Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
So the company I work for recently spent almost a million pounds purchasing the land surrounding our site.

Today, the same company told me to make a new teamviewer account for each laptop and remote non-domain computer to avoid paying £31 a month for a business license...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

So I've always known that the two Directors for my company can be quite rude when it comes down to paying attention during meetings, but I have never seen it this bad...

They are finally holding interviews to replace the member of staff in the Sales department who quit before Christmas, which is great news as other departments have been under pressure answering sales calls while trying to do their own work.

My office is in the same corridor as our boardroom, but I usually have my door closed and some music playing quietly. I accidentally left the radiator on full last Friday, so I have all the doors and windows open to try and drop the temperature.

In the 30 minutes that they have been in the boardroom, they have stopped the interview 6 times to answer phone calls about :

Turf deliveries for the garden
Horses
Wheel refurbishment on a Porsche
Horses again
Something else I didn't catch as I was on the phone
Horses AGAIN

Speaking from experience, I can guarantee that the interviewee will be asked to repeat what was missed by whichever Director was out of the room at that time.

On top of that, they both have recently installed those Ring movement based cameras - one at his house (which has the turf deliveries and groundworks) and the other at his wife's side business, so every 30 seconds their phones are blasting out a wind chime noise as the app signals the motion detection.

They are wondering why none of the previous candidates have taken them up on the job offer - I sure as hell wouldn't have taken the job if they paid that little attention to my interview...

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Had one of our remote ADSL lines drop out yesterday, which usually happens when it rains, or is windy, or sunny, or a day ending with "Y". VPN dropped and the remote user could not log in to our DB application.

User rings me at 9am to tell me. No problem, I say. Just reboot the router, give it 5 mins and it should come back up. Call me back in 10 if it still doesn't work and I will log a fault with our ISP.

I check our UTM control panel a few minutes later and can see the VPN has made a fresh connection. I think no more about it and carry on with my day.

Get a phone call this morning from the remote user's manager asking if the broadband line was working now.
Turns out the user rebooted the modem, then never bothered to try and log back in.
Didn't try to get hold of me either despite me saying to ring after 10 minutes, just sat there all day, not doing anything.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Came in this morning to find out that there is a nationwide o2 data outage.

"Well can't you do something about it? We have drivers out on the road who are waiting for their delivery info! There must be something you can do!"

Do what? Shall I ring o2 up and ask if they need a hand troubleshooting? If there was a workaround, I would be looking in to it. The trucks can only connect to us via the single data SIM in the modem so if there is an issue on the provider network it is out of my hands.

Had the same conversation repeatedly when Exchange online stopped working last week.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

Serial chat, our new Juniper gear has a micro usb port on the front, and has the serial to usb adapter inside the equipment, so in theory I'll never need my cisco cable and usb to serial adapter anymore. However, I never remember to install the drivers before I get onsite so it will probably never work.

Yeah the Aruba 2930 series have a micro USB port too. Our VAR helpfully included a USB to micro USB console cable in our quote for about £30.

Turns out it is a bespoke cable for the Aruba AP's, and doesn't work if you try to use it to connect to the switches.

Spent about half an hour trying to troubleshoot that before I plugged a normal micro USB cable in.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Super Soaker Party! posted:

You kinda buried the lead there friendo - what you meant to say was THE UPS WILL REBOOT because the pins APC changed around meant that a regular serial cable would connect pins that in APC land initiate a UPS reboot.

Which is just about the worst loving thing you could arrange to have happen on a device that is supposed to prevent your infrastructure from unexpectedly losing power and crashing...

I was going to say thankfully that isn't really the same at all - if you plug the AP micro USB into the Aruba switch it just doesn't do anything.

I did think of APC serial cables after I figured out you can use a normal cable though. Could you kill a micro USB port with 5V if you sent it down the wrong pin?

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

I got texted on Tuesday morning by a coworker asking if I could reset another users password as she had locked herself out the night before.

That user is not in his department, did not start work for another 30 minutes, and had already been texted by me the night before with a temporary password. I had also sent an email to both her managers letting them know, as I had Tuesday booked as holiday and didnt want to be woken up.

I completely lost my poo poo - I got so angry I was physically sick, ended up typing a draft email to send to the Directors saying I was quitting on the spot (thankfully my partner calmed me down before I sent it) and generally just raged for a few hours. This coworker has a habit of getting involved in things that do not concern him, and I was already annoyed at him for trying to investigate things himself instead of coming to me - he spent about 6 hours the previous week trying to figure out why an order had missed its delivery window. He finally came to me about it and within 30 seconds I had audited the database and found the cause.

