Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Just to let you know, the clown appears to have a new drop, which seems to act like a shorter ranged, higher damage harpoon.

Also, based on early wiki analysis, the painter moves in when there's a livable room with a painting (I dunno, he's moved into at least two of my worlds already, so I guess some piece of old furniture works), the dye trader shows up if you have dye, or something that can become dye (squid ink, certain flowers), and the party girl shows up "if you like to party". That's all I know so far.

Oh yeah, when it says that soul drop rates were increased, it really wasn't lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Is there a recipe for ropes? I want more ropes. Ropes fuckin' own.

Don't think there is one, however the merchant sells them for like 7/10 copper a piece, which makes it a bit more convenient, IMHO.

Also, bones are now somewhat useful. They can be made into walls, doors, work tables, like 4 new piano colours, and chairs off the top of my head. Plus there's a bone wand drop in the dungeon (for those who haven't rushed there immediately) which lets you place them down as blocks. Now your endless piles of bones can actually be usefull.

Also, don't be afraid to bug the guide with any old item from the material category, since there are so many new combinations.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Okay, there's definitely something off with how suitable NPC housing is determined now. I just went back to my old worlds and noticed an NPC moved, and the room they used to stay in was deemed unsuitable, despite nothing changing. So I put down a table and a chair, and added another torch, and it was still seen as unsuitable. Any idea what's changed?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

DelphiAegis posted:

I think they require more space now. Rooms I had built that could hold a chair, table and torch were deemed unsuitable, but as soon as I expanded them a few blocks, they were seen as okay.

KataraniSword posted:

Chances are it's just a smidge too small, I'd wager, or it uses background walls that weren't player-placed. Try expanding it a little, putting down some wall if it's not already there?

efb :argh:

Actually, its the exact opposite. These are big, honking huge rooms that got hit with this, but smaller ones are still fine.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Seems to be some really goofy poo poo with accessibility to the outdoors.

Maybe, hopefully. I guess I'll be looking at the wiki for even more in the next week or two.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
:argh: Damnit game, start genning a world I can actually use!:argh:

I'm looking for a world with crimson and snow biomes for my singleplayer game so I can do the new hardmode content, but the one stipulation I've set other than biome presence is pissing me off to fufill. Who knew it was so hard to get a small world where the jungle isn't immediately eaten by the crimson?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
You know what's fun, but might lag your game to death? Fighting the Destroyer with piss. Tried it earlier with my full Spectral guy, and managed to take off like 1/4 to 1/2 of its health (can't remember exactly) in one pass. I thought my game was going to sputter and die though. It was glorious.

E: does anyone know whether dungeon keys spawn in surfac biomes? I don't really want to have to clear out an area in the UG snow.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 7, 2013

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

DelphiAegis posted:

The new Tedit claims to be able to do this, you should be able to open your world (after backing it up), check the "saved Goblin" box, hit save and have him show up on the next cycle of NPC spawns.

So, once I've defeated the Golem.. Is that it? Do I have to kill Plantera again for another temple key so I can go to a different world's temple and loot the power cells to fight him some more, or do they just (rarely) drop off the mobs in there?

Also, Nimbus cloud and a small platform 3-wide above your head makes most of his attacks useless, you can just stand there and let the rain do the work. Until the last 10% health when his eye-lasers start actually hurting a bit.

Have you got the steampunker? If so, two telleporters (5 gold all told) and a few wires will let you enter temples without a key, in case you didn't get a picksaw. Whoever pointed that out in the thread deserves a medal, since I was frustrated with having 13 golem kills or so and not a single picksaw, and I thought getting a new temple key meant killing Plantera in another world (hint, it doesn't).

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Saxophone posted:

How the hell do you even kill wall of flesh with normal mode gear? I've got full molten armor with obsidian skull and the rose that lets me touch lava and not die and I'm just getting demolished and I don't feel like I'm doing much damage to it at all. I suppose I will potion up and see if that helps but yikes. I get the little feelers dead and then the wall to like 6k/8k health and then just die horribly. By then, I can't catch up with him and he'll have despawned. Oy.

