Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

Netgear unmanaged switches are my favorite. They just work and have a sturdy design. Never want to see them at work again tho.

The little 5 port switches are pretty rock solid. To bad those things dont have an uptime counter built in. I swear I've seen some of those where the frame has been replaced by fortified spider webs and the thing was still running 5+ years continuously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've had a recruiter who placed me in my current contract to hire job, call me the last two days in a row saying that they found my resume online and have some exciting opportunities they would like to speak to me about!

What's worse are the recruiting firms who seem to have outsourced their recruiters. People calling you anywhere from 6:30AM to 8PM in thick accents trying to talk to you about some crappy job they have available.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We stagger lunches here in our IT dept so that someone is always available in office. Of course occasionally one of the guys on the network team has to run to the server room or somewhere else and a helpdesk guy might be away from his desk to assist a user. So of course one of the c-levels walks in while everyone is busy for that one particular moment and out of the office, needing help opening a power point or some bullshit in a boardroom. When I get back from my lunch, he sees me in the hallway and proceeds to ream me out for not providing adequate coverage.

So you want us to hop up and answer and walk to employees that need help but we also cant leave our offices in case you stop by? I told him I was on lunch, we stagger ours so that someone is in there and he was just unlucky when he walked in. Not sure what else he wants me to do, he just kept yammering on about always needing someone in the office.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I spent a Saturday and Sunday in the office working on stuff that can't be done during M-F, basically two whole 6+ hour days. So I asked if I could take day off in exchange a few weeks later, because I know other people flex time out.

It was approved but I was told "since I treat my salaried job like I'm an hourly employee", it wouldn't happen in the future.

I must have not stayed 2 hours late or came in 2 hours early a bunch of times lately to do things like wiring cleanup, switch moves, ISP cutovers...

My boss rolls in at 8:30 and does jack poo poo all day, then stays at his desk to 6:30 because he doesn't want to go home to his stupid family and then claims to work at home until 11:00pm every night. He's so full of poo poo.

This is the problem with taking comp time at some companies. Thankfully it's not an issue with my department but other departments within the company seem to have issues where your performance is judged by how long you stick around in the office. If you get all of your work done for the day in 7 hours you better stick around for another 3 just to keep up appearances.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Baby Town Frolics posted:

I would like to personally strangle whichever shitlord from Cisco made the Cisco ASA5590 Router. They are a thousand dollar router with a 5¢ power cord that breaks inside of the router just by looking at it wrong.

This usually means that you have to ship another router and power cord. The broken router is useless unless you can pry the broken cord bits out of the power slot. :argh:

I have dealt with this first hand and it sucks so very much. Imagine yourself in a remote Alaskan village working on one of these, the "Network closet" also serving as a janitor supply room. You turn and it knocks down a broom that hits the cord ever so slightly but still manages to break it. I had to hang around for another day and a half waiting on a replacement to be flown in.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sickening posted:

Less than a hour of work and I am done! Things went down like this....

I arrive on site and we start with a meeting between my old management and the consulting group. The tech who has failed so far tries to bring me up to speed with the issues and passive aggressively accuses me of configurations and blah blah blah. I ask for examples, he talks a lot about nothing and gives me none. We agree to work together to fix it and move on. Lots of people are amped up and appear to be at each other all day.

First of all, the firewall is a big mess of wtf. Objects are missing nat entries and someone appears to be confused on when something should be outgoing or incoming when it comes to rules. I delete them and start over. We are talking maybe 30 lines of rules and 8 nat translations for servers. Maybe 15 minutes of actual work.

It seems that nobody actually opened the documentation I had made for this whole setup. I know it was correct because that what I used to reconfigure the entire setup all over again. There was some small back and forth with the consultant about if what I was doing was correct and I pretty much ignored him. After everything was corrected , huzzah, everything worked.

I attended a small meeting after with my old management and the owner to make sure they were satisfied. I let them know that they should probably spend some resources to try and find a qualified replacement to ensure their operations. My old boss chimes in (first time he has spoken to me this trip) and asks me why my documentation wasn't better. I ask for examples of what he thought could have been better and he makes his case. A lot of what he complains about isn't documentation but instead step by step guide of networking 101. I let him know that was out of scope of what the documentation was meant for. I say that usually when you fire someone you take on some risk of losing operational knowledge. Overall the exit meeting was pretty short.

My pockets are a little fatter and I got be a little smug. Overall, would do again.