I phoned up the Directors after a couple of hours and basically ranted about everything - what happened with that coworker, other departments not bothering to note down any information when reporting issues, other members of staff thinking it is fine to call/text/facebook message me about work issues when I am on holiday. They agreed that things need to change (have heard that before) and I could take the rest of the week off to calm down.

Problem is, every time I think about that coworker, I get angry again. I am genuinely not looking forward to going back on Monday, as I do not think I can keep my cool if he tries to talk to me. I don't think I could even keep it professional - I am sick of him coming in to my office stinking of body odor and cigarettes or having to listen to his bullshit stories when I walk past his department.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Wrong! This is the thread where you get to post your rants.

That said, in response to the post, it sounds like the entire way people interact with IT needs to be changed. The way yo start with this is enforce the ticket policy. Everything is tickets. If you message me directly I ignore you. If you stop me in the hallway or come to my desk my response is “did you open a ticket?” Nothing gets done without a ticket. Nobody should be contacting anyone directly about any requests. If the ticket is a priority (a real priority) it will be dealt with in a timely manner. If your issue is not in a ticket is it really an issue?

I've already asked people to start logging issues via email over the past few months. I don't mind people stopping me in the hallway or coming to my desk to report an issue, just as long as it is followed up by an email.

But that doesn't stop people sending me an email saying poo poo like "an error came up on my screen" - no error message, no screen shot, nothing. Or even worse, just not telling me at all.
We had an issue with our phone system recently where users calls would instantly fail when dialing out. Our telecoms company came out twice, and each time they said it was fixed, I asked various departments to let me know if it happens again. Each time, I would ask every few days and would be told all is fine. After a month or so, it would happen to a Director, who would mention it to me and without fail, any members of staff within earshot would pipe up "oh yeah that has happened to me too!".
This actually happened again this Wednesday - I got CCed into an email chain with our Director and the Technical Director of our telecoms company. I was in the gym at the time, trying to relax after the events of Tuesday morning. The plus side of that was after a 30 minute phonecall in the locker room, one of the Directors is now aware in explicit detail of this situation, the situation with the member of staff taking it upon himself to text me on Tuesday as well as other members of staff contacting me directly on my personal phone/facebook/snapchat (I actually had a member of staff send me a snapchat of her locked out AD account once when I was away at a training course).

I will be sitting down to have a meeting with them next week. I plan to request they email all department heads telling them to remove my personal number from their phones. I think I might ask for a dual-SIM phone too, so I can have a dedicated work number that I will turn off at 5pm each day. Not sure how I will deal with the issue of people not reporting/under reporting things to me though. If they can't be bothered to send an email, they sure as hell wont fill out a ticket.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

We have an ancient Hipath PBX in our office, with a newer Unify X8 card stuffed in to it. Absolute piece of poo poo. I have been asking to replace it since I started 10 years ago.

We are now relying on the Unify softphone for a bunch of our staff while they work from home. It has so few features and so many bugs it is unbelievable.

Want to put a customer on hold? Nope!
Want to consult with another member of staff before transferring a call? Nope!
Want to see the internal directory, or make a list of most used extensions? Nope!!
Want to park a call? NOPE!!
Try to call someone as their presence changes? Enjoy the constant busy tone until you exit out of the software.
The best one is only one that happens to myself and the company Director - when we end a call with each other, the connection doesnt get disconnected. It says we are both off the phone, but we can still talk to each other. The only way to end the call is to exit the application again.

I am so glad I was the first person to start working from home though. I am at a higher risk due to being type 1 diabetic, and I was getting super stressed out by how they were handling things. They had the great idea to put key workers in isolation in various meeting rooms, but then completely forgot that we all share the same facilities. One girl came down to the break room on the day I left, complaining that she wasn't feeling well. Instead of sending her home, they put her in one of the meeting rooms on her own. Within 5 minutes she was back in the main office, leaning over someones desk.

