Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This is less 1.2-specific, but I encountered an incredible trap setup in my new world. At the bottom of a cave lake, I hit a single pressure plate that shot three darts toward me, and a moment after I dodged most of those, four boulders came bouncing my direction. If I hadn't had flippers on, I would have panicked and splattered.

Naturally it was just a really dense spawn of traps that happened to get their wires crossed, but it made an impression on me.

Jackard posted:

Oh my god I am so jealous. How often does the item that makes living wood spawn? Last time our world had a Tree with no treasure.

I found one in my first tree, so :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SlyFrog posted:

Because I can't leave resources behind like that. Trust me.

It's not left behind, it's there for the next time you come through! :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Check out the dye trader at the bottom and the guide up by the minimap. They're actually using the lower half of the rooms, below the platforms, as their rooms. Might be a new way to cut down on space needed for NPC housing.

I noticed it when the dye trader moved in, he was on the bottom floor but there was only a house set up for the nurse there. I realized he must be using the workbench-and-chair in my crafting room, then noticed his flag was way low. I decided to experiment by sticking a table and chair in my storage room, and found I had to take a torch off the wall and stick it on the floor before the game would count it as valid.

Also I still find it amusing that thanks to bathtubs counting as tables and toilets as chairs, I have a goblin living in my bathroom.

I also found this cave like, right above Hell. Aside from the mildly interesting wallpaper, there's nothing special in it at all.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 4, 2013

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Skull Dad posted:

How do I combine the red balloon, horse shoe, and cloud/blizzard/sandstorm in a bottle?

With the tinker's workshop. The goblin tinker sells it, you need to find him and untie him sometime after you have a goblin invasion in your world.

On the subject of workbenches we personally don't possess yet, has anyone found the blend-o-matic or the imbuing station yet? I want to bottle my parties in addition to firing them at enemies.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You can pour enough water in there (say if you pierced a big lake digging a hellevator) to obsidianify a moderate stretch, but it's always gonna be pretty dangerous in Hell until you start Hardmode, then you'll be pining for the simple joys of dodging demon scythes.

One way to make it less dangerous is to actually make it a meteor biome. Stick down like fifty chunks of meteorite ore and all the monster spawns will be Meteor Heads.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My hardmode world is in the middle of a solar eclipse.

I CAN NEVER GO BACK THERE. :stonk:

e: I was doing okay firing my shotgun loaded with explosive rounds from my balcony, but then a vampire killed the nurse and an Eyezor showed up.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 5, 2013

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

No, not the bees! NOT THE BEES AARRGH!

(Yes, the bees. Yes, all the bees. :getin:)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Doctor Doodler posted:

Tiger climbing gear is like a lovely grappling hook.

It would be a lot better if you could climb up walls without jumping. But as it stands it's just gonna get stuffed in my storage chest and replaced. Probably with Magic Cuffs or something.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's all tile-based. If you've played Minecraft, block and item placement rules are almost exactly the same, just in 2D. Your cursor needs to be adjacent to a block to place anything down. If there's a wall behind you, you can stick torches and platforms and some items to it, but otherwise you need to work outward fro ma starting point. This includes walls, which need to start from an extant wall section or an emplaced block.

e: Much later you will be able to buy an accessory, the Ruler, that overlays a grid onto your view to aid with block placement, but by then you may no longer need it. You may, however, find it rewarding to sign your character into a multiplayer world with a Goblin Tinker, buy a Ruler or have it gifted to you, and return to your single-player world with it.

e2: You may also be trying to place things too far from your character. You can only reach about five or six blocks from your dude's sprite.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 5, 2013

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hobo Siege posted:

I just had a meteor crash into the loving ocean. It's in the shallows, but there's still no way I'm salvaging it until I find some sort of breathing aid. Pisssssssss.

Set up a coffer dam with some sand (Or whatever block you feel good about), then set up some pumps to drain the water. If you don't have the Mechanic yet, this is obviously not a viable strategy and you should go rescue her. :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

KataraniSword posted:

This is, of course, assuming that the world doesn't generate with Corruption (or less brutally, Crimson) right between the spawn point and the nearest desert. A starter character has pretty much no way to survive in those biomes, and crossing Corruption chasms with basic mobility (no hooks/jump boosters) is ridiculously difficult.

Or corruption/crimson on BOTH SIDES of your spawn point. :gonk:

Even the Ice Boomerang I snagged out of a lucky ice chest didn't help me much there.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The most festive massacre.