Bravo! I always loved reading your posts and was amazed when you got fired for seemingly nothing. Glad to see someone actually stick to their guns and not roll over and work for free! What an awesome way to go out. Did the guy want like an actual step by step with photo how to? I mean isnt that what you hire an IT guy for? How useless were these consultants if they couldnt just look at the firewall config and set it up correctly? Any idea on how much the company lost as a result of all of this?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Pissing me off: Users who cant remember their passwords even after we've deployed Okta single sign on to our entire sales department. They now only have to remember a 4 digit pin that remembers their logins for everything else and can't manage to do that. Pissing me off even more is that the front line techs cant seem to reset a password on their own and have to kick them up to me. Always when I'm right in the middle of something too. Then I loose my concentration and have to remember what I was right in the middle of.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Lync meetings and how complicated people make them. I hate Lync meetings with a passion. Why would we ever need to setup a meeting without an employee present? I don't know either but it's imperative that we can. Also secretaries cant setup more than one a meeting at the same time since they have to be online to allow people to conference in. Why the employees who request the secretary to schedule a meeting can't just do that themselves remains a mystery.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Got an exec assistant here that sets up all the meetings for the C-levels. They weren't happy that they couldn't just arbitrarily set up Lync meetings with (and for) whomever they wanted, whether they'd be in attendance or not.

You guessed exactly right. Execs seem to take it as a point of pride that they don't personally schedule any meeting no matter how trivial and god forbid if they are forced to interact directly with any of their direct reports.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I thought Sharepoint was slow. It pales in comparison to Service Manager. My god, you load an IR that has a huge sequential activity workflow included in it and it slows to a crawl.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Caconym posted:

Welcome to hell. Slow, stupid stupid bugs and a horrible UI.

We're on SM 9.0 and the "history" section of incidents, changes, problems, what have you is a textbox 3 lines high with a scrollbar. Because gently caress you I guess.
It's a loving web UI, there is zero reason to not expand that poo poo dynamically to fit all the text. The section itself is even collapsible if you for some wierd reason don't want to read the history of that thing you just got assigned.

"Conserving screen real estate" by making important information hard to find on a drat scrolling web page. Assholes. :argh:

And the stupid bug part. If you have your work list configured to show "My groups issues, order by asignee" like a sane person, and resolve an incindent or close a problem or task, you're redirected back to the work list. It also removes the row representing the thing you just closed. So far so good, but it doesn't update the array behind the UI, so the bottom thing in your list is now actually not assigned to you, it's the top issue assigned to the person below you. And the only way to find out is to open it and check the assignee field.

No budget left for "customization" from the highly paid HP consultants of course. So everybody just hits F2 to open the history in a separate text only window, and reflexively hit refresh every time they find themselves back at the work list.

So yeah, there are workarounds, but the mistakes are annoying, basic, amateurish and so easy to fix.

We're using 2012 version 7.1.something. I don't know that I've had as many of the annoying UI problems your running into. But we also took some time getting it up and customizing the views, which was a pain in the rear end. There's just so much that can be tweaked and changed that it can be a bit overwhelming. Have you integrated orchestrater into it at all? That is one thing I want to get up and running soon.

poo poo pissing me off. Users complaining about Lync meetings again. They just don't get how to use it and everyone wants to go back to WebEx. Cue huge departmental meetings where the mouth breathers in marketing and sales are demanding we switch back. Never mind that they bitched relentlessly about WebEx too.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Pissing me off so much today is getting WSUS to play nice with SCCM. System Center just doesnt see the updates no matter what I seem to do. How has pushing out updates somehow gotten harder?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Carpet posted:

Why do Lenovo make it so hard to find older versions of their drivers? Can't find them anywhere, and I need to try an older sound driver as we aren't getting sound out of the onboard speakers on M92p desktops.

How has your experience with them overall compared to Dell? We are about to switch to Lenovo because our Dell rep is useless and the time it takes to get the correct equipment in seems to be taking longer and longer.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

what is a "cream-rear end hell idiot" specifically?

You know, people who wear black turtle necks in summer and own and sit on uncomfortable modern furniture.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Had a fun assignment dropped in my lap today. "Oh by the way we've never really messed with wsus or updates unless we absolutely needed one. Can you go ahead and come up with a patch schedule and start approving patches to push out"?