I set up a new laptop and softphone extension for one of the sales girls last week. Boxed it up and posted it to her house. Saw she was logged in to our database software and thought nothing more about it.
Get a call from one of the Directors the next day saying she hadn't put any orders in at all. When he phoned her to ask why, she said her softphone wasnt working.
I try to remotely connect to her laptop, but it keeps timing out. Ask if she is having any issues with her internet. "No, no more than usual". Press her for more info, and it turns out she lives in the middle of nowhere.
Get her to run a speed test, and it gets 0.2Mbps down and 0.01Mbps up. Her broadband was so slow, the softphone would log in (if it didnt time out first), and then just fall over as soon as the call signaling started.
Somehow she managed to get the VPN to connect and log in to a terminal server though.
No idea what they did in the end - she hasn't logged in since that day.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

How on earth do you tell an iPad to open .ica files with Citrix Receiver?

Girlfriend is trying to get her WfH stuff set up and had this issue. She tried to call her companies IT support, who couldn't seem to grasp she was on an iPad, not Windows.

Never worked with Citrix before but sure, I'll have a look.

She video calls me on Facebook messenger, picture quality like a 2003 Nokia, kids screaming at each other in the background.

I think I've aged 30 years in 30 minutes.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

You download the Workspace app and use that to add the connection. At no point should you see an ICA file.

We tried the Workspace app, it connects fine, logs her in and she can see she is signed in on the app settings, but when you open the app list, it is blank and says "sign in" at the top.

The Receiver app logs in fine, however when you click on an app or the desktop tab, it tries to download an .ica file, but the ipad doesn't know how to open these.

She is getting paid either way regardless if she can log in, so we are done messing about with it. It was just incredibly stresful providing tech support for another company on a platform I am completely unfamiliar with while the user has screaming kids in the background and the only view I get is wonky pictures on Messenger.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

It's been a little while and I haven't touched their new Workspace app, but in the past there was a toggle between Apps and Desktops, can you check to make sure you're going to the right "tab"? Also, in the past they only showed things that you or IT marked as favorites on that first screen. Is there an option to browse for additional Apps or Desktops?

If not, sorry, that's all I've got. The link Thanks Ants posted is worth a look, but connecting that way is less than ideal.

So looks like you need both Workspace and Receiver installed and it will let you open your desktop. Or maybe it was the random attempt at logging in on Safari. Who knows.

Either way I shouldn't be troubleshooting it. I semi-jokingly suggested sending their IT team an invoice for my time.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Had a night of blood sugar so low in my sleep that my glucose sensor just recorded a flat line at the bottom of the graph.
Felt like absolute death when I woke up, so emailed the Directors, set my VoIP phone to "sick" and went back to bed after eating some haribo and a few slices of toast.

Made it 2 hours before one of the Directors phoned me on my mobile (forgot to set it to night mode).

"Sorry to disturb you, I know you are sick but this is an emergency!"

What was so important that he needed to wake me up after almost dying in my sleep?

His wife owns an outdoor leisure business that is allowed to open from July 4th. He was doing something on the website for this business and deleted the link (that I set up) to the online booking and payment system (that I also set up). This business gets maybe 2 to 3 bookings per week, so clearly it needed to be fixed then and there, most certainly couldn't have waited for a few more hours.

This website is hosted on probably the worst website builder I have ever seen. Rather than go with a 1&1 hosting and domain package with a nice easy to use wordpress install that I suggested and offered to set up, the Director's wife went with the one recommended by her sister (who works for the local council, has never done anything related to web design and who I suspect just googled "website builder" and picked the first result) and made the most awful looking, unresponsive piece of poo poo I have ever seen. It seriously looks like something from the mid 90s, but with a giant JPEG set as the background so it scrolls up and down at 1 frame per second.
Rather than ask me to set things up from the start (or their son-in-law who actually is a web designer), they keep taking advice from random people in this lesuire community who all have absolutely zero IT knowledge.
So I quite often get phonecalls asking if I can figure out why this random piece of booking or results software doesn't work, oh and can I also show the Director's wife how to use it, oh and can I also integrate it into the website too, oh but the lady who set it up used her own email address so you can't reset the password for it so you'll need to chase her to get her to send the reset link (after sending you her personal email password several times).

Closest I have come to quitting on the spot.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Hey, it's not like he's raking up rocks with the IT Landscaping Crew (TM).

You joke but my old boss at my first IT job back when I was 19 tried to get me to clean his outdoor swimming pool.

klosterdev posted:

Why did you offer to set up a website for a director's wife's personal business

Because I knew I would end up troubleshooting/working on it anyway, so would rather it be created with something I have used before and had control over.
And because I am an idiot, obviously.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Been WfH now since just before the UK lockdown. Clinically vulnerable, so it was agreed with the Directors that I would stay home until flu season has ripped through the office like usual, so most likely March 2021.
Decided to move house to a bigger place so I can have a home office, which was encouraged by said Directors.