Build a bridge, get close, then spam the hell out of a harpoon. That's the way I first beat it.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

LAY-ZX posted:

We searched every inch of the place and there's no big glowy yellow thing. If it just kinda didn't spawn that's pretty excellent.

That's happened to me twice. Looks like you need to hit up another temple for the alter (hint, use teleporters if you don't want to search for Plantera's bulb).

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
How are you guys getting Chlorophate so easily? I had just enough for a turtle set after running throught 3 hardmode Jungles, and getting the Shroomite and Cholrophate sets is still a long ways off (I might have enough for half of one or the other). I tried impregnating about 500 or more mud with some dozen chloro ore, but it doesn't seem to be spreading, last I checked. Does it need to be in darkness to spread?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Thanks for the advice, goons. Turns out I just needed to be willing to actually use the potions I have stored away, instead of poking around with Gungnir. I think that like the bottom two lines of my failed farm are in the proper zone, since I actually saw it spread to a tile while making it, but apparently a Crimson chamber is not ideal. In any case, I guess the replies could help anyone who comes through the thread in the future.

Now just to get all the glowing mushrooms I need for the Shroomite armour.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Whelp, glad I got in my magical boss murdering spree already, since now I'm going to have to grind up the cash to make all my accessories warding again. Kinda sucks, but at least the Destroyer can be chumped by new Lihzard traps. Oh, wait, thats not necessary because Golden Shower already does.

I did solo the bosses in 1.1 using an arena, but that was purely at my choice, and required a number of potions. The feeling of using an option that was previously less viable (magic) and defeating bosses that were formerly devestating was heady, though, but not something that could last. Guess its time for me to finally make a farm for potion ingredients and to pull out the old Megashark again. Kinda of wanted a diabolist fork or whatever, since that and the Nimbus staff seem to be the only neat new magic things that I'm missing.

Bitter? Me? what gives you that idea?

E: Just bitching because I just either used or replaced like half my Warding gear, and now the neat new armour set I was using got knocked down to a single point of defence better than Hallow caster gear and the other defensive benifit it gives was also nerfed, so I'm a bit frustrated.

Double Edit: make that 6 less defence than Hallow mage. Great endgame defence there [/sarcasm].

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 10, 2013

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Ulvirich posted:

For those of you looking for a door solution during blood moons and the like, make a door out of active stone blocks or actuators on blocks hooked up to a easy access switch. Creates a door that can't be opened up by npcs.

Or just place a torch on the inside, which keeps the door from opening inwards. That works too. Doesn't stop Goblin theives or other things that actively destroy doors, but stops zombies in their tracks.

ChibiSoma posted:

:cry:

Hard mode bosses just randomly spawn now?! Here I am, doing a bad job at surviving normal enemies, and they throw that thing at me! I was sorting through my chests at my base at the time and didn't see the warning. You can imagine how that went. Ran out to make a futile attempt to fight it somewhere more suitable but nope. Dude lived up to his name! Was not aware the Destroyer didn't break apart like the Eater does, either.

I need to read a guide or something that gives me an idea on what order to do poo poo in so I can stay alive. I've only found two meat altars, and I've only found 4 bars' worth of Palladium. Ran both paths to the underworld and didn't see around on either of them.

Should I just tunnel around under the Crimson until I find more? I want to keep at least one for item creation, yeah? I definitely need better weapons. This Dark Lance did well for most of Normal, and it's useful for keeping things away, but it's got pretty wonky hit detection and a large dead zone. Wish I could find the Goblin Tinkerer, too. Little nerdy bastard's hiding, so I can't fuse any of my accessories, which is becoming a real problem.

tl;dr: Oh god soloing hard mode for the first time.

