Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
This is why I never bother with anything on Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Steve Yun posted:

I didn't realize until just now that Sansaire is a pun.

Sans air.

You and me both. Damnit

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
When you guys are doing steaks in the puddle then searing them afterward, if you're aiming for an internal target temp of 135, wouldn't it be wise to sous-vide them to 130 and then sear? Surely the internal temp would raise at least a few degrees with the quick finishing sear, no?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Shbobdb posted:

I'm seeing a lot of "just a slab of meat" and who the gently caress wants that for a meal?

Is this a joke

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I want an Anova but using a pot on my stovetop with my Thermapen, and the food in Ziplocs is working pretty goddamn well if I don't say so. Tough to justify $200 when I'm getting incredible results with what I already have!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Ribeye steaks are the best steaks.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Today I'm doing Kenji's sous-vide shrimp (with jumbo tigers, 6-8/lb) at 130 for 15 minutes, then I will sear them atop my Arteflame grill insert for my Weber 22.5" that's been heating up for a few hours now. It'll be served alongside a salad of some sort and arroz con coco.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

sterster posted:

Curious to know how the Short Ribs turn out. I saved some ribs from a Ribeye roast that I cut and I don't know what to do with them. Suggestions welcome.

Throw them in a smoker.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Jan posted:

On the other end, Anova had a more basic version of this where you could ice bath your water and autostart a cook if it warmed up beyond safe temperatures. Guess what happened? They stopped supporting that feature and dropped it for... "more recipes in app"! :downs:

They probably dropped it for liability reasons.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I have a nice hangar steak rubbed with Meat Church Holy Cow in the bath at 125 right now. I will be searing it on my Arteflame grill insert in an hour or so. My first time puddle cooking a steak!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
PHEW my faucet water temp is 125-126.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

sterster posted:

I just did the 5lbs porkbutt Kenji has a recipe for. It'd feed that many people. It however takes like an hour in the oven after the puddle cook time. As mentioned I cut the salt to 2 tbs.

I did two 10lb pork butts with my Anova about a month ago for a party that I brought to 165 F over 21 hours, then I smoked them at 225 with Kingsford charcoal and sugar maple wood chunks until they reached 203 internal which was another 3.5 hours or so. They were unbelievable.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Got a big Foodsaver today. The instructions say to leave 4" of space from the stuff in the bag when you seal it, is this really necessary? Seems like a ton of waste off of a roll.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I put two 10lb pork shoulders into Foodsaver bags and sealed them yesterday. Into the bath at 165 they went for 23 hours. I come home from work today 30 minutes before they are to come out and I notice one of the bags has blown out. It's hard to tell, but I assume a tiny hole formed around the bone of one of my picnic shoulders and a bit of the liquid leaked out.

No harm, no foul, no weird smells and everything is cooked through. A soak of the Anova in CLR and vinegar rendered it brilliantly clean, and I threw the shoulders in my Weber Performer for another 3 hours at 300 F over Dragon Breath lump charcoal with a few chunks of cherry wood to get that quick blast of smoke and build up a nice bark before finishing at 203 internal.

loving magical stuff, my wife's coworkers are going to be blown away tomorrow.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I did some carrots in the puddle earlier and have some boneless-skinless chicken thighs in there right now.

The carrots I did with salt, pepper, butter and cumin at 185 F for 1 hour. The chicken thighs were mostly frozen and I threw them into the vacuum bag (both foods sealed with a Foodsaver) with a store-bought jerk sauce at 165 F for 2 hours to take into account the frozen factor, with 25 minutes left.

Super excited for the results.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Is there a go-to torch for searing? Is that Sansaire Searing Kit or Searzall worth it at all? If the Searzall, which torch would pair best with it?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I have embarked on a 22-hour cottage roll (sweet pickled boneless pork shoulder, popular up here in Canada) at 165 F.

