Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

dutchbstrd posted:

Hardly. I use my anova almost daily so I keep it plugged in all the time behind my fridge.

I think he was agreeing. No switch = minimalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I got an email yesterday warning that it was the last day for the coupon. You may be too late.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

A friend and I made a practice turchetta yesterday that was goddamn amazing. We followed the serious eats instructions except we used my friend's usual thanksgiving turkey seasoning mix (salt, pepper, allspice, candied ginger, an apple slice, onion, cinnamon, rosemary, and sage) to make the paste, and we went with 145 degrees instead of 140.

I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking to do something interesting for thanksgiving.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Brisket should be relatively cheap (almost the cheapest cut), not expensive.... But maybe it's different where you live, I guess.

It's been a while since I've done a brisket, but from what I remember, I liked it cooked at 166 degrees. I tried one at 133 and it basically came out like prime rib, nothing like brisket. Tried 150 and that wasn't satisfactory either.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I ended up trying a "sweet and sour" brisket, sous vide for 48 hours at 154 per Chef Steps. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

I can't find their sweet and sour recipe, but I did find a standard "smoked" style one (looks pretty good, I want to try it now). It suggests 154 also, but then there's 3-4 hours in an oven; I'm guessing this gets the internal temp high enough to get the usual brisket texture.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Most likely the European version will have a snootier attitude while the US version would be far more (disturbingly so) obsessed with guns.

Cultural implications aside, buying it in the EU would probably give you better warranty coverage (dunno what sansaire offers, but it's probably better under european regulations) on top of apparently being cheaper. Do it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

About 10 hours into a 24 hour pork shoulder, came back and noticed that the seal on the bag had broken and there is air around the top of the shoulder. Is that a safety issue or should it be fine given that it's still at 71 Celsius?

It's fine, just reseal it so water doesn't start getting in.

a foolish pianist posted:

EDIT: Brisket at 144f/30hours: good idea or bad idea?

I like brisket at 160; lower temps just don't produce a classic brisket texture, IMO. But this is entirely subjective and the only way to know what you'll like is to experiment.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

SubG posted:

Dremel, RotoZip, die grinder, angle grinder, Sawzall....

But if you're not the sort of person who'll buy any tool they might need more than twice in life, you can cut the flexible plastic cambro lids with a box cutter/utility knife, and the hard poly ones with a hacksaw, either of which will run you less than :10bux:.

Hole saw (another :10bux: assuming you already own a drill. Everyone should own a drill.) plus hacksaw makes the perfect fit. I don't know why anyone would try to use a dremel, what a PITA.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

If that's the case, though, does everyone dip their short ribs in boiling water before 48-72 hour cooks? I never have, and it's been fine. Unless there's a huge difference between 128 and 133 or whatever the modernist recipe recommends?

There is; bacteria start dying around 129-131 degrees.

Jan posted:

And even then, a quick dip in boiling water would probably take care of any surface bacteria. Though I've never bothered doing that for oven roasts and, as mentioned, they take forever to warm up.

The problem is, boiling the surface will not destroy botulinum spores. Doesn't matter when oven cooking, but it is a problem in a vacuum bag at 128 degrees.

That said, I've done a couple prime ribs without dying. But IIRC I did them at 135.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Phanatic posted:

How is that a problem? Botulinum can only sporulate in an anaerobic environment. It can only produce the botulinum toxin when it sporulates. The surface of your short ribs has never been an anaerobic environment, so it's exceedingly unlikely that there are any botulinum spores there, and it's also exceedingly unlikely that the interior of your short ribs has any c. botulinum hiding in it. Seriously, botulism is way, way, way down the list of foodborne illnesses. There are only about 150 cases per year in the entire US, and of those well over half are either infant botulism or from clostridium getting into wounds, only about 20 of those 150 cases are from food, and I'd be surprised if fewer than 18 of *those* didn't involve canning.

Botulinum spores are *everywhere*. Floating all around you in the air, in the dust on your desk, and quite possibly on the surface of your short ribs. Boiling won't destroy them, and sous vide by its very nature creates an anaerobic environment, just like canning. This is very different from most cooking processes. This means that, just like canning, botulinum is a reasonable concern when cooking sous vide. You shouldn't let your food is sit in a sub-130 degree bath for more than a few hours. That's hardly controversial advice.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 22, 2016

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Perfectly safe.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I'm pretty sure if your seals don't only go halfway up the bag, icebergs are a less immediate problem. Don't vizzle like a Titanic engineer!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Has anyone had good results with tri tip? Like brisket this seems to have really wildly varying temperatures/times when I try and look around.

5 hours at 133 is my preference. I usually end up doing 138 for my friends' sakes though. The one downside to a perfectly even cook is I can't just give the thinner ends to the people who have to have things overcooked...

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Christ I'm dumb. I puddled according to these instructions (5h/133F), took out my meat, got distracted and then somehow went to sleep with it on the counter and found it in the morning, 4 hours later.

If it makes you feel any better, last week I bought $60 worth of meat at Costco, drove home, did my usual evening routine, went to bed, woke up, and upon opening the fridge to look for breakfast realized the meat was conspicuously missing. I somehow skipped the whole "bring the groceries in" step.