I'm trying to remember/find a quick way to decline all the old superseded updates so at least I'm not staring down 15k updates.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sickening posted:

Are they wanting to put in actual time to test updates? If not, then don't even bother. The older stuff is pruned automatically in 2008 wsus and above. Just setup and go.

They do want me to actually test the updates. I'm coming up with a group of users I know and trust enough to be test hosts. Thankfully we're all Win 7 & 8 but I'm sure there are hundreds of updates just for those two before I even start looking at Office and Lync updates. Guess I'll just decline anything that has been superseded and start from there.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Wasn't the thing where the guy's boss wanted him to set up a projector in the middle of a field supposed to happen today? :ohdear:

Haha yes sir! Headed out in about an hour. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Well we had the outside groundbreaking event today and it was a glorious moment of "I told you so" except that it was kind of sad and disappointing to see the event suck so much for what should have been a fun event. First off the weather didn't cooperate all that much, it was windy and cloudy. As you may remember I told Admin that we would need a generator, pa system, big speakers, etc. They ignored me and then ignored the quote I got from a professional event company that does these sort of setups. What we ended up with was sad. Apparently the av setup got pushed to the back burner until the day of the event. An executive assistant came to me in a hurry requesting that I unblock an iPad to allow her to download Pandora on to it for the event. I didn't really care at this point so I did. Then she needed "any sort of speakers". We had some crummy usb powered logitechs laying around so I gave her those. I finally get to the event and here is what I see. Some crappy one speaker PA system powered by a generator! They had previously refused to get one and were totally bailed out by the catering company who just happened to have one, a super noisy commercial grade one, that they were going to use to power the heated serving trays and what not. So loud generator powering a crap PA system in the wind it sounded horrible. Plus they ended up setting up a little tent like structure to play some video from our architect on a laptop with the iPad I setup before playing Pandora over the crappy usb speakers for the sound. Overall incredibly lame cheap setup. But the food was good, and I have enough emails to cover my rear end so overall I would rate the event a success. Plus maybe next time they will actually listen to me and take my advice instead of just going around trying to find someone that will agree with them.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Might need those for the inevitable lawsuit.

I've heard of companies having 90 day storage policies for just this reason. If they are legally able to only keep 90 days they do. That way if they get subpoenaed they only have 3 months worth of data to give back. That wasnt just storage side, they forced users to adhere to that policy locally as well. I guess users could print them out if they wanted to though.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

So my company got bought out near the beginning of the year, and we all became employees of the parent company back in April. Our IT department was small. About 5 people including myself. My boss quit, and his boss got let go. That left three of us. I work in smaller office, and they work in the old company's main office about 2.5 hours away. We were all doing desktop support due to earlier cutbacks, but I was also running our SCCM server (including software, driver, and update packages) and doing other maintenance on other servers. As for the other guys, one was a DBA who was also doing server admin work, and the other wasn't even IT before I started and got drafted into the department to help with some online database software everyone relied on.

So the new company doesn't have any need for us in those capacities. They have their own DBAs and SCCM admins and whatnot. We were heavily involved in the transition of all IT assets to the new company while still supporting our old users. Our new boss promised us great things if we stuck around, but then we were taken out of his department, and moved to our new home: IT Helpdesk. Our new new bosses doesn't seem to have such lofty futures in mind for us. In fact, I'm not sure if they know what we did before.

I wrote a big post a while back on how awful my last helpdesk job was. But this one is somehow worse. We got no training on the company's systems or software. When I asked if the department had any documents on common tickets they get, my new bosses pretty much told me to wing it and call somebody if I got stuck. My closest coworker is 500 miles away. Second closest is about 1000 miles away. The wait time on the call queue gets to be 60 minutes pretty often because the other helpdesk techs also have other responsibilities. And I understand that I'm no longer on the path to being a server admin like I was before the buyout, but I've had to fight for just about every bit of admin access I've gotten.

But the worst thing is the time. I'm still salaried (and I still get my old pay), but I'm sure that will change. We enter time for every ticket into the ticketing system, which is fine. But at the end of the week we have to make a time sheet and enter the contents and time and department for every ticket, along with details on anything else done in the week not in the ticketing system. It all needs to add up to 40 hours. My bosses are like "My hands are tied! This is the only way we can report hours to the CIO!" but it's bullshit. What do I do about bathroom breaks? Times when the queue is empty? I assume everyone but us new guys are hourly, so are these guys working 10-hour days to make sure they have 8 hours of work to report? He told us to embellish if necessary, and we can count the time spent on the timesheet (sometimes a couple hours a week, from what I've been told), but it's seriously the most anal system I've encountered in IT.

