Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Princess Sheepy posted:

This particular Youtube Let's Play of TimeSplitters is kind of special to me. The LP is about two years old, unfinished, and the last sign of life of Youtube user MyCatIsGo. But what makes it so special is not just him and his nerdy, nasally voice, but his so-called friends co-commentating who basically make the whole thing come together. The LPer is kind of unfunny, annoying, and a bit of a dick and tells his co-commentators to shut up a lot, so the co-commentators don't hesitate to make fun of him and the game. There are only seven short videos of the LP, but you really only have to watch the first three parts to witness the LPer get more and more fed up with his possibly stoner friends and their lovable antics. Without them, this would just be another bad Let's Play.

It kind of still is.

It's basically a 2007-style LP. It's...beautiful. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Why are you guys being so hard on him? The sky's the limit for a guy who's willing to put the kind of effort you see in his personalized banner into his LPs. IMO some of that money will go toward an SA account so he can help out those in need around the 'sandcastle.

Because he's an idiot and should be mocked?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I think that was sarcasm, but it's not like it was incredibly easy to tell.

I'm an idiot and should be mocked.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's not an excuse for his behavior, but if most of his income goes to charity, it means he isn't trying to crank out videos for money. Maybe for views/popularity, though.

i don't think there's anything to suggest he donates most of his money to charity though. given how he apparently quit college, I'm pretty sure he's in it for the money.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Roar posted:

I bet it was a fake planted video.

:siren: MYREALGIRLFRIENDBLOWSME.avi :siren:

I wouldn't be surprised if his girlfriend is just part of his shtick because he is such an unpleasant person to be with.

that's way too complicated for DSP to think of/do

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

I'm guessing they were streaming when doing something like that, because if they were recording and accidentally put that in the recording then why didn't they edit it out? Do they not care if something like that is in their video? Did they not look back through their footage? Or is every second they don't record something a waste of a second when they could be making more MONEY.

i'm sure it's them not bothering to edit it. definitely so in dsp's case.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Didn't what'shisface LordKat just straight up start masturbating once during a stream, forgetting he was streaming? You'd think if you make your living filming yourself playing videogames in front of a live audience, you'd be more careful about what you're doing and what tabs you have open at the time.

Ahahahaha if that is true that is hilarious. how the hell do you forget that you're streaming

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

Another part of that DSPositive video showed him in one of the Souls games; I think Demon's Souls. He apparently tried level grinding and the game punished him with a PvP boss that was also level 90. That went over pretty well.

before I go searching for this, anyone have a link? I want to see how badly he gets owned by a pvp old monk :allears:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Slowbeef posted:

I basically know nothing about Dark Souls (I just killed the Capra Demon), but don't skeletons give relatively poo poo HP for the fight? Hell, even I figured out if you wanted, you can just run up to that dragon in Undead Burg, make him kill the people on the bridge, and go to the bonfire right downstairs. You could loop that for an easy 555 souls in like, a minute each time.

He's talking about Demon's Souls, not Dark. The skeletons he's referring to actually do give quite a number of souls, but still small enough that you would have to grind for quite a while to get to the level that DSP did.

As for Dark Souls, the graveyard skeletons to give pretty terrible souls. The Drake bridge isn't that great either, fyi.

also you mean souls, not hp

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

One SGF stream everyone should watch is the Plumbers Don't Wear Ties one. Mainly because of the chat's interaction with the game's stupidity.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUS_5ao5WEQ

Hands down the best blind Dark Souls LP. She's pretty much the only blind Dark Souls LPer I've ever seen that's not literally retarded.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

gatz posted:

Why is that worth the time, though? Why not go play another video game, or read a book with new ideas you haven't thought about?

Because there's nothing quite like Dark Souls (aside from Demon's Souls).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sorites posted:

Also, people actually do "Let's Play" books and movies. Mark Does Stuff is a blog where a super-cool dude experiences popular media he's never been exposed to, commentates on it more-or-less daily, and everyone has reaction-gif parties in the comments. I also recently read an amazing blog series where a lady who'd never seen Star Wars watched all the movies in Machete Order and wrote along in real time.

Link?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Stux posted:

After watching him play other fighting games this mustve been a fluke. I mean he complains about not being to block while audibly mashing buttons its ridiculous.

