Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
poo poo that pisses me off: people that don't understand the term "Front-loaded development." Look, I know you want something done next week, but I can do it in a day if I spend two days to set the tools up properly, instead of trying to brute-force my way through code with notepad for a week. Then they set up meetings to try to "call me" on how I'm not delivering results, pushing it back even further. Woop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Dradien posted:

It really pisses me off when lovely webapps take over standard browser shortcuts. When I want a new tab, I push Control-T, and start typing away; well, normally. This application we use at work uses that (and a whole host of other commands) for some in-application toggles and it bugs me when I go to open a new tab or whatever, start typing away, and nothing happens.

I know it's something I should adapt to, but goddamn is it ever annoying.

I'm looking at you, Google search and the Backspace key to go back a page. No, I don't want to backspace my perfectly good search query. It's not just focus stealing either - click on the whitespace in the page to take focus off the entry box, then hit backspace. Focus will jump to the search box.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Guesticles posted:

I sort of see where they're coming from. You can't say employee because they might be a contractor. But you'd think they could find a better word than resource.

If only there was a word that could be used to describe another human being in a very general manner. Let me try.

"Let's get a network person on the phone."

Other words that describe their duties may also be used:

"Let's get a network administrator on the phone."

Either way, there is no excuse ever to use "resource", and it really is amazingly dehumanizing. It is flat out saying "You're not worth anything, and I only tolerate you because you make me money." I may be biased, though, because I am a "vendor resource" (at least until :yotj: kicks in).

Rhymenoserous posted:

This is not actually a cool or "good" thing. All it would take is a couple of people to have been lazy at some point and your ACL's look like someone just threw a company directory at your monitor.

I can only hope "good" and "cool" were sarcastic in that context.

Content: The poo poo that pisses me off today (and every day) is deescalating emergencies. I get frantic emails/calls asking for something to be done/changed, I ask for more information, get nothing back for a few days until I follow up wondering what the heck, and get back a "Oh we didn't really need that." I don't work helpdesk or anything - I'm a sort of developer/operations person (I run what I code. I also test it. This is a recipe for success, of course. :negative:)

Urit fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 15, 2013

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
:yotj: Just finished the background check paperwork for a new job. Time to get out of this hell that is a "major cloud services provider".

poo poo that pisses me off: Crisis management. I don't mean managing crises poorly, I mean managers that create a crisis to get ANYTHING done. Everything is SEV A AFFECTING CUSTOMERS even if it's a font change on an internal web page that is used to report status.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

SolTerrasa posted:

That industry seems to be poo poo no matter where it is. When I was at Amazon I spent my first week wondering why both the IT and DevOps guys seemed so angry all the time. Then one day the power went out in Virginia (gently caress Virginia), AWS stopped working for 4 hours (in the middle of the night, of course), and everyone worked half a month of 12s to keep the world from burning down. I understood, all of a sudden.

Congrats on getting the gently caress out of your particular hellhole! Best of luck in your :yotj:.

Thanks! I hope it works out too! I've been in the Microsoft ecosystem (either MS vendor or some sort of MS partner) for the last 6 years, and the new job is for a high-end retail clothing company, so it'll definitely be a culture shock. I know exactly what you mean about the world burning. And yeah, I'm going to be DevOops at the new job - time to figure out how to explain (again) to multiple managers (who will hopefully listen this time, since it's one of the reasons they're hiring me) that no, you can't just throw "agile" at the problem and have a magical unicorn operations team who can develop code, work incidents, and also commit to timelines while having unexpected work come in daily. I could probably write a 4-page rant about "DevOps" and what it really means vs. what most managers think when they hear it.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Man, and I thought our Core Duo-based Xeon VMware servers were slow. P4? Really?

Santa better bring me some servers this year.

Avatar/Post combo of the thread right there.

What's pissing me off every day: I email a guy, he replies verbally and then never does the actions he agrees to do verbally. Then I email him the next day, he replies verbally and then never does the actions he agrees to do verbally. Then I email him the next day...

