Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So I figured I'd start out a 1.2 world today and rush it into a servicable Small Hardmode world.

I spawned in the forest with two Queen Bees attacking me and the guide. :psypop: I have no idea how or why this happened, and I've never found any actual hives, but I'm drat lucky I started the world with my 1.12 endgame character; even then it was a clusterfuck. It was worth it in the end because now I have a BEE CAPE.

I think it was a glitch, but it's certainly set the tone for my adventures in 1.2 hardmode. loving hell, hardmode jungle and hardmode dungeon are psychotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Potential BFF posted:

Ah okay, I thought the new ores were an all or nothing deal, thanks.

Nah, the game goes through several a or b checks:

Corruption OR Crimson, with the associated items - Demonite/Eater of Worlds/Shadow Orbs vs Crimtane/Brain of Cthulhu/Crimson Hearts
Copper OR Tin
Iron OR Lead
Silver OR Tungsten
Gold OR Platinum
Cobalt OR Palladium
Mythril OR Orichalcum
Adamantine OR Titanium

There MIGHT be a check between Living Wood OR Pyramid, but I can't confirm that; I've certainly never seen both in one world though.

EDIT: v Yeah, that's what I meant. Good to know they CAN both be generated in the same world, at least.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 2, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Lord Justice posted:

Well, I might be the first frustrated and disappointed with the update. Leaving whether stuff shows up in the world to the RNG was a pretty dumb move. My world has no living trees, no pyramids that I can see, and it got stuck with Corruption. I'd like to see the Crimson, and you know, experience the new content. Guess my best option is making another world, scouting it, and making another if it has Corruption. Hopefully a world edit program will be made available for 1.2 soon so I can force the game to spawn everything properly.

You can actually tell Crimson/Corruption during worldgen at least, if you pay attention. If you've got Corruption, you'll get the standard "Making the world more evil" message, whereas if you get the Crimson, instead you'll get a "Making the world more meaty" message.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I started over completely and I don't regret it at all. Starting up is a completely new experience, with a much, much smoother advancement curve due to ropes/homemade hooks/wooden armour/more chests/etc.

Yeah, it gets a lot less smooth once you hit hardmode. :gibs:

You wanted hardmode ores? Enjoy having fun living in abject fear of wandering into an underground biome - ANY underground biome - by accident! Even mushroom forests are lethal. Hell is the safest place on the entire map by orders of magnitude.

Shukaro posted:

It's scary how good the Hermes Boots are now that you can walk up 1-block ledges.

I am on an endless quest to find an aglet. It's amazing how I can't seem to find a single surface chest with one any more.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SirSamVimes posted:

It was my second or third Hardmode night. Maybe it's programmed to give you one early boss to gently caress you up? If so, that's the best thing.

I haven't seen any of those messages yet, though random trash mobs keep dropping hardmode boss spawning items. I thought it was a glitch that I got a Mechanical Worm from a Hellbat, but then an Armored Skeleton dropped a Mechanical Skull. :psyduck:

So how do you get the mushroom NPC? I've seen comments about wandering around hardmode mushroom patches, but that's not doing anything...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ashsaber posted:

Okay, there's definitely something off with how suitable NPC housing is determined now. I just went back to my old worlds and noticed an NPC moved, and the room they used to stay in was deemed unsuitable, despite nothing changing. So I put down a table and a chair, and added another torch, and it was still seen as unsuitable. Any idea what's changed?

Chances are it's just a smidge too small, I'd wager, or it uses background walls that weren't player-placed. Try expanding it a little, putting down some wall if it's not already there?

efb :argh:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Akett posted:

The swords seem to be better than Excalibur in one way, but worse in another, either stronger but slower or faster but weaker.

Live through a pirate attack and I guarantee that you'll get something better than Excalibur in every way except for size and light-production. That plus a set of the chlorophyte armor turns you into a goddamn cuisinart.

EDIT: Too bad that melee is almost completely the worst idea in the Underground Jungle.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FirstPlayer posted:

I learned to respect the hardmode dungeon when 30 blocks into it I suddenly take 170 damage and die from a 'sniper bullet' while wearing a full set of hallowed armor and all Warding accessories. :stonk:

Snipers aren't all that bad! Sure, they do metric fucktons of damage, but they're slow doing it and don't cause any debuffs. loving rapid-fire sorcerors smacking me for 50+ a pop and darkness, on the other hand... :argh: And that's full Hallowed+Warding+Ironskin! I may actually need to actually invest in that Turtle Armor, or at least a good suit of Chlorophyte.

