Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

:siren: Join #TerrariaGoons on SynIRC.net to discuss Terraria and its mods! :siren:

Have you accidentally hidden the minimap?

Press the tab button to get it back!

Do not play singleplayer Terraria on a Large world!

It is designed for multiplayer experiences. Seriously, just use Medium or Small.

Getting an out-of-memory error?

Download the file at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fl4mzi7qomfvxxc/config.dat and replace the one in your Documents\My Games\Terraria directory. (thanks to rodney mullenkamp)

So what is Terraria?

Terraria is a 2D building-adventure game by Andrew “Redigit” Spinks where you fight monsters, craft armor, tools weaponry, and other goodies, and build yourself a giant, phallic home to call your own amidst NPCs who are there to help (or in some cases, hinder; gently caress you guide) the player. It was released on May 16th, 2011 and is currently :10bux: on Steam. Go get it, it’s loving awesome.

For a long time, it was thought that development on Terraria had completely ceased. After the 1.1 patch, Redigit even said he was stopping development on the game. Then there was a "minor" to-do in the community, when he sold the rights for console Terraria to another company entirely. However, all of that seems to have been forgiven once the 1.2 patch was announced.

As of today, Terraria is availble to play pretty much anywhere you like. Want to nerd out in front of the PC? You can do that. Want to play in front of your TV? PSN or 360 are your available flavors! Want to play on the go? iOS and Android versions are available! The official website also claims that Vita and Windows Phone versions will be available in the future.

So what sets this game apart?

Terraria is a game that is very focused on exploration. Your character starts with just five hearts and very little mana to work with, but with careful exploration and lots of perseverance, you can soon be rolling out with much more than that. Basically, Terraria could be best explained as the lovechild of Minecraft and the newer Castlevania games, but with less bugs and terrible voice acting and more meat and potatoes such as the ability to decorate your home with various niceties like armor racks and thrones, as well as having quite a few possible playstyles to work with. Want to be a heavily armored caster who can jump several stories? You can do that. Want to just sit back and build? Well, if you can deal with the zombies and the occasional blood moon, then that’s cool too. Want to grief people with traps and junk? Well, as of 1.2, you can build your own little Tomb of Horrors to trap people in where monsters don't activate floor traps but players can! Basically, you can do practically anything you want in Terraria.

But does it have multiplayer!?

Sure does! As of the 1.2 patch, it seems that running a multiplayer game will be even easier than before! When setting up a multiplayer server, the game will ask if you want it to automatically port-forward.

In case you want to set up a dedicated server, there are also two popular options: TShock and TServer, which can be found in your Terraria installation directory. This page on the wiki should also be of help to you.

So it has some new stuff? Great. What was the newest stuff added in?

The 1.2 update added quite a few changes. The big ones are...

New biomes!
The dungeon has been revamped!
New monsters!
At least three bosses!
New items!
Weather!
:frogsiren: A functional minimap :frogsiren:
The ability to walk up one tile heights!
New NPCs!
Additional inventory space!
The most common item types (dirt, stone, wood, etc) stack to 999!
You can dye your armor!

Here is a full list of the changes for this patch.

During worldgen, there is a chance that certain ores will be replaced with new versions! Thankfully the new ores use the same recipes that the older variants use.

Ore Replacements posted:

Copper <--> Tin
Iron <--> Lead
Silver <--> Tungsten
Gold <--> Platinum
Cobalt <--> Palladium
Mythril <--> Orichalcum
Adamantite <--> Titanium

There is a 1-in-4000 chance, while killing enemies in some biomes, that you will get a special key to drop. This key unlocks a chest in the dungeon with some super powerful equipment inside! Currently, there are five keys: one from the Hallow, one from the Corruption, one from the Crimson, one from the Jungle, and one from the Ice Biome. The equipment inside these chests are among the strongest in the game.

During worldgen, there is also a chance that the game will possibly generate a pyramid and a gigantic tree. These unique structures have special treasures inside if you're lucky enough to have them, and are brave enough to enter.