(Verbally = calls or stops by office. I've tried to get him to commit to anything in email/writing, but he won't.)

It's been a week trying to get a single AD account permissioned.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Sickening posted:

You combat this by typing out an email of your conversation as its happening as a reply to your other emails. Usually something like "Thank you for coming to my office and agreeing to do this for me today." while ccing his boss.

That's precisely what I do. It doesn't mean it's had any effect. :v:

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Negromancer posted:

Yup, still in seattle. I am now a Sr DevOps Engineer on the cloud services team.

Sup Cloud DevOops buddy :smith::respek::smith: - Microsoft instead of HP over here, but not for long thankfully.

You gotta love managers who think "DevOps" means "you get an ops team and dev team all in one!" and forget that you can't commit to software release timelines while also actively working incidents. That's what pisses me off every day.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

guppy posted:

I would have serious reservations about hiring a developer who didn't write this as a loop :haw:

Or, in VIM:
y
50p

:v:

Galler posted:

I got so much flak from the dude trying to hire me at one place because I refused to tell him how much I was making at the time (I wasn't making much but the positions weren't really comparable anyway). I just told him to make a reasonable offer and we could go from there. The offer was terrible and I turned it down but it was more than current hourly rate+1 so the strategy mostly worked.

I hate that "How much did you make last job" poo poo just as much as I hate jobs that will absolutely refuse to tell you what they're paying. I've had multiple jobs try to do that only to find out that they're paying ~60k for a position that should be making ~100k median.

Urit fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 3, 2014

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Sickening posted:

Oh devops, so efficient in theory.

Oh devops, a lovely, lovely theory that has no redeeming quality whatsoever.

"Hey, let's take a profession that needs to be focused to be effective and add constant random interruptions while also trying to hold the worker to processes that only make sense for dedicated development teams."

There is nothing good about devops, and I don't even know if it would be possible to make it good. Operations work is almost always reactively focused and you can't tell how much of it there will be in any given day. Is the SAN going to pitch a fit and take down all your servers? Is a switch going to go belly up? Is everything going to work perfectly? Are you going to be called at 4am because someone can't figure out how to log in, and screams at the poor helpdesk tech that "THE SYSTEM IS DOWN!!!"? Who knows!

Okay, now be a developer and commit to timelines and a project management methodology. Also, do your own testing! Oh, you signed off on testing you did yourself? Awesome! Documentation? Naw, I built the system, I don't need to document it! I'll just remember how it all goes together! What's that you say, we have a new guy? Oh well. Hope he literally can telepathically extract the info from the dev's head, because it sure isn't written down, and good luck getting them to share how their crusty systems are built.

Can you tell I'm working in a devops team right now?

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

evol262 posted:

Oh, man. This is so not what devops means. Paging Misogynist.

Sorry, I'm just going off of approximately 4 years of experience with "devops" teams. I know that's not the actual theoretical meaning of devops, it's just what gets implemented.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Misogynist posted:

• People in the organization are accountable to themselves.
  • People in the organization are accountable to each other.

:allears: Tell me more about these wonderlands where people are accountable for anything at all.

Serious-post edit: Got any stuff I can read about ITIL and devops that are actual serious things rather than "THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK TO DISCOVERED BY A WISCONSIN MAN TO MAKE YOUR COMPANY JUST LIKE GOOGLE: PMS HATE HIM" marketing docs? It's a pain to find anything at all that's not marketing bullshit.

Urit fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 20, 2014

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

evol262 posted:

Devops basically means "gently caress dev -> qa -> production and the associated change requests, blackbox QA testing, etc". You should do those things anyway. But I shouldn't need to read your deployment document to figure out how to ship it. You should check into source control, have an automated test suite run which rejects your code if it fails code smells, build a package, spin up a new VM which is provisioned from configuration management (or an entire virtual environment for your test database/etc), and do automated testing there. And ops/admins/devs/dbas should work together so they all know how the moving parts work and what can break. No more "works for me" or "copy this file into the web root" or whatever. Clean, reproducable results with standardized tools that the entire team knows and and owns, even if there are still individual content owners.

