Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

You'll be fine with that new tire, no need to tow it. The releasing agent they put in they put in the molds for tires is a bit slippery (as expected) and takes just a little bit of time to wear off. As long as you're not doing serious canyon carving you'll be fine. Just be aware of it. I think it only takes about 100-200mi to scrub them in and you can go hog wild.

According to Pirelli they don't actually use mold release agent on modern tires (for major tire brands) anymore. Not on the actual contact surface of the tire anyway, only on the sidewall to make the lettering more clear. There's a 250wiki article about it that makes the argument that track riders regularly put tires on at the track, of the same kind you'd buy anywhere else, do a lap around the track to make sure everything's OK and then start lapping with no issues.

You should still take it easy on new tires because they're going to handle differently from the tires you replaced but not because they need to be worn in or anything.

That argument always seemed weird to me anyway since most mold release agents can be washed off with soap and water pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Z3n posted:

The only thing you need to scrub off is the smooth, un-textured surface on the tires - it does reduce available grip. The track argument is legit, but most tracks are far more abrasive than the street, and you can apply a lot of throttle and braking while progressively working up lean angle in a way that's difficult to do on the street. If you work up to it, warm the tires up nicely with a lot of upright braking and accelerating, and lean progressively, it's easy to break in them in with about 20 miles of street/city riding, or a run up a nice twisty road with progressively more lean on each corner, so you're never on fresh tire while leaned over all at once.

Thanks for chiming in, that makes more sense than the mold release thing.

Alceste posted:

Well, thanks, that helps a little. I have been feeling lovely about this all morning. I'm sorry you guys didn't have a better time. I am still very ready/stoked to make that trip to the byway so I hope we can work that out again soon. I will be out of town--Broken Bow, actually, in the general area--next weekend for Father's Day but no plans for a while after that.

I've got things to do Father's day also, but if people are available the 22nd we could try again then and hope we get better weather? Not that "Flash flood warning at start of ride" is hard to improve on weather wise.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Spankydoodle posted:

Picked up my SV today with the generous help of Skreemer! Rode it home no problem (aside from the DFW drivers) and am planning to ride it to work tomorrow as well. It needs a little bit of work but it runs and there were no serious issues. I'd love to join you guys the next time you go out for a ride.

Thanks again Skreemer!

I do all my own work on my bike, and it was fairly beat up when I got it (still pretty beat up) so let me know if you need any help with anything. I have a stand that'll lift up the front/rear without loading the suspension that should work on a first gen also.

Not sure when we're riding again, I think of all the rides we've done this one starting in Mckinney is my favorite. I think FM4 out by Granbury has a bit more in terms of elevation/twisties but it's not nearly as convenient. Both are good though if you're looking for somewhere near Dallas to get some riding in.

I know kuffs said he was busy the 22nd, anyone up for trying to ride out to Oklahoma the 29th? I also want to do a motorcycle camping trip sometime but I need to work out my kit and figure out how to avoid melting, may end up cheating and just meeting my wife somewhere while she drives the car.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Spankydoodle posted:

I'd definitely appreciate the use of the stand until I get one of my own and perhaps a bit of guidance on the initial servicing. I'm also reading that I shouldn't replace the brake pads on both the front and rear wheels at the same time, so I may only do one for now. What are good brake pads to get?

I just did the standard organic pads from EBC, which is the OEM replacement/equivalent. Part numbers are FA229 and FA231 for the fronts and FA63 for the first gen for the rear. I have a set of the fronts sitting in my garage now because I intended to replace them when I got my bike and my front pads still had a lot of life left. You could also go with sintered pads but I don't have any experience with them, they work better on a track and may not work as well when you aren't braking enough to get them up to operating temperature.

You don't actually need a stand to do anything you're planning except general chain maintenance, which can be done by rolling the bike around though it's a bit of a pain in the rear end. A stand's only required if you're taking a wheel off to replace tires, replacing your chains/sprockets, or doing suspension work.

Alceste posted:

I have been using Rotella-T diesel engine oil and it works great and is relatively cheap. I used Prestone and distilled water for coolant after flushing out the old stuff. Regular DOT4 for the brakes, same deal with flushing out the old fluid but it's a tad more complicated cuz you have to bleed them too.

