Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Giggily posted:

Man, those rainclouds that damage enemies for every droplet really gently caress up early bosses if you can get them placed well.

Wait what? I've found rainclouds, but they actually damage enemies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

President Ark posted:

It's the Crimson equivalent of the Thorn Wand spell.

Ah Vile Thorn, yea that is a great item. I hope there is a hardmode equivalent, because I love those multi-hit spells/weapons.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Matrim posted:

Eclipses ain't no thang with Jungle-Temple brand defenses!

Do those spears actually hurt enemies?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tarquinn posted:

So, how do I make titanite bars, or whatever they are called? A mythril anvil alone does not seem to be working. =/

IIRC you need an Adamantium Furnace, which used to be found in Hell and also craftable once you got some bars, not sure what the deal is now.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

S.T.C.A. posted:

Are there any randomly-spawning enemies (hardmore or otherwise) that can pass through walls/wreck walls at the ground level?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to make a safe haven base that can still temporarily open to get NPCs, then be sealed in. I did this in the space-biome near the very top of the map, just to find out once we unlocked hardmode that Wyverns will spawn outside the house, then slaughter the NPCs within it :(

I just want one fairly-secured base so that unless someone summons the Eater of Worlds or something nearby, the base should fine. Is that even possible, or not really?

A sky palace should be possible, but what you'd want to do is put it fairly high up, but lower than then where the wyverns/harpies spawn. Maybe like halfway between the sky islands and the ground. Surround the fortress with enough dirt so that the game treats it as a normal biome, something like 300-500 blocks. Then even in Hardmode, the worst spawns you'd get would be corrupted goldfish during the blood moon.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If your world doesn't have alternative ores, you don't miss anything. They are just reskins, same with crimson/corruption.

Missing the pyramid/tree sucks, but even without those things there is still tons of new content.

Should be going into hard mode tonight, can't wait!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The worlds all have the same types of stuff in them despite size. A small world is just as likely to have a pyramid as a large world. A large world just has more stuff. So a small world might have 6 shadow orbs whereas a large world has 12.

The only reason for a large world is if you have more people, otherwise large worlds suck.

Softcore/mediumcore/hardcore are character specific and are completely independent of the world.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

quiggy posted:

It took two friends and I about an hour to build a hell shaft on a huge world last night. Huge worlds: not even once.

On a huge world in free fall, it takes over a minute to get to hell.

gently caress that poo poo.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
3 Tile gap will stop both hollow and crimson from spreading. You have to go deep though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I have a fortress of Ice in my current world, and I want it to straddle the Corruption and Hallow as a fortress of solitude, with a lava moat.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

shymog posted:

Does it need to just be a gap, or do I need to have user-placed blocks on the sides of it?

IIRC, the corruption vines only grow from "grass" so as long as the sides aren't dirt, 3 tiles is enough. If it's dirt, then replace the dirt with stone or something.

But honestly, don't worry about it, just let it come and fortify your fortress to protect your NPCs.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Hardmode Jungle Boss.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SuicideSnowman posted:

Am I the only person who actually enjoys playing on the large worlds even single player? I guess part of the the fun for me is exploring huge maps.

Exploring a vast desert isn't very interesting.

There isn't more to explore in a large world, it just takes longer to explore it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Daeren posted:

At first, I made a nice set of treehouses in a World Tree because I found it really early and I loved the aesthetic. I rapidly ran out of room, however, and the treehouses grew ugly and cramped. Even with the most stacked apartments possible on the branches, I still couldn't make enough to fit all the NPCs I was going to get. I was also worried about the Hallow/Crimson corrupting the whole thing from under me one day and turning life into a living hell. So, I decided to make a new fortress. I had plenty of clay, dirt, stone, or anything I wanted to make your standard castle...

...but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make a flying castle from the very bones and skulls of my enemies :black101:

It will eventually have everything I need to survive hard mode - a crafting hall, storage, a glowing mushroom farm, some herb farms, and maybe an armor showcase. The capper on top I have planned is a skull made of skulls with lava in its eye sockets that is also drooling lava from its mouth down the sides of the castle.

My God I forgot how much I loved this game.

Have fun with Wyverns.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Demon Scythe is a really great pre-hardmode spell that can be effective even vs some of the hardmode enemies.

