Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

An Angry Bug posted:

Our HR lady is really helpful and nice. She even has a bowl of candy on her desk. :3:

My HR lady is largely irritating but when I had all of my female employees complaining about another employee's choice of blouses, I was able to say, hey, HR lady, do the needful and the problem went away and I never had to use the words 'excessive cleavage'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

beepsandboops posted:

I'm hoping I can take over the hiring process so it doesn't take another 2 months to fill an entry-level position.

I've been doing my own job plus picking up 24 to 36 hours a week covering for a departed production supervisor since January 4th. Of 2015.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Some days I fill in for a missing production supervisor and when I get to the office, the PC will have the last four people that used it still logged in, several with many programs still open. The computer runs like a pig, so I'm in the habit of rebooting the thing at the start of the day. If they have unsaved work on there, gently caress em' for having bad work habits.

Last week, when I rebooted the the PC it tried to install some windows updates, rebooted, and then locked up on reboot and said there was a fatal error or something and wanted the windows install disk. I called the IT guy, he came and did some stuff, and it worked again. NBD, I thought.

I found out two days ago that after that the IT guy was up in the plant manager's office raising hell and saying there's no reason for anyone to be rebooting PCs and if I don't stop I may ruin a PC and they'll have to drop another 3K to the MSP to replace it.

So it's me, I'm the poo poo pissing someone off.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

Holy moly, if there's one thing that would make me YotJ out of here immediately, it's going somewhere with beer Fridays. Four years ago my department went out for a bowling + beers afternoon and someone in another department found out and loving tattled on us to a VP and welp that was the last time anything fun like that happened.

My office apparently used to all go out together after work on Fridays until the former HR flak kept getting so shithoused they got banned from the convenient bar.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Our new HR lady is a marathon runner and overall fitness nazi and she changed the annual employee party from us feeding the whole factory while they're on the clock to a scavenger hunt in a public park.

On a Sunday afternoon. In July. In Arkansas.

First prize was a one year gym membership.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I suspected one of my reports was skipping a step in the written procedure so I set a sort of canary trap to catch him and then have proof to coach him but the trap caught everyone on second and third shift :psyboom:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

It's good if dealing with that isn't your problem

It's definitely my problem. Not only do I have to crack some skulls now I look like a huge doofus to my boss for having such rampant deviance.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

spog posted:

Still better than being caught out by your boss's boss.

Or the laziness causing huge financial loss/danger to life.

Bet no-one in your company will see it that way, though.

Fortunately, he took it well and praised the slyness of my trap :cheers:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

poo poo pissing me off? Random 675$ charge on my bank account this morning! Sure, my bank will hold my account for random gas purchases near my house, but a 675$ charge from a town over? No call at all!

I had a guy charge a 19.95 day spa membership to a place four states away on a CC I haven't used in months. It didn't get flagged but when he tried to PayPal someone $5000 that got Visa's attention.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
An AT&T tech has been at my house for five hours trying to restore my uverse connection. He's called in reinforcements and the engineer said he doesn't understand how it ever worked. My neighborhood was 'wired by people with their heads up their asses'

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MiniFoo posted:

Do you live in SF?

Little Rock.

Edit: 6 hours now.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Complying with the law by making affordances for lactating mothers is excellent and I will not be swayed from this view.

Absolutely, but even though my wife has hatched a couple spawn herself I'd still call it a milking station.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

CitizenKain posted:

Earlier this year the IT manager was talking about sending a pile of people down to Florida for the Splunk conference down there. The initial number was something like 5 IT admins, myself included, and 2 managers. Then a month later, they said that due to budget concerns, one person wouldn't be able to go. A week later, another person was dropped. By the end of July, the number of admins going was down to 1, but somehow both managers are still going.
Oddly enough, the conference is at Disney World and both mangers brought their SO, so for the cost of an extra plane ticket, free week vacation.

My industry has a conference every year. First year, it was in Kalamazoo, MI and boss was too busy so he flew me up. Next year, it was in Nashville, TN, so he sent me again and I didn't even get to fly. This year it's in San Diego and lo and behold he's got time to go, the plant manager has time, and the COO are going to go.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Bigass Moth posted:

At&t rep updated the ticket saying they left me a voicemail. No voicemails or missed calls to any of my provided numbers. Coil.

My MSP pulled that a few weeks ago and completely hung me out to dry. Bastards.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Our new HR lady runs marathons and her first act was to replace everything in the vending machines with granola bars and bottled water. The second act was to sell our employee data partner with a gym for discounted memberships.

Act III was to let us know our health insurance premiums are going up 50% and our Co-pays were doubling.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

She has a note taped on the chair that says "do not adjust this chair". Every time she comes in after not being here the day before she walks around the office interrogating people trying to find out who "touched her chair"

That would absolutely compel me to gently caress with that chair at every opportunity

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Moey posted:

The world is a creepy place.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Super Slash posted:

Nope, I've got a biological one which makes shrieking noises pretty close to my required wake up time.

I've got two of those, soon to be three. I haven't slept in in 4 years.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm buying a house and the lawyer everyone recommended has an AOL email address and I'm not sure if I want to do business with him.

Is the house a drug seizure? What do you need a lawyer for?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My extended family Dirty Santa with all the adult cousins has evolved into a hard liquor swap.

Meanwhile my wife's siblings just submit microbrews and we have a beer draft

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Not pissing me off: work this week.

Parking lot half empty, empty desks everywhere. Time to tinker on pet projects for three days, no interruptions!