Want to read about devops? Read about jenkins. And gerrit. And puppet/chef/salt/ansible. And openstack/aws/powercli. And selenium. And...

Yeah, I use Chef/Jenkins every day. The problem is, my lovely organization basically views Chef as a replacement for AD Group Policy (:iiam:) and a way to run server setup scripts. They don't do any config management. Source control is treated as a roadblock, not an assistance. Code reviews are nonexistent, pull requests are auto-approved because no one has time to read the diff in Stash and understand that the commit would gently caress up performance or fill up a disk when it actually ran. Testing is done on crusty old VMs, almost no one does a fresh VM setup as a test. I'm personally all about that stuff you said. I think Volmarias hit it on the head. I just haven't run into an company that actually does any of those cool things, but they sure call what they do "devops" and that's what people think of when they hear it.

Volmarias posted:

devops isn't the reason that your company stinks, your company is the reason that your company stinks.

My rant about devops was the "poo poo that was pissing me off".

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Is this in Windows? If so they really should be doing this with Powershell's Desired State Configuration

Yes, that is :thejoke:. We're using Windows Server 2008R2/2012R2. We're using Chef to do stuff that Group Policy should be doing. Not Powershell DCM, actual Group Policy settings that exist in the base Group Policy editor. Yes, I agree Powershell DCM should be used.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
Things that are pissing me off today: Recruiters. This email I just got is prime recruiters.txt material:

"Our records show that you are an experienced IT professional with experience. This experience is relevant to one of my current openings."

I'm trying to find a job where the entirety of my team is not literally 2 generations older than I am, so I have to expose myself to lovely scummy people that inhabit monster/dice.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

I got a recruiter email the other day matching me with a six-digit salary senior Java developer position. I have no interest in dev and only know Java from taking a couple comp sci classes in college. My current job (IT/facilities/operations support guy, entry-level, small business, low cost area) just gave me a raise to $11.50 an hour.

Come on dude, did you even read my resume? :v:

e: It's actually even worse, because the recruiter in question comes by my workplace every month (for reasons unrelated to me) and has literally seen me working here. Even the worst recruiter couldn't possibly be that daft.

Yeah, I'm still constantly getting recruiters that are trying to hire me for a job at my current company. Either that or it's 3-levels deep contracting - <Company> contrating to Accenture who is contracting to Microsoft for example. It's some kind of special.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

I feel like that sort of thing could be very lucrative, at least?

You would be incorrect, except for Accenture as stated. Example: I was working directly contracted to MS once. I was being paid ~$32/hr (actually salaried). I was being charged at slightly over $150/hr to MS, as an employee ranked in my company 2 levels above my actual paid level (effectively, I was mid-level in the company and was being presented to MS as a "senior" - the ranks were more complicated than that, but it was effectively how it was phrased). gently caress consulting AND contracting forever.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Fortis posted:

SharePoint.

We are buying it, there's nothing I can do about that, and I get to be SharePoint admin, it's a big opportunity it's going to be my loving problem. :smithicide:

I'm so sorry. Prepare to drink heavi-AN UNEXPECTED ERROR HAS OCCURRED. Oops, time to rebuild the web.config. Oh, and if you value your sanity, make your developers use this and use it yourself in Powershell: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.sharepoint.administration.spwebapplication.webconfigmodifications(v=office.15).ASPX - it'll auto distribute webconfig mods to all your servers so you don't have to do it yourself, and maintain them if you add a new server. It is the single most hidden but useful admin thing in SP, I swear.

poo poo that pisses me off today: Stupid managers. "Why isn't everyone excited to use Chef to automate everything?!" Maybe because they have their job and it's not usually required to randomly learn Ruby just to script out your installs? I'm all for automation and I learned Ruby just for Chef, but I was explicitly hired to do that - I'm not some Joe Webdev that is used to working in C#/T-SQL that suddenly is given a language that is duck-typed and full of dynamic programming stuff and has a completely different syntax, doesn't work in Visual Studio, and has no intellisense unless you spend 3 weeks configuring VIM and Ctags to work exactly right.