Skymall, I might be free on the 29th. Really want to try again to make that trip. I was in Broken Bow last weekend and it's pretty up there.

I use Rotella T6 it seems to work fine.

Hopefully we won't get rained out this time, rained at least a little almost every weekend lately.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

I'd like to do that Oklahoma ride as well, but the temperatures are starting to get up there. I rode about 14 hours yesterday covering the 700mi between my dad's house and mine. About 75% of it at 95deg+. The first 8-10 hours were fine with proper gear, but holy poo poo did I start to hate life toward the end.

You get a different base layer or what're you wearing now? I meant to ask before if you had anything under the taichi coolride stuff because I had the ex officio underneath it and it made the whole thing pretty comfortable. I only did about 200 miles on Sunday but it wasn't too bad as long as I kept drinking fluids. Forecast.io says it'll be 87 on the 29th in Oklahoma(93 in Dallas), though at 12 days out they're probably full of poo poo. :v: I think if we wait much longer (or we get unlucky with the weather) it could be tough but I think it's still doable now.

Alceste posted:

I wouldn't admit it in the other threads, where the consensus seems to be if you don't buy Pitbull stands your bike will fall over, but I got one of those cheap two-piece rear paddock stands when they were on sale for $40 at Cycle Gear and in combination with some cheap no-name spools, it works great for chain maintenance. I spin the wheel a lot during the cleaning part, with some trash bags underneath to catch the dripping kerosene, and at least for me that wouldn't be possible without a stand. One time prior to that I used my floor jack and a small piece of 1x6 under the engine to get the rear up in the air and that worked, but it wasn't nearly as stable as I would have liked.

We have enough SV's represented now to make a subgroup. Might be fun to meet up to talk about maintenance/tech and swap stories since we're all doing it ourselves. So far I've rebuilt the forks with stiffer springs and heavier oil, replaced the goddamn fork seals twice (my own fault), mounted new tires, rebuilt and resynced the carbs, replaced the chain and sprockets, replaced the levers, replaced all fluids and the front brake lines and pads, and have done few little mods like the turn signals and a homemade fender eliminator, which also made me have to retrofit a solid state flasher relay. I would be curious to know if you (MNS) have had things better or worse with your second gen and what all you had to do to it.

I haven't tried to use a standard rear stand but what I've read makes it sound kind of awkward to set up by yourself. The Abba stand I have is really simple/safe to use as a 1-man operation, though a bit overkill for chain maintenance, I wouldn't have gotten it except that the first thing I wanted to do to my bike was lower it and a regular rear stand makes it a pain to take off the dogbones. I'm probably going to pick this up so that I can get the wheel off the ground on the road for plugging tires/chain maintenance on overnight rides.

So far I've just done basic stuff: brakes, oil, swap dogbones to lower rear, swapped the seat, checked the valves, swapped the mirrors/front indicators, replaced the levers, replaced the rearsets, throttle tube to R6, adjust all the cables.

My plans are: adjust valves (that has to happen this week basically), swap handlebars, swap windscreen, swap rear shock(ZX14R), rebuild front forks.

I also have a Givi top case to install this week but that shouldn't be a big deal.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

What is the temperature threshold that makes you love or hate life on a long ride? I have only taken relatively short rides in 90+ weather.

How was the valve check for you? I am pretty sure mine are going to be fine but it's the only important spec/clearance that I haven't checked or adjusted yet. I would also like to know how the rear shock works for you. I've been considering that myself, being a fatass that weighs about twice as much as the rider Suzuki designed the bike for, and I have the preload cranked up. The stiffer front forks made a big difference for me so I wonder what I could expect from a new shock.

I've only been riding since October so this is about as hot as it's gotten for me. I'll say that coating myself head-to-toe in tech fabric has gone a long way to making everything more comfortable. I think a few times I've been out it's gotten hot enough where it feels like I'm riding through a blow dryer, I'm guessing that starts in the mid 90s and if it was going to be like that for more than an hour or so of the ride I'm not sure it'd be worth it for me as a fun thing to do. I'm still commuting to work every day on the bike right now though, but it's only about 8 miles.