Never mind that mining Clorophyte Ore is an exercise in getting harassed until I explode like a meat balloon by goddamn moss hornets. On top of that, my only source of surface Hallow is right in the middle of some corruption so I have a bitch of a time farming Pixie Dust for Greater Healing Potions.

I don't think I'm very good at this game.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dareon posted:

Naturally it was just a really dense spawn of traps that happened to get their wires crossed, but it made an impression on me.

In the dungeon in my current world, there was a King Statue right in the path of a dart trap.

I lost half my NPCs on my first hardmode trip before I realized what the gently caress was happening. :downs:

delta534 posted:

The house has to be in an above ground mushroom biome for the truffle to show up.

How do you actually GET an above-ground Mushroom Biome anyway, short of steampunk shenanigans that I can't afford since Redigit fixed all the easy money glitches?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Goodpancakes posted:

Can you still make a crab engine?

You can, but I'm about 90% certain that it no longer drops any coins.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ignimbrite posted:

Hardmode jungle does NOT gently caress around :stare:

The interestingpainful thing is that the armor set and spellbook you can get in the Hardmode Dungeon help immensely with exploring the Hardmode Jungle (Magnet Sphere is ludicrous in a wide-open enemy-infested area), whereas the armor sets you can make with Chlorophyte (especially the Turtle Armor) are the best way to survive in the Hardmode Dungeon.

Choose which biome you want to be brutally sodomized in first! :gibs:

(In all honesty, if you have a Megashark, the HM Jungle isn't too bad save for obnoxious poison damage... just don't try to fight the boss there unless you really, really know what you're doing. It's probably the easier of the two brand-new hard mode areas, not counting the Temple.)

Asehujiko posted:

What is currently the "best" pure mobility setup? I currently have Wings/Bundle of Balloons/Ankh Shield/Lightning Boots for flight/flying higher/running through enemies/running faster and I'm wondering if I'm better off with Lava Waders or Ninja Gear for the last slot.

I'm actually finding that underground, I'm having a lot better mobility with a simple Sandstorm Balloon/Wings than a Bundle. Something about how the Bundle/Boots/Wings interact makes it really hard to go where I want to go, which is a significant problem when trying to fight hardmode bosses underground.

The Ankh Shield is utterly indispensable, though. It is without question worth every bit of grinding needed to get it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask, but, do the hardmode bosses also have trophies? Because I'm really not looking forward to having to grind Skeletron Prime forever...

I got a Spazmatron Trophy just from killing half of the Twins (Dawn hit before I could kill Retinazer and get the actual reward) so it's safe to say that yes, hardmode trophies are a thing.

Powercrazy posted:

(also you could make the crimson rain much better).

It's called a Nimbus Rod, it's a drop from those weird clouds that show up in rain, and it's basically a Crimson Rod+.

RareAcumen posted:

How badly buried are Pyramids? I've been going through small worlds looking for one and I've been able to find a bunch of those giant trees but no luck otherwise.

As far as I know, the peak of the pyramid always breaks the surface, even if it's only by one or two blocks. Also, Sandstone is easy to distinguish from actual sand if you're looking.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ShadeofDante posted:

You go and build a dedicated party room for the party girl, naturally.

I'm still not sure rainbow brick walls would work better than the multicolored stained glass I used.

It's really amazing how much of a difference the Specter armor's set bonus makes, when combined with fast, accurate magic. I went from not being able to survive any of the hardmode bosses past the Twins to being able to solo Plantera and Skeletron Prime both without touching a single healing potion.

EDIT:

Ashsaber posted:

I'm looking for a world with crimson and snow biomes for my singleplayer game so I can do the new hardmode content, but the one stipulation I've set other than biome presence is pissing me off to fufill. Who knew it was so hard to get a small world where the jungle isn't immediately eaten by the crimson?

I've noticed that small worlds seem to have problems cramming all the biomes in now; there's some sort of collision between any combination of Jungle, Desert, and Snow that means at least one of the four is going to get completely devoured by Crimson/Corruption. I'm not sure why exactly that is, but it's happened in every single Small world I've gen'd. (Well, correction: Sometimes the crimson/corruption is devoured by the snow biome instead of the other way around.) In general, the biomes seem way too cramped aboveground in a Small world now; I'd go for Medium if you want a good amount of diversity but don't want to be setting wires forever for teleporters.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 5, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

canepazzo posted:

I came back for 1.2, I've got full mithril armor, most non-hard mode weps and wings - what's my next step? Adamantite Armor, go for Hallowed Armor or skip and get 1.2 armor? Anything from 1.2 I should farm to make old hard mode bosses easier?