But then I got my Dao Pow :)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I hope in Terraria 2 the worlds are more fleshed out. Ideally I could play the same world with multiple characters, starting in different places, and seeing the ruins of my former characters' palaces, complete with partially looted chests etc.

Similar to adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

S.T.C.A. posted:

You mean ore-wise the same amount of resources? I mean, I can't believe a small world would have as much wood and stone as a large world, for instance; I've always played on large maps and even in hardmode pre-1.2 had no problem finding boatloads of ores, though I also smashed almost every altar I could find to keep it all spawning.

Nah there is absolutely more ore/wood/stone etc in a large world, however there aren't more biomes, just bigger biomes.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Saxophone posted:

So two big questions:

Is there a program yet that let's you force a world to spawn with certain things? (crimson, ores, pyramid, etc.)

What's the best way to build my base for NPC (and personal) safety?

a Floating castle that is about a screen and a half above the ground, but below the floating islands.

Alternatively below the ground level, but clear everything on the sides of it for 10+ spaces so stuff can't even spawn onscreen.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 4, 2013

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dareon posted:

I also found this cave like, right above Hell. Aside from the mildly interesting wallpaper, there's nothing special in it at all.

I think that is supposed to be a "lavatube" with Obsidian Wall tiles. Nothing special about it, just an interesting aesthetic. I wish hell had patch work obsidian wall generated around it kind of like the jungle does, would make placing torches less annoying.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Skull Dad posted:

How do I combine the red balloon, horse shoe, and cloud/blizzard/sandstorm in a bottle?

The horse shoe is out. You need 3 red balloons. Combine each with a bottle. Then combine all the bottles.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

paraspam posted:

I don't know what I should be doing now. I have a gold pickaxe, spear and lead armour. I have some nice items like a grappling hook and a cloud in a bottle but where should I go to get better items? I've not built a proper base yet - does it matter where I put it? I'd like to build one in the red biome but my pickaxe can't mine the rocks there.

Fight the first boss, get demonite, smash shadow orbs, defeat second boss, mine meteors, go to hell, mine-hellstone, clear jungle/dungeon, prep base for hardmode, go to hardmode.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shukaro posted:

Water sadly evaporates in hell automatically. :(

That's actually a good change, flooding hell with water can basically ruin the world.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Honestly Red should make the Crimson the "hardmode" Corruption. Or vice-versa. That way every world would get both of those biomes and it wouldn't be just a reskin (also you could make the crimson rain much better).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Male Man posted:

I don't get the appeal of a double or even quadruple jump over rocket boots. I know you can have both, but I'd rather get straight to the rocketing and skip all this air jumping nonsense.

Flexibility = Fun

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea it's bad game design. It's ok if the vendors update their inventory as the game progresses, but you should haven't to micro-manage your NPCs to get whatever they are selling.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Saxophone posted:

How the hell do you even kill wall of flesh with normal mode gear? I've got full molten armor with obsidian skull and the rose that lets me touch lava and not die and I'm just getting demolished and I don't feel like I'm doing much damage to it at all. I suppose I will potion up and see if that helps but yikes. I get the little feelers dead and then the wall to like 6k/8k health and then just die horribly. By then, I can't catch up with him and he'll have despawned. Oy.

Bee Grenades are awesome and probably the easiest way to kill the WoF. You get them from Queen Bees which are in the Jungle. Queen Bee's havea super predictable attack pattern, and in a small world there are usually 4-5 Bee Hives. Also honey.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Making end-game items game breaking should be a feature of any good game. It's fun to grind and be clever to get to the point of god-hood. But I want a reward for getting there, namely I can trivialize the entire game.

It's one of the reasons I like RPGs or any game where the more careful you are at the start, the more you steamroll at the end. Life steal items in Terraria break the game nicely, and I appreciate that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

President Ark posted:

I want the game to challenge me without having to arbitrarily limit myself.

I do to, up until I get the game-breaking stuff. I guess the problem is Spectre armor can be gotten too early. If it required Chlorophyte or something (or if ectoplasma only dropped in the jungle dungeon), then it would be ok, but as it only requires ectoplasma, which can be gotten directly upon entering hardmode if you are clever, it's probably too good for being so easy to get.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The only thing that needs to be done to bring melee up to snuff is give the terra blade lifesteal, say 30% or whatever. Now you can melee facetank, spell cast facetank (spectre armor) or ranged facetank (vampire blades). Done.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

benzine posted:

Vampire Blades, count as melee damage.