The valve check wasn't so bad, I've done a lot of stuff on cars over the years but never mucked about with internals beyond a timing belt so it took me a lot of staring at diagrams to figure out what I was trying to accomplish with the valve check. All 4 of my exhaust valves were at the very bottom of the range which is why I want to get the adjustment done as soon as possible. I doubt I'm hurting anything at the moment but I don't want to push it to another interval before I get them all adjusted back out. The adjustment looks a lot trickier since I have to pull the cams off and make sure I don't gently caress up my timing and stuff, generally my experience is mechanical stuff is really easy if you just follow all the directions and keep track of everything you take off :v:. And you aren't afraid to buy exactly the tool you need. I end up with a lot of expensive one-off tools but I figure I'm still a little bit ahead of taking it to a mechanic and it's a lot less headache than trying to make do to save money.

I'm not totally sure what rear shock I want, I'm pretty light so the main reason I want to swap shocks is to get something more adjustable. The zx14 just happens to be the same length as the Gen 2 shock and is readily available on Ebay compared to other options. Also easier to install than GSXR ones.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Also as part of this ride I discovered that the F800GT vibration that so many people complain about is a serious thing that really hurts after 2kmi in a weekend. As such, I am kinda shopping to see what else is out there.

It totally does not strike me as your kind of bike but buy an fz-09 anyway so I can admire it from afar. My wife's car kinda sucked up my new bike funds.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

I have decided to embrace my 30th birthday and seriously consider dadbikes like the FJR1300ES.

I do like the FZ-09, but I don't think it will fulfill enough touring duty. And if I wanted a bike to play hooligan with, I have a line on a 690SMC soooooo.....

I forgot your dad had got a Ninja 1000 (from your other post). Why not get a Ninja 1000 ABS? I'm 33, you don't need a dad bike at 30. You aren't even married :v:.

The 2014 has all the electronic goodies like ABS/TC and it doesn't weigh 650 pounds, comes with optional integrated sidebags for sport touring and all that. I actually thought you were going to go with something more Adventure touring/dualsport like a Versys/tenere/tiger or something like that.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

I wonder how old my kids will have to be before I can afford a dadbike.

Back on the topic of 93+ degree riding, if you had a choice between a solid leather jacket with mesh panels and zippered vents that doesn't fit because you lost a bunch of weight, and a jacket that does fit but is all perforated leather with no vents that can be closed, which would be better?

I re-read that article about hot weather touring and ventilation and I'm starting to wonder if I could handle a long ride like the Oklahoma route, if it's that hot out, with what I have to wear. I don't have funds to invest in a bunch of new gear or fancy base layer stuff. The house and the car have been picking my pockets all year.

My jacket's all perforated leather with no vents and it works pretty well for me. Keep in mind that unless the temperature spikes up it's not going to be over 93 for much if any of our ride. We'll be leaving at 8 so it'll be in the 80s then and heading into the "mountains" of OK where it'll also be in the 80s. Depending on when exactly we get back south into Texas it'll definitely heat up into the low 90s for the tail end of the ride but it should be brief. I think we should plan to do something like ride north early, stop for a snack before noon and then have a late lunch at like 2-4 during the hottest part of the day and then ride back, should minimize our time in temps over 90.

This is the first half of the route, so we'd basically try to stop in maybe Hugo? for a relatively quick break/snack and then eat a fairly late lunch in Mena. As an alternative we could ride to Mena, stop briefly and take some pictures to remember that we rode the whole route, and then go to The end of the trail saloon. It's a little out of our way but not much, we basically go back down the byway as planned, and then head north up 259 instead of south for 7 miles and we're there. Then we'd eat and head back south to start our route home. Adds about 15 miles I guess but it looks like a neat little biker place. I'm sure there're plenty of biker friendly eats in Mena though so either way.

Basically I'd like to be out of Texas before it gets hot, and not back in Texas until like 5pm so it's not so hot :v:. Long as we do that I think we can avoid much in the way of temps over 90. Still a long rear end ride though what's the longest you've done in a single day?

