Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Sylink posted:

Thanks for the input guys, we are revamping a lot of things.

Though, you guys need to see some therapists with your hopeless negativity and assumptions about "poo poo jobs" :)

Yeah you're not helping the assumptions with a passive-aggressive response like that.

Che Delilas posted:

One more suggestion: when you ask for help and get it, maybe try expressing your gratitude in a non-backhanded fashion.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

evol262 posted:

Hi, Linux hasn't had these problems in years.

Speaking as someone who uses flavors of Debian for servers at work, the problem is rarely the OS itself, it's the packages/3PLs that inevitably get twined into other codebases with odd/outdated dependencies.

evol262 posted:

Nagios sucks, and documentation sucks, but it's better than it used to be.

"Better than it used to be" is one of those phrases that sets off my bullshit detector from at least three states away, even if it's not used in job descriptions.

evol262 posted:

(this only happens with terrible software, generally)

points to the thread title

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

flosofl posted:

So that's better than taking 5 seconds to launch it from the menu, because? Or is this just a variation on the CLI vs GUI superiority complex?

:shrug: It's not usually a question of time so much as effort, although this is coming from a mac user who's a spotlight fanatic. If I need to go digging because the index is hosed up then fine, but "the index got hosed up once" doesn't precede "therefore I should never use it" to me.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

I'm torn between telling you to get out now and wanting to hear about the sweet schadenfreude that occurs after your entire department bails.

Also I feel like this thread needs a :yotj:/:bandwagon: combo emote, possibly with a :smith: left behind.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

GOOCHY posted:

My bosses method of troubleshooting - swing the hammer, if the hammer doesn't fix it, swing it faster and harder and that will eventually fix the problem.

I use that too! It fixes it in the sense that eventually it causes a more critical problem, which is also someone else's.

Sadly, sometimes creating a more critical problem is the only way to get things fixed sometimes, since that's when you can get the budget/time to spend on it. See: backups, RAID arrays, site security.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

incoherent posted:

It's ok though. Places like Digicert emails someone at 90 60 and 30 day intervals of certificate expiration.

:catstare:

And this is why you sign up to poo poo with mailing list addresses and not personal addresses.

I ended up doing this two jobs ago retroactively, modifying the account info for every account with SCEA/SCEE/XBLA/iTunes Connect/blah, it was really great finding that some alert emails were still going into a dead letter box owned by my great-great-grand-predecessor for that position.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Well that's obviously better, but I'm pretty sure a few people here would try to take me to the gun range if I took away their Blackberry.

At this point the only thing that the iphone needs is a hard case with a decent* physical keyboard that slides out and you could probably tell people that it's the "new blackberry"

*gently caress phone sized chiclet keyboards, there are no decent ones

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Gyshall posted:

re: signature talk, I never actually print anything except emails that say "Please consider the environment before printing this email".

I used to put a reference to RFC 1149 in mine but my work emails are required to have a block of specific text in the signature. :sigh:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Got brought in on a new project yesterday, literally can't do anything with it for probably a week now because everyone previously on the project didn't know how our network topology worked and "getting a whitelisted IP to access the third-party API" is going to take awhile longer than was originally planned because we have to pull in a bunch of network guys. Whoops!

I guess it doesn't really "piss me off" since it means I'm just going to sit and read a book until it all gets figured out, but I was actually looking forward to getting some work done.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

psydude posted:

gently caress this day. Nothing is working properly and everyone won't leave me alone so I can loving fix it.

We don't pay you to fix things, we pay you to complain at you about the things not being fixed. :colbert:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

5er posted:

Never mind, don't answer that, we know that as long as your breasts are perky and your breath smells of lilacs and peppermint, you'll still hit your sales goals without knowing how half the intermediate features work.

Let's be honest here, it's a lot harder to lie with a straight face about what features your engineers can deliver if you know that features take longer to implement than it takes for you to write a bullet point sentence describing what the feature does.

:v: "You just go and feed the bullet points into the computer and it spits out a feature, right? Your job is so easy!"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Company doesn't believe in SLA's "every issues is our top priority" as you can imagine it makes for disaster.

Just means you can prioritize every manager's pet project over repairing the lovely laptops. Double points if the only place you can get replacement parts for them is ebay.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Mrit posted:

How the crap do people interviewing for senior positions not understand stuff like that? How can you manage a network without understanding(rather basic) core technologies?