The only problem with confetti shot in the dungeon is it obscures any spikes on the floor.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've become a slumlord.

These tenements are the most vertically-efficient housing you can have. Each provides 13 tiles of floor space, 3 of which must be solid to stand on at night (the left-right alternation is also necessary so they can actually stand there). Just enough height for a table, but not to put anything on it. Also just enough headroom that their upstairs neighbour is narrowly avoiding stepping on their head. The only drawback is that when they wander around in the daytime, they have a habit of jumping up onto the solid bricks above them and thus the whole gaggle winds up on the roof. I'm planning on installing a nightclub and rooftop garden to accommodate that.

I have done science, and it feels terrible.

Those are honeyfalls, aren't they.

You made a giant flying glazed ham. :hampants:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I don't know if this is well-known or not, but if you right-click the armor in your vanity slot, you can switch it with your actual armor.

I'm using it to swap out my Cobalt gear for Crimson when I get badly damaged and have to hunker down, and I have the thought of keeping a second multi-purpose armor headpiece in the social slots so I can swap set bonuses and change playstyles.

The only problem is you're actually doing the opposite of what your gear makes it look like you should be doing. Picture a dude in Turtle armor doing the magic healing spam of Spectre gear, for instance.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zereth posted:

Speaking of which, there seems to be some sort of critical mass for anything but corrupt/hallow grass to spread. I dropped some crimstone, and later crimsand, in a desert in my world to try and get some dark mummies, and it hasn't spread at all. Nor has the single block of pearlstone I stuck to some normal stone outside the desert to keep it from spreading too far.

Is it a hardmode world? :v: I'm sorry, that's just the basic "Is it plugged in?" question, I'm planning on seeding pearlstone around my base in the world I'm gearing up for hardmode in, so it'll start spreading once I kill the Wall.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SlyFrog posted:

What is special about "living wood" blocks? They appear to basically just be the same thing as normal wood harvested normally.

They look nicer, mainly. They break into normal Wood, but if you find a Living Wood Wand in a Living Wood Chest you can use it to consume wood and place down Living Wood blocks.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Okay, whoever recommended diving down my hellevators with a spelunker potion active for hardmode ores, you are a genius. Just did that in my pre-1.2 world (Which involved two lethal, one abortive and one panicked sprint across the Corruption), and came out with enough mythril for two full sets of armor and 36 bars of adamantite.

I sort of hope I get adamantite in the world I'm actually setting up for hardmode, so the stuff I just collected isn't "wasted."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Today has been a good day. I went and farmed sharks during a blood moon and finally got a Diving Helmet out of it, so I no longer have to worry about drowning while digging hellevators. Which I also dug two of, by rope and bomb. Then I went and generated another half-dozen worlds looking for pyramids. Finally found one, and wonder of wonders, there was a Sandstorm in a Bottle inside. Since I'd also gotten my third balloon in that same world, I now have the Bundle of Balloons.

I also crafted an Angry Fart In A Jar. :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Potential BFF posted:

Hooray for the paint and dye systems.

Wait, is that glass furniture? :aaa:

Oh my god and hive furniture exists too. I am going to be redoing so many decorations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, I stick all my money in the piggy bank and just visit it and hit Quick Stack whenever I come back home. Got about 5 platinum in there now, and like 80% of my play has been v1.2.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Machai posted:

This ^^^

He probably despawned because you left the corruption.

Bosses that can only be summoned at night: Eye, Skeletron, Skeletron Prime, Twins, Destroyer. They despawn (sometimes killing you first) at dawn.

Eater and Brain leave if you leave their respective biomes and the Wall despawns if it makes it all the way across hell.

Golem, Plantera and King Slime despawn if you get too far away. I don't know if the Queen Bee does this as well.

The Queen Bee will not despawn. I know this because I accidentally clicked on my Magic Mirror slot when trying to target her and she followed me back to my house.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

death .cab for qt posted:

Did Red seriously gently caress up the NPC AI again or something? Because I have a house filled with rooms that are all perfectly fine, and they all have wooden platforms that are easily accessible to everybody and should be extremely easy to reach, but this loving Dye Trader is refusing to go to his compatible housing and instead spends the entire night running around the main floor opening doors to the outside like he's the loving Guide V 2.0

Could be worse, you could have your tenements set up so that in the daytime every single retard decides to party on the roof.