Seems like the writing is on the wall. I'd start polishing the resume and sending out apps. The poo poo thing about situations like yours is that it seems like the peon who can sniff out the BS and just files flagrantly dishonest time reports will be the one who succeeds. Cant say I'm blame that person either. If management cares so little about these that they tell you to embellish them just make up whatever BS is going to make them happy and keep busy working on something else.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We order these and I didnt even realize they were wireless. Why have a wireless dock though? I mean wont the laptop's wireless card work. Are they just going from desk to desk needing a monitor or two and a mouse keyboard setup?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sirotan posted:

The 'wireless' part is that you don't have to physically connect your laptop to the dock. I honestly do not see the point. You still have to put the 'dock' somewhere (taking up desk space), your laptop still has to sit somewhere (also taking up desk space). They're even close to $100 more than the actual physical dock. I would have said it's solving a problem that doesn't even exist but I guess that problem is "I am Commodore 64's coworker and I don't have enough pointless gadgets on my desk right now."

Wait so the whole benefit is that it can sit somewhere near the dock and you can use monitors and a keyboard/mouse setup? Does it use NFC or Bluetooth or something? I cant see any benefits to this. We order those bigger models just because they have a higher wattage to support some of the massive desktop replacement laptops that get ordered.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If you can take a vacation definitely use your PTO. Haven't there been multiple studies showing that you are less productive over the long run if you work crazy hours and never take a vacation? It doesn't even have to be an expensive trip over seas. If your the outdoors type just go find a state park, take a Friday off and have a nice 3 day camping trip. Or go visit family that you never get to see enough. poo poo even a staycation where you just make time for yourself is better than nothing.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

anthonypants posted:

If someone says they had a BSOD and there's a bugcheck code in the event viewer, my first step is plugging that number into Google. gently caress you.

What you mean you dont memorize things like Reset input pipe failed (0xc000000e)? I'm never afraid to Google something. Sure it's nice to be able to know all of the basics in your head but if SCCM spits off some random error like this I'm checking Google. You do need to know enough to be able to find the pertinent info out of everything out there.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I hate not being able to have enough time to do everything I actually need to get done. Our company is growing like crazy, with over 300+ new hires in the last 4 months. Unfortunately either because of CIO overconfidence or company indifference our IT dept hasnt grown at all. It seems that everything gets thrown on us or major projects get undertaken and dump a poo poo ton of work on us. We're automating and streamlining like crazy but I literally dont have time to spare working in SCCM and with our network team to help make things better in the future because I get so much poo poo that has to be dealt with NOW!11! according to management. Just give me a week and I can save us so much time moving forward! The wink wink nudge nudge is that if I took some time on the weekend I could really catch up but I just refuse to do that.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Comradephate posted:

This is basically several hundred words of excuses as to why you have no spine.

If the CIO is your effective boss, then he or she is the person to talk to about the fact that you're overloaded.

If you are able to (by their perception) handle all 3 jobs, why the gently caress would they hire somebody else? You're saving them upwards of $100,000 and you're not even complaining about it. You're practically a gold mine.

I wouldn't say that it makes him spineless. Sounds like it might just be a temporary lovely thing he has to deal with for a little bit. Sometimes I feel like the pendulum has swung to far the other way around here. A lot of times at the sign of any trouble everyone's first response is to jump ship, and while I agree and studies back up that it is helpful and a viable solution, I don't think that should be the first step for everyone. Sometimes company reorganizations and HR take a while to get things moving. I had to wait on a promotion for a few months just because we had to wait for our new fiscal year to start. Things happen. It sounds like he has all the metrics and paper trail to CYA and doesnt want to go to the CIO for what amounts to one guy being a loud mouth whiner. Maybe he sticks it out a few weeks, gets the promotion and can start making some real changes.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/07/15/331681041/comcast-embarrassed-by-the-service-call-making-internet-rounds

Ah Comcast never change! Just had an experience with them where they somehow managed to cancel a line that we were having problems with. That's one way to fix your horrible service, thanks Comcast!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ookiimarukochan posted:

We have a customer where every few months we have to go in and fix the fact that our appliance can no longer talk to their AD server. Because the times have drifted too much. Because their networking team (for some reason) decided to stop our appliance from talking to their NTP servers. Seems like by the time you get to the point your org has a dedicated "network team" you're running the risk that they may be so busy concentrating on (often meaningless) network security that they don't think through (or don't know/don't want to know) the fact that Kerberos wants the time at both ends to be "close" AND that there may be specialised devices on the network using AD as some form of single sign on.