Echoing the go into crimson to smash alters advice. Smash enough and Colbalt/Palidinium become like copper in rarity. Its also best to hunt Pallidinium near the surface level, since it still spawns commonly up there. Spelunker potions are your friend.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
A few pages back I complained about my mad mage power hour being over.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

Mad mage power hour continues, now with added Nimbus Staff and Nettle Burst. Along with Golden Shower, Shadow Beam, Magnet Sphere and Pygmies, plus a Godly Gungnir for light I've got something for nearly every situation. Now I just want an Infernal Fork and I'll be super happy. Too bad the Hornet Gun is so poor, because while its the hadmode Bee Gun, it just doesn't work that well, while a hardmode Vilethorn (the Nettle Bust) will probably have a range of uses.

Anyone who's used the Specter staff a bit wish to comment on how it plays? I'ld like to know how it compares to other dungeon magic.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

J.A.B.C. posted:

B uses all buffs in your inventory, which is good for setting up a boss fight. Bad if you're dungeon crawling and you accidentally pop a grav potion or water-walking, though.

Also, I too did not know about the locking option. This makes things simple!

Edit: ^ Heavy Neutrino beat me like the Eye of Cthulhu on that one.

B is also bad if you've picked up a gills potion. Nothing like air drowning yourself from an accidental quaff of one of those.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, that was interesting. Just used TerrariViewer to muck with my inventory and buffs a bit(boss summon items and battle potion for 2+ hours), and something glitched somewhere. My ammo turned into about a billion Amber, and my money into random crap. Don't think I'll ever need to hack money in again, though, the Amber sold forlike 3000 plat, all told.

Now just to get copies of the hardmode boss trophies and 4 more dungeon keys. I won't hack them in directly, but I won't feel bad to hack in summoning items, ammo or buffs to make getting them easier.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

RatHat posted:

What's a good place to set up a water candle and a battle potion to farm Mimics? I want that GPS.

Surface mimics, which have less health than the other varieties, will spawn on natural dirt walls. Dig a hole, then dig a few 3 block high coridors into the sides, a screen and a bit long. You can make this an auto farm using lava pits (6 blocks long,1 bucket lava), but you would need to hook up some arrow traps to poke the mimics into action.

Also, don't try this on Hallow or corruption, since Fairys gum up the works, and Corrupters can get you still and will probably gum up the works. Not sure about Crimson, but Floaty Ghosts will probably, as you've probably guessed, gum up the works.

E: Couple screenshots of my Mimic Grinder over here, if you want

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 17, 2013

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Hahaha, trying to get copies of the mechanichal boss trophies, I decided fighting them one at a time wasn't going to be fast enough. So I summoned all 3 at once. Spectral Armour, Nimbus Staff and Golden shower let me stand still and kill them all, twice over, summoning the Destroyer again halfway through each set. The Numbers man, the Numbers.

The kicker was The second Prime and the fourth Destroyer dropped the trophies, so Now I just need to get the Twins trophies again.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Oh God, just put on 3 Menacing Emblems and a Menacing Mech Glove, then Fought the Twins in Shroomite. 78% increased damage on an Unreal Tac Shotgun with Chlorophate bullets. Sure I almost died, but it took maybe 50 shots to take them both down. I can see that being more Viable on multiplayer servers, where you've got mages to heal you, because holy poo poo you just exploed everything with that setup.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

RatHat posted:

Er, 3 copies of the same accessory stack? I didn't think they did.

EDIT: Do you mean that you used the Ranger, Avenger and Destroyer emblems?

The latter. If I could use three Ranger Emblems I would be squeezing out 88% damage, 91% if I also replaced the Gloves, 110% with 5.

Oh boy, That would be ridiculous overkill, wouldn't it.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Bad news. Ravens and Pygmies are mutually exclusive, like Shadow Orb/Pixie/Wisp. You might be able to use both if you've got the Tiki/Sppoky set, but otherwise you can have one or the other.