On the plus side, I managed to throw together a bitchin' dance club and greenhouse in response.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Marvelous for drawbridges. Or portcullises. Or vault doors. Or entrances concealed in a mountainside.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cyberventurer posted:

Sometimes the pet will just spin on its own, but he'll also spin to catch up if you run too far away from him or use a magic mirror to zip home. It's given me more than a few jump scares where I was busy looking through a chest and then the pet clips through the terrain and spins right into me, just like the dungeon guardian would. :v:

Yeah, I've swung or shot wildly at my baby hornet (and my shadow orb) more times than I care to admit, and I had soemone dashing about madly swinging at my hornet on a multiplayer world, too.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

J.A.B.C. posted:

Also, even if you don't build a hellbridge, you at least want to level out a decent area by building holes in some of the buildings, so you don't get wall crushed grappling onto the side of a building.

I just build a bridge. Sure, it's time consuming. But having a level playing field to move on makes the battle a complete joke.

Besides, by the time you finish a hellevator you generally have a couple thousand dirt and stone that would just clutter up your chests.

Meanwhile, holy butt, I cannot beat any hardmode boss. I was preparing to challenge the Destroyer, since one of the interminable enemies in my hardcore blood moon/eclipse swarms dropped a worm. I had a set of buff potions available and was just tooling around my hardmode world when Skeletron Prime spawned. I chugged my buffs and started making GBS threads arrows everywhere. Didn't do jack, died pretty quickly. Figured, why not try the destroyer now? I was in the mindset, after all. Healed up, used the worm, chugged my buffs, shat arrows everywhere again.

Did something vaguely resembling jack. Died anyway, didn't even knock off like an eighth of his HP.

Hell, I can barely beat regular hardmode enemies. Due to poor planning, access to my hellevator requires a mad scramble across corruption, but at least I can farm the Wall of Flesh if I get there.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I went out to find myself a guy that's so much wiser.

Then I built him an entire biome by hand. In the sky. :black101:

I also built a mushroom biome off to the left for the Truffle.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've been vaguely inclined to troll the wiki and add a trivia section to the Ash Block claiming it's a reference to either Pokemon or Evil Dead. Looking at all the other ridiculous trivia, it would probably stay there for quite a while.

In other news, I genned a new world for ichor, fast-tracked to hell, and realized I'd need some housing for the Guide to respawn in. Decided to just use the obsidian poo poo I'd been collecting while smoothing out a hellbridge.

I call it Unholy Heights. :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Some bosses get confetti. :toot:

Some get urine. :getin:

This was a drat good day. Cutlass drop (And the first reforge is into Legendary), farmed the Wall for the Clockwork Assault Rifle, and got enough ichor and souls for the Golden Shower.

e: Also the very first mimic I ever saw, barring an unfortunate accident with a chest statue, dropped a Philosopher's Stone.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 17, 2013

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zero Star posted:

How viable is it to make a small world solely for storing valuable equipment? The theory is that I can use my character's inventory as well as piggybanks to transfer items into a 'store' world, therefore leaving more space in my 'main' one. Is this something a lot of people find useful, or would I just be wasting my time?

It's viable, but vaguely annoying at times. I have one "main" world, the first I ever generated, grandly built up, where most of my treasure chests are. Then I have my adventure worlds, more sparsely decorated with tenements and more simple towers (Unholy Heights being an exception) for NPCs,

As mentioned, it's sort of annoying to swing into your storage world, drop several things off, gather some blocks for building, get into an adventure world, and realize "Oh, I forgot to drop off my dye items/pick up more red brick/buy wire/etc."

Plus I have more metal bars, ore, and gems scattered over five worlds than I could ever know what to do with. But that's mostly because I mine them even when I have no reason to.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
God loving dammit. I have spent DAYS off and on running about at the bottom of the ocean hunting for Lime Kelp, and now I find out it's in the snow biome for some drat reason? :mad:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Based slightly on another goon's underground base, this is a Cavern of Solitude sealed in the living rock. The pressure plate visible in the dirt to the left triggers a large group of activators that turns off most of the dirt and rock to the left of it, leading to my hellevator. Although the hellevator itself is now mildly obsolete, since the teleporter also connects to Hell.

Fun fact: Teleporter pads can accept up to six unique connections, since the blue, red, and green wires can overlap and the pads are three tiles wide. Connecting them all to appropriately-distinguishable switches is the hard part.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Leper Colon V posted:

Wha.. I... that's... but...