Whoa, that’s a lot of stuff. How am I even going to get started?

The game has a pretty in-depth wiki available to use. Be sure to take a look if you get stuck. Also do not be afraid to ask here in the thread.

For the most part, Terraria is a pretty freeform game. For your first day, you should concentrate on cutting trees down and building a shelter for the nighttime. Be sure to talk to the guide! He can help you with crafting, by showing you what the recipes are for any item you show to him.

Also be sure to use the left shift key liberally! The shift key is context sensitive, so if you hold the shift key while mousing over the ground, your pickaxe will be automatically selected, over trees and you'll use your axe, and so on. If you hold the shift button while over thin air, you'll hold a torch out to light your way!

Once you build a grappling hook, you don't need to keep it on your hotbar. Just use the "E" key while pointing at a surface to use it!

Awesome Houses:

These are some pretty awesome structures that people in the thread have posted.

by MrGreenShirt
by Koramei and Azurius

by I Said No
by Poison Mushroom
by Bible Challenger
by Ssthalar
by The White Dragon and friends

The White Dragon posted:

So this is our village, but it was like 150,000px wide so I kinda had to shrink it.

In the meantime, here are some miscellaneous tidbits you may find useful:

NPC Spawn Requirements posted:

Guide - Spawns if there is no guide
Merchant - At least 50 silver in inventory
Nurse - More than 5 hearts
Arms Dealer - Pretty much any gun or ammo in inventory
Demolitionist - A Grenade, Bomb or stick of Dynamite in your inventory. Also need a Merchant
Dryad - Kill a boss
Clothier - Kill Skeletron
Mechanic - Kill Skeletron, then find her in the Dungeon
Goblin Tinkerer - Defeat the Goblin Army, then find him in a cave
Wizard - Randomly found in the underground hallow
Dye Trader - Spawns if you have any dye or items that can be used to make dye
Painter - Spawns when you have at least 3 other NPCs
Party Girl - Has a 2% chance to spawn (checked every ingame day at dawn) when you have at least 7 other NPCs
Witch Doctor - Spawns after you defeat Queen Bee
Pirate - Spawns after you find and use a Pirate Map and defeat the resulting invasion
Truffle - Spawns when you have a house in a surface mushroom biome during Hard Mode
Steampunker - Spawns after you have defeated at least 1 Hard Mode boss
Cyborg - Defeat Plantera
Santa Claus - Spawns after defeating the Frost Legion, but only between December 15 and December 31

How to activate hard mode posted:

To activate Hardmode, acquire a guide voodoo doll from the underworld, then when you're ready, throw it into the lava in the underworld to summon the Wall of Flesh. Kill it, and then prepare to have your own rear end forcefed to you because god drat is it hard.

Onean posted:

15 of one type of gem will make a grappling hook of that color! It actually looks really cool.

Tired of constantly left clicking to swing your sword? Try using AutoHotKey! Shukaro has helpfully shared his AHK script below:

Shukaro posted:

XButton1::
While GetKeyState("XButton1", "P")
{
Click
Sleep 10
}
return

Tired of status debuffs? You can farm up an item that makes you completely immune to them! Though beware, because it takes a really loving long time to make...

Finally, some extra links you may find helpful:

Goon Steam Group
Installing Terraria on Linux
Installing Terraria on Mac

A tutorial by Captain_duck (Outdated, but it should still serve for getting the basics down)

Character viewer and editor by TJChap2840
TerraFirma Map Viewer
MoreTerra Map Viewer
TEdit Map Editor
Create customized worlds with this mod!

Previous thread

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Flame112 posted:

Where can I find minerals I can actually mine? I took a trip down my hellevator to look for any new ores but I couldn't actually mine any of them with a hellstone pick. It's possible I was only finding one type though.

