Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Fintilgin posted:

I haven't played this since release. Is there any sort of inventory auto-sort button? That would make life so much easier. I can't find it, but I worry I'm missing something obvious!

There's a quick stack button on chests that'll hoover up stuff in your inventory that stacks with stuff in the chest. Other than that, you're on your own. Frankly I'm not sure what behavior you'd want an auto-sort button to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Akett posted:

Does anyone know where lime kelp grows? I've checked the oceans and found nothing.

I found some in a nondescript natural pool in a cavern.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Extractified an Amber Mosquito from a block of silt earlier. Now I have an adorable baby T-Rex following me everywhere. When it can't keep up a pterodactyl picks it up and carries it back to me. :3:

A++ would extract again.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

Yeah, but my problem is I can't figure out how to get them to uncoil after I am done with them, short of hacking them down bit by bit, which is really irritating as well as often impractical.

That's the only way to get them down, but why bother? Ropes are expendable. Put up what you need to traverse an area and then leave it.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

I don't get the appeal of a double or even quadruple jump over rocket boots. I know you can have both, but I'd rather get straight to the rocketing and skip all this air jumping nonsense.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

I just use paint and biome specific chests to sort my stuff. My yellow chest contains all my hive stuff, my ice chest contains ice stuff, my red chest contains hell stuff, and so on.

At least, in theory. In practice, I'm too lazy to actually sort my items and everything just ends up jumbled. Oh well.

If you have enough stuff that you need to sort it then you should start throwing stuff out.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

Solution: build multiple shelters across the different biomes and relocate NPCs as needed. :eng101:

That's more "workaround" than solution. It's still a pain while not providing any meaningful gameplay challenge.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

PlotDevice posted:

Do shadow chests exist anymore? I've been back and forth in a medium world and haven't found one. Are any of the mapping apps updates for 1.2 yet?

I combed Hell from one end to the other in a medium world and found a total of 3.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Office Thug posted:

I forgot how dumb and linear Hardmode was. I really hoped it would have been smoothed out a bit, but nope. Everything hits like a truck until you kit yourself out in the best possible armor in the game, so until then you spend most of your time barricading yourself against everything and playing whack-a-mole as the only real way to fight and survive.

I bought a mushroom spear and I went and killed a couple frost golems until I had the full set of Frost Armor and now I'm wrecking face. I'm not quite up to fight-bosses-without-preparation trim yet (I'm doing a thing where I intentionally underprepare for boss fights), but I can hang in any biome.

edit: Actually the jungle biome has a bunch of stuff that I'm not quite confident about fighting yet. I usually use ranged damage for taking on the normal mode jungle, so maybe I'll wait until I have some good spells to sling. Ice Flower's my only hardmode spell right now.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

I love the new banners. I've been filling my bedroom with boss trophies and monster banners. It looks wonderfully eclectic.

Eclectic is the best design ethos. I always make my bases by just building a sprawling series of rooms as needed that incorporate the natural geography of the location, decorating with whatever comes to hand. It's not always the most efficient to get around or the most eye-pleasing, but it always feels like a place that tells a story.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Place them underneath pixel-accurate murals of each monster.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

President Ark posted:

Large worlds don't actually have more stuff in them. They have the same amount of resources, chests, biomes, etc.; they're just more spread out. All you gain on a large world is taking longer to traverse the surface and having to dig through three times as much stone/dirt/mud/whatever to reach anything interesting.

I think I remember reading that the absolute number of most resources is proportional to the length of the world. While there's more of a thing in existence, its density (which roughly corresponds to the difficulty in finding it) decreases with one over the square root of the world length.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Mental Midget posted:

Oh, okay that is a helpful tip. Hmm, maybe I need a pair of wings then , because I do have those other mobility items.

Edit: \/ Yeah, I think my boss arena isn't long enough too, to help me get the room to run at full speed from Spaz when he unleashes the flames. Time to make some wooden platforms!

Don't fight the Twins in an arena, just run across the surface. If you keep moving at a moderate distance then you'll be able to avoid most of the melee attacks and bring down the lasers to a fairly sedate relative speed. Hose 'em down with whatever powerful ranged weaponry/spells you've got (Megashark worked for me--the Destroyer is pretty easy to bring down with a Mushroom Spear, a small cave and zero potions) and you should only have to make a couple turn-arounds on a medium world.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

RatHat posted:

You can! It just goes into the trash bin instead of in your inventory/chest. :v:

Ask me about deleting all my money. More than once.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

My bad, I thought it was a 1/50 chance per day not 1/25. It's still a really lucky thing to happen though, .016% is still retardedly small.

The event under consideration isn't two solar eclipses on two arbitrary days, but getting an eclipse the day after you just got one. That's just 1/25 (1/25 for the second, the first is ensured by assumption). Really not all that uncommon.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

crestfallen posted:

Managed to get a set of Frost Armor almost immediately in hard mode. That was a nice bonus. I'd also heard about the mushroom guy from the chat here, so I picked up that spear too. So handy.

I had enough pixie dust and crystals to make a set of greater healing potions. I built a platform and a campfire and summoned the Destroyer. Took him out. Wasn't too bad.

Skeletron Prime spawned randomly and he killed me the first time. He spawned in again but I got him that time. That was less fun that the Destroyer.

Just got the Golden Shower yesterday. I guess I need to build a super long runway and try the Twins. Is there anything I should make sure to have first?

Wings, Hermes boots (or one of their descendents) and a powerful ranged weapon are all you need to take out the Twins. Fortunately your Frost armor is just as good at boosting ranged weapons as melee weapons. Whip up a megashark, summon them, and start running in one direction. You'll have enough vertical mobility to get over hills and such in your way and enough horizontal speed to keep out of the range of the melee eye. Just burn them down over time. You can probably do it with just normal health potions, but if you've got spares lying around you might as well use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Dana Crysalis posted:

I wish you could craft the Frostspark Boots with the Lava Waders, and have one Ultimate Boot Accessory.

Well sure but can you keep jerky in it?

• Locked thread