Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Where do my tax dollars even go

Large format Epson printers and MSI gaming laptops among other things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We got audited this week and it seemed like the inspectors didn't have to try and find stuff that was wrong. Unauthorized USB drives laying around, computers left unlocked, computers that none of us in IT had any record of existing and were just kinda running the building's HVAC system. I feel like we might get some poo poo that gets dropped to us that we have no control over. And instead of backfilling our 6th spot that's been open for months they're gonna not hire anyone until the contract gets rebid on.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I'm all for quitting but I'd preferably like another job lined up that pays better

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Somebody, somewhere, moved our group in McAfee and managed to cripple our entire network for 4 hours.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It's not like we enjoy putting McAfee on machines, but big Army has mandated that it be there so there it is

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

dragonshardz posted:

in my experience, mostly government orgs that balk at using bitlocker for some godawful reason

If you'd believe it, we're using both

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I bought one a while back for the same reason, cheap and lovely but gets the job done.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
AD has been so freaking slow and crashing a bunch lately it's been faster for us to just learn how to manipulate it through powershell. Yay for learning more stuff I guess

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Explorer posted:

Are you going across a VPN or WAN? ADUC isn't meant for higher latency than your normal LAN.

Doesn't seem to matter whether I'm in the office or on VPN. It's entirely possible the AD server is somewhere like Maryland but also it's just never been this bad. Maybe size has something to do with it? I think there's around 1 million users overall

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We have less than 200 that we can do things with directly, everything else is segregated to other bases. Powershell seems like the way to go at this point though, one of our sysadmins has been starting up some short classes to get us more familiar with it and show us the magic of command line

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Network goes down 2 hours into our shift. It's two levels above us so we spend the next 8 hours sitting around and telling people we have no ETA of when it'll be back up. There was little else to do and it sucked. I told my manager to just go home an hour early since I was staying to close anyway.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We used to require people to take portable oxygen bottles with them in the offhand chance we had an agent leak but that kinda went away.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We dealt with that issue too and deleting user profiles was what we also ended up doing. It was probably less than 5% of our users and it seemed to happen most often when upgrading from Office 2016 to O365

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

joebuddah posted:

After spending nearly 6 months working with a European branch of our company, to get my metrology
software translated to their language
verifying that all the lab equipment would output in metric and numbers format

they decided to stick with excel. Seems they would rather manually export all the lab equipment readings and import to excel

When I worked at Medtronic we had to take every reading and put it in excel for all our metrology measurements, then import that into Indysoft by copy paste.

Generally not so bad, though we had one item that was actually a set of items that had 3000 measurements and that one sucked

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

joebuddah posted:

Is there a reason why you couldn't directly port the measurements into Indysoft ?

I think our electronics lab could do that but we weren’t handling electronics, we had micrometers, calipers, pressure gages, force gages, pin gages, thermometers, torque wrenches, moldings, things that you have to enter all your measurements by hand.

At the time we didn’t have any templates set up either, so each time a new work order was created we’d have to enter each test point, the readings, the maximum, minimum, tolerance, and units of measure. Our workaround was excel, so we would set it up for the first year then when the item came back in the next time we could reuse the same spreadsheet and update the data

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

joebuddah posted:

Honestly most of those can be ported if they have a serial or the mitoyo cable interface.

Mitutoyo has calipers , micrometer anything that has a mitutoyo indicator should port to a multiplexor.

Imada force gauges have either micro USB or a black box thing that's allows for porting.

I ve got most gauges to port save for the cmm

That’s definitely the way forward, but most labs are notorious for being years behind in getting equipment. Up until last year our lab was still running the old General Radio capacitance bridge system before we upgraded to the significantly better Andeen-Hagerling 2700A capacitance bridge.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Throw the instrument out the window, or put in on the nearby train tracks.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It’s almost definitely an issue with the instrument. Let’s say you’re measuring some ring gauge with a Mahr ULM 600E or whatever and you want the average diameter of the hole, having one measurement be so far off will ruin any average measurement and whatever crappy software Mahr is using is the culprit.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I just got an email that I’m no longer considered a remote employee. This sucks. I take back anything good I’ve said about my current employer

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
That’s what I’ve been doing since they were having me show up every day. I was hired as remote, got a laptop, docking station, two monitors, and a decent color printer. They’ve never actually let me work from home and it seems they want to redefine my position as onsite only so they don’t have to pay for me to come in

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
In the US. All I have is the posted description which lists the position as remote

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Seems like it was an HR decision, my manager says to keep doing what we’re doing and ignore the HR thing. Would have been nice to know when the initial email was sent

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

BOOTY-ADE posted:

If you haven't already, get this in writing to CYA

He sent an email thankfully, so I’m good there.

There were definitely some panicky moments there though. I was considering running home, grabbing my remote stuff, coming back and quitting on the spot. I was looking around at jobs and ran across an opening in Sigonella for my old career field and several dozen in France and it was tempting to say gently caress it all and start planning to gtfo. I figured that was an overreaction though

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I kinda liked inventorying, I’m almost certainly in the minority. It was like a treasure hunt and gave me a break from my job. What was lovely was the government side “borrowing” our equipment then getting fussy when we wanted it back and we had no idea where it was. Buy your own drat transconductance amplifier you cheap fucks

I was glad I was also never the one in charge of it though, no thanks I don’t want to be accountable for some crappy monitor that’s been at someone’s house for two years and they live on the opposite coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I’m getting flashbacks to my last job where we had some ancient rear end HP signal analyzer that required a dot matrix printer to complete the calibration. One of those “are you kidding me, who the hell is using this?” moments