They're spread all over the world. You're specifically looking for blue or bright orange minerals to mine. It all depends on whether or not smashing the demon altars gave you Cobalt or Palladium. I wouldn't worry too much about confusing Palladium and Copper, either. Copper is a dull color, while Palladium is pretty vibrant.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Kinetica posted:

Is Iron even in the game? I cant even build beds and other items because I lack the intermediates :smith:

If you don't have Iron, check to see if you have Lead. It's the same stuff as far as recipes go.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The update's been out for almost a week now, so I think it's time to update the OP with relevant information from the patch. That said, I'm not sure what to include. What new information would you guys like to see in the OP?

Frequently asked questions, helpful tips, things like that.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Fooling around with TEdit, trying to find something that makes my armor hall look good that isn't "Gray Brick" and...

:stare: Palladium makes for very, very garish walls.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Like two weeks ago I said I was gonna update the OP. I just finished making a bunch of changes to it, so if anyone sees anything they'd like to add or change, let me know.

Also need some awesome bases for that section! (If I put your screenshot in the OP, please let me know so I can properly give credit where it's due! I just grabbed screenshots without looking to see who they belonged to :negative:)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

It's also worth noting that beating a hard mode boss will slow the spread of hallow/corruption/crimson to almost nothing. Plus you can easily undo any environmental changes with a special gun you can buy from a certain NPC.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Cerony posted:

So does dirt wall become unbreakeable at a deep enough level or do I need a better hammer?

For some incredibly stupid reason, you can't break worldgen placed walls from the middle. You absolutely must start at the outer edge and work your way in. Also past a certain depth, the dirt wall goes away entirely and becomes parallax background instead.

High yield explosives also used to destroy natural back walls, but I'm not sure they do anymore.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

It was pointed out to me just a moment ago, but... if you were wanting to play The Story of Red Cloud for whatever reason, it apparently works again.

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/adv-dark-souls-mod-the-story-of-red-cloud.87617/

All you need to do is install an older version of Terraria that apparently comes packed with tConfig now.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Just added Ssthar's and The White Dragon's respective villages to the OP.

Keep the screenshots coming!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Dumb question: If I get to the bottom of the map, is it safe to step off blocks and onto the bottom? Or is it a bottomless pit?

I haven't tried it since before 1.2, but it should still be safe. Much the same as standing on the upper edge of the world with a gravity potion in effect.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Download TShock and set up a private server with your farm map. Turn the spawn rate down to 1 and the limit up to 1000 or something else insane. You'll get that mold within 5 minutes or so.

Do this, but use the /pumpkin server command immediately after. :getin:

Messing with the spawn rate to make hostile mobs spawn infinitely fast is the best part about running a private server. That, and messing with the spawnmob command.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

ThirdEmperor posted:

Has anyone ever managed to completely excise the Hallow and the Corrruption/Crimson from a hardmode world? I'm looking for a challenge and wondering if that would be feasible.

Don't even attempt to do it without a map viewer handy.

Crimson and Corruption have nasty habits of popping up in the most random places where you'd never think to go. I think I remember reading that the game generates a random patch of corruption/crimson/hallow every time an altar is destroyed and it honestly wouldn't surprise me.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I don't want to say it, but I hate almost all of these changes.

There's almost nothing I agree with and what's there is really minor. Meanwhile more items are being nerfed to the point of uselessness and gameplay restrictions continue to be mistaken for balance.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I haven't touched the game in a while, but these proposed changes make it increasingly unlikely that I'm going to pick it back up. About the only worthwhile change is the key molds having a "drastically increased" drop rate.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

I see them quite a lot when I'm playing for long periods (usually while watching videos or building a big project). I kind of wish there was some way to turn them off, since it basically means I can't go back to my NPCs until they're finished.

The best way to turn them off is to play the game in server-mode. It gives you access to admin commands, which include the /spawnrate and /maxspawns command. Set both to 0 and it doesn't matter if a blood moon or eclipse or whatever occurs, because nothing can spawn at all!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I thought that was tshock. Does normal server mode have access to those commands?

It is tshock. I conflated the two by accident! I'm not aware that regular server mode has any commands you can use.

Rita Repulsa posted:

and is there a command to turn off the spread of hallow/crimson?