Urit fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 11, 2014

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Fortis posted:

Sorry, something went wrong. v:shobon:v

Working on it...

Which reminds me, I can't deal with the way the latest generation of MS software tries to talk to me like it's a loving person. gently caress you, SharePoint/Windows/Office. If you're going to simulate actual human conversation, at least skip including the part where you don't know what the gently caress you're talking about and give me details about the errors :argh:

Oh yes, I hate that. I actually stopped being a SP admin just as 2013 was coming out, so I avoided most of that. The first time I installed the beta and it poo poo itself (during the initial load of Central Admin after PSConfig no less) with "Sorry, something went wrong.", it made me cringe. I term that sort of thing "Obsequious Software", and I hate it. I agree, just tell me the bloody error and give me a stack trace so I can figure out what went wrong. It's even better when a user just sends you a screenshot (in a word doc of course) of the "Sorry, something went wrong" error page.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

scroogle nmaps posted:

On a related note, if someone's sending OOO messages, and Outlook shows it, why does it still send you the message? Extra fun when it's to a huge list of people.

Because it's Exchange Server that's doing the autoresponse, not Outlook. :v:

angry armadillo posted:

I always figure anything I commit to an email could potentially get fwd anywhere so I never send emails like that. If you send one to me I will just call rather than carry on the chain

That is God's honest truth. I've sent messages that are definitely not meant for public consumption - no f-bombs, but not ~super polite corporate wording with no negativity whatsoever~ and immediately had the people I was talking about added to the thread by the person I sent it to. Then I got snipped at about how I should be ~more positive~ and not call people's ideas "horrible and a flagrant violation of our security policy".

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

GoatShaver posted:

Not sure what you mean - two are logged in currently on that particular box.

There are other ways to connect to a box besides RDP. For example, if you open up services.msc and right click the root node of the tree in the left pane, you can hit Connect to Another Computer and log into the other server to see services without actually RDPing or kicking anyone off.

Since this is a new page, time for some content:
I've been at my job 6 months, and I've been assigned nothing to do, despite asking for a project. I've been ignored by my other team members, and talked over in meetings because they know more, being 20 years older than me. They rarely say anything other than "hi" or "bye". I sit in a tiny fabric box staring at grey walls and a grey ceiling.

Why is it, now that I've given my notice to :yotj: out to somewhere (hopefully) better, do they all suddenly want my help completing their work? Is it because they want someone to blame when I'm gone? I can only assume so.

Urit fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 23, 2014

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

tango alpha delta posted:

One of our teams is using .xlsx files. No big deal, except they upload xlsx files to Sharepoint 2007, which has no loving clue what an xlsx file is. OK, so all I need to do is edit the DOCICONS.XML file and then do an IISRESET. No big deal, right? Except IISRESET is going to restart over twenty thousand Sharepoint sites, all of which are in production. A major outage because one team won't save their files as .xls. gently caress me.

IIS resets the app pool every night anyway at around 2am unless you've changed the default config because SharePoint is a memory-leaking piece of poo poo. 2 options here: recycle the app pool (this makes a new w3wp.exe process, shutting down the old one once all requests have completed) or just wait a day and see if the IIS auto-recycle is taking care of it. I've run SP for 5 years :smithicide:. At least I've escaped, though. gently caress that product so much.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

All phones suck, but ShoreTel at least seems reasonably competent. We had to pick between them and Avaya a few years ago and went Avaya, our telephony people liked the better control over phones and calling, but I guess the ShoreTels were ok for smaller setups then a full on enterprise deployment.