If you actually have a decent way of farming the hardmode dungeon enemies without taking damage, it might be best just to head straight for the Ectoplasm you need for the Specter armor, and hope you get a copy of Magnet Sphere to drop at the same time. Once you get those two things, you'll go from being brutalized by the old hardmode bosses to being able to solo them without needing a single potion.

Barring that, if you can reliably kill the Destroyer, you can at least get part of the Hallowed Armor; I'm not sure if the new recipe requires souls or not, but all the 1.1 hardmode bosses drop Hallowed Ore now instead of you needing to smush all three hardmode sets together.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nahxela posted:

There are clothier voodoo dolls you can get, I forget from where, though. Monsters in the Dungeon? IIRC, that was the Skeletron resummon item.

Dark Casters and Skeletron himself both have chances of dropping it. And yes, then you have to chuck it into lava like you do the guide doll. For as nice as the idea of resummoning Skeletron is, it's really just a lot easier to generate a new world if you really want the stuff he drops.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Vorpal Cat posted:

For people people just starting out or starting a new character the first thing I would do would be to head strait for the desert, look for a pyramid and grab as much cactus as you can, just mine out the sand block right below the cactus you can harvest one in a fraction of a second. within 5-10 min of starting new game you could be decked out in full cactus armor, the equivalent of full copper, with a cactus sword, which dose more damage then a copper sword and has longer reach. And if you really lucky you might even have a sandstorm in a bottle solving most of your early game mobility problems.

This is, of course, assuming that the world doesn't generate with Corruption (or less brutally, Crimson) right between the spawn point and the nearest desert. A starter character has pretty much no way to survive in those biomes, and crossing Corruption chasms with basic mobility (no hooks/jump boosters) is ridiculously difficult.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, really, you didn't do anything wrong - it's just that a large world is huge so it's gonna take you, on average, about twice as long to go much of anywhere.

On the plus, you've got a hell of a lot more room to spelunk!

(To put it in perspective, a large world is four times the size of a small world, being twice as wide and twice as tall overall. This means that things are generally less clustered, but it also means that you'll spend a lot of time trying to get to where you were last time you played.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 6, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

nessin posted:

Something I forgot in my previous post, are there any editors or anything out that will allow you to forcibly spawn the Tinker or just set him as already found on a save? Bugging the hell out of me that I haven't found him, even with about 3 hours dedicated to just wandering around caves after my first Goblin Army.

TEdit has options to force-spawn NPCs; it's how I got the Party Girl on my main world.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Akett posted:

The more mud you have the longer it takes to spread, but you can use multiple bits of ore spread out to make it go faster.

So it basically spreads the same way that mushroom/jungle grass does, except it converts past the outermost layer of the mud.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The Vampire Knives healing isn't so much of an issue if their damage is nerfed (considering how goddamn hard it is to farm a Crimson Key) but the only way I can see to fix the Spectral Armor issues is to remove the healing set bonus altogether. Even if you ignore the holy trifecta of Magnet Sphere/Inferno Fork/Golden Shower, there's still Cursed Flames and Crystal Shards to contend with there as a source of rapid-fire health.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Heavy neutrino posted:

What I'd do is cut the invincibility period on hit universally so that mages have to actually make an effort to dodge poo poo and can't just sit there and heal through the boss' damage.

Counterpoint: Cross Necklace exists, as do the recipes that use it.

On the other hand, making the Spectre Set have piss-poor defense is a possible compromise. It's still numerically better in Defense than Hallowed mage gear, if only by a single point. Dropping its defense down to the level of Cobalt or even Meteor armor would have a much more noticable effect on the ability to tank, and might make avoiding hits still a necessary measure.

This leaves the problem that Turtle Armor + Vampire Knives still exist, but it's possible that nerfing the damage on the knives will make up the difference.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 7, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Devour or Fire posted:

Cholorophyte bow, magic quiver from the skeleton archers, and an archery potion. I wish there were more bows with unique attributes, it feels like all the creativity is going to guns.