Isn't that the one where DSP won because the console version, which DSP is used to, was used instead of the arcade version, which the pros are used to?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

edit: If anyone can tell me how to post video links without the drat auto-embed, that would be just swell.

code:
[url]link[/url]
If you type [url*] before pasting the link it won't autoconvert the link into an embed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You should take that to the official Retsupurae thread.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sneaky Fast posted:

I'm not trying to be sanctimonious but, I don't get what is funny about intentional corrupting games and then acting surprised when it doesn't function properly.

It's more acting shocked at the crazy poo poo that happens. Cause when you corrupt you don't have any idea what's going to happen, to the point where it may literally not start. There was a thread here for corruptions, not sure if it's still around, that has some pretty good videos.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This is probably my favorite non-goon corruption videos, for just how ridiculously the game corrupts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu04U-Yb2qs

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

I dont know if you read the youtube comments on your dark souls videos slowbeef, but the main reason resistance is completely poo poo is that the boost is so tiny, the main boost you can get to your status resists come from armor and equipment. You're really terrified of curse, as you should be. But check out your equipment, some armor sets actually should have quite a bit of resistance against curse!

That's not the only reason. The defense boost that resistance contributes to is also contributed to by liquid humanity, and it has diminishing returns. This doesn't mean much for new players who won't have much liquid, but each point of liquid humanity has the same effect as a point of resistance (while also boosting other things Res does not). If you have 99 liquid then having 99 Res gives you a whopping four defense points.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

Okay here's what you need to do:
Go to his house when he's not home and tape a note to the do that just says "PLAY BAD RATS." Keep doing that for a month until he caves in and finally discovers what a bullshit game really is.

If he does this what will end up happening is DSP will miraculously solve every level on the first try. And then he will be the King of Rats.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

I actually watched a little bit of that, he says that the game is "supposedly" the third and final game in the trilogy, as if there is an off chance that Square Enix was doing some false advertising and the game is really a sequel to Brave Fencer Musashi.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if square made another FFXIII game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jamesman posted:

He explicitly said in his Dark Souls playthrough that he said that he wouldn't even be playing the game if he wasn't getting paid for it. He's admitted he doesn't like games and is only doing it for money.

This is what I don't get. If this is just a poo poo-pay job for him, why doesn't he get an actual job that he'd probably hate less and would get work experience, benefits, etc.

Tho I suppose if you yell at your games you don't get fired so that's probably why

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

As someone who's this deep into the FF XIII well, and is bloody-mindedly continuing, through a combination of actually kind of enjoying the gameplay and laughing at the melodrama in the plot, it'll actually be kind of hilarious, as XIII-3 can't be beaten by grinding. Well... it can, but it'd take a LONG time. Not as hilarious as him playing the first XIII though. He MANUALLY SELECTED COMBAT ACTIONS for every turn, for approximately a million videos. (If you've never played the game, that is A Dumb Way To Play)

No it isn't. The auto fight is pretty dumb in a lot of situations, so you do want to take manual control a fair amount.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

At least it appears to be mostly dead. Not enough idiots to fuel it i guess.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

unfair posted:

Because that isn't how you fence currency. They wouldn't try to sell them on the open market if they wanted to cash them in. What you do is sell the whole wallet to a third party for a percentage of what it's "worth". That third party then gets the risk/profit from selling it off piecemeal slowly. That's assuming they actually care to sell them.

I think he's saying "why don't they sell them all at once and crash the market." Which would be the ideal situation.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Especially with a subculture with an undeniable and demonstrable mainstream appeal

Because let's plays are on the news every day

You also don't seem to realize that the popular let's players that give it a wider attention are guys like PDP.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Why? You can easily ignore the shitheels, especially when it's a hobby based in the Internet.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RSCNyx posted:

Argh. I'm not looking forward to him acquiring Dark Souls 2. He did a great job murdering the first two Souls games already. Think the damage is done! You don't have to play it!

Doesn't he stream all of his playing before uploading it? If so I look forward to attempting to invade him.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

My point was less "LP IS SERIOUS BUSINESS" and more that if you're a fuckhead and you're part of a silly subculture, you're still a fuckhead and I don't want you there. I'm not defending the honour of LP or something silly like that, but any apparent attempt to express that I'd rather just not have certain LP'ers around is met with a bunch of idiotic posts completely missing the point.