Phones are the second worst piece of poo poo ever (after printers of course). My office just had a ~problem~ with their poo poo Jive phones, and the support techs went in a loop of: Try replugging the phone. Try rebooting your router. Try resetting the phone to factory defaults. Try replugging the phone. Try restarting the router. They finally exited the loop by claiming that it was a router firewall issue and telling us they couldn't help any further and that we should contact Cisco, despite screenshot proof that the router firewall was off.

Real problem: They're using UDP SIP and the connection was running over a microwave wireless link with delightfully high packet loss.

gently caress phones.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

evol262 posted:

But not Java or C# or SQL any of the other managed languages where you could reasonably use char (and which are far more likely to be used for writing reports)

char(2) with the parenthesis around the 2 like that sounds more like SQL to me, especially in the context of reports.

Contextual screaming:
I'm working at a startup and I think this is the 7th time we've "pivoted" since February. These pivots mean we've gone from a company that offers a fairly cool service to one that is literally just acting as a middleman between other providers and provides almost no real service of their own. We run out of money early next year if we don't get enough customers. Also, the company has fired 4 people out of 11 and is still in the process of rehiring, during a super shaky time for any company - that first year after formation.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

:thejoke:

I can't watch Silicon Valley, it's basically my actual job. I used to not be able to laugh at Dilbert either because it was too realistic, but now it's Silicon Valley.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Ursine Asylum posted:

Maybe I'm just spending too much time around mangers nowadays but that seems like a really weird thing to lose respect for someone over.

I can see why - it's usually the phrasing that's so trite that makes me twitchy in situations like that. "Let's take this offline", "please do the needful" and referring to "resources" and "resourcing a project" are a few of the pet phrases that make me grit my teeth because they just sound so trite and awful. Why can't they just use some normal words like "Let's talk about this later"? Sure it's being picky over phrasing but it's very much an overused thing. Also "I sent you a ping" or "ping me" when talking about an IM message.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Fenrisulfr posted:

We recently acquired a number of branch offices and in one of them I'm trying to get DHCP off of the branch router (because it would fail intermittently until the router was rebooted for no reason we were ever able to determine) and onto the branch Windows 2003 server. Installing the role onto the server goes fine, until it comes time to actually set it up. The add scope wizard fails to come up, and if I try to manage DHCP via MMC it tells me Access Denied, whether from my remote workstation or from the server itself and regardless of the permissions on the account, up to and including Domain Admin. The service is running and the server is authorized in AD, and I can even see the event log signifying that, but I have no ability to configure DHCP at all.

Have any of you come across anything like this before? My Google-fu is failing me and all I can find are suggestions to authorize the server or compress the database, which is not helpful. I'm beginning to think that either my Google skills are lacking or I've somehow managed to find a problem that no one else has ever had. I've removed and reinstalled the role a half-dozen times, ditto with authorizing/deauthorizing it. At this point I'm tempted to just use this branch as a test-bed for the Windows 2003-to-2012 project that's going to need to happen this year.

You need to be a DHCP Administrator: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759157.aspx

anthonypants posted:

It just sounds like you don't have an account with the proper AD credentials?

This.

theperminator posted:

You may find that you need Enterprise Admin group membership

Only for child -> parent domains.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
Well, I got this wonderful email today:

quote:

I will be coming around later today to chat with you 1:1 about this pay cut that you've heard me mention at the daily huddle.

We are asking all employees making more than $100,000 a year to take a 20% pay cut so that we can stretch our current cash all the way out until the end of April. At the current burn rate, our current cash only lasts us through the middle of March, and even though our fund raising efforts so far are looking good, with a majority of our seed investors already committed to funding a bridge note while we continue to discuss our Series A with VC's, there's a risk that we won't have completed our fund raising efforts by that time.

Asking employees like you to make this sacrifice helps ensure that we can make it through this period without having to lay anyone off or make deeper cuts.

In return for asking you to cut your pay, we will be issuing a new options grant to employees in the amount of 6.25% of your initial options.

