Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Lum posted:

Well, only tangentially related to IT work, but definitely an IT related rant.

gently caress Virtual DJ's video encoder, gently caress it forever. It's basically impossible to make it produce an AVI that doesn't go out of sync, and it isn't even a constant drift either.

In the end I gave up and recorded the loving thing using Fraps. This still decided to eat the video after the fourth cut, but it looks good enough and I've put far too much effort into this thing already.

http://tumblr.lum.co.uk/post/62670667582/what-does-the-frog-say

This is the single most horrifyingly glorious thing I have witnessed in ages. I'm both awed and disgusted by you right now. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

skipdogg posted:

poo poo pissing me off today... no SP2 for Windows 2008R2. loving patches...so many patches.

I'm feeling this way right now about Windows 7. 400+ megs of downloads (on the first Windows Update visit) after installing from an SP1 disc.

Also, to hell with this whole Secure Boot thing. Today is the first time I've ever dealt with a new and native Win8 machine, and I had no idea how many hoops I'd have to jump through just to blast it and install 7. It really put the "F" in "UEFI". Disable this unfamiliar setting, enable that incomprehensible string of letters, and, oh! Make sure your USB installation media is formatted as FAT32...er...really? In 2013?

Definitely a learning experience. I'm sure I've mentioned in the past that I'm really, really glad I don't do this for a living anymore.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Exit Strategy posted:

No matter how much you like Matt Jeffries' industrial design, the man was not qualified to manufacture that.

He most certainly was. It's still based on tubes!

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Pissing me off today: installing Windows 7 on a computer that has one of those infernal AMD APUs. At this point, I'm convinced that every single update is doing a git pull and compiling from source. Soooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooow.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

poo poo that's pissing me off: wondering if I'm actually on the losing end of an Internet Argument™ about Windows XP. Did I miss a memo somewhere, or is it still possible to receive updates on a non-registry-modified XP Pro machine? Trying to convince someone that they need to get those computers off their goddamn business network, but they insist that they're getting security updates. Arguments to the contrary with links to the appropriate MS support pages are falling on deaf ears. Am I actually wrong here somehow?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I think there's a registry hack

Acid Reflux posted:

on a non-registry-modified XP Pro machine

Yeah, got that. :D Pretty sure they don't have anyone there savvy enough to make the change. Not a client at all, I'm not even working with computers anymore, for better or worse. Just trying to get someone I know to make an easily affordable (for them) change to two machines to bring them into this decade and eliminate the unnecessary risk. I think I'm done trying though, tired of being told I'm wrong when I'm all but certain that I'm not. Y'know, unless I am.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Thank you for the validation, everyone. I didn't think I'd missed something as important as a change to the EoL policy. I'm going to give him one more half-hearted info dump, and then just sit back and wait for him to get network herpes or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I lost it when I saw this
Holy gently caress, so did I. My son just came barreling down the stairs to see if I'd hurt myself or something.