Also the commute was loving glorious. We need a zombie plague to clear out half of humanity.

I finally go back tonight and it will be me and about 3 mechanics and 4 janitors. Probably going to watch a lot of British panel shows on youtube.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

Office furniture, of course, being an IT responsibility

The obvious solution is to replace the chair with a non adjustable one.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Yes but what if you had a fiber that went perfectly straight through the earth from Berlin to SF? You could get 4ms then, right??

Your drat math bait is not going to work this time, sir.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

One of the guys was chill about it, the other dude got into a straight up screaming match with the office manager. The biggest problem was that guy was interviewing for months, and was barely doing his job. We were pretty close friends, and I was a much senior guy, so his manager asked me a few times if everything was alright with him, and if I could talk to him. He was just coming in, sitting at his desk and playing Heartstone for weeks, and did almost zero work. He'd come in at 10:30, leave at 11:30 and say he was sick and go on a job interview. He'd also wear garbage clothes most days and then when he was "sick" he'd dress really well. It was really obvious he had one foot out the door, and he did no favors.

I'm surpised they didn't can him immediately when he gave notice. Them taking two weeks of pay was a generous compromise for how crappy he was. In the end they didn't take it, probably not worth the couple grand to deal with him suing or something.

That dude was delusional if he thinks the company owed him poo poo in that situation.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The insane battery life alone is worth that 23%. I had every Nexus, and the batteries on them were all hot garbage. The pixel I don't even plug in some nights, and it's fine. I just connect it when I get in the shower and by the time I'm out it's 100% and off I go.

You just twigged my interest.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
poo poo that's pissing me off: my S7A updated to 7.0 and now the portrait to landscape screen transition is completely hosed up with a lot of lag and misrendered screens and the Samsung keyboard has completely forgotten all my custom words.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Humphreys posted:

My boss actually uttered the words 'this place falls apart when you go on leave'. Enough people heard it including the CEO. TIme to take another week off and then ask for a raise!

One of my direct reports is a real clutch guy and I've recommended him twice for a raise.

The first time my boss shot it down because it was too close to his last annual review. The second time, 4 months later, he shot it down again, bringing up the one mistake the guy ever made about two weeks before.

Last night my report came in and turned in his notice, he's :yotj:

Gonna miss him but I can't say I blame him.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I arrived at work last night to find a condescending corrective e-mail waiting on me from

1. The guy that replaced me, that I trained, when I got moved to another department

demanding that I follow his new policy

2. That runs immediately contrary to overall company policy

to avoid a repeat of my error

3. That didn't happen

and he CC'd it to my old boss, my new boss' boss (wtf) and my assistant, all on top of requesting a frickin' read receipt, the bastard.

It was also full of grammar mistakes and a few misspellings. I was pretty hot and was about to shoot my mouth off back to him but I calmed down and decided to ignore it.

This morning I go to my usual debrief with my boss and was surprised to find his boss there, too.

I was starting to get slightly apprehensive when big boss says, did you get an email from so-and-so last night? Yep, I said. Did you respond? No, because it didn't make any sense.

Good, big boss says. I'll take care of this foolishness.

Phew!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Two years ago I got asked if i could cover nights and I declined. 18 months ago, I got told I had to start covering nights 'temporarily'. I started halfheartedly shopping my resume around. Two months ago, a daytime guy retired and they moved the new guy to days. I started interviewing like gangbusters, landed a higher paying day job and they were sincerely shocked when I turned in my notice.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Neito posted:

It's my strong opinion that ticketing systems should be used for any type of job where there are requests and outcomes. Hell, I'd set up JIRA in my house for chores if I had kids.

:eyepop: you're a genius

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
L-l-l-look at you, developer

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
You mean 'car washes', surely.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

The good news: Told my boss today that I could not go to the conference with him next month due to some conflicting plans that I had "forgotten about". He seemed fine with this.

The bad news: Conference is in Houston, and the organizers are reviewing whether they need to reschedule or relocate it. Boss is all "looks like it's all going to work out ok, you'll get to go on your trip AND the conference!".

God dammit all.

your boss can summon hurricanes?!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

Telecom saga continues...

CenturyLink installing lines tomorrow! Had to go all the way to the local engineers office before we got any result. He claims to have never received any requests for service installation internally. Once we called him, he went looking for the order himself and was able to find it. No one had bothered to send it down. He mentioned it is not the first time it has happened.

Spectrum on the other hand still doesn't know what the gently caress they are even doing. Their construction department thinks they need to bore under the road (requiring them to obtain a fuckload more permits and installation sometime in November), but the engineering department says otherwise. It has been 2 weeks and they still haven't figured this out yet.

Surely you know better by now.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
After 6 weeks in the pod at my new job I came in this morning in the middle of my boss telling 4 of our subordinates that 'hurricanes may start natural but they are being intensified and aimed with secret technology controlled by a worldwide cabal bent on subjugating the last free people on the planet'

:wtc:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

Vote Trump

gently caress yeah, I live hundreds of miles from the coast hurricanes can't get me

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm continually shocked by the number of people who 'troubleshoot' with 2 parameters changed per iteration.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Unfortunately, the distribution list had over 1000 addresses on it :cripes:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

IT professionals use the Mouse Jiggler to prevent password dialog boxes due to screensavers or sleep mode after an employee is terminated and they need to maintain access to their computer.

O rly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is me anytime a website changes. Your old website was fine, that's why I was using it. Recent example: AV Club.

God yes. The new AV club is almost unusable.