I recognize, however, that this may be an unacceptable hardship for some employees, and so I will be coming around to discuss this with you 1:1. If this is not something you can accept, then let me know and we'll do our best to accommodate you.

Thanks.
- Ceo McCEOerson (CEO)

This is from the guy who's been chasing investors and "strategic partnerships" like a dog chases squirrels, with about as much success. There's just no demand for this startup's product, and it shows. This place is going down hard due to a combination of poor planning, vague goals and no leadership. I'm just happy I have savings because it's not a question of if, anymore, it's when the doors shut. I've learned a ton and it was great to do that, but holy poo poo guy, this place is on fire. It was a good company but they grew too fast and just plain hosed up, with multiple "pivots" to try to fill various niches that don't actually exist.

So he comes over and does his super serious "We need to talk" thing, and the first thing that pops into my head (and directly out my mouth) is "You're supposed to buy me dinner before you gently caress me."

I still have a job but I'm basically nuking the bridges from orbit as I go. No great loss, but I've hopefully ensured my primacy in the layoff rounds that will inevitably follow. No sane interviewer, upon asking "Why did you leave your last job?" and being told "I was given a 20% pay cut", would do much more than go "Ok then!", right?

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

lampey posted:

Don't say anything bad about your previous employer. It does not give off the message you want to a potential employer.

No poo poo. I'm just saying that "I was told I have to take a 20% pay cut" is a hell of a good reason to leave a job. :v: I'm not saying anything about the employer when I say that.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
Correct - they do have to tell you and you do have to consent to the change in rate, but the lower rate can be a condition of your continued employment.

In other, completely related news, there were only 5 of 15 people at work yesterday.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Spazz posted:

Here's one thing that really sticks out...

code:
ERROR: request not found in the TrackedRequests. We might be creating and closing webs on different threads.
Full stack trace is here. It's 100% Microsoft code, so hopefully that takes the fault off us and our product. Last time we opened a ticket for this Microsoft all but told us to gently caress off, I'll be curious to see what they say now.

I've actually seen this line before (I used to be SharePoint Premier support :laffo: ) - it's totally present in the base product and what's happening is they're calling Dispose() on context.SPRequest.Web rather than doing OpenWeb(context.SPRequest.SPWeb) and disposing of the copy created off of it, then something else is trying to use the SPWeb after that.

This doesn't help you of course, but it's a testament to the quality of SharePoint that this is in the base product.

Technically you COULD be causing the problem if your product ever disposes improperly: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa973248%28v=office.12%29.aspx

code:
// Do not do this. Dispose() is automatically called on SPWeb. 
using( SPWeb web = SPControl.GetContextWeb(HttpContext.Current)) { ... }

Urit fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 13, 2015

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Agrikk posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: My CloudFormation templates actually work.

I decided to upgrade a SQL Server database in my test environment from 2012 Standard to 2014 Enterprise, and instead of all of the upgrade rigamarole I just killed the EC2 instance and the 9 attached SSD volumes and had them rebuild from CloudFormation and a pre-baked AMI. Five minutes later I'm installing SQL Server 2014 and performing a scripted restore of 2 billion rows of data from last night's backup. Now I'm kicking it and drinking tea and in 2 hours I'll be done. Assuming it all goes well (and I am jinxing the poo poo out of myself right now) the process will have taken less than three hours with a brand new server instance. Herd, not pets, folks.

This cloud/virtualization poo poo still blows my mind sometimes.

That's a wonderful feeling, isn't it? I'm trying to rebuild all my CF templates into a different tool (Terraform) because CF is awful when you want to actually do anything across 10 different "kinds" of servers where everything but 2 pieces are the same across all servers. Also I'm not sure who though JSON was an acceptable language for this, but drat some of those choices need to be re-evaluated.

Oh well, it's like everything else in AWS - it'll do 80% of what you need, but if you need that last 20% you get to completely rebuild the whole thing from scratch (see also: Elastic Beanstalk).

