Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ShadowCatboy posted:

At first I thought that was a pile of beets and the whole dish was vegetarian. Even though I'm an avid meat addict I have to say I'm mildly disappointed that it wasn't.

Looks gorgeous though! I'm personally working on a modified chicken porchetta recipe that will be done in the sous vide.

"Done sous vide" or "Cooked with the immersion circulator/in a water bath", "sous vide" is the cooking method, cooking something "in the sous vide" is the same as cooking it "in the roasted".

What are you trying to work on? http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/11/the-food-lab-turkey-porchetta-thanksgiving-recipe.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

Most times refer to cooking the food straight out of the refrigerator. From frozen, add an additional 30 minutes per inch of thickness. For longer cook times, it all works out in the end.

This is totally wrong, cook time does not vary linearly with thickness.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Awesome thank you very much! I'm thinking about picking up filet mignon, is this a good or bad idea? Would a ribeye or new york be better for my first time?

edit: Also on this cool little site, I notice it doesn't say how well it cooks the meat. Is it safe to assume for beef most of those temperatures are medium?

Filet is a silly meat to use for your first time, because it is super lean and all you need to do is get it up to temp. It does not provide a significant benefit sous vide over a grill or pan. I would do shortrib or ribeye. Lamb shoulder or Turkey would both be better demonstrations of sous-vide.

The doneness depends on what temperature you set it at, like so:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

As a rule of thumb shamelessly stolen from the SVSuprime website, it works ok. Are you frequently cooking very thick frozen cuts of meat?

I am not, but sous vide stuff is something that is more dangerous than almost every other form if cookery if done wrong so maybe we shouldn't give bad unqualified advice in this thread?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Spatule posted:

I'm thinking we should hold a meeting where everyone brings their puddle machine and we all sizzle some ribs at different temperatures and durations, so they all finish together, then we compare.
I loved the 68C - 18h ones I just did because it was just the right balance -to me- of soft but not too soft texture with rendered fat (no knife required) and "short" cooking time, but maybe I' missing out by not doing 24h at 63.5 or whatever.

You can do this yourself by cook-chilling them, just do them in batches for each temperature. So for 135F bag a bunch into separate bags and pull them at 12, 24, 36, 48 and 72h, chilling each in an ice bath, then repeat for 131F and 140F and whatever other temperatures you want, then reheat them all in a 120F bath to get them all to the same temp for testing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Mainly for seafood, but people sear plenty of steaks in butter, no?

You sear in oil and finish in butter, butter has to much water in it to sear properly

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

Take 2 lbs ground beef and some salt + pepper, and form it into 8 burger patties, roughly 1" thick. Bag individually, and puddle at 138*F or so for anywhere between 1.5 and 4 hours (I like to get this started after dinner, and then forget about them until just before bed). Stick 'em in an ice bath, and then into the fridge. Congratulations, you have pre-made hamburgers for the next week or so. You can sear them in a pan if you're feeling fancy, or just toss them in the microwave at work.

You still have to sear them if you want them to not suck, this is somehow actually more effort than just making a few burgers from scratch in a pan.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

like i get that you mention cooking them in a pan but like

by the time this is seared in a pan it's done already

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Veritek83 posted:

I always thought that vacuum sealing had it's benefits for long term cooks- 72hr short ribs and the like, in terms of bag integrity. I know I've gotten worried about my ziplocs during the longer cooks I've done (~24 hours) and was planning on grabbing a FoodSaver or equivalent before I get into the multi-day stuff.

The foodsaver I have has a very good chance of bursting if I cook something s-v for 72 hours, and I've never had a heavy duty ziploc bag burst on me.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ola posted:

No they are not. Gases are gases, liquids are liquids. That's two of the three phases of matter.

Fluids are substances that flow when exposed to a shear stress.

Gases and liquids are both fluids.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

When puddling multiple dishes, are you just doing one at a time and setting aside or what

You can just cook them all at their appropriate temperatures and chill them in an ice bath, then reheat everything to the temperature of the lowest-temp item in the meal (so for carrots you cook them at 180F, then reheat them at 125F or whatever you're cooking your steak at)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

I didn't think up to 6 hours would have too much of an effect on beef. Anyway, I'll heed your advice.

I picked up a couple of strip steaks and will try two hours at 137 (my wife likes medium rare, I like medium, so hopefully this gets us in the ballpark).