Did you ever read the original FizzBuzz article? The only thing more depressing than realising that most of the people in tech jobs are completely incompetent is the realization that they're still probably getting paid more than you. Or that they have jobs in the first place, if you're unemployed.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Someone in management must have gotten on operation's poo poo, because they are now reporting everything. Eeeeeverything. I was playing along for a bit, now I'm just what the gently caress. They're reporting it at all hours too - I'm at the computer so I am responding to a few and getting shorter and shorter every time.

"Sys admins, this server is at 80% memory utilization, please advise."
"Confirming, box is using 80% of its memory."

"IT, seeing CPU pressure on X box, please advise."
"Tell it to use less CPU."

My favorite of the night was the guy who just sent me a list of server names and percentages. No context just, domain controller 72%, SQL 43%, web server 84%. What am I even supposed to do with these numbers?

Malicious compliance?

My first thought is to reply with "wow, really? that's not a problem per se but it could turn into one, you should have someone checking that every five minutes for the next three weeks"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

tango alpha delta posted:

I've been tasked to upgrade our MediaWiki from 2006. Kill me now.

Hah, I had to do that not 4 months ago. Welcome to HELL.

(It's actually not too painful, as long as your old developers kept their custom script hacks in the extensions directories. The maintenance/update.php script takes care of 90% of it, you just need to make sure you've duped your production database structure and data somewhere safe in case you need to do a rollback)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Spazz posted:

Is resignation an option when you just don't want to clean up someone else's mess? It's looking really attractive right now.

If you're going to leave anyways you may as well preface it with "You don't pay me enough for this, would you like to?"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

How do you accidentally create a DHCP Server?

Click "next" a lot without reading anything, I assume.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Next, a positive note. If you have the chance to work from home, do it.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Third, is there anything worse in the world than a person who thinks you care how they handled things at their last job?

I actually bring this up regularly whenever people complain about how "processes" are "getting in the way" of our "development". My last job used sourcesafe, sometimes*, and couldn't roll back our game engine. Instead of "We're about to ship" -> "Something broke" -> "Roll it back and ship", it was "Something broke" -> "20 hour days until the thing that is broken is fixed" -> "Ship with 2 hours of QA on the new game engine and pray".

*And by "sometimes" I mean "one person working on a codebase might occasionally remember to check stuff back in, but as soon as two people were working on it they were using the admin account to force-overwrite the sourcesafe lockout six or seven times a day to check out every file in the repository"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Sweevo posted:

And that existing installations of XP don't just stop working, or magically fill themselves with viruses just because mainstream support ended.

Magically as in actually-magically, or magically as in "I just opened this email and it started doing this"?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Sweevo posted:

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. People need to stop freaking out just because OMG the self-service checkout at the supermarket was running XP.

I went to a clothing store with my wife the other day. I was amused/horrified when the cashier was talking about their online shop and swung their PoS around to show me their website, in IE, on what appeared to be Windows 98.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Spazz posted:

From what I recall, the vector was found to be their HVAC system having an unpatched vulnerability, which shared the same network as terminals.

IIRC it wasn't even that-- it was that they gave a contractor for their HVAC system VPN access and forgot to remove it when they were done. (I can't find the article I read claiming that with a couple minutes of light googling though, so I could be mistaken).

Also they ignored a bunch of alarms that went off when they got hacked anyways.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that your HR sent that out seriously, or that everyone in this thread is doing it.

Also it'll be pretty funny if it turns out we're all skewing the results for some podunk company with 30 employees

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

wolrah posted:

Sounds like that person had at one point had a line ending problem and by basically sheer luck the editor they had at the time happened to fix it, then they cargo culted that idea from there on out.

I vaguely remember there being some issue I used to run into with some endian-like hex string appearing at the top of php pages depending on what OS/Editor it was last saved in, but I can't for the life of me remember the exact string to look it up again.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

I understand why they do it, but it annoys me that every person comes out with a positive description. There's always at least one turd that doesn't deserve the positive characterization these personality surveys give.

It's testing preferences, not motivations. A dictator who wants to save users from themselves and a dictator who's running a cronjob to kill all portable apps on a user's machine every other prime minute is still going to be rated as a dictator, so they have to at least assume that your motivations are pure.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

AAB posted:

Atla$$ian's pricing model. Whelp, goodbye half rear end apps. I will not miss you but the devs will.