Whole route would look something like this, I think. Not sure what kuffs had in mind for going back but it's something like that, that includes the jog up to the end of the trail saloon.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

Longest ride I've been on was about 6 hours, but it took that long because it was in cold and rain the entire time and I stopped several times to find ways to add layers. Longest ride in fair weather was about 5-5.5 hours, so I'm still pretty soft. I'm not worried about the length of the ride so much as my tendency to get dehydrated.

If we are going to be in the mid 80's for much/most of the time, I'll be fine I think. It was not uncomfortably warm in Broken Bow last weekend by any means, which is right on 259 there, north of Idabel, though it was humid. I have some cheap compression undergarments that seem to work well enough (tried em out the Saturday before we were supposed to go to OK) and I might bring along my ancient old Camelbak, which is very small as those things go.

I like the saloon idea.

Looking at the weather for this weekend it is possible forecast.io is lying to me about the 29th. It's a high of 95 in Dallas this weekend and somehow a high of 93 on the 29th. Hopefully that's accurate. It looks to be maybe 3-4 degrees cooler in the mountainous area we'd be doing our riding in so that should help, and we should be sitting in an air conditioned restaurant during the hottest part of the day. My main concern is that it will rain. Apparently all it does is rain in OK/AR. It's raining all this weekend out until Tuesday at the moment. Maybe it'll get it out of its system and we'll have good weather. I guess on the plus side if the rain agrees to stay light instead of flooding the area it definitely won't be over 90 and we could still go.

My plan now is to pick up one of these neck cooling things from Motoliberty, then gear up at 2:30pm on Saturday and go for a ride and see if I die. Should be about 95.

As far as dehydration goes we rarely ride much more than an hour without stopping to drink/stretch, doubt that'll change any on this ride. Once we get into Hugo the ride breaks itself up pretty nicely into 60-80 mile chunks.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

well I'll be out of state between the 27th and the 29th. If you all go for a run then, have fun and stay safe. Anyone have any plans for this Sunday?

Another way to beat the heat, if you have one of the "tech" shirts, soak it in cool water and wring it out real well between stops. It'll evap the water off and cool you a bit if you don't leave it dripping. (same idea as the neck cooler)

My plan for this Sunday is to do my valve adjustment. If anyone wants to come hangout while I do that you're totally welcome :v:. I have a fairly complete set of tools if you need to get something done.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Sure. Though I don't really have a clean container for coolant so try to pick something up for it if you can. Oil and brake fluid should be fine. More the merrier, having people around should motivate me to actually buckle down and do my valve adjustment. I don't have any experience with it so I keep procrastinating but it reallly needs to happen. I'm also installing new handle bars/stainless steel front brake lines/givi top case. Though I hope to get some of that done today/tomorrow.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Spankydoodle posted:

I'd like to come as well! I ordered a Pit Bull stand but it won't get here until Monday. I wanted to do my oil change/radiator flush/brakes/chain cleaning. If you guys don't mind having a noob around that'd be awesome.

It occurs to me after I wrote the above post that you may have trouble carrying oil, coolant, things to store oil and coolant, brake fluid, brake pads, etc. on your bike on the way to my house :v:. Probably better if you just bring like your brake pads and whatever else and then we can just plan to swing by autozone to pick up anything else in a car.

I'm up for whenever on Sunday, probably just get up and start hammering away at my bike, supposed to go out saturday but hopefully not too hungover. I'll pm/email you guys my address. Going to be hot as poo poo, though.

In other news I got my Givi case installed. A 46 liter case looks hilarious on an sv650 but oh well, having plenty of room for running errands on the bike is worth it, and it comes off pretty easily.

I was going to try to get the new clipons installed also but I haven't really looked up how to take the bars off and figured I'd figure out how that all works before I start just unbolting things from my triple tree. I kind of want to pick up some new grips to put on them anyway, maybe help with the vibration a little.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

PadreScout posted:

we doing a maintenance day? The striple needs a chain cleaning!

