Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I need to create a new world to see all the new ore/dungeon stuff, right?

edit: I just activated hard mode in a pre-1.2 world and the demon altars are giving me Titanium, so it seems existing worlds can get the unique ores, but you probably have to have activated hard mode after 1.2.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Did you just de-corrupt them? I had an issue where I couldn't use recently de-corrupted rooms until the start of the next day.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Yeah, and it now holds one of the most annoying enemies in the game. Who knew Redigit would finally manage to create a threatening mage-type enemy?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I think it's the jungle. The best way to farm them is to wait for a Blood Moon or Solar Eclipse, then run to the biome and start massacring.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The spells you find in the hardmode dungeon are god damned amazing. Magnet Sphere is the best, and "Murderous Rainbow Gun" is apt naming. Feels like for the first time ever magic isn't the joke option.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Well, the Spectre set bonus is completely broken. It gives 10% lifesteal from all spells you cast, and I can basically kill every boss by mindlessly tossing spells at them while making a token effort to avoid their attacks.

The White Dragon posted:

I love seeing the different building philosophies of the people who play this game. Sometimes I see a fella who posts his or her epic castle, and sometimes I see a minimalist apartment complex. Then you have stuff like this where you've got a clustered village but everyone has their own little place.

Me, I'm a very solitary kinda guy. My Terraria buildings are individual houses, some more grandiose than others, separated by more or less the maximum allowed distance between NPCs to prevent daytime spawns, so pretty much the center 1/3 of my map is this vast city of glass, wood, and stone with plenty of grasslands and hills in between. I'll get a screenshot either tonight or tomorrow when my usual host is on.

Yeah, I'm a :effort: apartment complex kind of guy. YOU'VE BEEN CHOSEN TO GET HORRIBLY MUDERED BY ZOMBIES, GHOSTS, AND FRANKENSTEIN, CITIZEN. EXPECT A CLASS-F DWELLING. YOU WILL BE PROVIDED WITH A TABLE AND A CHAIR.

Most of all it's for my convenience. I'd love to build a good looking ensemble of stylish, individual houses, but not as much as I'd love to have all the NPCs within two seconds of each other and my stash/crafting station.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I'm having a lot of trouble finding the Ice Key -- gone through a whole Solar Eclipse, Blood Moon, and numerous nights with Battle potions without finding it. It can be found on the surface biome, right?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

When are the kinds of HM ore you get determined? When you make the world, when you enter hardmore or when you smash your first altar?

It's one of the latter two. I started playing 1.2 on a character who was just about to beat the Wall of Flesh on a world generated during 1.1, and one of his hard mode ores was Titanium.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Gonkish posted:

So here's a random question from a relative newbie: how the gently caress do I get back down to the underworld quickly? I mean, I could dig straight down for ages, but I feel like there has to be some sort of teleportation that I'm missing.

If you have a friend, it's really easy to build a tunnel to hell. Both of you stand in the same hole; one targets the tile on the left, the other targets the tile on the right. Now hold LMB for about two minutes. Make sure to leave a pool of water near the end to break your fall, bring gills potions if you want to save some trouble because you will inevitably end up with a small lake's worth of water seeping into your tunnel.

If you're alone, it's kind of a pain because you have to move your mouse around a lot.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Is there a way to prevent the game from pausing when it's not the active window?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Has anyone else run into the glitch where reaching 100 gold coins via selling stuff doesn't create a platinum coin despite consuming the 100 gold coins? It's sort of irritating.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

Has anyone else run into the glitch where reaching 100 gold coins via selling stuff doesn't create a platinum coin despite consuming the 100 gold coins? It's sort of irritating.

gently caress I just got hit by it again while trying to figure out a way around it. It's really god damned obnoxious. Seems the only way to avoid it is to store/throw away your gold before selling stuff and then pick it up again.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Well, I finally got a Frozen Key, and I almost wish I hadn't because the dream of using the Tiki Armor set to summon five hydras was too good to be so cruelly shattered.

I mean come on, it wouldn't be any more broken than the Magnet Sphere and the Spectre set.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

It's a pretty bad spell, but I really like the Staff of Earth. Nothing like swinging a staff not for some pansy rear end magic, but to toss a big loving boulder at fools. Its damage is directly dependent on its velocity, so once it slows down it just does nothing (although at maximum speed its damage is much higher than the tooltip states).

Dumlefudge posted:

In other (rather old) news, grinding the hardmode dungeon keys is a bitch though... I really want to see how badass the Hydra is.

It's not that impressive. He's good for hunting down enemies on the other side of a wall if you don't feel like digging through (can be summoned anywhere on your screen), but his DPS is so-so, and I'm pretty sure he can't crit.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 6, 2013

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Dumlefudge posted:

Really? Bah, lame... I suppose I'll get back to roasting fools and, once I feel like doing a lot of digging, make a big crater in the middle of my underground biomes (I'm torn between starting in the Jungle and Hallow because who doesn't want to shoot piranhas or piss rainbows) so I can set up a nice big killing field to make mob grinding just a little bit less tedious.