They may be pricy as poo poo, but I'm a fan of the number of preexisting plugins that I don't have to deal with. And I'm not the one paying for it.

(Of course for whatever reason, with our Teamcity/Jira/Github stack, we decided to ignore 90% of the addons and hacked in a bunch of bash/perl scripts to do the same functionality but worse...)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

luminalflux posted:

There's McAfee for Ubuntu v:shobon:v

I'm picturing psDoom, but with McAfee's face and a hammer.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So beyond pissed right now. Thought I had :yotj: out of my current nightmare job. Got an offer, official offer letter, start date, etc that I accepted. AFTER that they say they need to run a background check. I think that's weird they didnt ask for that ahead of time but whatever. I have good not great credit mid 700's, and no criminal record. I did however default on a student loan. I'm in repayment for it currently but it's still a negative on my report. Now they want to rescind the offer. What are my options here? At this point I dont even think I want to work for them anymore.

Either someone in HR has a stick up their rear end, or you were about to get pulled into a mess of office politics. It really sounds like a "we need any reason we can find to prevent this team/manager from hiring people" thing.

Either way, I'd call it a bullet dodged.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I call my recruiter and get a new job, giving my notice with in the week.

Everyone is shocked I'm quitting.

The happiest possible ending.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

How on earth did that director think that was going to play out.

"Surprise! You don't really have the job and that other guy thinks he has it too! Now fight for my amusement."

Watching any number of reality TV shows regarding jobs and saying "That sounds like a fantastic way to run my department", probably.

I hope that :yotj:ing out resulted in him crying into his beer that night about not being able to pull both of you into his office to point at one of you and yell "YOU'RE FIRED" after a dramatic pause.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

vibur posted:

:science: *crumples up piece of paper and throws it in trash* Do you expect that to still be in the trash can next week?

They know how a janitor works, not a computer, what do you expect?

Odd as it sounds, though, I do have some measure of empathy for those users*, to a point (especially after dealing with shared virtual development environments and the "it may not be here tomorrow" nature of them).

*it goes without saying that the following applies only to the ignorant users, not the willfully stupid ones who ignore you when you try to inform them.

One, we typically spend days convincing users that "just because it looks like X doesn't mean it acts like X" for just about everything else, especially when it gets into nebulous "in the cloud" (ie, non-local) documents and such. If they don't know that the Recycle Bin is the exception to that rule, then it's hardly surprising when they don't treat it like one.

Two, iirc Windows previously didn't (and may or may not now) count Recycle Bin items towards the "total used hard drive space" as displayed. You would set a "maximum amount of space recycled items are allowed to take up" value, anything larger than that recycled would prompt about perma-deletion, and everything else would get deleted forever from oldest-newest as you added new items over the maximum. All it takes is one user with enough knowledge to be painful spreading around the "if you put something in the recycle bin it doesn't take up hard drive space" pseudo-knowledge to make life suck for everyone who believes them. Which ties into...

Three, I've actually had users that put stuff into Recycle Bin/Deleted Items because they were trying to be helpful, but made the critical mis-assumption that they would be notified beforehand, so they still had a safety net of "oh, trash day's coming up, better make sure I don't actually need any of that stuff". Yes, it was still pretty stupid of them, but if people know there's a safety net there, for some reason they think of it as less of a "safety net" and more of a "well I can use that as a shortcut". Which ends up being painful if they're relying on a safety net that doesn't actually exist.

I guess the upshot is the only way to really fix this across the board is to disable the Recycle Bin/Deleted Items folders and make any deletion be permanent. And then make sure you keep good backups. :v:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

anthonypants posted:

I like how the knee-jerk reaction is to blame Dell, instead of using it as evidence to your management that you need a space to work.