Yeah we're meeting up at my place to work on bieks.

What time do you guys want to meet up by the way? I'm going to start around 10 but I have a lot of crap to do so you guys are welcome to show up whenever really.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

if we can get an address, M Night Skymall offered space and tool usage tomorrow.

I emailed you at your username at gmail.com did you not get that?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Good news, I've figured out how to solve Texas' drought problems. I'll just keep planning motorcycle based activities and Texas'll be an inland sea in no time.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

McKinney just tightened their water restrictions even more so someone around here apparently thinks the drought is still getting worse, despite all the rain you've been causing. I guess rain next weekend is a guarantee since that Oklahoma ride is on the calendar again.

I had no hope of going for a ride today, due to all the other stuff I had to do, and I couldn't even do those things because it was all outdoor work so I'm not really sure how to feel about how the day went. I worked on organizing closets at home instead. Woo hoo.

I still think I need to check my valves sometime. MNS did you get to do that job today? How did it go?

Checking the valves is not a big deal, and I'd done it before which is why I knew I needed to adjust them. Adjusting them adds a whole lot more work. The cam chain tensioners are a real pain in the rear end to get off, and it's apparently even worse on the first gen and requires a special tool. I didn't exactly work all day but all I managed to get done was adjusting the valves on the rear cylinder and about half-way through the front. I'll probably go back out there and finish it. It'd go a lot quicker if I had to do it a second time though. Still need to install my new clip-ons and stainless steel brake lines in the front this week too.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Weather's looking pretty good, or at least as good as it can in late June in Texas. It is showing occasional rain in Mena, AR, but it's always saying just a couple hours and light rain, still keeping an eye on it though.

I've had an uh, adventurous week in motorcycle maintenance. Despite having taken my valve covers off before, and put them on, and no issues. And then done it again to adjust them. For some reason the rear cylinder has decided it wants nothing more in life than to vomit oil. I'm pretty sure I've got it locked down finally but I won't know for sure until tomorrow since I have to wait for the RTV to cure. If it still doesn't stop leaking I'll get a new gasket and try again and should still have it done by Sunday but there's a small chance my motorcycle will prevent me from going on my own trip.

On the plus side I swapped my clip-ons for ones with an inch rise over stock and got SS lines in the front and that's all working well. The actual valve adjustment also went fine in the sense that the valves are all now well within spec.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

I'm back to iffy. My track bike *may* be getting delivered some time this weekend and I need to be available to collect it.

What track bike are you getting? You going to do a track day soon?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

I bought a 2001 Honda F4i. Since it's potentially being delivered to the track, I may be doing a trackday as soon as this weekend.

You decide to stay at your job so have track access again?

I've got my oil leak sorted I'm pretty sure, at least the 30 seconds or so I let it run at midnight were oil leak free, I'll give it a more thorough test tomorrow and put the wheel back on, but I'm tentatively good to go do *something* on Sunday. If kuffs is running at Cresson we could go do FM4/something around there and then go check that out. The closer we get to Sunday the more the forecasts are saying rain in Oklahoma. Texas weather looks really nice temperature wise though since it'll be cloudy.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

PadreScout posted:

IS FM4 that one that runs N/S up by Bonham and Whitewright?

Nah, that's usually a bunch of roads you take in order to get on FM697, which is kind of the highlight of riding up north past Mckinney. FM4 runs from Jacksboro to Cleburne. We could do FM455 west out of Mckinney and then head to Jacksboro and do FM4. We finish a fair bit southwest of Dallas though so linking those two together makes something like a 275-325 mile day depending on where you live. Though we could probably shave some parts off FM455 to get that down a bit and take a more direct route to FM4.

The real downside to that ride is that the last 60-90 miles are basically just slabbing it back home through DFW. We could try to do something where we loop around through FM455 and FM697 and then finish in Mckinney, I think it might be possible to get like a 150+ mile loop out of that and finish pretty close to where we started.