Apparently there's a setting you can play with in tshock's config.json that turns corruption/crimson/hallow off entirely. That's as close as I was able to find with a few minutes of googling.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Still around, but I don't think it was ever updated to 1.2.

I think he did upgrade it to 1.2 eventually, but decided that it should become Literally Dark Souls instead of this cool themed map. Last I checked he was talking about Gwyn, Seath the Scaleless, and other such nonsense. I also believe he made it even harder based on user feedback.

Might be worth looking at for a laugh, if nothing else.

EDIT: No, you're right. I just checked the mod page and it's 1.1 Terraria only.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 21, 2014

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I think my favorite build was a simple one I whipped up while in the early stages of the game once. This was before the last major update, naturally.

The wooden posts with a backwall can give the illusion of depth and make it seem like your base has a perimeter wall.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

dijon du jour posted:

"Terraria 1.3! One of these days Guide, POW! Straight to the moon!"

I'm totally stealing that for the eventual 1.3 thread title.

The plushes are pretty cute, all things considered. I wouldn't mind getting one of the Eye of Cthulhu plushies if the price were low enough.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The preview video seemed awfully dark, though that could also be because the person who edited it was starting a new fade cut before the old ones ended. The concept is pretty intriguing, though!

EDIT: I'm gonna stick that in the OP, actually.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

XboxPants posted:

i.e., I think this isn't Terraria 2?

One of the Terraria devs clarifies in the comments thread that this isn't Terraria 2.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about this look. It's reminiscent of the movie-licensed crap games of the 16-bit generation. And Bubsy. It's an unfortunate combination.

Now that you mentioned it, I can't unsee it. The art style is very reminiscent of the 16-bit licensed Disney games! It also kinda reminds me of the graphical upgrades applied to SNES RPGs when they're re-released for mobile devices.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Zereth posted:

"Upgrades" :airquote: which often end up looking horrible. I am not a fan of this look.

You mean you don't think this looks good? :shepface:

(I agree it looks like poo poo)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

ThatNateGuy posted:

May I get an invite to the group, please? :D

http://steamcommunity.com/id/thatnateguy/

I don't believe the group is locked, so you should be able to join.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Edit Now we can take my half-finished shame out of the OP.

And it is so! The finished sword is looking very nice!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Crimson Harvest posted:

Does anyone have some good ideas for making a hellevator more interesting? This time I'm just kind of taking my time and over-engineering everything I do, so my tube is lined with mud that I've planted mushroom grass on, and each side also has a 2-block layer of stone slab.

It would be an absolutely massive and expensive undertaking, but construct the walls and backwalls out of metallic bricks. Silver in particular would look fairly nice.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I've been excited for 1.3 for a while anyway, and that trailer threw it into overdrive. So much cool stuff!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

benzine posted:

DoubleNegative do you plan to make a new thread, or just update the OP (that it is great btw) ?

I figure the new patch will be a great time to post a new thread and overhaul the OP. Is there anything in particular you guys want to see in the new OP?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=23531

This is more or less what the OP for 1.3 is gonna look like. Thoughts?

I desperately need new images. Especially multiplayer shenanigans.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

Oh btw:
What's the easiest way to disable post-hardmode hallow/evil biome spreading.
Because I don't want to dig giant trenchs in singleplayer to keep my jungle and stuff.

The easiest way is probably to go into a world editor, filter by the biome you want to keep from spreading, and paint over it with something else.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Walrus Pete posted:

holy poo poo I was gonna give this a listen but it's over an hour long? fuckin' a. Here's a summary including some choice quotes for anyone else who doesn't want to listen to seventy minutes of a (presumably) grown man struggling not to cry.

The first 40 minutes are kinda boring, but after that it gets magical.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

New thread will go up later. I have things to take care of first.

However, thoughts on the title? I like "Terraria 1.3 - Welcome back champs and champettes" but "Terraria 1.3 - Ya boy pbat has arrived" also occurred to me. Also open to other, non Starbound related, titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728729

New thread

• Locked thread