Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Any updates on the searzall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Samizdata posted:

Mellow? The one that will keep it cold before and after it cooks it? And that I also believe has a goon involved with it?

It only keeps it cold before.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I made some chicken thighs using voltaggios method (garlic powder, salt, pepper, butter vacuum sealed with boneless skin on chicken thigh) and I made some extras.

The first batch cooked up great as I pan fried them the next day, but I have a few left that have been sous vided, but not pan fried, so they're still vacuum sealed. I froze them, so I'm wondering if they'll still taste good if I thaw them out and then pan fry? Or will the texture be hosed up due to freezing?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

MrEnigma posted:

My Anova One died today, exactly a year since I received it in the mail. Chopped up a 14lb brisket, put it in the bath and then left for the day. Came home to a dead anova and $45 worth of brisket that is now in the trash :(

I emailed them, hopefully they cover it under warranty (which is only 1 year). I have a Nomiku (wifi one) and an Anova (from their recent kickstarter) coming as well, but don't really want to be without for a month or two.

Just the entire thing stopped working? That sucks. Anova was really good about helping me out when my impeller was knocking against the housing. Quick return shipping and all.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KirbyJ posted:

So if my guests want, say, steaks or burgers cooked to different degrees of rareness do I need to have two circulator setups to get it done in a reasonable amount of time, or does the temperature shift fast enough that I can pull out the bags at the lower temperature and hold them and cook the rest at a slightly higher temperature?

Cook the highest temp stuff first, then lower the temp for the other stuff and keep everything in there.

Ex: 145 degrees for 1 hour for a medium steak, then leave that steak in there and drop temp to 135 for medium rare steaks.

Edit:another option is to cook everything the day before to the desired temps, then refrigerate.

The day of cooking, set the temp to 120/130 and warm everything up that way.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

geetee posted:

I made a sous vide + searzall burger that came out really tasty. Getting better with the technique, but I think it's woefully inefficient if you want to cook for more than one or two. Even two is a stretch.

Pro tips:
1) Brush meat with butter.
2) Get as close as humanly possible to the meat.
3) Have a base you can easily rotate. Angle about 45 degrees over the edge and slowly rotate. Then finish off with circles on top.

The searzall is inefficient? Why's that? just the time it takes?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So the searzall-how much smoke does it create? I'm considering one for fish and chicken because I think it would work better than a cast iron, but if it smoked out my house then gently caress that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I pounded some BSCBs, put prosciutto on top then rolled them. Cooked at 142, then panko breaded and flash fried. Served with a dijon sauce. Huge hit with the family.

How did you get the panko to stick?

Also, I'm completely unfamiliar with flash frying-any tips?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I don't understand how the panini press maintains temp throughout the entire protein without overcooking.

The one that sits on the induction cooktop looks cool if only for maintaining 350 degrees for frying stuff.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So speaking of chef steps, I made the salmon mi cuit yesterday and ate it today.

I've never had it before, but it tasted kinda like sushi I guess? It tasted so much like it that I put a bit of soy sauce on it and had it with rice.

Any other way you guys can think to eat it? I have half of it left for tomorrow because it says you can chill and keep it for 10 days.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Planning on making some flank steak and finishing on the grill for some carne asada tacos.

I'll do them medium rare, so I'm guessing 131 degrees-any idea how long I should cook them?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ended up doing the flank steak at 134 for 24 hours, with about one minute per side on the grill.

It turned out really good and it was very tender. Only thing I didn't like was the rub I put on it almost left it feeling dry on the top (cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder). I ended up moistening it pretty well with some fresh lemon juice drizzled on top during the finish. It made some awesome tacos.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Looking to buy some cod loin or haddock. What temp should I go for here? I guess I'll throw some garlic powder, salt, pepper in the bag with a bit of olive oil, cook it for a while, and then sear it on each side and finish with a bit of lemon? Any other suggestions?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Any recommendation on a go-to vacuum sealer (non-chamber). The rival one I had for the last 2 years just poo poo the bed and won't seal anymore. It's like the heating element doesn't turn on at the sealing strip anymore. Everything's been cleaned, but I'm not sure what else to do.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I've been having issues with sous vide lately-it just seems like I can get better results through normal cooking or grilling and I'm thinking it's due to seasoning, or lack there of.

The big thing I've seen this with are pork chops. If I grill them, I'll brine first and then cook on the grill and they always come out juicy and taste great. Sous vide though, I'll vac seal then without seasoning and cook to 140, then take out and season them, then dry off and sear in cast iron...I can get the crust good on them but they don't taste like anything. Probably not seasoning enough in sous vide?

Should I be seasoning things before I vac seal them?