Just got back to work after the move, and find out they have demolished part of one office and made it into 3 small ones. They realised last minute that they needed to redo all the network drops, so they are trying to organise that while moving people around and running temporary cables everywhere.

They keep trying to get me to come in during the day to "sort out" the cables. I keep telling them I will come in during the evening to do it, when the electrician has finished. They tell me yesterday that they need it done urgently this morning and will open the side door so I do not have to go near anyone.

Arrive there this morning, and nothing has been terminated in the server room. Go to find the Directors and they tell me "Oh we thought he had finished. But while you are here, close the door as we need to talk to you about coming back to the office".

They then proceed to basically ambush me with an unprepared meeting about how they desperatley need me to come back in the office. How COVID rates are going down (they arent), and how people need to be able to speak to me about things that need doing (they dont).
But it is okay! they will give me a water tank thing, a fridge and a microwave, so I don't even need to leave my office!
Didn't give me a chance to explain why I didn't want to come back yet, just kept talking over me.

Head home in an absolute rage with no cabling done. Get a phonecall on the drive asking if we can move a couple of staff into a spare office like I originally suggested, was ready to set up but was told no. Hang up and turn off phone.
Composed a rather large email voicing how displeased I am with how they handled that meeting, and how they encouraged me to move only to remove WfH a week after moving. No response.

So now I am sitting here, wondering if I should even bother logging on tomorrow morning. I know for sure now though that I do not want to work there any more.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Work things pissing me off:

Ive been working from home since the first UK lockdown, so have not been around to tell people not to store poo poo in the server room.
Popped in earlier to connect a couple NIC ports to the a switch. Or at least thats what I wanted to do - I couldn't even get to the server rack as a bunch of disassembled desks had fallen onto the pile of old CCTV equipment and jammed the rack door shut. Shut the door, locked up and went home to send a ranty email to the Directors.

Home things pissing me off:

My girlfriends daughter put on a load of lip balm and kissed my TV a bunch and I have just smeared it around trying to get it off.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

poo poo pissing me off today (and since Christmas really):

One of my suppliers thinks we are mates and calls me multiple times per day to "catch up". I thought he was a bit of a knob when he first called to introduce himself and told me how he will always be available to help and "he was still working at the hospital when his wife was in labour". I presume he thought I was one of those "live for work" IT guys when I most certainly am not.

I usually just ignore his calls, but I wasn't paying attention on Monday and picked up. I made the mistake of asking how his Christmas was, and he proceeded to talk at me for 30 minutes about how he left his wife and all the drama with their families.
If the multiple calls per day wasn't bad enough, since Monday he now just sits on the end of the line and lets the phone ring. I sat and ignored it for 7 minutes today before he got bored and rang off.

Getting to the point I am thinking of calling or emailing his manager and seeing if I can get our account reassigned.

He replaced a guy that I actually did quite like too - met up for dinner a couple times when he came down with his family on holiday, only emailed me once a month to check in and best of all, used to send me a £200 Amazon voucher each Christmas.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Our card payment provider claims to have over 24,000 employees, but it seems the UK support number is staffed by one guy. If the phone even gets answered, I get through to him and have to explain our issue over and over again, only to now be "transferred to an internal department" where my call gets shuttled off to another unanswered part of their phone system.

We have an issue that has been going on for over a loving year and I just cannot get a resolution to it. I've also kept the Directors up to date with the issue and the support I get from the provider - almost pleading with them asking if we can move to another platform. Obviously they haven't paid any attention to it until last week where I almost quit on the spot after being told "Why haven't you done anything about this!?".

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

When it gets "transferred" is it still the same guy just using a different voice/accent?

Haha no unfortunately not. It either goes back on hold to never get answered, or rings for a few minutes before getting cut off.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

I was watching Mrs. America yesterday, there's a bit where Phyllis is trying to Do Politics with some men by having a strategy discussion, and she is one of the most influential women in the country at the time; they ask her to sit there, imply she shut up, and take minutes because "she has the prettiest handwriting". This show is set in the 70s.

50 years later, in real life, the same sodding thing happened in a meeting I was in. An old white man asked the only young lady present if she could take the notes on the whiteboard as she probably has the prettiest handwriting. This is in a financial/tech company.