They count as melee damage but are ranged projectiles. So really they are ranged. Plus they are as good as spectre armor, so it's fine.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Hardmode biome concerns are mostly overblown. You can secure your base fairly easily even in the corruption and most importantly who cares if your npcs die? They will respawn with in a like 5 minutes.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Also I'm not even sure that corruption matters for your fortress. It won't spread through crafted blocks of any type so your fortress can't become corrupted. Formerly the corruptor spit would mess up your fortress, but that isn't the case anymore.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Edwhirl posted:

Before I get this game, I have a few questions.

How much am I missing if I just stick to single player and don't bother with multiplayer?

Also how hard is it to get a server set up and running, if I do decide to multiplayer?

Single player and multiplayer are identical content-wise. Obviously the bosses are easier with two players etc, but there is nothing you can't solo. I and others have a lot more fun in multiplayer, but it's still a good and relaxing game singleplayer.

Ease of multiplayer is hit and miss. I have no problems hosting/joining a server, others have to use hamachi, ymmv.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Aren't you guys always like "hardmode bosses are seriously easy"
Because I cannot beat a single one. Not the metal eyes, not the metal worm, not the metal skull, no dice.
How the hell are you supposed to dodge this poo poo, there's lasers everywhere and everything rams you so fast.
My world has corruption instead of Crimson so I can't get that golden shower thing everyone loves, and I don't really feel like going to another world for crimson hardmode stuff. My gear is paladium armor, wings, and a few toys like the dao of pow, an upgraded lightsaber, a nimbus cloud, cursed flames tome, and exploding arrows and bullets. I'm surviving the underground corruption and hallow well enough to take home some souls and stuff, but against bosses I cannot win. What's the trick? Do I have to upgrade to higher armor? Is there a dodging technique? Or do I have to build an arena and a bunch of gizmos to even have a fighting chance?

I'd grind the dungeon but I have not figured out what to do about casters who just appear and then cover the entire screen with spells.

Dao of Pow with Palladium armor plus some potions is good enough for the destroyer. Reforge Shackles to Warding and you can just stand inside of him getting multiple hits with the Dao of Pow. Create a few layers of stone/etc that all the laser drones can't shoot through and you can use them to harvest hearts and stay alive. Most importantly until you get the stupidly broken end-game weapons is you need piercing weapons. Dao of Pow is the best, but demon scythe, crystal bullets or I think Jester Arrows, will work too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I don't understand why he nerfed the end game equipment. Just leave it alone, it was fine. It is not bad design that end-game equipment allows characters to defeat end-game bosses.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dizz posted:

I still think the spectre gear is really strong. What should have happened to the set was not nerf what it does, but how to make it. Because Ectoplasm farming is relatively easy.

Yea, add some kind of chlorophyte requirement or something. It's fine.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sloober posted:

Post nerf I don't think it'll be nearly strong enough to facetank through things anymore. On top of the life steal reduction the defense was reduced, and the defense number was already fairly anemic.

Chlorophyte is easy to get so not sure how this would make it any harder?

Fine make it a turtle shell then, I still haven't found one of those.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fewd posted:

What a bother. I hate being rushed into things, especially in a 2d tree building simulator.

But looking at someones "client just updated" post here, it's been patched in middle of the night local time and my game is still unpatched. Gonna just unplug the network cable when I get home and kill Destroyer or something.

You aren't rushed, don't worry about it. The threat of corruption and hallow overrunning you is the most overblown thing in this thread. It's fine, don't worry about it. There is also an end-game item that can quickly and easily reverse any biome changes no matter what. You are not rushed.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I've only ever had it spawn from the right, usually I'll build my highway over toward the right quite a ways, run to the end of it and throw the voodoo doll into lava. I've never had it spawn on the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
How to make money:
Go to the hardmode.
Drink a Battle Potion
Kill stuff.

Most stuff drops multiple coins, then the items they drop can be converted into gold easily.

• Locked thread