To do this, you cook the high temp steak first, then lower the temperature of the water bath and do the low temp steak (you're not going to overcook the high temp steak unless you do something stupid like cook it for a week), then dry them both and sear. Just pick whatever colour you want.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Kalista posted:

I started a beef cheek tonight, with roasted garlic, celery and red onion. The bath is 167 degrees, I'm not sure if I'm going to make this a 24 or 48 hour session. Thoughts, advice? The cheek weights in at 1.8 pounds.

Here's the lil' guy

stop putting garlic in your sous-vide sack, it's way better with powdered garlic.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mls posted:

I originally did corned beef at 135 for 36 hours for St. Patty's Day, but decided to try a higher temp based on my google search. At 135 it turned out super moist and tender (cut with a fork). I tried 160 for 24 hours and it came out pretty dry. I'm hoping to do a brisket with some liquid smoke soon, and at this point I am leaning towards a lower temperature for longer period of time.

On another note, I did short ribs at 144 and a few even fell of the bone when taking them out of the bag. I would recommend a red wine and balsamic vinegar reduction over polenta for anyone trying it.

160 is a bad temperature for what you were doing, if you want to proper braise it you need to do it at a higher temp.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

They could add a blow torch so it can sear my food once it's done

ehhh it's really not worth it, a hot pan is way better.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

Never found scrambled eggs to be worth the effort.
They're worth it when you're feeding a lot of people!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Douglas Baldwin's stuff is super good in terms of knowing how to not be insane about safety. Also there's a free in-depth primer online.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I never use the bag juice for anything. I either make a pan sauce with the fond after I sear the thing or just make some other sort of sauce while it's puddling or searing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

FredLordofCheese posted:

The chicken I did had awesome smelling bag juice so I ended up adding a little red wine and reducing it into a sauce. I think it depends on what you put in the bag? I had fresh oregano, thyme, halved garlic cloves, ground black sea salt, and fresh ground pepper.

The garlic cloves tasted awful though, I picked them out. They tasted like a sponge with no flavor.

Use powdered garlic instead of fresh when doing s-v stuff, fresh is super terrible comparatively.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I bought the original full-size svs (which has no corrosion issues) right when it came out and it's fine, but the temperature control is worse than an IC and it's just so huge an inconvenient to have around all the time.

I'm going to replace it with an Anova (probably) soon.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

.Z. posted:

Why would you think that? One of the purposes of the home version was to provide methods that would be within reasonable reach of a home cook. i.e. Not use equipment that costs thousands of dollars. That was what the original giant set of MC books was for.

There are loads of recipes in the original modernist cuisine that you can make at home with not-too-expensive equipment.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I wouldn't bother unless you're going to get a chamber sealer, they're too much of a pain in the rear end.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

A while back someone asked if there were any viable alternatives to plastic bags for sous vide. Jars and jugs seem to be the only viable alternative.

Keep in mind that it takes a lot longer for heat to distribute evenly through solids.

There are food safety concerns if you do this without lots of liquid in the jars/jugs, because you really need decent thermal contact between the jar and whatever's inside the jar to not die (i.e. do liquid or a thing in liquid in the jar).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Shadowhand00 posted:

I imagine if you wanted to do the French Laundry preparation of Butter poached lobster, jars would be a perfect method of doing that.

Thomas Keller used to circulate butter as the cooking medium and poach lobster directly in the butter bath (if I'm not misremembering).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Test Pattern posted:

OK. Should I worry about air in the headspace? IE: Do I want the attachment to evacuate a mason jar using my foodsaver?

What are you trying to do where this is a concern?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

geetee posted:

I made a sous vide + searzall burger that came out really tasty. Getting better with the technique, but I think it's woefully inefficient if you want to cook for more than one or two. Even two is a stretch.

Pro tips:
1) Brush meat with butter.
2) Get as close as humanly possible to the meat.
3) Have a base you can easily rotate. Angle about 45 degrees over the edge and slowly rotate. Then finish off with circles on top.

Butter has a very high amount of water in it, try something else?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

a foolish pianist posted:

Also, Cambros are more expensive and less insulated than coolers. They're worse in basically every way.

They're way more useful for day-to-day kitchen usage? You can use them for loads of stuff, a cooler isn't really great for storing food in your fridge or whatever.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hypnolobster posted:

What is a general maximum thickness for cylinder shaped objects? I'm thinking of breaking down my turkey for thanksgiving this year and making a porchetta to sous vide, and probably a second skin on breast so I have two.

I've got a 25+lb bird on order however, so it might end up being an awfully thick porchetta, although I suppose I could meat glue some of the big birds breast meat onto the probably smaller second one.