If you don't like how someone acts, just ignore them.

quote:

PewDiePie is the most subscribed to channel on YouTube. A decently large number of the top most subscribed channels are gaming channels. I think it's fair to say LP has some degree of mainstream appeal.

So? Go out and ask a random sample of people who he is. I doubt you'd get much recognition. I love stupid internet poo poo and I didn't hear about him until a few months ago.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This isn't up for debate, the numbers speak for themselves.

You're making suppositions based on your own observations. If you can quote actual studies that support your opinions, they'd be more valid. As it is, they're just as valid as my own (which is to say, not very).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't agree with this at all. Unless it's a study, it doesn't count? Like, the viewcounts and subscriber counts are clearly there. People, large numbers of people, watch LP. I don't see how there's anything against this.

Yes. Because you can't draw conclusions just by looking at numbers. There's so many potential factors you're not considering, not to mention the very nebulous nature of what "mainstream" is, that you can't draw any good conclusions. You can draw conclusions and have opinions based on those conclusions, but they will have no weight behind them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Was this started before or after Twitch Plays Pokemon because this guy is either a visionary or someone who didn't grasp why the former was on a livestreaming website.

How is he even maintaining the session across the various days it's apparently taken to reach this point? Does he just leave the game on all day or what

There are people that just leaver their computers on all day, so that is possible.

looks like it started feb 15 so after TPP started (I think).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Angrymog posted:

They do to a crazy amount - I did a fake newbie Dark Souls stream a few times using the name 'TheBritishChick' - stupid numbers of viewers compared to my normal channel, even when I changed the channel background to a photoshopped Tom of Finland piece.

You should do that again btw (maybe with dks2?); watching the twitch chat squirm was amusing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BMS posted:

Also, there is this little area....

That's a pretty great troll

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jamesman posted:

MisterShizno's video is from the PC version, but that should make very little difference regarding the issues I'm referring to in this instance. I would say Phil needs to spend less time fine-tuning his video game characters, and more time fine-tuning his video output.

There's not much better you can make a camcorder LP.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dr. Buttass posted:

It's been a while since I watched or even thought about Spoony but the last I heard he has just about the shittiest fans its possible to have without being My Little Pony. Like his girlfriend won't do videos anymore, his friends hesitate to do videos with him and don't want him featuring their videos on his site, basically everyone who's not Spoony gets this deluge of bile if they stray even a little bit near the radar of Spoony's audience, and sometimes when they're bored they turn the hose on Spoony himself; like no one involved has to actually do anything wrong, Spoony has just managed to accrue an audience that consists almost entirely of people who can only enjoy themselves by making other people feel threatened and unsafe in as graphic and overdone a way as possible. Kind of makes me wonder why he still makes videos.

Might have to do with the fact that his style of commentary is a very negative and aggressive one. Might be similar to how Retsupurae had/has fans that do poo poo like sending death threats to people they've rp'd.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

I went and watched some of the Gaming Grumps after every second person in the thread was posting about how funny and entertaining they are.

Now I don't trust any of your opinions, that Towerfall video was anti-humor.

Goons have really lovely taste.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Markiplier when he's not in character comes off as a pretty enjoyable guy to watch. I kind of wish he would drop the whole "Pewdiepie Junior" act and do his gaming thing as himself because then he might have something watchable.

He'd also probably be much less popular so that's doubtful.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

See though, he's already gotten some popularity. He's at the point now where if he makes a gradual change to his style over time, bringing himself down a notch into something more calm and properly thought out, he has enough of a fanbase that he won't just disappear from loss of viewers. He's not really in the precarious early stage where he has to make something of himself or die out.

The thing is, I imagine a lot of his fans are teens/pre-teens like with Pewdiepie. As such there's a constant flow of new fans being attracted to his style, so if he changes it slowly he'll lose his current fans as they get bored and won't attract new incoming ones.

At the very least, he has no reason to fix what ain't broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MooCowlian posted:

I'm honestly surprised there's any kind of adult following for any of the more entertainment/personality based LPers, although maybe I'm giving people too much credit in assuming grown ups would be more interested in, at the very least, reasonable production values and a certain level of non-idiocy.

Larry the Cable Guy

• Locked thread