Don't get me wrong, having it is much better than not having it. He doesn't take damage, is somewhat accurate, lasts a long time, and his damage is decent. There's no reason not to throw him out whenever for the extra ~150 damage per second, but he's just not going to look all that impressive. He doesn't change your game as much as the all-powerful Rainbow Gun.

Now if only the Tiki set let you summon more than one...

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

President Ark posted:

Rather than a whole bunch of weird counterintuitive poo poo that only applies to bosses I'd rather they just nerf the spectre armor.

The issue is that if you nerf the spectre armor, mages will have literally no ability to solo bosses; they have no defense, low-ish damage, and need an extra accessory slot for an accessory that does nothing but give them mana. What I'd do is cut the invincibility period on hit universally so that mages have to actually make an effort to dodge poo poo and can't just sit there and heal through the boss' damage.

LAY-ZX posted:

Is it just me or were ranged builds kinda shafted in this update? Craftable Jester Arrows were cool, and the shotbow is pretty nice, but my buddy playing a mage spent 20 minutes in the hardmode dungeon and left with six different ways to end the world, and even melee seems to have a wide selection of new sharp sticks to use as well as the crazy turtle armor. Did ranged builds even get a new armor set?

They get the highest DPS in the game... eventually. You'll need the shroomite set and something like the Stynger or the Sniper Rifle.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

On the other hand, making the Spectre Set have piss-poor defense is a possible compromise. It's still numerically better in Defense than Hallowed mage gear, if only by a single point. Dropping its defense down to the level of Cobalt or even Meteor armor would have a much more noticable effect on the ability to tank, and might make avoiding hits still a necessary measure.

I don't think defense matters enough at low values to make a big difference. If you were to drop it to the level of Cobalt, you'd only take on average 8 more damage per hit which isn't much. It would have to be either a nerf to the lifesteal percentage or to the invincibility period. Magnet Sphere also definitely needs a damage nerf.

The lifesteal percentage nerf might actually be the best idea; try seeing and dodging enemy projectiles while you have Magnet Sphere and Rainbow Gun out and are blasting Shadowbeam.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Kanos posted:

"literally no ability to solo bosses" is an interesting interpretation.

You're wrong about a couple things; first off the Spectre Armor has 19 less defense than Shroomite, not 10. The Destroyer is the easier boss by far and not a metric for anything (in my view, the Twins or maybe Plantera is the hardest boss in the game) and although I was wrong about low-ish damage (it's much lower than ranged builds, but certainly not bad), the point is that without the lifesteal, mage builds generally can't outlast bosses. Maybe my eyes are just bad but I can't dodge projectiles when there's a Magnet Sphere, a Rainbow Gun, a Hydra and whatever else out on the field since I can't even see them.

Another thing that could be done to help with soloing endgame bosses is a modification to movement mechanics so that it's not an awkward pain in the rear end to move around. Increase the base movement speed and left/right acceleration, make upward flight faster.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

The argument is less 'the Spectre set absolutely needs to be nerfed' and more 'let's not make other parts of the game harder just to compensate for it'. At least, that's what it started as.

My position is rather that other options should be brought on par with the broken stuff. There are very few endgame spells actually worth using (Magnet Sphere, Rainbow Gun, Shadowbeam and arguably Inferno Fork although I think it's just a worse Rainbow Gun) even though there's at least ten of them, and ranged builds are the only ones that don't get any lifesteal.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

My point of view regarding picks vs. drills is gently caress drills. They sit in place and cover up blocks adjacent to your character as you're trying to mine them and it's a major pain in the rear end.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Spacemarine9 posted:

I learned a startling fact about Egypt. They built pyramids right next to each other and also way up in the sky, and they put houses on top of them.

There were three pyramids, all a short walk away from each other, all towering high in the sky. And they all had floating islands at the very tip, too. It was weird.
I got two magic carpets and a Pharaoh set. I wanted a sandstorm in a bottle! :argh:

Goa'Uld invasion confirmed for next content patch?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

It's impossible to lose any biome to Corruption or Hallow anymore with the introduction of the almighty Clentaminator. I haven't actually played with Crimson yet but I assume it gets annihilated by it, too.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

If your NPCs get killed they won't respawn if their home is corrupted, since corruption (and hallow I guess? don't know for sure) make housing unsuitable.

Hallow is fine. Only corruption (and I assume Crimson) prevents NPCs from moving in.

It's still moot because you can revert everything easily with the Clentaminator if you need to.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I wish some of the NPCs could defend themselves. Seems like some of them should be able to (Arms dealer, Wizard, Demolitionist and the like).

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Is there a way to force my world to have an Eclipse?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I don't know, I would've liked it if the nerfs to Spectre Armor and the Vampire knives also came with mechanical changes to make it more possible for a skillful player to solo bosses. Now we don't have stupid overpowered lifesteal, but movement is still awkward and slow, making dodging a pain in the rear end. Red just needs to get rid of left/right acceleration already.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Grillburg posted:

For example, two buckets of Sky Blue paint will combine to one bucket of Deep Sky Blue paint, which will work on background gray walls. Not sure why this is, maybe to differentiate between foreground and background colors.