Change is sodding glacial.

I work in the oil and gas industry and it still very much has the feel of a 50's "old boys club" with the way some company directors speak to women.

We had 2 execs from a big oil distributor come in last year - typical dumpy middle aged guys, and our newly assigned account manager who was a younger woman.
First thing they say to our directors as they walk in the building is "Look! We bought you a present!" while guesturing wildly to this lady.
As the reception staff sat there in shock, our directors started laughing and saying "Oh we didn't know you were bringing a stripper!".
This woman just stood there, white-knuckling the folder she was carrying. I think if she had told them all to get hosed and left, most of our staff would have gone with her too at that point.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

I just found out that the stinky electrician we used to pay to do work at our head office is still doing work at one of the directors' properties for the leisure business his wife runs.

He stopped doing work at our head office because it turned out he did not have any of the necessary qualifications/certifications to work on commercial/industrial electrics.

I work in the oil and gas industry. How we never became Buncefield Mk II I have no idea.

Anyway, I found this out as the director called me this morning, saying that both workstations in the office could not connect to the internet (he is working from there during COVID as the leisure business is shut to the public and is on his property).
After a bit of troubleshooting I found that both machines were on a completely different subnet to the rest of the network.
I ask if anyone has plugged anything in lately and he tells me "Oh yeah smelly Pete (yes he actually called him that) installed a new CCTV system for me!".

After checking he didn't accidentally plug the CCTV IP camera ports into the rest of the network, we found it was being caused by the switch he used.

Or rather the router he used. He couldnt be bothered to run more than one cable for the IP cameras at the other side of the property and didnt have a network switch, so he just used a loving home router he had spare instead. With DHCP still enabled on it, naturally.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Does he smell like BO, piss, or cigarettes?

A combination of wet dog, BO and a vegetable compost bin. I felt a bit sorry for him at first as it brought back memories of a kid in primary school who smelled similar. The headmaster sat us all down before he came to our class and explained it was down to his medication and he couldn't help it. But after several departments refused to let him work near their desks and one of the directors had a quiet word with him, it turned out he just didnt shower or wash his clothes.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

guppy posted:

Please do not hire electricians to pull data cable. I've seen electricians that are good at it but I've seen a lot more that are terrible at it. Hire a proper data cabling contractor that is familiar with BICSI standards.

My bosses decided to get our usual electrician to run Cat6 from our newly refurbished offices to the server room, despite my protests, as every time we used him before we had to get a contractor out to fix all the fuckyness that resulted in severe packet loss for most of the drops.

That was back in October. He finally finished the last drop today. About 25% of the connections do not work, the other 25% have packet loss so bad they might as well not work.
We paid for 100 IP phones in October, plus 100 IP phone licenses in our phone system. They have been sitting in a box collecting dust for almost 6 goddamn months as we do not have enough working network points to plug people in.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

One of the reasons I really love my current boss, occured while my wife was having our second baby. I was out for a couple weeks, and my wife had gone into labor. She was actually a sleep for a couple hours and I peaked at my email for a sec, and I saw a question that I could quickly answer and I sent an email. A couple seconds later my boss texted me "turn off your phone, I don't want to see any emails from you."

In contrast to my first kid where my boss at $AWFUL_JOB tried to press me to have her induced so we could schedule some projects around it.

I had an accounts manager from a VAR boast to me once how he was still replying to work emails when his wife was giving birth.

Not quite sure why he thought I would be impressed by that. He was pretty suprised when I was like "Nah gently caress that mate".

Thing pissing me off today:

Broke a VM trying to fix the hypervisor. Backups failed on Friday as Veeam couldnt access the server to grab snapshots.
Shut the guest OSes down and rebooted the hypervisor. Run the backup again and all seems fine.
Bring the VMs back online one by one, and they all fire up nice and quick apart from the DB server.
Must be installing updates, I think. After 30 mins it finally pops up and I log in to it. Slow as gently caress.
Check event viewer and most of the DB services failed to start due to timeout.
Reboot again. Same problem. Resource monitor is fine, hypervisor is running fine.
DB application works, but is slow.

gently caress it, I'll just spin up a new VM, install the DB and copy the data over. Cannot be bothered with it any more - I want to watch the football.