I thought guns were bows except for the ammo they used. :psyduck: You mean the Archery potion really is useless for 90% of the ranged builds in the game?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LAY-ZX posted:

I have discovered the best buff in a video game.

It is the Baby Dinosaur buff. The effect of the Baby Dinosaur buff is that I have a Baby Dinosaur. The Baby Dinosaur has his own personal Baby Pterodactyl for flying. Truly a very powerful buff.

Looking at this again: What's that crystal? Is it another light source like the fairy/orb/wisp?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I have an idea to make a Doom/Quake-themed loadout with the new explosive weapons and a shotgun, but I dunno what armor to use in the vanity slots to make it look 'close'. Going to be using Shroomite stuff for the actual gear, though.

Wood Helmet, with Jungle Shirt and green-and-black dyed Crimson Greaves would get you the Quake guy's design pretty well.

For the Doomguy, I'd say a Meteor Helmet, Mythril Chainmail and Greaves, with Lime/Black dye on the helmet and green dye on the armor.

I haven't tested any of this, though, so the dyes may completely gently caress up the look.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pr0phecy posted:

Requesting pictures of said outfits.

Turns out that dye is both more and less effective on different outfits than I expected, and that with the right combinations of dyes, the Jungle Shirt and Crimson Greaves worked better for both types. I'm still looking for a better dye for the Doomguy helmet, though.

For the Doomguy, that's a Lime/Black Dye, Green Dye, and Green/Black Dye (since I was lacking other dyes to experiment with and didn't want to farm them :effort:) on a Meteor Helmet, Jungle Shirt, and Crimson Greaves.

Whereas Quakedude came out far better with a simple Lime/Black, and a Wood Helmet. Copper (or some sort of dyed iron) would likely work almost as well, though.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 8, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

An iron helmet would probably go well with the Quake outfit, since it has that 'tactical' helmet sorta look. The wood seems a tiny bit too blocky, even if the Quake models were a bit lackluster in detail.

Yeah, I was thinking similar, but I'm not sure what color would give the iron that properly rusted look.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TwystNeko posted:

So I've just gotten to hardmode on my main world. I managed to get a frost staff, which is making things manageable right now. However, I can't find a demon altar for the life of me. Crimson ones are broken right now, and can't be destroyed at all. :(

Any tips for finding altars?

Start a new world, if the Crimson Altars are actually unbreakable. They completely replace demon altars in any world with Crimson.

EDIT: Yeah, you have to use the Pwnhammer or Hammush to smash 'em, nothing else works.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TwystNeko posted:

Do I have to set the new world to hardmode as well?

Yeah. You can't destroy demon altars before the Wall of Flesh, even with a Pwnhammer.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dizz posted:

So I just killed Plantera and got a Pygmy staff. Is the Tiki set very good or should I just stick with the Spectre stuff and Magnet Sphere / Magical Harp everything?

Combined with a fake meteor biome and obsidian shield, a full legion of pygmies is integral to farming hardmode biome keys, it appears. They attack on their own, so you can go do other things like have a life instead of being bored out of your mind.

They're mostly a gimmick, though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

Man, I was way more worried about the Eye of Cthulhu than I should've been. Being able to loving Spiderman my way around my world's living tree and a nearby tower I'd built combined with my Diamond Staff made quick work of him. :science:

If I felt he was really, really easy, do I stand a good chance versus the Eater?

That depends. How much trouble do you have with Devourers/Giant Worms? The Eater of Worlds is basically a boss form of that; it's really less about dodging attacks like the eye is and more about damage racing it. If you have a good way of doing a metric fuckton of localized, rapid-fire and/or piercing damage along with some decent armor (I'd say Silver/Tungsten or better armor, and either Vilethorn or a decent spear) then you're pretty golden.

e:f;b so very hard.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 8, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fewd posted:

I finally got my tree reworked into something that might theoretically not have every npc murdered during every hardmode event. Probably.

Now I can finally do WoF :confuoot:

If you're in a Small world, Wyverns can and will attack pretty much any village higher than, oh, 200 feet above sea level on any given Hardmode Blood Moon. And Wights seriously give no fucks as they can phase through everything.

You're probably safe from invasions and eclipses, though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Angry Diplomat posted:

This is incorrect. My tinkerer lives in a hivehaus with hive blocks and hive walls and a honey fountain on the roof.