Much like the different dyes, normal paint and deep paint affect different color palettes. You have to try different kinds and see what works; for example just about nothing except "X and silver" dyes will have any significant impact on Spectre armor.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

1.2.0.3 trip report: the Spectre Armor nerfs... change basically nothing, except you might now have to make a token effort to avoid damage against some bosses.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

You can also just buy a ton of purification powder and go beat up the Corruption/Crimson a bit if it's getting too close to your base.

Did nobody ever notice the Clentaminator in the Steampunker's shop inventory? It reverts an entire screen's worth of hallow/corruption/crimson to normal blocks (dirt, stone blocks and sand) in about one second.

Biome spread is a complete non-issue.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

Anyone who's used the Specter staff a bit wish to comment on how it plays? I'ld like to know how it compares to other dungeon magic.

It's bad. It fires a slow missile that does crappy damage and costs more MP than it should. Also look forward to the Rainbow Gun; it's amazing. Inferno Fork and Nettle Burst are just crappy versions of the Rainbow Gun, although the Inferno Fork has a slight bit of utility in hitting stuff through walls.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Paladin's won't throw hammers so long as you're horizontal from them; they'll just slowly trundle towards you while you shoot them full of (a lot) of holes.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

RatHat posted:

Speaking of UI, is there anyway to use potions in your inventory without having to drag them to your character? Ditto with the Magic Mirror.

Press H. It'll use the first potion (considering left before right, up before down) in your inventory -- make sure it's not a stupid mushroom.

J will use the first mana potion, and B will use all the buff potions you have at once.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

LAY-ZX posted:

Right click buffs in the hotbar to turn them off.

Also Gills potions no longer drown you outside of water.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

According to the wiki, a placed Water Candle has the same effect (but does not stack with) a held Water Candle.

Huh? The wiki says the opposite:

quote:

Multiple placed candles do not stack, but the bonuses from holding and placing a candle do.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

TJChap2840 posted:

Just popping in to let everybody know that I have finally finished the update and that it is compatible with 1.2.0.3. You can find it at https://terrariviewer.codeplex.com/releases/view/113343

That link gives me a 404, but I was able to download it from the main page.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Mental Midget posted:

I've only been summoning him underground so far though by breaking 3 heats in a row. Any tips on ways I can summon him on my terms so that Im not underground in cramped caves when I fight him?

Build a sort of box out of wooden platforms (you can do this in one of the open areas of the Crimson, if you want) and use your grappling hook to quickly pull yourself away from it when it spawns, while shooting it.

Always have a Regeneration + Ironskin potion going when fighting bosses (regeneration is daybloom + mushroom + water bottle, ironskin is daybloom + iron ore + water bottle); they are extremely easy to mass-produce and make a massive difference in your survivability.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Talking of traps, The flame spewing ones, I've only seen them on videos/pics, is that because they are they hard mode items?

I haven't seen them either; they're one of the traps that are generated in the Temple, but it seems they're not always included.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Hummingbirds posted:

How'd you kill him?

I doubt it'd be remotely in my skillset but I'm still curious.

e: I love the skeletron head by the way :3:

He used to be really easy to kill -- you only had to take two hits from him with the Turtle Armor set to kill him. Of course Redigit saw that, wagged his finger, went "tsk tsk," and dropped his damage to 1000. Basically you get a bunch of people together, each equipped with the turtle set, place a spawn point right next to where you're going to trigger him, and die a lot.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You don't need to be in hardmode to get the chest items -- they spawn at world gen. You only need the keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Rashomon posted:

Hey, what should my goals be to be able to fight the mechanical bosses in hard mode? I am getting my rear end kicked despite just finishing Titanium armor and having a couple good weapons (Golden Shower and a Beam Sword). Any advice?

For Destroyer:

-Ironskin + Regeneration potions (feel free to add more, but those two are easy to make and give a solid advantage)
-An arena with a campfire, a heart lantern, and as many heart and star statues connected to triple-wired 1-second timers as you found in the world (you'll want at least one of each)
-A mage type with Golden Shower and Nimbus Rod will crush him quickly.
-You'll want to kill him first, because he's the easiest (his flying drones drop healing hearts), and his boss soul is required to build the Megashark, which will crush The Twins and work extremely well against Skeletron Prime

For Skeletron Prime:

-The potions and the arena that you used for Destroyer
-Craft a Megashark and used ranged options for him; Ichor Bullets are the best for their synergy with Megashark's low damage/high attack speed

For The Twins:

-After killing either other boss, they Steampunker will appear at your town. She sells the item you need to make asphalt. Make a ton of asphalt, and build a very long runway up in the sky.
-Equip the Megashark and your ranged gear, and easily crush the Twins by simply running away on asphalt while shooting backwards.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 24, 2014

• Locked thread