Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Man I am so stoked for this show to be back on air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm extremely disappointed in this premiere. They had a perfect chance for a guard to say "NO TOUCHING!" and didn't take it. For shame, CW. For shame.

(the episode loving owned i'm so glad arrow is back)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Wolvorine posted:

I poo poo you not that was the first moment of this entire show's run so-far that broke my suspension of disbelief. Not in any game-breaking way, just enough to make me step back and go "aww man" sadly. But then Ollie eventually got suited-up and using a bow as a melee weapon and I was fully happy again. :)

Hahahah, you gotta be kidding me. I laughed my rear end of at so many points during this episode because of how ridiculous it all was. Especially that Tarzan swing to get Felicity off the land mine. But I embrace the absurdity, for it is awesome.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

You have got to be loving me with that ending. I have to wait a week for the outcome? :argh:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This show is beautiful in its equal portrayal of gorgeous men and women. It's utterly shameless, and that's a wonderful thing.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ufarn posted:

She also played a soldier in the show she was on before Arrow, so I wouldn't play up the TRANSFORMATION too much.

Looks like I have a new show to watch.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Well, let's not understate this show's propensity for aping the Nolan films.

Only way better.

I love the Dr. Fraser is in this now too. The bestest doctor can now be the bestest lawyer! :allears:

This show loving owns so much.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Whiteycar posted:

I said that about the first 2 seasons of Nikita, poo poo kept moving.

And then there was the third season....

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Deadpool posted:

I know they're ramping up the comic tie-ins big time but can we please ease up on comic talk about stuff not in the show. Like Batman. Yes, I know there's a lot of ripoff stuff with Batman and Green Arrow but that's been hammered into the ground for years. Also don't bring up backstory for characters that haven't even been introduced on the show yet please. I know some of you guys are like me and like all these comic nods and the directions they seem to be heading in, but there's plenty of people here that have never touched a comic so just let them experience this stuff when show introduces them if it even does. There is a TV thread in BSS now and it's pretty sparse on Arrow conversation last I checked. So maybe you fellow comic fans can initiate a little conversation there.

Yeah seconding this. I've never read the comics and know nothing about any of the characters or their backstories, and it really kills it for me when I read a ton about some character in this thread before they even show up on camera. Also the endless and pointless comparisons to batman are so awful.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This show has no right being this loving amazing, god drat.

CW, whatever you're doing, never stop.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

They have already said that this is the beginning of Laurel's journey to becoming Black Canary.

Can we please keep future things in spoilers, come on, that's a big one.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Chasiubao posted:

Especially for people like me who haven't read the comics :(

I haven't either, now it's spoiled for me. I really can't stand knowing what happens ahead of time. :/

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

xerxus posted:

He's played by David Nykl, aka Dr. Zelenka from Stargate Atlantis.

I love Canadian / Genre Actors.

Holy crap I totally didn't notice behind that beard, that's awesome. Hope he shows up more.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

So does Felicity. And that cop. Also, Sin probably.

What I'm saying is Laurel sucks.

I would not be upset if she somehow died suddenly. In fact I think it would be great.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Drifter posted:

That's silly, don't be like that. She is going to go through a dramatic drunken-disorderly story arc for a few episodes; she'll probably be like Ollie's sister in the beginning of season 1 for a while, and then she'll realize the things about her sister, and then her sister'll die to save them from ninjas or whatever, and Laurel will stop drinking when she learns of her sister's death a second time and then take up the mantle of the Canary using all her fighting skills she learned about during the island underground Russian Rage Cage matches secret ninja assassin monasteries Karate class.

She's not just annoying because she's going through ~rough times~, she's always been really annoying and consistently the worst recurring character. Her leaving would be good for the show.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Please kill Laurel, she gets worse every episode. The only thing marring this otherwise perfect show!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Well yeah, Ollie having his friends to keep him in check both on the island and off while Sara doesn't couldn't be telegraphed harder last episode short of Caity Lotz looking into the camera and winking after saying it. I hope this show doesn't go down the obvious "Your methods are too extreme!" "You didn't have to do what I did to survive!" path.

She's the "This is what you could have become" character for Ollie.

I don't think they'll do that, based on how detective Lance reacted to her literally snapping a guys neck in front of him. This sore seems to be pretty good about avoiding that stuff, except somehow where Laurel is concerned (please kill her).

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This show is the greatest. I'm not a fan of the Ollie/Felicity thing though.

But Zelenka! I sure hope we see a lot more of him. Him being a Russian badass is the greatest thing ever. :allears:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

I love that they didn't have Ollie so completely paralyzed by the no-kill rule that he wasn't able to do what needed to be done. It was hard for him and it'll continue to be something he struggles with, and I love a superhero story that's willing to deal with this issue intelligibly.

Arrow is everything that Batman isn't. And it's awesome.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

She should have showed for the party.