...they don't glow in the dark. :colbert:

They do so! :eng101:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My boss arena built specifically for the Destroyer is a set of three 100-block long wooden platforms, the lowest of which is about 30 blocks off the ground, and with five or six blocks of vertical spacing between the rows, whichever is the typical reach you can build overhead. I spend most of the fight on the top level, dropping to a lower level as the Destroyer arcs over me so I can continue pissing on him/pelting him with confetti bullets (Weapon choice and lack of materials kept me from upgrading my ammo at first).

I beat him with a Golden Shower, Clockwork Assault Rifle, and Mythril gear, but only after brewing up some Greater Health Potions and hunting Mimics for a Philosopher's Stone. Even then it was a narrow thing, I really don't see how one 20-HP heart every five seconds or so in any way counts as "sufficient healing" to offset 30 damage every time you get hit.

Although once I got Hallowed gear and Harpy Wings (lucky feather drop while farming Wyverns) I can farm the Destroyer more easily, and the arena also works for Skeletron Prime. Haven't tried the Twins yet. Friend of mine suggested Gravitation Potions for that fight, any opinions?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Starhawk64 posted:

I miss the Hamdrax, it was nice having an all-in-one tool that could dismantle everything in a few seconds.

Since the hammer literally doesn't break anything except back walls anymore, the Drax or Pickaxe Axe is exactly the same thing with less chance of ripping a giant hole in your base when you need to move a chair.

On a similar note, while using bombs to clear the rubble from the entrance to the Lihzahrd temple, I found that the explosions knock the back walls loose. You can then combine those walls into lihzahrd bricks at any workbench. Meaning depending on your equipment, you can place blocks you can't destroy.

I'm certain there's some use to which that can be put, but I'm not really creative enough for it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

30 mannequins scattered around my base, and I only just have enough space for all my wardrobe. If I find practically ANYTHING else that doesn't complete one of my incomplete sets I'm going to have to start putting mannequins where they don't make sense.

The advice from a few goons about using the material your chests are resting on as a key to what's in them was pretty good, too. I just spent the better part of a day moving the junk and detritus from five worlds into my main base and organizing it all. On the left, in the normal chests on dirt, are natural ground blocks. Of note: 30,000 stone blocks. The shadow chests on dungeon brick are the man-made or otherwise more decorative blocks, including cloud blocks and metallic bricks. The gold chests are going to be metals, gems, and ores, I haven't finished migrating all of those yet. The ice chests are overflow or undecided, although the bottom chest is full of statues. And the skyware chests are decorative elements. On top is dyes and dye-producers, in the middle are paintings and lights, and the bottom chest is furniture.

The migrating itself was mostly tedium, but it's nice not having to look in three different worlds trying to remember where I put, for instance, my sunplate blocks.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RatHat posted:

Has anyone found King/Queen statues since the 1.2 update? I just realized I've never seen any.

I've seen exactly one of each, and my queen statue showed up in a 1.2 world.

I should totally wire them up into my fortress of solitude so I can evacuate my NPCs during blood moons/eclipses/pumpkin moons. Or at least pretend to, since they'd probably respawn back in their houses when I teleport back up to them.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RareAcumen posted:

So my friend is gone now and I wanna get into Terraria again to enjoy all this Halloween stuff. Any suggestions for building a house that looks better than rectangles stacked on top of each other?

I'm just gonna be using all my hardmode stuff to speed it up, by the way.

The easiest beautification measure is curved roofs.

Use segments of circles as desired.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Starhawk64 posted:

The only solution I can think of is to wall off the Jungle with a 4-5 block thick barrier made out of uncorruptable blocks. That would take alot of time, effort, and blocks.

Or around 150 bombs. :v:

If you don't care to leave the hellevator open you can build a house over top of it or just plug the top of it with clay or something.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
300 bombs (Plus about a hundred gel or so for sticky bombs) is usually enough to dig 2 or three hellevators (On a small world). With proper preparation (Lava Waders, Diving Gear) you don't even need to worry about water/lava.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dana Crysalis posted:

I wish you could craft the Frostspark Boots with the Lava Waders, and have one Ultimate Boot Accessory.

:goonboot:

I'd go for that as well, because it weirds me out a little bit when I'm wearing both. Like, am I wearing one on each foot? Does one pair go on my ears? Or my hands? Maybe I'm wearing a pair like they're knee-pads. :iiam:

• Locked thread