I am expecting hammy goodness tomorrow.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

VERTiG0 posted:

I have embarked on a 22-hour cottage roll (sweet pickled boneless pork shoulder, popular up here in Canada) at 165 F.

I am expecting hammy goodness tomorrow.

Update: unbelievably tender and delicious. I blasted it in a 500 F oven for 15 minutes to crisp up the outside after it was done puddling. Not too salty either, I was expecting a total salt overload.

Paired it with Kenji's super crispy roasted potatoes and the wife and I crushed it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

emdash posted:

is there a recipe for the roll itself? sounds like something i'd like

Feenix posted:

Also interested in recipe/instructions.

I don't know of one personally, but the brine is just water, salt, sugar and nitrates/nitrites/whatever. They're commonly sold in vac pacs around here.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
My range hood is also dogshit, moves only 180cfm, and I hate it.

Who makes a good 30" under-cabinet range hood that won't cost $1000?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I think they meant break the bird down into parts.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'm impressed that it somehow made it to market at all.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I've done 8ish-lb shoulders in the puddle at 165 for 24 hours a few times now, finished off for about 3 hours in a smoker without issue. I guess this is a bit risky?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I have wanted to make one of those porchettas for years now. With my week off I think I may have to attempt it. I did a whole turketta last year but didn't deep fry it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Elizabethan Error posted:

older eggs tend to have looser whites and will break easier. this is likely the reason there's a divergence texture-wise.

I'm convinced that this is the reason I haven't been able to do Kenji's hollandaise more than once successfully and I'm sticking to it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Hopper posted:

This may be a long shot but I assume your vent hood simply releases the air to the kitchen not to the outside? If so check whether there is actually a filter in there. If not buy a filter inlay, it's cheap.
The tennant before me apparently did not realize the filter was missing because he never cooked. Don't ask me how I found out.

This was my thought as well. If the vent hood just recirculates to the kitchen and not outside (like in many apartments) you're just pissing oil all over the place, which would explain the problem.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 7, 2018

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I start with hot too. It definitely shortens the time to get the water up to temp. Even faster with the insulating factor of the pingpong balls.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Subjunctive posted:

How much do the balls help? I recall reading that they didn’t do much, but I can’t remember where.

If I'm doing steak where the water bath gets to 130 it doesn't matter, but if I need to hit, say, 185 for doing carrots or those Starbucks-style egg bites, it helps quite a bit.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Throw it in a smoker or charcoal grill! Some of my favourite butts have been done sous-vide at 165 then finished for a few hours at 250 degrees F.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Feenix posted:

Why cut?

EVERIE Collapsible Hinged Sous Vide Container Lid for Anova Culinary Precision Cookers, Fits 12,18,22 Quart Rubbermaid Container (Corner Mount) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071L6PRY8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gPkSAbK6336XW

Christ these are $35 CAD on Amazon.ca. gently caress

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
We make batches of them on Sundays to take to work with us throughout the week for breakfast and we just microwave the jars for 30-40 seconds.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 28, 2018

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Bottom Liner posted:

coffee carrots in the oven

What is this

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Do those dudes all live together or what. It's a weird dynamic they have going on.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Subjunctive posted:

I have to say, half of my circulator use these days is for thawing frozen food on demand. They should advertise that more.

Say, for example, a whole chicken... 5lbs. How long, what temp?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Eat the fat you cowards

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I don't find his recipes salty at all. To me, they're good,

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I did 27 hour beef short ribs at 159 F. I had never done them before, so I just used salt and nothing else. The texture was perfect but next time I'll have to have a nice sauce to go with. All I did this time was reduce the bag drippings and use that as a gravy.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

xtal posted:

I got this instead in case anyone cares

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073DGT7XY/

Oh drat, I was just going to reply to your other post because I have that same Foodsaver you linked and I think it is cool and good.

But that one you bought is dramatically cheaper and will probably be fine too.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Get an Anova.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Dumb product supremacy!