Thank god she didn't, it would be a repeat of literally every other party scene with her. She acts like a huge baby and makes some drama with Ollie, or he does with her. And it would be awful to watch. Like it always is.

This episode was so fuckin good

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Roy is gonna be so pissed.

Also, Thea in that dress :holymoley:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Incredible.

Next week, lets do that again, only without Laurel this time.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Laurel

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Slasherfan posted:

I think Sin is a more interesting character thence Laurel is.

Significantly so. Hell, Summer Glau's character is more interesting than Laurel and I can't even remember her name.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

hcreight posted:

Oliver always thought Tommy would look good with a bit of facial hair, so that's how he chooses to remember him.

I knew there was something going on there all along

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Had Laurel and Blood ever met before this episode? I can't remember, but it seems sudden that she's convinced he's a double-secret bad guy when I can't remember them even interacting before.

yes, multiple times

they went christmas shopping together (lol)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I just wanna know how her face turned into a triangle

Seriously it's ridiculous

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Next week's episode, Blind Spot, is supposed to be "Laurel's episode" by the way. So that'll be interesting!

:negative:

Lets just hope by "Laurel's episode" it means the one where she dies. She finally got relevant to the plot, but she's still extremely annoying. All the scenes with her are significantly lower in quality than everything else in the show.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I still say Lance knows who he is, just plays along.

"It was a gift from a friend."

"You have friends?"

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Was a good episode. I still don't like Laurel as a character but at least her screen time was finally relevant.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

VagueRant posted:

It did however make me sad that so many well choreographed fight scenes and stunt performances have been wasted due to poor directing and editing. (And not helped by the dark lighting either, unfortunately.) The lovely backroom footage of the stunt dudes rehearsing from one camera angle makes the action look so much clearer and cooler than the quick-cutting, limb-flailing nonsense we see in the end. It's not the worst example of it around, but still. :smith:

If the fights actually looked like that in the show they would lose all of their tension and drama, the show would be a complete flop if it looked like that. There's a very good reason stuff is fast and hard to follow and not lit like a surgery table.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Because you don't always want the same thing out of a fight scene. Sometimes slow and deliberate fulfills what you need from a scene better than a frantic fight. Slade killing those guys wasn't supposed to be clean or clear, the scene was set up to demonstrate that he was unpredictable, bloodthirsty, and powerful, filming the scene in the way that they did does all that while still maintaining a certain level of his mystique. We're supposed to be afraid of his power without really understanding it, which won't come until he meets Arrow.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Her face is a goddamn triangle. It's so weird.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

That's her? Looks like a completely different person. :psyduck:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Yeah, I agree. I still love the show, but I liked in season 1 its comic book origins didn't bash you over the head as much as they do in 2. I loved the flash character, but I'm very much not a fan of how supernatural stuff is being brought it. I liked before where stuff might have been a little over-the-top, but it was all still definitely not supernatural. Mirakuru is slightly less annoying in that aspect, but it's still a little over the top. I would have preferred if Roy and Ollie teamed up under more normal circumstances.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

What a loving great episode. Ollie letting Roy in on the big secret so fast was awesome and amazingly in-line with the whole show moving crazy fast.

Sadly, Laurel was once again a complete deadweight that ruined every scene she was in. Please kill her. She is a terrible actress with a terrible pathetic character, she offers nothing of value. Could even cause a big jump in character development for detective Lance, who is awesome.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

hcreight posted:

gently caress me running, this man wants me to love him.

He's so great. :allears:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Dessel posted:

This is a great show and I don't read comic books. Also, am I a sucker for shedding a few tears during few scenes this season? I know, I'm a crybaby and this show is kind of corny but somehow it just... works. :psyduck: Also loving the "one liners" and ridiculous dialogue at times. I laughed way too much at the dialogue where Oliver asks how Laurel is doing, Laurel tells him to stop and... He asks it again in a completely deadpan manner. I only realized what happened when Laurel was disdained about it. Yeah, I think I was tired but that made it perfect. (I can't remember which episode since I marathoned this season, pretty much).

Also, am I the only one surprised that Star...Starlington? City is supposed to have a population of 600 000 with that skyline. Then I saw the picture about Vancouver and the shooting locations and checked wikipedia. Oh. :aaa: - Though the metropolitan area is obviously more populous. (In retrospect I've been surprised at the population counts of many major cities over-represented in popular media - American media just has that much spread over the world - though Rust Belt and post-industrialization has a factor in it). - Wait, didn't the city used to have a more flourishing industrial sector? In fact Oliver's night club and... Wow. :aaaaa:

In fairness, the population thing could just be like metropolitan vs city limits kind if thing. For example, I live in KC, population is like 400k, but metropolitan area is over 2m.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ded posted:

No. It's because the writing for her has been absolute poo poo till recently.

And her acting is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

No, you guys don't normally hate the bad actors.

Lots of the actors in this show aren't very good actors, but none of them grate the way she does.

• Locked thread