Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Weatherman posted:

You're disqualifying 99% of the candidates because only undesirable candidates are applying to the position because good candidates aren't applying to the position because you're not offering enough money to make it worth their while!

If there's lovely-entry-level position 1 at The Fool Inc. for 25 grand, and lovely-entry-level positions 2 through 10 at a bunch of other places for around 40 grand, and I need a lovely entry-level position, guess which one I'm not going to bother applying for?

The people who are applying are the ones who got rejected from the $40k positions. hth

To be fair, I'm pretty sure The Fool works in Fairbanks Alaska which is not exactly flush with entry level jobs or entry level employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
You could try that horrible thing where you make a usb stick that presents itself as a usb DVD drive. http://www.allarghiamoci.it/usbcdrom/ I was looking into this when trying to install a rocks cluster on a server but I never figured out how to do this.

Sibling of TB fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 3, 2017

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Sorry, but that is a setup and punchline joke right? I can't tell if there is an actual poo poo sewing machine or not.

Edit: Took me too long to figure out https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3216686

Sibling of TB fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 19, 2017

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I read it as 4 at first, but dear god, if it's 6? Those parents must have hated brevity.

They just could not agree on first, middle or last name.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I mean, it's a bit like Alaska in that everything is more expensive because it has to be shipped or flown in (unless its grown there, may be time to go full farmer's market).

Also mile high - once an eon tsunamis. And I think there's 3 broad categories of residents from what I heard that get different levels of respect (like Native Hawaiian, long term resident, and newcomer)

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
It was their own German Shepard. I don't think beating then will help.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I've got a coworker that keeps leaving religious materials around the office for people to have. I keep shuffling it to the circular file as soon as I see it.

He also keeps trying to have us have his chiropractor in for a lunch and learn.

This sounds like a guy at my work who left a few years ago to work at hp, especially the lunch and learn thing.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

The Fool posted:

March: Let's set up a remote site so we can print checks in the event there is a covid case in our main building
Early June: No-one is using the remote site, bring the equipment back so payroll doesn't have to go to another floor to print checks
Late June: COVID CASE BUILDING SHUTDOWN
July 1st: CAN'T DO PAYROLL WHY ISN'T THE REMOTE SITE READY

Wait, you're Fairbanks Alaska right? Goodness, which of the three businesses has covid in the building?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
When you said a reboot of the server fixed it, my first thought was that it made the call drop so the trapped engineers could finally leave.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

Lol they did it again last night

This was the one where "crashing" meant something physical and literal right?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Just a running summary, AI meeting notes would be nice. But I don't really want that to be a real thing because I bet it would lead to meetings being worse somehow , maybe just for myself.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

zokie posted:

How could a system developed to track if people are at their computer or not that is running continuously not be an invasion of privacy? A non-program analog would literally be someone standing there just looking at you.

And your right to privacy isn’t something that just disappears at work.

That's the thing though. In our hellscape US there are jobs where someone literally just does that.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Yeah I've developed a bit of a "gently caress you guys" attitude with respect to getting people in society sick since the pandemic. Especially if they're the employer and they're literally asking for it after being warned that I'm sick and I probably shouldn't come in and they say to come in anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Also trying to communicate with people who will only read and respond to the first line of the email.