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Agrikk posted:

.ebextensions can burn

Our entire deployment system is based on EBExtensions right now. It's as wonderful as you might imagine.

The best part is when EB just decides not to work that day because the machine is slow. No errors, it just doesn't run the extensions at all. Bonus points if it forgets to actually configure the CF template entirely (so there's no health check), and puts the machine into service with the Default Elastic Beanstalk page.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Alighieri posted:

Today I learned that unlike MS SQL Evaluation versions, you cannot upgrade Windows Server Evaluation to full unless you do a re-install. Thanks Microsoft!

You most certainly can: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574204.aspx

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

fluppet posted:

our isp managed to swap out our static ip :(

anybody know of a quick way to search through ec2 security groups for an ip?

Yes, actually.

Powershell version:
code:
$oldIP = "123.123.123.123/32"
Get-EC2SecurityGroup | Where-Object {$_.IpPermissions | Where-Object {$_.IpRanges -contains $oldIP}}
Change the CIDR string for $oldIP to your old static IP and keep the /32 (unless you were using a netmask over a range of static IPs).

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Remove-CimInstance can't actually delete the local files unless I take ownership of the AppData folder, which is where the issue is cropping up.

EDIT: Remove-CimInstance is slow as gently caress and I have had the nagging feeling I'm going about this entirely wrong so any input you have would be welcome.

You should be able to remove ultra-long file paths by using the "UNC" style name:

del "\\?\c:\Users\someone" /s /q

Thought that worked. It doesn't.

The fastest way I've been able to do this is using robocopy of all things.

Make an empty directory, then do "robocopy emptydir bigdir /purge". Robocopy will delete everything in there as an "Extra file" regardless of path, and really quickly at that, then you can just blow away the now-empty directory.

Urit fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 24, 2015

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
The reverse of GettingFiredChat:

poo poo that pisses me off right now: Recruiters. Every company has the same script, they're all the same boring, awful style. It's like there was a Guide to Recruiting that they all read that has the same checklist. I just want a job that pays me me money, I don't care about your Machine Learning Predictive Analytics Stack to Engage The Consumer With Advertising. I can keep your servers running, I can do magic to make things set themselves up, but my god I do not care about the Vision Of The Company unless it's something actually cool like the TOR Project.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Agrikk posted:

#AgrikksSelfHelpSeminars

I know exactly what you mean, and I've worked at companies where I believed in them right up until they re-orged or "pivoted" and managed to completely lose all trust I had in them. It's always fun while it lasts. I there's only one company that I interviewed at that I walked into on my first day and said "I've made a terrible mistake" and quit 3 months later. I'm in the "right" field for Seattle since I'm in tech, but the trick right now is finding a new one that's a. not a creepy info grabber (ad companies, marketing, etc.) and b. is actually interesting (isn't someone's organic handcrafted pet food delivery startup) that will actually hire me because my skills list is fairly muddled.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

stevewm posted:

About a year ago they launched a brand new modern website. However for some reason I cannot comprehend, they built the entire thing on Sharepoint.

I can tell you why. It's because SharePoint is Access for the Web. Users can create custom schema lists (tables) and update them in a pretty UI. It has data validation, computed columns, etc. Then it starts doing what you've described once the O(n^m) complexity of how lists are implemented kicks in where n is the number of items and m is the number of joins to other lists.

Sharepoint: not even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

stevewm posted:

It is a fairly complex website. So I can only imagine the cluster gently caress of joins and lists.

This is a website that supports several thousand co-op members and likely receives thousands of hits per second. It also appears SharePoint Foundation might be in the mix as well... The sign-in page if its not working will throw a error mentioning "Sharepoint Foundation".

SharePoint Foundation is the basis of SP and then the SharePoint product (without Foundation in the name) is built on top of that, so the branding is wonderfully inconsistent between the two layers. Basically SharePoint is just DLC on top of SharePoint Foundation.

Manslaughter posted:

sharepoint is great as long as you aren't the one that has to go in and fix things when it inevitably shits itself

I was that person.