny/m73 Tiny) series ultra SFF machines so I went directly to Lenovo SMB sales to see what kind of deals they could do. Never had dealt with them directly up until now. The prices they came back with are on average $60 higher than most retail websites, for the exact same models, with no other perks such as longer warranty, etc..

I wish Dell had something more like it...

The Dell Optiplex 9020 has an USFF option :confused:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

CitizenKain posted:

Thats good to know about those RS-232 adapters. The new laptops we are likely to get don't have serial ports. Its not like we should order laptops to fit different needs of a group, one laptop works for everyone, right?

There's like zero laptops that have com ports anymore.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, Scrum is stupid for a help desk. Unless they want you working on other projects and don't know that 100% of your time is taken up with help desk?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also, I'm trying to implement a Kanban system to manage projects at work, so any advice (beyond "Abandon all hope ye who enter) would be appreciated.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I googled it, it looks like the stupidest poo poo. Imagine if you had a twitter for everybody in your company, and everybody had to follow it, and the CIO could ask for the status of a project on your stupid internal twitter.

According to their site, 79% of companies use Enterprise Social Networks, there's a potential for a 25% productivity increase, and 90% of executives see value in it, so of course it's totally worthless.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also, you would have gotten the bonus if you took more sick days?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

jim truds posted:

One of my coworkers who makes the same amount as me is functionally illiterate.

I think my IT director is becoming senile.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Inspector_666 posted:

They haven't.

I looked on bog standard dell.com, and I couldn't configure anything, but I can customize to hearts content on my Premier site. So the moral of the story is don't order from dell.com like a plebian.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm coming to the slow realization that my boss thinks troubleshooting is just a jar you fill up. Once you've "troubleshooted" enough, the jar is full and a solution appears. Even if in the course of troubleshooting you find out that you just can't do that, he still wants you to fill the jar.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
He does this with all manners of problems, just just help desk level problems. It's super weird, but it fits with his general idea of any problem being able to be solved by just adding more people to it, regardless of their skill level.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Some people have Macs and we wish they didn't have Macs but because politics they can get all the funny money in the world to buy Macs. But now they want Creative Cloud and that's actually a useful purchase for that group so because it's useful it comes out of our budget rather than their pile of funny money. So we're trying to find a way to not get them Creative Cloud. But we're not allowed to push back on their Mac usage.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's because in comparison to the slobbering idiots that buy laptops, comparatively nobody wants a nice screen.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Our new infrastructure admin said that across vendors and products and even scale, $1/Gb is a good rule of thumb right now.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
One of my managers refuses to really be a manager and just uses the title as an excuse to take on even more responsibility. He never gave up any of his sysadmin duties when he got promoted. When he was just a sysadmin he was always "overworked" because he insisted on being involved in everything. Now he still insists on getting involved in all the doing, but also all the deciding as well.

It's a wonder nothing gets done.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ocall posted:

I have been tasked with researching/implementing a print limiting solution. With the size of environment ~1000 students and ~300 or so staff it doesn't seem to really be worth the investment. It just seems crazy to spend a bunch of time and money without being able to quantify how much "print waste" is really costing the college.

I have voiced my objections but it seems this has a hell of lot of support from upper management.

We had print limiting setup a few years ago. In the five years it was running there was not a single request for usage reports for staff or students. All it did was create a huge influx of tickets at the start of the semester.

Get Papercut, the license for something that size won't be too much money, and it's pretty easy to setup. Won't be too much skin off your teeth, and it can just run in the background forever being useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We've got an install in our labs for about 15k students (we actually do limit their printing) and it's a dream.