Whipstickagostop fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 11, 2021

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Got the phonecall on Friday from one of the Directors that they want to start bringing me back to the office.
They did this last year, but to be honest I was quite suprised as cases are spiking again in the UK, and they know I haven't had my second vaccine as all signs are pointing to the first one being responsible for my current health issues.
Explained to him that I am more at risk now then I was last year - my specialist has told me I am lucky I haven't already had a blood clot/stroke/heart attack.
Explained to him that I have barely left the house since I got my first dose as it has made my type 1 diabetes extremely hard to control.
Explained to him that I keep having to isolate from my partner and her children as they get sick, and last time I caught a cold off them I ended up in hospital on a heart monitor as I collapsed in the bathroom with chest pains and severe dehydration.
His response was "Yeah but theres a few things we need your help with around the office". We ended the call with him saying not to worry about it, he will speak to the other Director and they will conference call me in the week.

Ended up sending an email to them both that evening as I was stressing so much. Basically just wrote down the points above, and mentioned that there has never been an issue I havent been able to fix remotely.

Haven't heard anything back about it, but I fully expect them to just ignore me and keep saying they want me back in without giving a proper reason.

I've said to my doctor I am good to work while at home and don't need to be signed off on sick leave, but I can see that changing, and me using that time to look for a new job that will let me work remotely.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Foxtrot_13 posted:

You might want to preemptively talk to ACAS to get some talking points about The Equality Act 2010 the next time it comes up.

If they really want to force you to come in then laying the ground work now for your constructive dismissal case will help. Or they may not realize they are being quite so dickish about this.

Finally got a response from the Director. A week later. Sent to me when I had the day off to travel to the next county for a medical appointment as the NHS is so backlogged at the moment I couldn't get seen at my local hospital for 2 months.

Started by saying they understood my health issues, and then pretty much ignored what I said about the issues I was having.

The reason he put in writing as to why he wants me back? "other staff have been covering your work while you have been at home".

What. The. Actual. gently caress.

I am the sole IT employee for the company. I have never asked anyone to do any of my work for me, nor can anyone else in the company do my work for me.

To make things worse, I am quite often asked (and quite often offer) to do bits and pieces for other departments if they are short staffed and I am not working on anything urgent.

I sent an email back explaining this and asking for examples of what other staff have done that he feels I should be doing. I expect it is either going to be something stupid like "user replaced their own keyboard", or "user phoned up the copier supplier and booked a service".

Spoke to another manager that I am friends with outside of work. He had no idea what the Director was talking about either - they just have to email or call me now instead of walking down to my office.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Yeh, they want you back in the office because they are dicks and don't give a poo poo about your health or the law.

If you are part of a union have a chat with them now. If not ACAS or even an employment law solicitor.

Your days are probably numbered already, now it is about gathering the evidence to get a nice payout for disability discrimination. You did well with asking what people had to do because you were in the office. It will be worth keeping your own copies of everything as well and keep up with pressing them for details and examples.

Yeah going to give ACAS a ring on Monday. I know they use a third party HR outsourcing service for employee related stuff - not sure if we all have access to it too or just them.

The Director has a history of giving these non-committal, vague reasons when getting staff to do things they may not like. Most staff will just do what he asks after an initial period of questioning as it is quite often easier as he will just hand-wave any concerns away. The few times people do push back both Directors act so suprised and shocked that the member of staff would leave/take them to court.
Problem is for them, this time they are seriously risking my health so I'm not going to just back down and accept it.

I would put money on the 3rd party consultants advising them to be loving careful what they say too. I expect both my emails have been forwarded to them for advice, and they both clearly state how unwell I am, my underlying health conditions (that are classed as a disablity so hello 2010 equality act) and my request for clarification of what part of my job other staff have coverd.

I was talking about it to my partner earlier and had a thought that it could just be down to a misunderstanding. Another employee who answers to this Director has a track record of getting involved in other peoples work. Not sure if he thinks he is trying to help, or he just wants to feel like big dick of the office. Either way, there was a period of about a week when he was phoning me multiple times a day, from other peoples phones to report issues on behalf of them. After getting sick of hearing his voice, I sent a company-wide email out reminding people to contact me directly when they have issues.
I wouldn't put it past him to end up behind on his own work and use that week as an excuse when called out.
But to be honest, even if that is the case, I wouldn't expect the Director to "back down" now he has the idea in his head.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Get an angry email this morning from one of our depot managers with both Directors CCed in:

"Our internet is so slow here! Everything is taking ages! It has been like this for weeks!"

First thing was to reply all and ask if it has been like that for weeks, why is he only now reporting it to me? No response, naturally.