I think the problem there might've been differentiating naturally-generated hive walls vs. player-placed hive walls. It's the same issue with Dungeon walls and dirt walls: If they were placed there on world-gen, then they aren't suitable for NPC inhabitance. The only naturally-generated walls that allow housing are the disc walls in floating island buildings and maybe the planked walls in abandoned underground houses.

Also, I see that they nerfed the Spectre armor to assumedly half-effectiveness - let's see if that's enough to render the set utterly useless! :downs: I don't expect to facetank bosses with it, but I'd still like to do better than an Excalibur in piecemeal armor.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 9, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Well, now that my spectre armour is nerfed I dunno how I'm ever gonna solo any bosses.

The same way anyone soloed hardmode bosses before 1.2? Oh, wait, typically they didn't and it required bullshit levels of arena-building and preparation, especially for the Twins. :downs:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Enallyniv posted:

I swear half my decent spelunking expeditions end in an accidental Mirror-port, after which I remember why I never keep that loving thing on my bars.

At which point you end up getting gangbanged by three Diabolists at once in the HM Dungeon and wonder why exactly you took the mirror off of your bar.

And the cycle repeats.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Office Thug posted:

What's the best way to deal with enemies spawning on top of your houses? I made a cool-as-gently caress floating castle entirely out of bone and poo poo like zombies keep spawning all over the place right on top of it.

Sounds to me like it needs a Dwarf Fortress treatment: add more spikes and/or lava.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nolanar posted:

On that note, are there restrictions on where plants in pots will grow? Can I hide them in an underground bunker, or should I build a greenhouse structure for them?

I think plants grown in pots will grow regardless of the conditions, but they won't drop seeds unless the conditions are met for them to.

Dayblooms need to be harvested in the day (they might need direct sunlight too, but I can't confirm this), Moonblooms should be harvested at night, Blinkroots will give you seeds whenever they feel like it, Deathweeds only give seeds during a Blood Moon, and Waterleaf/Fireblossom need to be at least next to water/lava respectively. (Carving out a little one-block high 'planter' to put the waterleaf/fireblossom pots in and then filling it with the required liquid will typically do the job without harming the pot)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ssthalar posted:

Even then, they don't always have a treasure room in my experience.

It's usually about a 80/20 chance in favor of, though, roughly: when it doesn't spawn with a treasure room, it's a worldgen conflict of some sort, I believe; usually due to the tree being near Too drat Much Stuff.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 13, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sojenus posted:

I was going to say that it shouldn't be that bad since I got eight of them before I found a single bezoar. But looking at the wiki apparently the RNG just despises me.

Well, there was also the fact that apparently Moss Hornets weren't properly coded to drop bezoars at all until 1.2.0.3.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The Lone Badger posted:

True hardmode dungeon is the endgame, right? There's nothing tougher than that / no boss after Golem?

The Hardmode Dungeon and Lihzahrd Temple are the two final "endgame" areas so far, yeah. If you've beaten Golem and Paladins, you're at the top tier of killing things.

Ironically, I have no problems with Golem or Plantera, but the Twins still gently caress my day up routinely regardless of build.

loving Spazmatron and his flamethrower mouth, my mediocre screen-size ruins any chance I have of being able to reliably dodge that poo poo.

I haven't tried since I got the Specter Armor + Magnet Sphere, but since that's been nerfed decently hard, I'd assume I'll still have issues.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Talking of traps, The flame spewing ones, I've only seen them on videos/pics, is that because they are they hard mode items?

You can only get them in the Jungle/Lihzahrd Temple, same as the Spike Ball traps and Spear traps.

So technically they are Hard Mode items, yes. Unlike most HM items though, they generate whenever you start a new world. You just can't access them without going through pretty much all of Hard Mode first, since the temple door requires one of three things to get past:
  • The Temple Key dropped by Plantera to open the locked door
  • The Picksaw dropped by Golem to dig around the door
  • Or ingenious use of Teleporters... which are sold by the Steampunker, who only shows up in Hard Mode.

EDIT: You may or may not need the Picksaw to actually gather the traps in question, I'm not sure as I haven't tested with lower-quality pickaxes.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cicadalek posted:

is it possible to make a crimson biome in a world that didn't start with one? I brought in a bunch of crimstone blocks to my corruption world and filled an underground chamber with them, but no crimson enemies seem to be spawning

I would assume it isn't possible, but I couldn't tell you. I'd say that a better test would be to try changing the Corruption to Crimson with the clentaminator if you have one, but either way the two biomes are just too different but take up the same niche.

• Locked thread