My other problem is chicken. Sous vide chicken thighs with skin are great but chicken breast without skin suck...again, I normally don't season before vac sealing but even the texture in my skinless chicken breast suck...it's like there's no good way to brown the outside without drying the outer layer completely.

Steak is ok, but again-better results and a better crust through grilling it seems. And it's also like I feel like I'm cooking them too much that it will raise the temp too high. Example, sous vide at 135 for medium rare, but then I sear for 30-60 seconds a side-won't that raise the steak above medium rare? Obviously thickness of the meat will affect to a large degree...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Chemmy posted:

Are you seasoning the meat after you sear it when you use the puddler?

No, I generally take it out of the vac bag, pat dry, season, sear. I might put pepper on after searing, but never salt...I always do salt before. Probably because I'm used to that from normal cooking.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I've tried a few of kenji's recipes that have too much salt. He has said before that he really likes salt a lot and his family often calls him out on it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ultimate Mango posted:

Sous viddled my Turchetta today and chilled in advance of tomorrow. Worth reheating in a water bath before frying? Comments on the serious eats site suggest that frying from the fridge will warm it through adequately. Anyone done either approach and have feedback on what works?

I fried mine straight from the fridge and it was more than heated enough.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just started an 18 hour cook for the carnitas. I have them double bagged with a ziploc inner bag and a vacuum seal outer bag.
For the ziploc, I dunked it in water to remove most of the air and then I vacuum sealed that in a normal vac bag.

After submerging, I obviously didn't remove all the air from the ziploc.

I have both bags submerged underwater but there is clearly some air in the ziploc bag.

Even though there is still a bit of air, since it's underwater should it be ok?

E: never mind, rebagged it anyways.

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 16, 2017

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah the whole reason I did it twice is because I couldn't vac seal all the orange liquid.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So my carnitas turned out horribly-I did 165 at 18 hours and while it was easy to shred, one I put it under the broiler, the meat instantly went dry as could be. I seasoned it with salt and cumin after shredding and before broiling, and then tried to add some lime juice, but it was very dry. I tried two batches-one under the broiler for 7 minutes, and the other for only 3...the 7 minute one was dry to a crisp, and the 3 minute one wasn't browned, but tasted very dry.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

baquerd posted:

Put it closer to the broiler. You're not getting enough direct heat if 3 min doesn't brown or you need to get the outside dry enough.

Wait, you're not broiling the shredded meat, right? That seems like a very poor idea.

That's what the recipe said (shred then broil).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah, nothing wrong with broiling after shredding. That's what I did and they were great.

I'm kinda stumped as to what could have gone wrong. How thinly did you slice the pork and how finely did it shred? Also, you definitely used shoulder and not something leaner, right?

The pork was cut into probably 1.5-2" thick steaks almost. I think I shredded it a bit too fine-I've made pulled pork in the slow cooker before and was used to that instead of keeping big chunks. I tried the pork prior to broiling and it tasted a bit dry too. I think in retrospect I should have reserved some of the liquid and added that back to the shredded mix.

Also, I threw away all the fat prior to broiling. I don't think I'll be trying the recipe again, though-too much of a pain to let the immersion circulator go all day just to have it turn into that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Does anyone use anything to clean their anovo? Just wondering if I should fill my Cambridge with water/vinegar or something and let it run for a bit.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I was at a restaurant last week and ordered a buttermilk fried chicken sandwich from the bar. I got it, and it was fried great on the outside, but slightly pink when I cut into it.

I told them it was undercooked, and the cook came out and said it's sous vide, and they bring it up to 160 degrees and it's safe to eat. After he left, the waitress said they always get complaints on the chicken and she took it back and got me something else.

I didn't mention I've cooked sous vide and have my own machine at home, but all the times I've cooked chicken sous vide, thighs or breast, I've never had them come out any tinge of pink, and I cook them to 150F.

Am I wrong here? All I can think is maybe he didn't hold them at temp long enough or he was going lower than 150 to cook them but told me 160 because that's the "safe temp".

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jan posted:

You food plebs need to get on with the time, chicken and pork tartares are all the rage nowadays. :smug:

Seriously though, we're not in the stone age anymore and of all threads, I would think this one would be the most receptive to "unconventional" cooking.

That explains a lot, actually -- the last few times I did sous vide thigh at 155F, it still ended up pink exactly like that, despite leaving it in for 4 hours the last time to try to compensate. I basically always freeze meat and fridge thaw it 1-2 days before.