Wasnt there some NTP hack that got a bunch of publicity this winter? Maybe they were worried about that. Although I thought that people just figured a way to spoof their location and basically use it as a DoS tool.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Cue Dick Trauma's boss threatening to fire him for speaking down to the auditor who he plays golf with on the weekends or something and then magically getting a fat bonus a week later because the DirecTV is "digital" now or some nonsense.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Wasn't it Sickening who a while ago got fired and had to be hired back at like $10,000 to do something simple like update a router config because his old boss claimed he didnt leave any documentation? Even though he did it just wasnt step by step this is a router this is the CLI type walk through.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I hate sales users with such passion. I have more of a sysadmin/networking background but got talked into taking a assistant manager help desk job because they offered to bump me up pay wise quite a bit and it would get me into management. To go from having to work mostly with other techs to dealing with some of these mouth breathers half the time is really trying my patience. What really kills me is that it's the same dumb poo poo day after day. Password resets, broken equipment, general bitching. I wish I could just go back to building point to point WAN links all day like I used to.

Still it's not all bad. I'm getting to learn and work more with server 2012 then I ever used to and learn SCCM which is at least interesting. But still gently caress sales.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

The superintendent brought the tech department into a meeting.
They're bringing a consultant in because 'the school board and the staff have no confidence in our technology', which is basically news to all of us. Apart from some really annoying back-to-back outages that the network admins keep saying they're not responsible for (if a teacher making a switch loop affects the entire goddamn network, it's your goddamn fault), things have actually been going pretty well in our schools. And we passed a tech levy last November that'll finally let us get some much-needed infrastructure upgrades. So, the boss gets some RFPs to re-wire the high school (was Fiber to the Desktop, turned into a nightmare) and the superintendent gets to start implementing a 1:1 with Chromebooks, starting with 3-5th grades.

Except the chromebooks & carts were going to be more expensive than she was expecting, and wanted to find the extra cost elsewhere in the budget...then went on vacation until August. A week after she gets back, we get the consultant news. He's a deputy superintendent & tech director at a neighboring district that has really good tech, who also happens to run his own consulting firm. One of our admins welcomes a consultant, but has heard horror stories about this one in particular since he has deals with vendors and other districts have bought all sorts of poo poo from them that they had to tear out later. The consultant tells the superintendent to put all tech projects on hold, which means the high school rewiring won't get done before classes start, and the Chromebooks, already late because of the budget crap, will be coming in even later (if at all). The teachers were all eagerly anticipating the Chromebooks and were planning their lessons around them and removing classroom computers, and now they're all screwed up.

We're 'meeting' the consultant over a video conference next week. I hope he holds the admins' feet to the fire, since they're not very good, but delaying badly needed projects or teacher-promised purchases is really goddamn annoying.

Honestly it sounds like you do have some pretty crappy network admins. I worked at a school very briefly for about 2 months before moving on and it was the most depressing experience in my career. The school was constantly broke, and seemed like specific teachers and administrators had to much influence. They couldnt afford to upgrade their lovely NT servers but an assistant principal could get a brand new macbook air while all of the other teachers in his area were working off of 4-5 year old Dell latitudes.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This is one of my main gripes with my job now. Supervisors putting in new hire requests the day of or before a person is supposed to start. Then they bring the person by asking for their equipment. Makes us look like assholes and then we have to drop everything to get them ready. No matter how many meetings we seem to have with department heads and HR people just cant seem to get it. We've done everything we can to speed up the process, having equipment on hand, speeding up the imaging sequence, etc. Still happens and pisses me off to no end. Everyone knows its supposed to be 2 weeks and it never seems to happen. Managers are so bad about getting in paperwork that they have actually pressured a women in HR to forge signatures on hire agreements so that they can get people started right away.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

RadicalR posted:

Holy poo poo, that's illegal as poo poo.

Where I am, we have a two week policy and we enforce it.

Got an intern that starts today? Tough poo poo. We'll get to it when we can, and if you throw a fit, you get to explain to your boss why you didn't do your job.

Highly illegal. The HR employee stood her ground thankfully and then got chewed out by a sales director when he was back in the office.