Ring up one of the girls in the office because gently caress trying to be professional while speaking to that guy. That site runs off a 4G connection, as there is a network mast about 20 feet from the building and the ADSL is shockingly bad.

Hey, {depot_manager} said you guys are having network issues - the 4G router is only showing 1 bar of signal, are the trees growing over it again?

"Oh, no the trees got cut back a few weeks ago, but the guy that did it broke the aerial off the bracket on the side of the cabin"

...so where is the aerial now?

"{depot_manager} just kicked it under the bottom of the cabin...did he not tell you about this?"

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Does anyone else have a user or group of users who are incapable of not interrupting like angry toddlers when they don't understand something?

Dealing with some personal poo poo at the moment so I am feeling like I am at breaking point, and almost lost it with a user who did this to me earlier:

"Oh a customer phoned earlier and said he got an invalid transaction ID when he tried to book a collection on our ordering portal"

Well what usually causes that is when a customer enters incorrect payment details -

"No, NO! THEY DIDNT ORDER! THEY COULDNT! IT GAVE THEM AN ERROR!"

...if you let me finish, it happens when someone uses incorrect payment details and then presses back on their browser instead of using the big Go Back To Order Summary button...

"Oh, I see, well the customer ordered over the phone so its fine"

Like...did your parents not tell you it is rude to do that when you were a kid? One of those things, like people talking with a mouth full of food, that never fails to boil my piss.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Had some builders in our workshop this past week doing some much needed renovations to our vehicle servicing bays.

That side of the building only has a couple of terminals and a printer, so offered to come in one evening to move everything but was told they could handle it.

Next day, nobody can log on to those machines. Get someone to check the assigned IP and they are all on a completely different subnet to ours.

Turns out one of the builders dropped the 8 port desktop switch I had told them to use temporarily and broke it, and rather than tell anyone, got a loving home router out of his van he had floating about and used that instead.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

"I need like...a command prompt or something...to write an algorithm"

*What?*

"You know...like BASIC or C++...I need to write a little program"

*A complier? Why? What are you trying to do?*

"I need to write a program to run an algorithm for me..."

*Yes, but for what purpose? What are you trying to achieve?*

"I have a bunch of figures that add up to X, but I want to know which ones to use to make it add up to Y"

*You can do that in Excel and 2 minutes of Googling...*

"No you can't. I've looked. So do we have anything installed like that?"

*Uhh, no, we don't*

(For the record, this guy is the Sales manager - he has absolutely no IT or programming knowledge. I am not sure how he figured he could just whip up something himself, although knowing him he would spend a few days trying to figure it out while ignoring his actual job)

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Sywert of Thieves posted:

To be fair, this does sound like one of the exercises in the Advent of Code Calendar thing. But he could probably do it in 2 minutes by eyeballing it manually.

He didn't even know what type of software he wanted me to install and called it "a command prompt or something" - the man still pastes screenshots into Word, prints them, scans them back to PDF files and emails them to me. 0 chance he could get anything remotely useable written even if he actually did any BASIC programming in school back in the '80s.

He is a bit of a strange one. I think he does this sort of thing on purpose so he can feel more important. Gets involved in other peoples work, wont delegate his work to his department staff and purposely won't show others how to run certain processes all so he can moan to the Directors about how busy and stressed he is, who lap it up for some reason.

Was just going to leave him do it manually, but figured he would probably waste all day doing it, moan to the Director who used to do his job and then I'd have to waste time explaining to them (again) why he is a massive tit and didn't listen to what I suggested. Typed "find specific total from range of numbers" into Google and sent him the top link which he claimed he couldn't find/didnt work in Excel.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Ahh Server 2016...why must you take so loving long to do updates.

This VM has been sitting on 100% complete for 30 minutes now. I want to go to bed soon. All services seem to be up and running - I might just leave it and hope it doesn't poo poo the bed overnight.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Had someone drive a stolen tractor through the gates of a remote yard a couple of days ago, and completely drain our diesel pump.

Our site manager should get a call from the 3rd party security monitoring company if any movement is detected for a certain period of time between the hours of 6pm and 6am, but he said he wasn't notified.

Director is furious and asks me to ring security company and find out why.

Turns out they had been emailing our company asking for permission to attend the yard and check the DVR as the alarm reporting was not triggering correctly.

Who had they been emailing? The site manager.

