Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I swore by the 870 in my first run, but after trying it, I really became a convert to the Carabiner MP-153. 6 capacity instead of the 8 of the 870 but semi-automatic fire. Also it sounds really neat with a silencer.

I could even see myself switching back to it from the RAPTR if I ever need to carry more medium sized magazines for my main gun.

[edit] If only I could mount a laser on the MP-153. And upgrade to an 8 round ammo tube.

The Carabiner MP-153 really is a solid gun, and I appreciate the fact that it exists as an example where something with lower numbers can still be preferable to something with higher numbers.

The Mossberg M590 and Remington 870 are still both excellent bread-and-butter shotguns and (for me at least) have served as one of the earliest milestones in every single one of my playthroughs. There's a palpable shift in the gameplay once you get one of them into working order; a transition in the way fights can be approached with both mutants and other stalkers. For a long time I treated them as virtually indistinguishable from each other, but I suppose the fact that the 870 can accept a handful of holographic sights makes it a skosh preferable over the M590. I don't think there's a pair of guns I've fixed up more frequently than them.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

moot the hopple posted:

Headbobbing in games makes me feel nauseous for whatever reason. I've heard that changing field of view can ameliorate it, but no amount of playing around with it makes it feel right for me. I just straight turn it off.

It’s a really dumb feature because even though your head may bob around when you walk/run in real life, your brain and eyes help “smooth” things out so it’s not a completely nauseating experience. The way it’s implemented in games like this turns it into this completely jarring and disorienting experience that, ironically, is more unrealistic than if they had nothing at all.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

You know what shotgun I never hear people using in GAMMA/Anomaly? The SPAS-12.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I guess a left-mounted canted sight would be okay if you fired left handed? I haven't really thought about that since
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/5f3b1738-ba3a-4f58-a8bf-65fac2950948

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

I've just been using a aps converted to 9x19 for mutant killing. Hp bullets are cheap and easy to make and 20 shots is enough for most groups if your accurate.

I never really use shotguns though, prefer to only have a pistol and assault rifle so I cam carry more junk.

I've been a BIG fan of the APS, even on the highest difficulty/survival settings. Ammo is cheap and plentiful, its FMJ/AP/HP rounds work well for a variety of targets in the early game, it can fire both semi-automatic and fully automatic, it can be modified to have better night sights, to accept a suppressor, and to use 9x19 ammunition, it's easy to repair, and its 20-round magazines are a nice compromise between lower-cap pistols and higher-cap rifles. Oh and of course it can fit in the melee/vision slots.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

This isn't specific to the Pseudogiant, but it's always kind of bugged me how some games will have enemies that can injure you by stomping in your general vicinity. Like what is happening that causes the Pseudogiant's stomp to hurt you from 30 feet away? It's all very mysterious. This also applies to enemies that will shout damage at you.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 20, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The giant meatball stomped the irradiated earth so hard that it ruptured my own meatballs and gave me a stomach ache.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Given how goddamned stupid the original (cut) cat models look, this Anomaly mod looks kind of interesting:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/addons/alternative-cats/

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Worth giving myself acute radiation poisoning to eat.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Namnesor posted:

Two months and nothing. I have conquered the Zone on the back of an M4 Tactical, never finding something in a heavier caliber with a barrel that was over 30% so I could even field repair it up to useable quality. I got every faction, including Bandits, to maximum reputation. I have the best artifacts, the best pelts, only Monolith and Sin dare to contend with me and it always ends poorly for them. So I decided to take Jimble as northward as possible, and into the Generator. I was done, there was nothing else to do, so I was going to dive right into the center, get exploded, and close the book.

That's mental. I've never had an issue with it like this, but I do agree with the goons who suggest it'd be nice to have some way to obtain expert tools. Like combining four advanced toolkits into an expert kit, or maxing out reputation with a particular faction and going on a special mission, etc...just something that would take a while to achieve and would ensure that you were at the approximate appropriate "place" where you should be finding expert toolkits anyway.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You do get expert tools for becoming the #1 ranked stalker in the zone but good luck achieving that without already having them.

Huh I didn't realize that. Yeah that's a bit like getting a $100k cash prize for being a millionaire.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I wish more games had a system like Mags Redux, although I understand that it would be wildly unpopular unless it was optional, and I doubt most games would bother to implement it as a purely optional gameplay mechanic. It can just have such a radical effect on the game and the way you approach fights.

But I can dream…

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I'm gonna be honest: In like 400 hours of GAMMA, I have not once dabbled any further in the artifacts system than occasionally collecting them and stuffing them in lead-lined containers for the home base. So when Grok asked about a 500% condition T3 artifact, I just nodded along gormlessly.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I know the expert tool set is some simple sockets and a chrome butt plug, and nobody can convince me otherwise.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Namnesor posted:

Holy moly this semi-radiant AI mod is a real game changer.