It's also back down to scattered light rain for a couple hours in OK. I really want to do that ride but I may wait until the fall or something and hope it stops raining all the time there. Kinda depends on how my bike is looking. I rode it to work this morning and it seemed to be fine once it got done burning all the oil off the exhaust header, but don't want to strand myself 200 miles from home on a Sunday cause that'd suck.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Looking like every man for himself. I'm at a BBQ that might go kind of late. Probably go out for a bit tomorrow but not sure when.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

I don't know what anyone else is doing, but if you have any interest in that, I can plan to be in a specific place at a specific time to meet up, though it would probably be no earlier than 10 AM or so.

I could make 10am. Pick a place that's convenient for you. Left my BBQ at Lake ray Hubbard and accidentally went West. So my bike got a 125 mile test ride. Seems fine. Need to get some new bar ends cause oh man the buzz.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Well hopefully you see this, I'll be at the In-N-Out at 10.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

No worries, had fun riding around near McKinney and talking about being married dudes in their 30s with motorcycles. :v:.

Alceste, how effective is that skull cap thing under your helmet? I'm thinking of coating myself head to toe in tech fabric.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Spankydoodle posted:

I've been riding to work this week after the generous help of M. Night with some of my routine maintenance. Hasn't been too bad and haven't had any scary moments, but going home to Dallas from Fort Worth on 183/35 I go through some loving insane wind. Blows me around a bit on the bike and freaked me out once when I felt the front wheel move a bit more than I would like. Sometimes I have to lean to the side just to go straight.

Only issue I'm having with the bike right now is poor idling. I think, and some of the other riders I've talked to think it's dirty carbs so I bought some B-12 Chemtool to add to my tank and some of the B-12 spray stuff as well that I can spray directly into the carbs. Going to try that out tomorrow or Friday and see how it goes. I really don't want to take the carbs out and clean them but I'll probably have to do that eventually anyway.

I'll try to join you guys the next time you go for a ride but I've heard some of you like to go pretty fast. I've only gone up to 80 so far, usually do 70-75 on the highway. Might need some more miles under my belt before I do tag along.

The wind thing just takes time. I went for my first ride with kuffs a few days after my first time on the interstate, only way to get better at riding bikes is to ride bikes. :) Though you should definitely ride your own ride and not feel pressured to keep up or whatever, we won't leave you.

Speaking of your carb issues, does anyone have a vacuum balancer gauge? I want to try syncing my throttle valves to see if that removes some of the vibration my engine has. If not I'll just pick one up but figured I'd ask around since it doesn't seem like something I'll need every day.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Nothing like riding around the suburbs in the mid-90* weather plus some humidity on an early '80s air-cooled bike.

I've got time this weekend, even if it's poking around downtown. If it's downtown I'll bring the GS450 with the leaky exhaust that's loud as hell.

I'd be up for a ride if people want to go, I'm still commuting to work every day and it's hot as gently caress but I'm not dead or anything.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

There's some goons talking about http://www.sgconvention.com/ this weekend in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032538 and http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605063

I think checking out the arcade and console area might be fun, but the ticket prices are a little steep imo. I only recognize one name in the panel of speakers.

$60 for a weekend pass or $30 for a day pass is steep to potentially see a bunch of youtube personalities I've pretty much never heard of or don't care about. Headliner Inafune is pretty neat though. I'm also interested in seeing if Gearbox has a booth for their new game, Battleborn. Be worth the price of admission(to me anyway) if they were giving out alpha/beta invites or something but I got low hopes. Anyway, if people want to go I'd be willing to check it out and see if I get lucky, or maybe their tabletop area will have something fun.

Edit: There's also a sale/concert at Motoliberty this Saturday, 15% off any item in the store and then music 6 until whenever.

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 10, 2014

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Motoliberty just sent out a reminder email. Looks like the discount is only valid between 3PM and 6PM. Probs wanna adjust our schedule accordingly.

Was going to mention that. I definitely want to get in on the discount, probably using it to pick up the leather pants that go with my jacket since otherwise those'll never see a discount. All the recent crashes around CA have me wanting to be as protected as possible.