I'm receptive to unconventional cooking like sous vide, as I mentioned I have an Anova IC myself and I've been using it for over two years. However, I've never had chicken turn out pink which is what happened at the restaurant I was at. I didn't feel confident in the guys answer so I sent the food back, given my experience with sous vide.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bacon? How do you finish it to get it crispy?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BraveUlysses posted:

looks like they are doing refunds on the preorders, if you nag them on that FB page

Man that's gotta suck-having an idea and almost bringing it to production, but then something happened and having to cancel/refund all the orders. drat.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I never know the answer to this.

I sous vide'd a steak at 131 degrees yesterday for 2.5 hours, then into an ice bath for 20 minutes, and then the fridge.

I took it out today and placed it in 120 water for two hours with the intention of cooking it, but that didn't happen so back into the fridge.

Question-how many days can it stay in the fridge until I have to cook it?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright I'm having issues with my steak.

I cook them to 135, and then I refrigerate them to cook them a few days later.

Problem I'm having is I'll warm them up to 110 or so and then sear them, but they don't taste nearly warm enough when I go to eat them.

I'm guessing the easy answer is just heat them back up to 135 prior to cooking, or at least 130, but I'm just being lazy and not wanting to boot up the sous vide machine and use tap water instead.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I tried the chicken breast wrapped in prosciutto at 140 for an hour.

Just to confirm, you cook the chicken, then wrap the cooked chicken in prosciutto and then seat it right?

140 was just a little low for me, but otherwise it was good. However, I get like it needed a sauce. Maybe like a lemon butter sauce or something like a Marsala-any ideas?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I've got a duck thawing in the refrigerator, and was hoping to do the duck breasts tomorrow, which seems easy enough...what about the legs-any ideas? I'm guessing confit, but not sure how I'll get the duck fat to cook it in as I won't be rendering any fat (I don't think I will).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So boneless skinless chicken breasts-what’s a good way to actually finish them?

I have two in the refrigerator that I cooked for 1.5 hours at 150F and am having them for dinner tomorrow. I took on breast and butterflied it so it’s pretty flat. Just trying to get an idea of the best way to finish it to make it taste better than the bland experience I’m used to with it-I normally get a lovely texture on the surface from a quick on sear in a little vegetable oil, but I’m not sure what other option there is.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrianBoitano posted:

Lightly bread and pan-fry. Direct sear on skinless breast is a recipe for disaster.

If it's a component in chicken salad or w/e, no finishing necessary. Selling skinless breasts should be a drat crime.

Ok, this I might be willing to try...

Do I treat them like uncooked breasts? IE, flour, egg wash, bread crumb?

I'm thinking I will warm them up to ~130 first, then try the panfry suggestion.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Glottis posted:

I disagree. If you do a shallow fry at reasonably high heat you can nicely brown skinless chicken breasts without the meat getting stringy. It forms a minor crust. That's my go-to method.

So no breading, a shallow layer of oil in the pan heated to 350, and brown on both sides with no breading?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrianBoitano posted:

Puddle, then chill, then bread and fry while cold (obvs not frozen though).

If you sear while warm you'll overcook more. Chicken thinner than 1.5" should be warm throughout after searing. Thicker than that, maybe bring it up to room temp but definitely not 130.

Whatever breading you want as long as it's not only a thin flour layer, you'll be fine. It's just there because A) you want something to brown, and if it's bare chicken meat it'll get stringy, and B) to insulate the meat from the pan, which is why only flour or corn starch wouldn't quite do it with already-cooked chicken.

Tried this tonight and it turned out great! did flour, egg wash, and seasoned bread crumbs using grapeola oil to about 400 for ~2 minutes a side.

Only change I would make is warming it up just a bit longer prior to frying-it only sat out for about 30 minutes and it was barely warm at the thickest piece. Still great though-thanks!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I thought that the rule was no more than 4 hours between 40-140, not two hours though?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ugh. I tried the serious eats duck confit (36 hours at 155, refrigerate, and then cook at 450 until heated through and skin is crispy.)

Skin never crisped up and it didn’t taste nearly as good as the traditional method of confit.

I think I’m done with long cooks for soup vide for a while. I’ve done short ribs and they are good, but I had one time where I had to throw them out after 72 hours because it smelled way off. It’s just a pain in the rear end to find out your food isn’t great after using all that time up.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

atothesquiz posted:

I made this version: https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-duck-leg-confit and it turned out pretty good. Better than the last time I made them the traditional way and it requires WAY less fat. I simply threw in a few table spoons of solid fat in each bag instead of a 5qt dutch oven's worth.

This one sounds much better and easier. Maybe I'll give it a go the next time I buy a duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

using a torch to sear...is a propane torch ok? A company sent me a Bernzomatic T3500 to review and it only uses propane...I figured I might as well see how it works.