How long had they been emailing? Every week for the past year

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

incoherent posted:

There should be no peace for this man. Please tell me you went supersonic on his account and made sure as poo poo the e-mails went directly to his inbox (vs a plausible deniability of junk\delete).

I told the Director what the security company told me, but I haven't heard any more about it so I am guessing the site manager owned up to it (or at least isn't trying to blame me somehow).

I did run off the mail flow report showing the emails coming in, and a mailbox rule audit that shows the rule he created to forward all mail from the security companies' domain to a subfolder, just in case he did try to throw me under the bus though.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

As much as that guy is an idiot, the security company should have picked the phone up after a few weeks of not getting a response

On one hand, they actually may have done that. That guy's department is terrible for not passing over information.

On the other hand, the security company are also pretty awful. They were adamant they hadn't changed the local admin passwords on ANY of our DVRs. I was adamant they had changed the admin passwords on ALL of our DVRs. This dragged on for several months, during which time I couldn't add or edit any users or IP cameras as all the other user accounts on the DVRs were view-only ones.
It only got resolved when the above Director wanted to add a PTZ camera to one site (he loves installing cameras for some reason). He was there with me when I installed the DVR and knew what I had set the password to so he phoned up and kicked off. We both got CCed in on an email a few days later with a list of passwords which were not the original ones I set.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

*Okay [accounts_manager], I've been told that you and your department are spending several days per week manually keying in transactions from the weighing software over to our database application to bill customers.
I've spent 5 minutes looking in to it, and have found you can just export the transactions from the weighing software and import them via a CSV. I have even tried it myself on my test database.

All you need to do is click this "export" button, set a date range, click this "import" button and you are done. When you are ready to invoice, just press this "Generate Invoices" button. It is that easy! You just need to make sure you do not open and save the CSV with Excel as it will break the formatting.

Seriously, this will save you days of work per week, just do not open and save with Excel!*

~A month later~

*Whats that? You are getting "Customer Not Found" warnings when trying to generate invoices? Did you by any chance open and save the exported files in Excel?

Whats that!? You had to do that as you didn't know Edge saves things in your Downloads folder by default? Opening the download in Excel and saving it to your documents folder was the only way you could find the file?

Whats that!?! You CC'ed the Directors in this email chain, complaining about all the work you will need to do manually and blaming me for not setting things up right?

Wow, sure would be a shame if I replied back with our email conversation and the call recording of me telling you several times not to open the loving file in Excel...

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

If it can be hosed up, they will gently caress it up.

Any chance to have it output as a non-defaults-to-excel file extension, e.g. just anything like .dat, .out...

Nah, the weighing software is old as balls and will only allow a user to export as XLS or CSV. I was suprised it worked in Edge with minimal tinkering and wasn't hard coded to IE5 or something.
The company that supplies the hardware said we are the only org running a version this old. They have newer software, but that requires newer hardware with a £100,000+ price tag so yeah not happening.

Thanks Ants posted:

Push a registry key to change the file association for CSV to Notepad

I did think of doing that, but we have other CSV files coming in which they actually need to look at.

For once it had a happy ending though - one of the Directors replied and basically said "You've worked on a computer for 20+ years, you should know how to save a file from a web browser, and if you didn't know that you should ask, so go back and re-export all the files and do it properly this time".

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Had a member of the sales team test positive for Omicron over the weekend. 2 more tested positive yesterday.

The remaining 5 all received positive results at some point yesterday evening. Our entire sales department is now one old lady at a remote site running off a 4G connection.

No problem, I managed to order 10 laptops back in 2020 before the first lockdown. They are all secured with only VPN access and a VoIP phone. I boxed them back up and stored them in the stationery cupboard.

Oh...you had a big cleanout of the stationery cupboard? Thats fine - where did you put the laptops? Oh...it was cleared out by the builders and they cannot remember where they put them?

Hope you enjoy treasure hunting!

Whipstickagostop fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Got a call from the head mechanic today.

Wanted me to give network access to a DAF truck diagnostics laptop so someone could remote in and fix the software.

Oh okay, so you got this laptop from DAF, and a DAF technician is going to log in an fix an issue?

No, not quite. See, it turns out that DAF do not want 3rd party mechanics having access to their software, so you can only buy a cut-down version for about £20,000.

The person who was going to be logging in was in fact a Russian programmer who sold the head mechanic the full, pirated version of this DAF diagnostics software for £500.

He even kindly supplied the laptop it was running on!