The week before that I was halfway home from Costco when I realized I'd forgotten my cart full of stuff at the Costco food court.

You haven't achieved true dumb yet.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 13, 2016

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Anova has been emailing $50 off coupon codes. Here's some I'm not using: anova-ts8s266a and anova-7944ea67

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I got me a brisket flat from Costco that I'm going to cook this weekend. I've only tried it twice, about a year ago, and came to the conclusion that I prefer temps around 155-166 for a more classically briskety texture.

That said, anyone have a favorite brisket recipe? It's been so long I've forgotten what I'm doing anyway.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

$22 Foodsavers on Meh today.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Hopper posted:

it makes 0 sense to preheat when away from home. If you use hot water from the sink with 1 or 2 kettles of boiling water your can reach a high temperature really quickly, I do that instead of pre-heat when nobody is home.

I don't understand your argument. Get home, water is hot. Versus get home, refill container, boil two kettles of water, and then water is hot. Sure, you can argue the latter is 'easy enough,' at least for you... but that the former makes zero sense?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I'm also in CA so I only dump out my water every 3 months or so when it starts looking sketchy.

Honestly, the slowness of the newer anovas is only a mild annoyance I think... sous vide is already a slow process so what's an extra fifteen minutes? I've found it's still quicker than boiling a pot of water (which only ever takes you a small part of the way anyway). Then again I don't do veggies so I rarely go that hot. Make sure you have a lid so you're not bleeding heat.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

At 20oz and 165 degrees fixed, you might be able to sous vide a rib.

8And God said Thou shalt be rewarded for thy faith, and thy hunger abated, and the rib became whole. From snout to hoof it became whole. 9Adam saw that it was pleasing to the eye and remained tender, with lucious fruit placed between the teeth.

10And God said, This I have created for you. Eat of the flesh, and of the juices of the flesh, for they are righteous and pure, but do not eat of the apple of the mouth, for it is the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil, and surely you will be damned to the saltiest of miseries.

11And the Lord left Adam, and Adam's hunger grew. The meat of the rib was pleasing to his eye, but also was the apple. Now the crafty serpent appeared, flicking its tongue and whispering Lopezzzzzzzzzz with each breath. 12And the serpent said to Adam, Surely God did not mean for you to ignore such pleasing fruit. Did not the Lord promise knowledge? Does not salt bring out flavor?

13And Adam remembered that the serpent's words had led him to cook the first rib, of which the Lord God approved. And Adam was tempted by the fruit, and by the serpent's tongue, and so he ate of the apple. 14And his tongue was made sensitive. Adam desired to eat of the rib, but the salt upon it was overwhelming.

15And the Lord said, I see my mistake. I should not have protected Adam by hiding the salt from him. I should have created Adam a partner, one who could bluntly warn him his chosen recipe needed less salt, and perhaps more salad greens lest he die of a heart attack before the grandkids get to meet him.

16And the Lord wiped out his creation, land and sea He wiped out, man and animal He removed, all until even the light was gone, so that He could begin anew. 17And God said, This time, I'm sure everything will go smoothly.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 10, 2016

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Norns posted:

Recipes for tri-tip are all over the place.
Cook times and aromatic techniques vary wildly.

I have a 3lb tri-tip I wanted to hit some nice garlic and ginger flavors with. Plan on finishing in cast iron since I don't have a torch.

Any advice?

5-6 hours at 133 (or whatever you prefer; I actually usually do 138 because everyone else I know doesn't like 133). Lots of people say you shouldn't sous vide garlic, but I've literally never had an issue with it. With tri-tip I actually poke holes in it with a paring knife and insert slivers of garlic into the meat, but I may be a little weird.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Norns posted:

How's the texture at 5 hours @ 133? We both love rare steak so the lower temp sounds more appealing.

It's tender but it's nowhere near mushy or falling apart like a really long / higher temp cook would do.

Two more Anova coupon codes:

anova2-d69d3b95
anova2-859a737c

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

theres a will theres moe posted:

I think I'm just not a fan of the cut. You can make it pretty melty but the best you're ever going to get out of it is a remarkably edible mouthful of fat.

Have you tried short ribs done at 160 degrees or higher? I don't agree with this obsession with sous viding everything medium-rare just because you can. Med-rare short ribs are not pleasant IMO. Med-rare brisket feels like prime rib rather than brisket. Some things just need higher-temp cooking to get the right texture and/or fat rendering.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 17, 2016

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I was an idiot and left it in water for a long time (like two weeks, and it was already 3.5 years old) after a cook. Just forgot about it. I'd feel bad asking for a replacement, honestly.

I leave mine in the water basically constantly... :confused:

Maybe yours just has mineral buildup? Dump a bunch of vinegar into your water and then run it for a while.

The newer Anovas are fine but the lack of an on/off switch on the unit is lame.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Random Hero posted:

Turchetta in progress.

drat, I've never made such a nice and even turchetta and I've probably done a dozen now. There's always a fat end and a skinny end and then some random bulges, no matter how evenly I try to butterfly the breast. Nice.

