Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

We have a couple people with Dutch last names where I work, and of course we get people that try to email them but can't get someones email address right even if they are typing it from a business card or sales flyer.

You end up with a name like 'Dave Graaf'

The guy then calls in to complain he's not getting all the emails he should. I take a look at the logs, and sure enough people are emailing dave.graff, dave.graf, poo poo like that. Either doubling the wrong letter or not doubling the right letter, because they don't speak freaky-deaky Dutch.

The question becomes "Well can't you just make dave.graff forward the email to dave.graaf?"

At first thought it's a fairly reasonable request assuming your email aliases are free. But it doesn't fix the problem.

What do you do?

Yeah, Graaf is really difficult to spell. Just wait until they have to write monstrosities like 'de Boer' or 'van Dijk'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If it's rotated every two weeks, that's manageable. But I hope you're getting some drat good compensation for those hours (especially the night shift).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

~*~ the cloud ~*~

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

They can just bash F1. Seriously, the Office help is pretty great.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I just give them a list. Like, literally, I do Get-SCVirtualMachine * | Export-CSV BS.csv and wish them good luck.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

We're still going to use Paychex, just not the timeclock portion. :psyduck:

Here's what the new program looks like

The instruction book has screenshots from Windows 98

I need this.

(Change Job)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I don't get the Lync hatred.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

eithedog posted:

poo poo pissing me off today: Stack Overflow.

Ok, I don't know why something happens, I think it's a bug. I write the question. I explain the issues, say what happens, say what should happen. I again explain the issue step by step to clear any confusions. I post.
(The issue deals with redirects, which is kind of important)

First comment - can you provide a fiddle. (no, I cannot, because it deals with redirects, which none of fiddle sites can support)
Second comment - completely missing the point, asking questions that don't matter to the question.

I reexplain the issue, add examples which you can use on your own machine.

Next comment - again missing the point. I basically retype a comment I've made earlier.
And next comment - writes nosense.

First answer appears (by the author of last comment) - completely misunderstands the issue, writes nonsense.
I again reexplain the issue. For the fourth time I retype the same thing. I write what I've written in the OP and how to use the examples.

The answer gets changed and basically says - "that's how it works, happens because of foo, you won't be able to change it; this is how you can circumvent that". Sounds believable.

Feeling interested though I go into the source code and after two hours of debugging find the place where the issue occurs (not at foo), create a patch.

I hope you posted the patch on Stack Overflow.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You should check if your gas spreading thingies have dampeners so that your hard disks aren't gonna get busted. That happened in our data centre this year (just for the SAN, oddly)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

They're in my Sent Items, not Drafts :kheldragar:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I like SCOM :shobon:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I have a 840g1 and it's pretty good. Too bad the display sucks.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

sfwarlock posted:

The tech then mentioned that perhaps he wasn't the incompetent person in the room, to which he was invited to depart the premises immediately and permanently.

:drat:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

incoherent posted:

Thats pretty dope.

One must now ask: How do you get 24Tbps from one site to another?

A lot of cables.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

moosepoop posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: It is Friday (the 13th heh) and I look forward to leave early and have a nice dinner out with my significant other.
In comes 2 server changes that I know will take hours and hours which needs to be done after office hours. :smithicide:

Don't do big changes on a Friday.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

Windows admins: Do any of you actually use InTune? I want to know if this poo poo is actually being used in the field or if it's basically just padding in 70-688.

We use it for mobile device management, mostly. It's pretty neat and really cut down on the amount of calls we receive for locked accounts due to bad passwords on mobile devices (which are automagically updated now).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/19/superfish_lenovo_spyware/

gently caress me. Guys, let's install a generic root certificate on all laptops to inject adware into our users' browsers!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MJBuddy posted:

So enjoy being moist all day.

:quagmire:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The punchline might arrive before the joke.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Do you know what the problem with UDP jokes is?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I announced I'm quitting a month ago.
My boss announced he's quitting next month.
And now another senior colleague announced he's quitting next month too.