So I managed to get pretty far in the pumpkin moon event, killed like 10 Pumpkings but got no drops from it. Got a couple Spooky Hooks which are basically the lovechild of an Ivy Whip and a Dual Hook, plus a Necro Scroll (Herc Beetle by another name) and a Haunted Sapling (pet summon). Actually three of the latter, but I sold two so I can't give them to random Goons, sorry. Now I just want a Spooky Twig so I can get Spooky Wings.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Rynoto posted:

Melee is perfectly valid up until you hit Wall of Flesh and Hardmode. Then it becomes pretty much useless outside of the Mushroom Spear to poke things through walls.

Melee is perfectly valid for low resource usage when you're just doing day to day exploration, outside of the hardmode jungle/dungeon of course. It only really falls flat during Invasions/blood moons/vs Bosses. Get a Phasesaber (or Cobalt sword? Not sure on that one) and you're fine for regular exploration.

Of course Range is for blowing things up with huge numbers and Magic has all the fun effects, but Melee is a decent fallback.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Fish Noise posted:

While messing around with the Pumpkin Moon in multiplayer, the first activation on top of a skybridge summoned the harpy and wyvern air force instead, until we went down to ground level.

I might have to see if that's repeatable, or if it has a similar effect in Hell.

Apparently it does wherever PM enemies can't spawn, like the ocean as well. Have fun finding all the locations you can psuedo-Blood Moon in.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

RatHat posted:

I thought you could get the Pumpkin moon items on any wave, they just have increased chances to drop the further you go?

Except for the trophies this is true. The trophies only spawn in wave 15, at a rate of 100%. I've hit wave 15 once solo, but the night ended like 3 seconds later so the two mourning woods that stuck around didn't count as being in wave 15.

E: gently caress my typing

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 20, 2013

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
While my 2 attempts at FM didn't get past like wave 11 and 12, using Specter with nimbus, gold shower and bat scepter did let me get through while only using 3 greater heals total. If you use a trap arena with spiky balls and flame traps raining death then the event is really managable.I was able to just stay in my hidy hole, fire down piss and bats on the bosses below and just kinda chill until ice queens show up. The Queen is probably the only real hard part, and even that is lessened by homing weapons.

The spectre nerf isnt to bad, you only need a bit of dodging or breating room to get full health (best if you have a cross necklace).

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Holy poo poo, the Razorpine is loving amazing! Last night I got one and reforged it to Godly, a few minutes ago I tried it in a Frost Moon. It melts anything you point it at, including bosses. Like less than 5 seconds and Santa Tanks and Everscreams were dying. It was even taking off like 1/3 to 1/2 of an Ice Queen's health in one spin move. Anyone who goes magic really wants one of these, seriously.

Also managed to grab a North Pole tday, it seems pretty decent. I probably would have prefered either of the Ie Queen's other weapon drops (homing? Rocket launcher and highest single target DPS magic in the game) but the pole does have the advantage of carpet bombing stuff.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
:stonklol:Holy poo poo the Blizzard staff is ridiculous. I got one to mystical (15 gold or so base price for reforge) and decided to try it on the pumpkin moon. By the end of the event I had like 15 Pumpking trophies and 8 Mourning Wood trophies, as well as like an inventory's full of other boss drops. Just, holy poo poo.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

That Old Ganon posted:

So the one character I have I can get to go to other worlds besides the first one created?

Yes, and this is quite usefull. You can do so to make a storage world, raid special areas in other worlds, clear cutting, ect. Its quite usefull to take advantage of.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, the FQ can drop some amazing stuff. The spear can carpet bomb an area, the blizzard staff is ridiculous and can let you solo the Pumpkin moon to the point where you get 30+ trophies in one go, the snowman cannon sounds like a homing rocket launcher, and there's also a festive mobility enhancer.