Definitely wasn't just mineral buildup - the probe corroded pretty badly and broke off when I touched it.

Definitely doesn't sound normal to me. moe might have it right.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I also just did the carnitas and had similar problems. They were a bit dry (but not inedibly so) and the flavor wasn't really right. Also, as much as people complain about the amount of salt in Kenji's recipes, this one only said "season generously" and I must have missed the mark because the first thing someone said was "needs more salt."

I'll have to try a different recipe and put them closer to the broiler I guess. I really want some good carnitas...

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

I made the carnitas and they were fantastic. The orange flavor came through well and the pork itself was very tender. In the final shredding step I did have relatively large chunks of pork left over, so it's likely that that's why they didn't dry out as much as other people reported. I also made a quick pan sauce out of the bag juices which turned out well.

How long did you let the meat marinate before cooking? I'm wondering if that's where my problem was, because as soon as I bagged it, I dropped it in the cambro. The recipe doesn't suggest otherwise, but I wonder if letting it sit in the fridge for 24 hours might have helped.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Bogart posted:

Made a rump roast. 14 hours at 134, with a dry rub. Looks like my old-rear end Meh refurbished sealer isn't cutting the mustard anymore, let a bit of water leak in (but not out? idk. hypotronic solution, or something. science is hard!). The meat still looks fine. Is it safe to sear and serve?

Water infiltration isn't really a safety problem.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

1/20,000 eggs is contaminated with salmonella; most normal healthy people infected by salmonella experience no symptoms at all, and almost all the rest just get your usual food poisoning symptoms (diarrhea or vomiting) that resolves all on its own. Basically, you can eat a raw egg every day of your life and maybe you'll get the shits once.

Not saying it isn't neat you can pasteurize eggs, but IMO it's a waste of time unless you're feeding cookie dough to the elderly or immunocompromised. Of course, it's your time and you may balance your risks differently.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Guys, real chefs shouldn't use sous vide!

gently caress that lazy pan searing and oven cooking, too. I can do Maillard reactions at home. Really, the only restaurant that employs real chefs anymore is the Fermilab cafeteria. If my steak is not butchered to nanometer precision using gigawatt lasers and then cooked in a 1 TeV positron beam for that exotic particle flavor, what's the chef for?

Edit: just reading all his responses in the comments makes it clear he's trolling for controversy and clicks.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 2, 2017

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

That would be silly. C. botulinum spores are literally everywhere, including on everything you put in your vacuum bag. Garlic is not exceptional in any regard.*

If you're storing any food in an anaerobic environment it can only be for a limited time at the right (refrigerated) temperatures - unless you can pressure-cook it (as in canning; to achieve temps able to destroy the spores), acidify it (as with jams, ketchup, or mayo), or keep it dry (dried herbs).

* Edit: Other than that people are more aware of botulism in regards to making garlic-infused oil. But sticking anything wet and nonacidic in oil for an extended period gives you the same problems.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 2, 2017

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

The specific heat argument makes no sense either, as bone actually has a lower specific heat than meat (which is hardly surprising considering meat is mostly water, and water has a crazy high specific heat).

I'd speculate your discrepancy more comes down to slight differences in the makeup of the two sets of steaks. Thickness, marbling, retained fluids and what have you. I'd be curious to get one consistent set of bone-in ribeyes and debone half of them before cooking as an experiment.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

I am feeding literal children.

We know. But to who? WHO ARE THESE MONSTERS?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Hopper posted:

Also he doesn't address the garlic/botulism questions in the comments at all.
I know this comes up every now and again, but I never paid attention. What's the deal with that? Should I ignore that topic or is there something to it?

This myth needs to die. There is no botulism danger that is specific to garlic. The only reason the two are even associated is that idiots make garlic oil by just throwing garlic into olive oil and letting it sit at room temperature for days and weeks at a time. Don't put any food product in an anaerobic environment and then leave it sitting in the temperature danger zone unless you want botulism - excepting properly sterilized (treated to >250 degree temps to destroy the spores, as is done in canning) or properly acidified (<4.6 pH, as is done with correctly prepared garlic oil) items.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I have the larger cambro and have never bothered to insulate it; my Anova has no trouble maintaining 180 F (highest I've gone) so you should have no difficulty aside from dying of botulism (I kid).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I'm going to give them a tiny bit of slack, in that they're right that the FDA/USDA guidelines are "very general," as they must be if you're trying to come up with one number (actually two, they state one hour in the danger zone above 90 degrees) to cover all possibilities. I mean, we're all familiar with the FDA guideline to cook poultry to 165 degrees, and why that general guideline isn't useful for certain more specific situations.

Most bacterial growth rates peak around human body temperature +- about 10 degrees; rates really start to drop off as you go outside the peak range (our bodies take advantage of this, using fever to slow pathogen growth when an infection is detected). So they're correct in noting that time in the danger zone <70 degrees and <50 degrees is really different than time at room temperature/"still warm from cooking" temperature.

All that said, they clearly have done no rigorous testing, are at best skirting the edges of what MIGHT be safe, and it's an overpriced, over complicated, and in many ways limited gadget so... no thanks.