That's 3 out of 8 people in my team leaving. I wonder whether any bells are gonna start ringing? Probably not.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

all of the above

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Troublemakers.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We just eat at the office and have an unspoken agreement that we do not even remotely mention anything work-related during lunch. It works well.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

Nobody asked, but one of my favorite bring-to-work lunches is Dragon Noodles.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/08/spicy-noodles/

Add some chunks of chicken (big fan of supermarket whole rotisserie chickens for this), dump it into a microwave-safe tupperware, good to go. Great alternative to the same old sandwiches (also, I wouldn't call it as spicy as she does, but it's so easy to tweak the heat just by adjusting the amount of red pepper flake you use). Takes literally 10 minutes to make, refrigerates just fine overnight.

Serious Eats has some great "instant" noodles recipes. They're all pretty great (and healthy).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sickening posted:

Honestly people are honestly caring too much about interns lately. Would you prefer he browse whatever wants on IE instead? This seems like a silly non issue.

If the intern gets it, why can't I?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hey 50 new posts, something hilarious or terrible must've happened

Oh it's just loving CF humblebragging and people taking the bait

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I don't know what I hate more, some guy wrecking the paper tray on a printer on Friday morning, or replacing the printer and then noticing an application is hardcoded to send jobs to that printer. Fun times! gently caress printers. gently caress people. gently caress programmers.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah and you misspelled resources!!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

We got into a discussion one time about dates. He wants things labeled 1-2015.xls and I told him to you need to do it 2015-01.xls

I said if you mix more than one year you'll get all the months clumped together. I also told him you need to pad the single digit years with zeroes.

He told me I was out of my mind. I tried to explain how most logging software etc generates filenames. He didn't care. He also said there has to be a 'better way' to sort file names so it worked HIS WAY.

ISO 8601 :swoon:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

OAquinas posted:

You know, getting in a tizzy and ranting over folder structures may be a bit extreme, but I can damned well see where he's coming from. Too often I run into "path too long" errors on the remote file servers because the field personnel feel compelled to write the next goddamned american novel for file/folder names. Standards have their place.

That's nice, but he doesn't want more than 12 files per folder and that just means it's gonna be more and more folders.

e: My manager is a small town conservative idiot, who thinks money and aid shouldn't be sent to Nepal because they should just work harder. Also, African refugees should be shot in the Mediterranean

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Had an old job where people would add !!!!! to their files to get them up at the top of the folder in network shares. Finally a co-worker got pissy enough about it that he wrote some script that moved any file with an exclamation point in it to some folder called zzzzzz. What a poo poo storm that caused.

Should've used ÿ

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

A3th3r posted:

interesting conversation here but does anyone else remember the time when everything was LAN cables? Like your standard WLAN Ethernet cable was literally the ONLY way to connect to the internet or connect to other computers. Not actually that long ago now that I think about it.. about 2 laptops ago or so that was pretty much standard. And WiFi-enabled routers were expensive, new gadgets that few people had.

WLAN ethernet cable? With just the shielding, right :v:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

A USB Power Delivery port can deliver 100W (5A 20V).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This. Powershell is awesome and incredibly useful, but there are some things that are just easier for me to do through RDP on to the machine. This might be sacrilege even but if I only have to edit or create one or two users in AD and exchange I don't use Powershell. Please forgive me!

Isn't creating a user a thing you do pretty regularly and worth scripting?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

At my last job I worked from 10:30 to 19:00 but had a 1.5h commute. Now I work from 7:30 to 16:00 and I have a 15m commute.

I miss the old days.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Faxes and printers are pissing me off. loving ancient voodoo. We can see all the faxes sent and received and for all of them I'm just thinking "Why the gently caress didn't you just send an e-mail?"

Not pissing me off: The stack of new switches to replace our old switches (EOL 2012). Time to actually document our environment!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

Using Sharepoint as a AS/400 front end is a great idea!

Jesus Christ don't say it out loud or they'll get ideas

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

EoRaptor posted:

I found that was a universal thing with Xerox techs. I finally came to the conclusion that they do it deliberately so they are left alone when onsite.

I hate being watched when I work, but I cannot leave you alone in an otherwise secured area, so get used to it, tech person.

Xerox could probably be a little stronger with any messages to employees about appearance reflecting on the company.

All the Xerox techs at my old place looked like ex-cons. Probably were.

e: Hell, if I had to work with printers all day, I'd end up in jail too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Want to test if that lovely web app is gonna work in the new version(s) of Internet Explorer? Now you can just spin up a VM: http://dev.modern.ie/tools/vms/windows/