Check Baldwin's Guide to Sous Vide Cooking for details, but generally about 3.5-4" is the maximum thickness you want, depending on the temperature you're cooking at.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SirRobin posted:

Plug it in.

I thought it was supposed to have wireless?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I've had better luck with the Ziplock freezer bags than with a cheapish foodsaver.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Whiteycar posted:

Sous vide supreme is a loving tank... A slow somewhat inaccurate tank but that thing will probably outlast me.

I would really prefer an immersion circulator in terms of using up a ton of space in my kitchen, but I've had my sous-vide supreme for like 5 years now and it's still running strong, even if it's a giant pain in the rear end to get out and use sometimes compared to a clip-on circulator.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I find it shrinks up too much that way. So I got medieval on it.

Cut into triangles for serving

/dad eats all of it, pretends that he doesn't understand why you're mad

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Electric Sugar posted:

I have a friend who recently had a heart attack. In an attempt to stock her freezer with healthier goodies that she doesn't have to cook or do much with while she is recovering at home, I started thinking about the opportunities the sous vide offers - cooking with no added fat, but still being totally delicious, etc. I'd like to find a couple things that I could bag and cook for her and she'd just have to reheat that may be good frozen as well.

Has anyone tried re-freezing after cooking things like chicken or pork? I'd be concerned it would just kind of turn to mush. Is this something that might work, or should I stick to making/freezing foods "traditionally"?

If you are going to do this you should read up about how to cook-chill correctly, there are food safety things you need to worry about.

I think baldwin's practical guide to sous vide cooking covers it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Plinkey posted:

So what can I do with the leftover juice from doing short ribs for 72 hours?

From what I've read on the internet is ranges from use it in a balsamic something sauce to get rid of it there's not enough. Anyone have any good recipes?

Bag juice is terrible, just get rid of it and make a sauce separately.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Lamb shoulder, turkey, and cut of pork are all amazing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Gorman Thomas posted:

Are there any good guides on how to properly sear using a blowtorch?

I used a ts8000 on a pork tenderloin last night and was a little too heavy handed with the torch.

just use a pan, it's not worth it

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SubG posted:

Most shellfish come out quite well butter poached, which is what you get if you throw a shitload of butter in the bag before you throw it in the puddle machine.

This is from a long time ago, but The French Laundry initially started sous-vide using a circulator-heated bath of butter to perfectly poach lobster for some of their menus. I can't even imagine what a cambro full of butter costs.

The initial thing that s-v was used for with respect to cooking was to heat/cook foie without the usual loss you get when you poach a torchon.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Huge_Midget posted:

If you aren't making a pan sauce with the bag juice from 48+ hour short ribs I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems, but my sauce ain't one.

Seriously though, after my 72 hour short ribs are done, I strain all the bag juice through some synthetic cheese cloth into a fat separator. Let the cheesecloth catch all the coagulation and the fat rises to the top and then you can decant the good poo poo from the bottom of the fat separator. Pour the decanted meat juice into a saucier, add some black peppercorns, a bay leaf, a pinch of kosher salt, a clove or two of smashed garlic, some fresh thyme, and a few tablespoons of butter. Bring it to a gentle simmer and whisk it to bring it all together. My wife calls it the money sauce.

I honestly super dislike bag juice sauces and almost always either make a separate sauce in a bag or just make a random sauce while things are sous-vide-ing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

redweird posted:

My friend is getting into sous vide which is cool for me as I like food. I would like to buy him a blowtorch but I'm unsure what kind to get (what fuel is good etc). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Bear in mind that blowtorching stuff like steak is way more annoying and time consuming than searing it in a pan, and it won't turn out as well (in my opinion).

It's nice to use for other stuff though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

1) Will this hurt my cook, letting the meet get up to ~room temperature, and then re-sous videing it for the remaining time at 184F? Will this ruin flavor, texture, juiciness etc?

I would not eat this and would definitely not even consider feeding it to anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Juice Box Hero posted:

My girlfriend's parents have decided to throw her a surprise bday party at my house. They brought a cured spiral sliced ham. The instructions say to cook for 2-3 hours at 275 f.

I would like to try sous vide on this thing because spiral sliced ham is stupid and dries out like crazy in an oven. I've got it in a bath at 160 right now.

Will it heat through as fast as it would in the oven? Any recommendations?

How big is it? If it's more than about 4 inches thick you're going to want to pull it out, cut it in half, and get it back in the bath. It's going to take longer than in the oven.