I'm up for a ride wherever/whenever, though I think downtown traffic is likely to be interesting in 98 degree weather. My original recommendation was going to be to do a ride that starts at like 7 or 8 on Sunday and then finish with an early lunch.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Well I have the whole work thing on saturday until 10am. You all will know where I'm at. (Gather at "I <3 Kolache" about a block up from Alpha on Midway at 10 - 10:15?) You guys could always meet earlier and just tell me where to intercept...

Spankydoodle, this is probably going to be a low speed in town day, probably a good intro to group rides if that tickles your fancy.

I'll be there at 10 and I'll hang out for a bit, but I have to take my dad to the airport at 12:15. So I'll try to meet back up at motoliberty or something after that.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

So that VFR1200 he was trying to sell me on makes 170hp. That's nuts. The real issue though is I'm trying to imagine myself getting up everyday and enjoying the fact that I have to wheel a 600 lbs monster out of my garage and then ride it 8 miles to work every morning. Even the VFR800 is 530 lbs. Need to go look at the FZ-07 and FZ-09 when they come in. Anyone have a Yamaha dealership they like?

Also I'm home now, if you guys are going to be somewhere for a while let me know, otherwise I'll head over to Motoliberty around 4-ish to try on pants/boots and snag a hotdog or something.

Edit: I found this video for the guys who invited us to the block party: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl85ISO1SFA That would have been interesting.

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 12, 2014

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

PadreScout posted:

I also wired my helmet! I kind of hosed the curtain all up before I discovered you have to remove the cheek pieces first, but I think it will be alright. Im charging the Sena back up so I can test it. I'm pretty excited.

I love my Sena. It does make it so I basically can't hear anyone when they talk to me on group rides but whatever, music!

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

azzenco posted:

Can you show me how you're wiring your Sena's? I've got some ugly electrical tape on there currently but I don't care as long as it works.
Basically shoved the unit itself between the curtain and the shell and then tightened it down. The wire for the right speaker I used a credit card/ID/thin thing to shove up into the same area going around the back of the helmet. You can sort of see that here.

For the speakers I took out the cheek pads and removed the covers on them then dropped the speakers into the space for your ears, ran the wires out the back of the covers. The mic I stuck just below the breath guard and kind of shove the extra wire under the cheek pad. I've had that come loose once when I tugged on it real hard somehow putting on my helmet, but that's it over ~2 months of use and I just pushed it back into the gap when I stopped and it hasn't come out since.
Here's a pic of the whole bottom of the helmet:

Only thing I don't like is I'd have stuck the mic further up into the helmet, it gets a lot of wind noise, but it works.

Basically all the excess wire is trapped underneath my cheek pads so everything stays nice and tight and doesn't get caught on anything.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Z3n posted:

For mounting the sena, you can remove the piece on the bottom of the helmet that the wires are going over and stash them under it. Will prevent them from snagging and protect them a bit better.

The suomy chin skirt will also drastically cut down wind noise for anyone you're talking to.

Hadn't tried to disassemble my helmet that far before. I'd take more pictures but now there's just the Sena unit with some wires immediately disappearing into the area between the shell and the curtain thing. Seems pretty solidly in place now.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I'm doing a kind of test run to see how well I do with 400 mile days, and the weather is looking nice tomorrow in OK, so I'm going ride out to Mena, AR and back tomorrow if anyone's interested. Probably meet at like 8:30am at that Valero on Eldorado Parkway in Mckinney. Rode about 450 miles today so I may be dead tomorrow but I'm like 90% sure I'm going.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

azzenco posted:

How did this go? Or is it still going? I got about 40 miles in yesterday and holy hell was I beat.

Just got back, I got in 999.2 miles this weekend. Entire run out to Mena, AR and back was about 550 miles, out the door at about 8am and back home at 7:30pm. I have no idea how those IBA guys do it, 1000 miles in 24 hours would be completely insane.

My front and rear tires are completely toast now, with the rears showing a lot of cords :gonk:. Otherwise my bike seems to have faired pretty well and I'm confident it'll survive my upcoming road trip. I think 400 mile days are definitely about as far as I want to go and still enjoy all of the riding. The last 200 or so miles today were really not the most pleasant motorcycling miles ever. With enough breaks though it's fine.