I've always kind of disliked how most stalkers just crowd around campfires all day. Turns out for some reason most NPC jobs have "sit by the campfire" as their highest priority??????? Anyway, this mod fixes that, and everywhere I've been on my newest GAMMA playthrough has felt way more alive; for example the loners at the Northern Farm in Cordon are now actually up on the catwalks on the buildings, and I've spotted a few patrolling the area itself, and I've even caught them scanning for anomalies!

I highly recommend installing this.

That's awesome; I'll definitely have to check this out when I jump back in.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Does anything ever happen when you get the messages saying that someone has taken a hit out on you, or are they just for flavour?

Never noticed anyone hunting me, though by that point generally everyone who might take a hit out on me is getting shot.

There are definitely hit squads that will come after you, and often times you'll get a warning prior to their appearance. Like "I just saw C.O.P. in Rostok; I heard a Monolith squad was looking for him, so he better look out!"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

It's possible that you leave the specific part of the map they're headed to before their lazy asses show up, or they get wrapped up dealing with mutants or an enemy faction before they ever get anywhere near you (probably the most common outcome, like Monolith showing up by a populated part of Jupiter and immediately getting attacked), you might be wearing an outfit that they identify as friendly when they spot you, or their AI simply bugs out and they have a change of "heart".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

ekuNNN, if we're still talking about GAMMA, then to my knowledge: yeah Psysuckers and Psydogs are some of the only mutants that will generate ghosts wherever you find them. However, in certain areas--such as the Miracle Machine lab AKA X-16--pretty much everything will generate ghosts of themselves in the area. Snorks, zombies, etc. The same thing seems to be the case in maps like Radar (at least until the Brain Scorcher is deactivated maybe?) This can be particularly nasty because, as you've observed, the mutants can start generating these ghosts before you ever confront their sources.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Oh that's right, Karliks too. I come across them so infrequently that I forget they exist in between encounters.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Oh yeah that pseudogiant in the tunnels; I always run by it and don’t bother trying to dispatch it since it seems like a losing proposition, especially after slogging through X16

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

I have to say I'm prepared to be disappointed by the gameplay when it comes out, cause it'll be a vanilla stalker game and I'm so used to all the hardcore survival mods now

Yeah same. That's not Stalker 2's fault of course, and I'm sure a lot of people will like it as is, but I'm mentally preparing for that inevitability.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I quite liked how metro exodus did handling, guns got noticeably more sluggish to aim with as they got heavier, the double action trigger had a minute delay before it would fire, making it just slightly worse for precision shooting.

The changes were slight but it added just enough control lag to make it feel like you were fighting with the gun a bit to land a shot, whereas running with minimal crap on it made it more responsive.

Definitely. A lot of the Metro weapons have always had these minute details and factors that give them a lot of personality so weapon selection is more nuanced than picking whatever does the most damage.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I enjoy thinking of canonical reasons why a mutant like a snork doesn't have salvageable hands like 90% of the time I kill one.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I'm sure a lot of people have already heard, but since I don't think it's been brought up in this thread yet, STALKER 2 has officially had its release date pushed to Q1 2024 https://wccftech.com/stalker-2-is-delayed-to-q1-2024-says-official-fact-sheet/

The good news is that it at least appears to be real, and various outlets are getting their hands on it https://www.pcgamer.com/stalker-2-hands-on-gamescome/

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Floor is lava posted:

when did the name change from Chernobyl to Chornobyl

Apparently Chernobyl is the Russian spelling, whereas Chornobyl is the Ukrainian spelling. I don't know when, specifically, this changed with STALKER, but I know that after Russia's 2022 invasion of Ukraine, efforts were made to reemphasize the spelling and/or pronunciation of Ukrainian words. You see the same thing happen with "Kiev" (Russian) --> "Kyiv" (Ukrainian)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

Looks like the upcoming patch is also going to change it so that doing a quest will give you rep with the quest giver's faction but also negative rep with all their opposed factions. You can sorta get a taste of that in the current build if you disguise into the merc base and do like a tools turn-in quest which will piss off Duty.

Could make things more interesting if Loners will no longer be able to straddle neutrality between Duty and Freedom and now have to pick a side.

It's probably not for everybody but I really like the sound of this.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

It'd be cool if UNISG NPCs shrunk and sped up when they got hit, getting smaller and faster until they vanished entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Also the APS is probably my favorite starting gun in GAMMA so far, theres no feeling like mag-dumping a boar with HP rounds and having it die at my feet, when even the double barrels would falter. And it works fine as a budget SMG in every other situation.

The APS is definitely my go-to starter gun. Semi-automatic, fully automatic, accepts a suppressor with simple modification, common and cheap ammunition that covers all of the bases (FMJ, AP, HP) for early gameplay, etc. I never leave Cordon without it.