Possibly that too, but having your own workspace doesn't make the shrill noise less shrill.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Ahdinko posted:

Bosses boss: "We're keen to keep you Ahdinko, why are you leaving and what would it take for you to stay?"
Me: "the payrise was unjust and I feel I need more for the role, and that is my only reason for leaving."
Bosses boss: "Ok no problem, I wish you had told us before as the board pay review meetings are only monthly and your notice is 4 weeks time, but we'll see if we can rush this through for the next one and see what we can do. What figure are you looking at?"
Me: "If it starts with a £3xxxx, I'll consider staying"
Bosses Boss: "Uh, well Ahdinko, its been a pleasure working with you" *shakes hand*

I had this exact same discussion, except it was a jump from $50k to $90k. They asked what it would take to get me to stay, I told them how much I was making for switching, and they said they couldn't justify paying me more than my boss.

Spoiler alert: they underpaid everyone. My raise took me into the high-middle of "what other people with your job title make" territory.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Anyone tired of hearing me talk about how great working from home is?

"Company policy" if you work from home and are assertive enough, is anything you want to do. This, I love.

I've mentioned my companies' "do whatever you want, if you gently caress it up we're reimaging it" policy. It's pretty great if you aren't stupid, and if you are stupid you learn pretty drat fast. (Or you just don't touch anything, which still counts as a win.)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

less than three posted:

The only downside is my laptop gets swiped frequently because it's the only one that has HDMI output so is easily plugged into TVs for presentations. Lenovo needs to give up on DisplayPort already. :argh:

Oh hell no. I'd find a lovely loaner and superglue a displayport to hdmi adapter into it before I started letting people walk off with my laptop, especially for presentations, also known as "russian roulette with coffee cups".

People already treat their own property like poo poo, let alone other people's property.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

This would be my response 99 times out of 100, but he happens to be someone who is both nice and supportive of our department in general, so I'm making the small bit of effort in this case. It's going to be limited to running disk cleanup and a defrag, but that's all we can reasonably do anyway. He wanted us to reimage it. I told him that wasn't possible.

Going to return it with its performance basically the same and will strongly encourage him to please for the love of god let us order him a new Latitude. This is a University and he's a tenure professor so I don't have much weight to toss around here.

Edit: I'm mostly amazed that Bonzibuddy isn't running around and there appear to be no toolbars in sight.

I've always thought it a shame that laptop parts aren't as easily swappable as tower parts; I'd love to throw the internals of some random cheapy laptop into my old T60 case.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

spog posted:

I like that first one more than I'd admit to a person in real life.

I giggled enough that I had to explain to my wife what was so funny. There’s probably a meta-joke in there somewhere but it’s too early on a Monday for me to figure out what it is.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Swink posted:

That is how our entire staff communicate with clients.

Afaik it's a way to avoid offering up more difficult alternatives.

"I can take a message orrrrrrr I can deal with this myself

Usually correct for me, I like to call it the “implied headache”.

“So after talking about this, we can either write a piecemeal conversion script, or passive user conversion on login, or... try and convince someone in support to start manually converting accounts

Usually my implied headaches are massive compliance or qa undertakings for someone else, though. And one time someone took me up on it.

I think they still have someone manually taking ssns out of a database and manually putting them in google docs because they didn’t want to wait a week or two for a secure storage solution.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Storysmith posted:

Backstory for this, please? What in the hell?

The very short version is PCI compliance for personally identifying information. We get information from users and post it directly to a compliant 3rd-party API, but have no compliant secure local storage for it because of how our data warehousing was previously set up (it's externally secure, but too many people inside the company have access to the hosts the data is on). The interim solution is to have someone go to the API's website and copy-paste information from it into a secure Google doc.

Bob Morales posted:

This is an actual document that we send out every month. This is an actual thing that 72 year old owner of the company spends his time monitoring. This is an actual thing he flips the gently caress out over. This is an actual thing I get pulled into meetings to talk about.

This falls under the category of "poor man's CMS". The basic idea is fairly sane, especially if you're in an environment where you need documents stored for compliance but people keep storing them as "2013 receipts (1) REAL (3) updated.xlsx".

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

evol262 posted:

Which is already tokenized, right?

I'd think "probably not" because we need the real information to generate tax documentation, but since I'm just the developer I don't have access to the API's backend to look at what it's displaying. All I do know is that we're doing this and nobody's complaining about it. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

That's difficult as it's a hospital and different users use different PCs\phones during the day.

Now, common names if it's what you go by is fine but when you go by Joe and your last name is Smith and there's like 10 Joe Smith entries, that's where giving your given name becomes necessary.

If they go by Joe Smith and their given names are all Joseph, how is that any better?