If nothing else, you can likely get a razorpine and the Santa tank drops to improve your damage in magic and ranged, respectively.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
gently caress these changes, just gently caress em. Sure just make all the materials you need for the best stuff rarer and take longer to get to, and lets make you need more while we're at it. Let's gently caress with a bunch of good weapons, including one of the hardest melee weapons to get, but don't worry, we'll make the rainbow rod better to compensate. People used that right?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
New melee armour from the golem, buffs to the ture exc and NE and Terra Blade, nerfs to casters and rangers (shroomite takes longer to get and nerfs to Chloro bullets?). Seems like Red wants more melee players, since it was pretty much useless before (except for shroom spear and north pole, which have both been nerfed).

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
loving gently caress. The new melee armour requires like 5 golem kills for one set and a full turtle set, so one of the few good things about this patch is poo poo.

Oh, and the Spectre healing nerf? 20% more mana used (enough that my 2-3 mana razorpine uses 6) and 40% less damage. Holy poo poo, that is terrible!

Also, visible accesories makes you look really, really cluttered.

E: gently caress it, I would like to point out that Terrari Viewer still works with everything pre Moon updates, so you can just use that to give yourself all the stuff you need if you don't feel like trying to progress normally anymore.

Double edit: I guess if you want to beat bosses with magic now you need to throw down a bunch of star statues in your boss arena (if you can find them without cheating) since mana potions are crap now and mage shackles no longer synergise with spectre because it means you do gently caress all for damage.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 14, 2014

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, on the upside, the twins have had a bit of a nerf, they only transform at around 1/3 health rather than 1/2.

Also, I like the Destroyer headpiece.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Kyrosiris posted:

And gently caress your wrists if you are melee. Someone needs to tell him that lack of auto-swing isn't a balancing feature, it just makes your playerbase's hands miserable.

I've actually been posting in the official feedback thread in the forums, and pointed this out as why I was never going to go melee. gently caress knows if anyone cares about it, since half the posters there are just bitching at anyone who dares to think that the mage nerfs were a bit much, or sometimes at people who are annoyed about any of the changes. I ended up getting loving pissed when somebody met my question of 'why not make melee and range better rather than over nerf magic' with 'You want to feel powerful like with the old Spectre set? I bet Coockie Clicker is too hard for you'.

At least the devs are kind of listening, and pointing out why they did some of this stuff. The official explaination for the mana potion sickness was basically that there are other ways to regain mana and they were annoyed that mages just drank like alchoholics and wanted to make them more tactical. Unfortunately they also wanted mages to be more support.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, I have to say, the Stynger is absurd with the Shroomite rocket hat. With my only two offensive accessories being a Destroyer Emblem and a Celestial Stone I used an Unreal Stynger to take out the twins like 10 times a night, and each eye only takes like 10-15 well placed bolts. It also let me get to wave 14 of the Pumpkin Moon, something I didn't get to until I got the Blizzard staff on my mage.

On another note, the Celestial Stone is pretty drat great. It's essentially the Destroyer Emblem -4% crit chance, +4 defence, 2hp/sec regen and a move speed boost. Its honestly pretty drat nice.

E: Does anyone know the spawn rate for the travelling merchant? I've only had him show up ~5 times in several hours of gamplay. I really want to get an ammo box or three from him, and maybe a mysterious cape.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 17, 2014

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Akett posted:

Well he took the mana usage nerf off the hood.

Well, that change only came about relatively recently, like 2 hours ago recently. Personally I think I'm fine with the healing Spectre now, even with the damage debuff, because where it was at in 1.2.3 was just mean.

Also, aside from a bunch of bugfixes and more QoL stuff (plat stacks to 999) the Frost Moon was made slightly easier to advance, and some enemies do less damage/fire slower. I guess they realized just how ridiculous it was to gate content like that for people who don't play online.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Just guessing here, but what I'm seeing in that picture is an indication of multiple pets, mounts (either unicorn on a stick style or reindeer syle), and probably two new vanity sets, probably more.