Volmarias posted:

Charge their department for every incident, if you can get that to stick. Otherwise, take your SLA and stick with it like an rear end in a top hat. Make sure the new hire knows that you weren't given time.

I made the mistake of standing my ground on this once before and it didnt go well. We were short staffed, incredibly busy with some major transition projects and had executive staff coming in expecting us to be there personal tech concierges. A new hire came in with their boss and I told them we didnt have their accounts or equipment setup due to the short notice. Cue a call from my boss, his boss, and the director of sales yelling at me for not getting it done, wasting a new hires time, and costing the company money somehow. The poo poo cherry on top was being told "I wasnt a team player". Ever since then I just have staff play hot potato with new hires dropping whatever needs to be done to get new hires with the most important bosses worked on first. It's a total poo poo show.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I seem to pretty reliably get free lunches and tshirts. Never been able to grift any freebies bigger than that before.

Earlier I posted about how I hate late hires and how people were pushing HR people to forge sign-on agreements. It's somehow managed to get worse. One of my techs came to tell me that he had been told to go take another departments used laptop to setup for a new hire in admin. When he protested he was reminded that he was speaking to the CEO's admin assistant and that she has gotten people fired before. HOLY poo poo!!! What the hell is wrong with these people? Basically she put in a new hire on Friday afternoon who of course is going to start on Monday and she didnt want a crappy loaner laptop until then and forced this poor guy to go take another departments laptop. I have a meeting with HR today about this and the entire new hire process but I doubt it goes anywhere.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We are going through the process of changing everyones user rights from being local admins to standard users. The company is growing super fast and the guys on helpdesk dont have enough time to keep up with the backup, format, reimages for all of the pc's that are obviously getting viruses. I'm having to fight these mouth breathers at every god drat step! The culture here was just amazing. People used their company laptops as home devices and this was actually encouraged as a "perk" for the longest time. So we have different model Alien Wares and HP's and Lenovos all floating around with god knows what. Honestly I'm amazed that I was able to even convince management that this change needed to be made. I think getting hit by cryptolocker a while back changed some minds.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Pissing me off again: lovely Java apps that require browser plugins to launch. Oh, you failed to launch? gently caress you: I'll just crash Firefox. gently caress you if you have other tabs open too. Go use Internet Explorer 9. Oh, your company upgraded to Windows 8, and thus can't use Internet Explorer 9? gently caress you. Go back to Firefox. Which I'll crash. Repeatedly. After failing to load.

(Did I mention that I fail to load because I open a new connection for every single data object type, and hang if I don't get an immediate response? gently caress you if you're in south Asia and have a latency with my California data center greater than 300ms.)

IE enterprise mode. I had that same problem having to support vendors lovely awful sites. Enable enterprise mode in group policy build your site list in an xml file and then go nuts. So far it has worked well for every site that we've needed it to but obviously no guarantees it will work for some of the really awful sites out there.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I think the naming thing totally depends on the environment. Right now I work at a place with every user being mobile and carrying their laptop with them. It would make no sense to name that in relation to their office # or building because they are up and down so much. Turnover is very low to so we name it by employee and then change it if/when they do leave. I've also worked in places where the turnover was crazy high and they worked off of desktops so we would do the building, floor, desk # thing to make it easy on us. Then you have the hellish environment I once walked into where the prior sole "IT guy" named them whatever he thought was funny at the time.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Wow dogstile that sucks. Sorry to hear it. Is this job worth sticking through until you potentially move overseas for it? It seems like this company tries to short change and hassle you all the time.

Stuff pissing me off. Sales, again. My %100 paid for by work cell # is on my business cards and listed in the company directory. It's made well known that you only call someone on the IT team in a dire emergency. Otherwise we have a rotating on call person who gets the calls on the weekends and that person only has to responds to emergencies. Well someone decided that getting an iPhone 6 on Saturday was an emergency and blew up my phone. Text, email, and a few voicemails. I finally called the person back, told them that there call wasnt an emergency, and that they hadnt followed the proper company procedure for getting a phone either so that come Monday none of use would be calling her back with the info to charge a new phone to the company. I swear these people dont read a single thing that gets sent out to them. We sent a detailed message and how to get a new phone once the iPhone 6 was announced and no one has followed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Hey Dick Trauma any fall out over you leaving that you've heard of yet? Wishing you the best, I hope you land on your feet soon.