Had run riding today Skreemer, my first time leading a group ride, if you can call 2 people that. Only made a couple wrong turns, and one of the roads I wanted to go down ended up being closed for repairs. Overall the trip out there was totally worth it. Definitely the most amazing motorcycling I've done, though I admittedly haven't done a wide variety of motorcycling. Lots of elevation changes and some switchbacks, beautiful views, and it was actually cold once we got on top of the ridge line. Super fun would definitely do it again if we get another bout of not murderously hot weather. The ride out there's pretty long and boring though.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

azzenco posted:

I might have to try to link up with you guys sometime. I've just hit 1,000 on my bike and have gotten a lot more comfortable with being on the bike but still need work on my turns. Not sure if I'd be able to keep up with you though so maybe I should focus on more miles and more turning. This is an awesome way to get around.

We don't go all that fast for sustained periods, and we won't leave you (or anyone else) behind or anything.

I need to take a class in how to GoPro or something cause I'm awful at it, never produces anything I actually want to look at.
Entrance to the Talimena National Scenic Byway:

Curves ahead:

End of the Trail Saloon:

Random picture of Skreemer:

I need to just start taking normal pictures, also fix my mount so it points further up so I have more pictures of the scenery and less pictures of my bug splattered windshield.

I also didn't turn it back on after lunch even though I thought I did, so I only have pictures of the first maybe 1/5th of the curvy portion of the ride. Anyway despite my terrible pictures it's a really awesome place to ride. Real mountains that go up and down and poo poo.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I think I was just frustrated that I didn't turn my GoPro on for the majority of the part I wanted to photograph. Also I do need to remember to take out my phone and take pictures that I can actually frame. I think one of us staring at the cords in my rear tire on 144 about 200 miles from home(and 50+ miles from civilization) would have been good. :v:

Far as the route goes, I think the best way would be to make all haste to Talihina and then basically run 259 and 1 twice. Do what we did except turn around when you get to 144 so you can run that beautiful section of 259 with the switch backs again and then go back down 1 to Talihina, then just head home. That'd cut some miles off and although 144 is definitely not a bad road, it has some real issues with road quality and a lot of it is marked as 30 mph. I guess if you're willing to risk a 40+ over ticket it'd be really fun, and I think we saw about 4 cars on it the entire time but still a little risky and probably more fun to just run back up 259 and head west on 1 instead.

Still means something like 340 miles of slabbing(starting in Mckinney) for ~175 miles of twisties though. Basically this convoluted thing, and then however you want to get to/from Talihina. I'm starting to like slabbing it though, it's kind of relaxing. I may be destined for a Goldwing.

I don't think it's worth trying to do an actual loop, the other roads around there are pretty but not especially fun to ride. You can definitely just start heading south from Mena, and take quite a few miles off the total trip, but I think at that point you're riding a really long way to do a relatively small amount of good riding.

At least according to my butler map we basically hit all the best roads in the area, with only scenic road 1 and that little section of 259 between 1 and 144 rating gold. On the other hand the butler map for Texas starts west of Austin and the other map ends right around the Texas border so it's not like our area of Texas has a lot of gold star roads near it. The closest one in the hill country is about 200 miles from my house and it's a lot shorter than the ones in Oklahoma. Also bound to be a lot less mountainous.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I'd be up for a ride I think.

If anyone's looking for new tires, I got mine done by Texas Supersport, which is some hole in the wall shop off Harry Hines. It was a little (ok a lot) shady, but if I paid in cash it was $310 out the door for Pilot Road 4s on front/rear including mounting/balance(I brought just the wheels in). They didn't charge sales tax.

Was pretty weird though because they originally quoted me 386, which was basically inline with Cycle Gear or trying to get them off the internet and find a place to mount/balance them for less than $40/wheel, but $310 total is crazy, that's less than I'd pay to just buy the tires online at Motorcycle Superstore or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Should we meet at iHeart Kolache again? I think someone else should probably lead since I gotta be home kinda early. MNS, you got any choice roads down south in that Butler Book of Magic?

Sorry got distracted yesterday, I'll see you guys there though.

• Locked thread