I speculate there may be another bee/hornet/wasp theme boss added to allow you to get the wasp-y armour, but more likely it'll just drop from UGJ bugs.

Maybe worth a few hours of mucking around to see the new stuff.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Starhawk64 posted:

So what's the optimal setup now that magic is hella nerfed?

IMHO either offensive Beetle and Vamp knives/north pole/horesman's blade or Shroomite + whatever. Offensive Beetle is kinda ridiculous,but still suffers a bit from only having 3-5 viable weapons, most only obtained after beating Plantera, and even then requiring a lot of effort.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
After fighting him a few times so I could get his drops somewhat legit, I have to say, Fishron is pretty fun. You don't have to deal with a million things at once, he's got a pretty set pattern thats easy to figure out, plus the fact that unlike Plantera and the Golem you have a lot of room to manuver by default. His attacks aren't bullshit or too terrible, and as long as you know how to move right you can avoid the worst of the damage, though Sharknados trapping you for a cheap shot is annoying.

Two thirds of his loot is pretty awesome to. I'm not impressed with the Tsunami or the Bubble Gun, the former lacks auto fire and is a bow, while the Bubble Gun may as well be a melee weapon for its range, but the other stuff is great. Sharknados being high damage flying projectile based summons makes them much btter than anything pre fishing update, the Flailon is awesome for melee users as a projectile weapon thats usefull in confined spaces where the Noth Pole sucks, Razorblade Typhoon combines Waterbolt, Demon Scythe and homing for a great magic attack, and the Fishron Wings are incredibly agile in the air. Makes for a great addition to your arsenal for nearly every class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Baron von Eevl posted:

Would you say he's easier or harder than Plantera and the Golem? I've beat Plantera a few times and the Golem twice, but both still manage to kill me if I'm not really working for it.

Vib Rib posted:

He can do some pretty incredible damage, like 150+ per hit even in full beetle armor, and he moves insanely fast, like Eye-boss lunges at supersonic speed and very fast tracking, plus he creates homing projectiles of multiple types and two-screen-high walls of death. I can sleepwalk through the golem, for the most part, and plantera's weak enough against late-game equipment. I'd say Duke's probably the hardest boss in the game right now, not counting the moon events.

As Vib Rib says, he's a tough motherfucker who hits hard and takes a lot of punishment. However, he has a very simple pattern, charging five times before doing a projectile attack, either homing bubbles (just keep attacking, you'll destroy them as you attack him) or summoning Sharknados. The Sharknados are kinda bullshit, being huge and firing sharks at your position for a few seconds, but a fairly standard boss arena (ie a couple screens of wooden platforms, three layers high about a screen apart vertically) will let you dodge it fairly easily, I believe.

After he gets down half way he changes his pattern, with three faster lunges instead of five, and his other attacks are changed, the bubble spawning now taking place as he does a loop-de-loop (not really any more threatening) and his Sharknado summon is much different, following you and trying to spawn where you are, being bigger and firing double the sharks to make up for being only one Sharknado. If you can dodge the twins you can probably dodge this guy, but swiftness potions are essential.

I will not bullshit you. He is HARD. But he's very upfront about it, and with effort and preperation he becomes much easier. He doesn't have anything like the near Hitscan lasers of the Golem, he doesn't do Plantera's bullshit with filling tight underground corridors with bouncing projectiles, he doesn't come with a billion adds like any of the event moon bosses, he's just there, with a simple pattern that you can learn and deal with. And if you want to beat him you really do need to learn his pattern, because he'll gib you with ease otherwise.

E: basically, most of the previous big bosses are of the bullet hell type, basically requiring you to have great reflexes and the ability to identify and react to everything thats pertinent to you pretty much constanty and instantly. Fishron follows a more Dark Souls style, where if you know whats coming and prepare for it you have the key to victory but if you go in half cocked you're likely to be dead in under ten seconds.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 24, 2014

• Locked thread